Henderson Group Employee Reviews

Great company with strong family values.
HR Specialist (Current Employee) –  Northern Ireland8 March 2019
For such a large organisation the support that you receive on an individual basis and as a team is second to none. There is a complete "homely" feel across the business and everyone is treated as an equal regardless of level or position which is rare in an organisation of this size.

The company are going from strength to strength and have heavily invested in people development, facilities and rewards which speaks volumes of the type of company Henderson Group are and want to be.

On an individual basis I am feel constantly challenged in my role and feel incredibly valued by my line manager and colleagues. Overall a great place to work with great benefits and family values.
Pros
Benefits, working hours, free parking, support from senior staff.
Deli-Assistant
DELI-ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Belfast County Borough5 March 2019
I only lasted 6 months deli-assistant, the reasons for leaving were:

Staff continuously calling in sick meaning you were then left to wash up, prepare food for cooking for the day and the next day, making sandwiches, preparing lunchtime meals stock taking when you had the time to do so, then at the end of the day having to Honeywell the waste, plus clean up and always feeling under pressure in case you did do the job right, I started at 6 am and most times didn't get home to 6 pm yes you have read it right... as staff not rotated at times to stay the same time as me

Shop floor staff with NO training having to cover deli

Having to load stock from cages into fridges when working alone leaving the deli un-managed HEALTH & SAFETY issue

Having to stock take, check and cost the stock when being on your own as mentioned below

Deli- manager ordering two to three cages of stock then staff left to unload the cages at the weekend when working on own as other spar staff refusing to unload cages as it wasn't on their job description can't really blame them when the store itself always running on skeleton staff

Deli manager applied for another spar Deli and therefore leaving the Deli with NO manager!!! assisted manager bridged his concerns about her being offered the role in the other store but was basically told it was going to happen rather he liked it or not, so here we had a deli counter with NO manager an inexperienced staff basically running the deli counter with NO manager and doing the missing managers job

Working the weekend and been told by deli-manager
  more... the reason why she didn't work the weekend was that she was told by Hendersons that she didn't have too because she made the most profit during the week

Didn't even receive any communication from Hendersons asking why I left not even a phone call, the assistant manager from the store was very polite and he was the only one that contacted me and asking me not to go...
Pros
Good life time balance
Cons
early starts, always short staffed, working alone
Family run company
Support (Current Employee) –  Head Office20 February 2019
Henderson Group is a family run company and is a great place to work. There are good benefits such as healthcare scheme and Perks card. There are opportunities for lots of social events and progression.
Progressive company & brilliant to work for
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Northern Ireland20 February 2019
The team who I work with are brilliant and whilst our numbers have grown significantly over the years, I still love working with the majority of people in the company.
Even when I'm having an off day, I know that there is someone on hand who can listen and help.
The employee benefits for a company of this size are great and whilst some could be improved, on the whole, my remuneration package is generous.
My line manager is one of the most progressive and forward thinking manager's I've ever had and is a pleasure to work with.
The hardest part of my role would be trying to influence reluctant or closed minded individuals.
Contrary to this, the most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the impact of having successfully influenced or helped a particular team or individual.
Pros
My immediate team; charity work
Cons
Infrastructure not growing or adapting at the same speed of company growth
Warm and friendly place to work
HRIS Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Mallusk19 February 2019
I found Henderson to be a very friendly place to work. People made me feel welcome very quickly. People took good time to help me settle in.
The nature of the work was challenging but helped me develop better than with previous employers. It felt safe to take risks and try new ways of doing things.
Pros
Working environment, nature of work
Cons
Salary levels, performance management
Great Place to Work - Always pushing forward
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  mallusk19 February 2019
I have been with the Henderson group for a coupe of years now and really enjoy my job, I constantly feel challenged and supported in my role.
Henderson being such a large group with wide scope in business there is clear opportunity for career progression which Is supported by management.
There are lots of employee benefits on offer and a generous salary, in comparison with previous roles I can confirm it is superior to other companies.
Pros
Well supported, well paid, sense of job satisfaction
Cons
Nothing worth mentioning
Great company with a bright future
Supervisor/Team Leader level (Current Employee) –  Support Offices3 February 2019
With it being a large Group company there's lots of opportunity to move up and across the business. There are 4 different Group companies in Henderson Group, the stores -Henderson Retail and then there's Henderson Wholesale, Henderson Foodservice and Henderson Property.

I've been with the company for a few years now and it's a great working environment, lots happening in terms of growth which also provides good job security They invest profits back into the business into new stores, refurbished stores, expanded stores, new warehouses, office blocks etc - all to ensure it stays ahead of the game. They also give a lot back to the community and good causes. Not many employers will match what the employees fundraise and I also give to charity through the payroll - Henderson's match that too.

There's a good mix of people, lots of long-serving employees and due to the growth of the business there's been lots of new faces join over the last few years.

Despite it being a large company it still has maintained that family feel about it which is great (good support network right from the top down) and they're very innovative to keep improving. It's fast moving, new things are always being introduced to keep us up with the best which is good as any ideas you have to add value they're supported to move on quickly.

Great company to work for.
Pros
Opportunities to advance, good benefits, growth business, supportive working environment, job security
At the brink of a breakdown
On of the many scapegoats (Current Employee) –  Northern Ireland30 January 2019
Understaffed, over worked, underpaid! Had many medical problems while being pregnant and not one ounce of care shown. Had to beg to be allowed to start my leave. Constantly used as a scape goat to hide terrible management issues. Management are a joke including store and area managers. Only allowed Xmas day off which you take as one of your holidays.

Hope HR see these reviews and start to ask why are they so bad? I still work in store as I need the money but it’s a very hard place to work you need to be thick skinned and stand up for yourself! Also constantly see staff pushed out by management. Sounds great at the interview, it makes you excited to start and then you realise your seen as even less than a number.

They are meant to be a local family store but it’s about making money and they don’t care about anyone and really damages your mental health which is also something they have no respect for!
Pros
full time contracted hours
Cons
no breaks extra hours unpaid and no help
Horrible work environment from management + workplace bullying, poor salary with few benefits
Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Newtownabbey, County Antrim11 January 2019
Workers shown disdain, and are treated like used napkins; disposable and easily replaced

Job was always fun because of my colleges, however management, CEOs and company structure is far to be desired

A company with highly questionable morals and a weird view on how to treat staff
Pros
Getting paid so I can survive...
Cons
Nearly every moment of working for Henderson Group
A great company to develop your career with!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Northern Ireland8 January 2019
I have worked for this company for 15 years, and overall It is a fantastic place to be. It is hard work and days are challenging, but this is appreciated by managers and is also rewarded by numerous awards for those who achieve great performance. Job security is great, and there are lots of opportunities to learn and develop your career- I have been promoted internally a couple of times, and so have many of my colleagues. Whilst the company is growing, the culture still reflects a local, family owned business with community at the heart of everything. I have worked for multinational companies previously and there is definitely more of a caring culture at Henderson's- This is one of the reasons I have stayed so long. The hardest part of the job is the pace of work and change, but this is also the most exciting part! The working day goes so quickly and the work is so varied, so its always interesting.
The company and managers support numerous charitable causes through donations and fundraising events- it feels good to be part of a business that gives something back, and for the right reasons.
All in all, a great place to work!
Pros
Career Opportunities, Caring Culture
Slave labour
LGV Driver (Former Employee) –  Mullusk28 December 2018
If you fancy doing 12 hr days, trying to find products in badly picked trolleys, finding calls in areas you don't know, listening to customers complain about hendersons foodservice, hauling heavy products up and down stairs, routes planned the wrong way leading to the help desk ringing you constantly, working out a bonus scheme that no one explains how it works, then finding out your getting about £8 an hr. Then this is the job for you.
Probably forgot about some things. The interview sold it to me but all was false.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
As explained in my review
No work life balance, worse than working for the big retailers
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Northern Ireland27 December 2018
A company that is growing and expects more and more from their management teams in stores but without support from senior management, area manager one in particular expect your store and results to be always perfect even with little support from above, staff expected to cover post office through whole of store opening leading to no breaks at times, management expected to work extra hours for free especially around the Xmas period, for the so called directors visit which are hypocritical as they are supposed to be as a thank you visit from the directors for the past years work but end up putting more stress and pressure on as everything has to be packet perfect which isn't reality. Dont try and hand your notice in as you will be bullied out of your store and demoted from your position as a store manager for the whole of your notice period in order to protect company secrets for this so called small family owned business, stock takes done in December in the run up to Xmas with results taking up to 3 months to get and are not a people focused company they are only concerned about making as much money and having as much power as possible and if you try and question their methods or systems you are spoken down to, you are only a robotic number who does the bidding of the masters no room for self thought, or having new ideas.
Paperwork was constant and some systems so archaic for a big company they are stuck in the past and outdated, making job roles even longer and having to spend more time than necessary on tasks as this is what the head office demanded.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
No breaks on most shifts, extra hours worked meant manager at times on minimum wage.
14 January 2019

Many thanks for your recent review.

We are extremely disappointed to hear you have had a negative experience during your time with us whilst managing in one of our stores. We are continuously looking at ways to improve our staff experience and we take all comments/reviews both positive and negative very seriously.

It would be great to speak with you in more detail about your own experience so as we can improve our staff experience for all current and future team members.

Would it be possible to arrange a confidential chat? If so please email people.services@henderson-group.com to arrange a time that is convenient for you.

Busy busy busy
Retail Accountant (Former Employee) –  Mallusk, Newtownabbey5 November 2018
Henderson Group is a great local employer with high standards generally.
There is unfortunately a culture whereby some of the directors can bully vulnerable staff.
The protocols are in place to deal with this behaviour, however they do not appear to be adhered to.

I did generally enjoy my time at Hendersons, and if that atmosphere were to improve, then I would have no hesitation about returning there to work, if asked.
Pros
local, fast moving work environment, busy all the time
Cons
pressure due to unrealistic deadlines
11 December 2018

Many thanks for your recent review.

We are extremely disappointed to hear you have had a negative experience during your time with us. We are continuously looking at ways to improve our staff experience and we take all comments/reviews both positive and negative very seriously.

Can be very Stressful
Team Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim19 October 2018
Very fast paced environment, Can be a stressful company to work for. Rates of pay not as good as your supermarkets and shift patterns can change quite frequently and with very little notice.
Do nothing and you will be a team leader
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Antrim, County Antrim15 October 2018
I worked there for 4 year if you are lazy you go far in spar the way they treat people is like dirt the manger take all the credit for your hard work spar brake the rules all the time when you brake the rule everyone ewill no workmate and head office it all profits that all they want they get you to lie to customers they don't date codes spar there for you that ishe a lie all they want is profit I would kill myself before I work for spar there are pack cowboy who will rip you off and walk all over you
Pros
Cons
Lazy worker
great company to work for
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Broughshane4 September 2018
Good place to work Excellent work colleagues .very busy .The hardest part of the job was a late finish followed by an early start .the most enjoyable part of the job was building a rapport with the regular customers Management was o.k
Pros
good employees
Cons
assistant manager
14 September 2018

Hello,

Thank you for your recent review.

We are delighted that you are enjoying your time working with us and apprentice you taking the time to write your review.

If there is ever anything you feel may need attention please feel free to let us kno as we are always looking at ways to improve our teams experience.

You can do so by emailing people.services@henderson-group.com.

Best Regards

Glen

Badly run
customer advisor at my local supermarket Eurospar (Former Employee) –  Dromara3 September 2018
I have a great time there but the manager was terrible. Didn't know how to run a store and how to treat employees right. Other than that it was a good time.
14 September 2018

Hello,

Thank you for your recent review.

We are delighted that you have enjoyed your time with us but are disappointed with your experience of working with one of our managers.

We are always trying to identify areas of training that may be required with our staff so that we are continously learning and improving each day.

It would be great to hear more about your experience of working with us so as we can look to improve where necessary.

If you would be willing to discuss further please contact us at people.services@henderson-group.com to arrange a confidential chat.

Recruitment Team

Poor management dont care about staff inequality for staff and job roles
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Antrim, County Antrim20 August 2018
A poor management team who doesn't care about staff and only care about getting the job done, they have an inequality for staff and as well as job roles

Head office doesn't even help so when things do go bad dont bother asking them, they won't supply it

And god forbid if you try and speak to a supervisor about getting a different task to do because their word is law after all.

They have a tendency to turn you in to a slave and glue you to the tills for 8 hour shifts
Pros
Cons
8 hour shifts standing at tills and not moving
29 August 2018

Many thanks for your recent review.

We are extremely disappointed to hear you have had a negative experience during your time with us whilst being based in one of our stores. We are continuously looking at ways to improve our staff experience and we take all comments/reviews both positive and negative very seriously.

Great Company on Paper. Wouldnt recommend working here
Manager (Former Employee) –  Various10 August 2018
Unachievable targets due to lack of staff. Break schedules ( whats a break ). Very rare that you finish your shift on time. Staff constantly being put under pressure. Having to cover other shops due to no staff, leaving your own shop understaffed. Cant get away from your work station as your so busy due to lack of staff, but not allowed water at your work station.
Extra staff brought in when theres visits from head office to make the place look good. Only closed christmas day and you have to use 1 if your holiday days for it, holidays need to be booked for the full year by January.
Wages would be great if you only worked your contracted hours, anything worked after that is unpaid and you can forget about getting your time back.
No work life balance at all
17 September 2018

Many thanks for your recent review.

We would really like to speak with you about your experience of working with us in more detail so as we can improve our staff experience.

If you would be interested in speaking with us in complete confidence about your time with us please contact people.services@henderson-group.com to arrange a suitable time.

Soul destroying
Tea. Leader (Current Employee) –  Coleraine, County Londonderry27 July 2018
If your looking for a job with exceptionally high standards are expected to be achieved with minimal/no training provided. (being thrown in at the deep end is an understatement). Poor management and staff morale then sign the dotted line....
Ludicrous direction from head office constantly to cut the wage budget expecting unachievable standards for the purpose of self profit to make their quality of life better with no regards to anyone below them. Staff constantly being put under immense pressure, working long hours and being expected to stay over your time without any extra pay. For example. You are paid 6-3 when you really are expected to do 5.50-3.45. Or 3-12 when it's always 3-12.30. Losing 2.5-5 hours work a week pay that soon adds up to benefit this corrupt so called top 100 companies to work in. Worst thing about it is that the people high up in don't have a clue what they are doing and couldn't run a shift to save their lives yet expect to make targets pulled out of the sky.
This company will offer you the stars and the moon at the interview to get you on board sadly this isn't carried through into the jobs itself when you become an official employee.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Over worked, under paid, under appreciated, under sold, pressurised, take advantage of, expected to learn yourself
6 August 2018

Hello,

Many thanks for your feedback.

We are always greatly disappointed to hear of any negative feedback or that anyone did not enjoy their experience of working with us especially those are are still part of our team.

We would like to speak with you in more detail about your concerns within your role and what we could do better as we fully value our staff feedback. We are always looking at ways to improve our staff experience and hope that we would be able to assess what your current concerns are to do this.

If you would like to discuss your concerns you can be assured that all conversations are treated in the strictest confidence.

Please message us back to arrange if possible.

Recruitment Team

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Henderson Group. Our community is ready to answer.