Henderson Group

Henderson Group Employee Reviews

United Kingdom76 reviews
Disregard for staff happiness and concerns. Unrealistic deadlines, unmanageable workload, understaffed. A serious lack of communication and responsibility between departments. No sense of career progression or milestones to achieve
I have worked at 2 stores over the past 18 months and I have had mixed experiences. My first store was a good place to work with a great manager and a really close knit team that worked hard but knew how to make the job enjoyable. Most importantly the people in this store recognised the role for what it was, a low paying role which is a job not a career. This made work life balance quite good with a lot of consideration given to people personal lives.

Que moving to a bigger store which reminds me of School. The manager believes she is CEO of Microsoft and unfortunately if you are not a member of her favoured team then you are going to struggle. We once had two members of staff off sick and the manager (Deli) off which left only one person to clean down with the help of a stand in store manager who had never worked a deli before. The person had to leave at 3pm due to family commitments and they were pulled into the office the next day and threatened with their job as the standards of cleanliness had not been great due to it being a one man operation. This is your reward if your colleges decide they are too depressed to go to work and you try and pick up the pieces yourself.

My advice if you take the job and want to be a success at all costs? Work all the extra hours, give up family life, get a Henderson tattoo and you'll fit right in as part of the cult... family!
Pros
They let you leave and go home
Cons
Egotistical managament. horrible hours. horrible pay. Horrible management
Head office staff do ok, shop staff not so, treated badly. Health & safety a joke. Owners ('good living' with Christian values (mmmm!)) and management profit (profiteer) whilst treating retail based staff poorly. Avoid this company.... culture not good. Huge profits but pay shop staff buttons. Some of Henderson's practices are not found in the 'How to be a Christian' handbook.
Pros
None unless you're in their club
Cons
Too many to list
good to work for would recommend to friends but make sure you get your work life balance right work load can take over, good perks as in 10% off groceries and 2p off fuel, they also pay you Millage if you use your car for work use
Hypocrisy, unreasonable targets, management that act like school kids and blatant disregard for it's staff.
If this sounds like your kind of working environment join Hendersons and seek professional help.
Some great people in the place but overall, the place is a disgrace when it come to being paid. Can work overtime for free, wages are never correct and the hours are ridiculous
Unfair salaries for obscene amount of additional hours.

upper management have a severe bully mentality and treat staff as numbers.

Career progression if you know the right people.
Don’t work here unless you know the manager is a people person and treats with you respect
Manager can’t work under pressure and shouts at everyone

Understaffed and manager expects you to do everything by the time your shift ends which you can’t because you trying to work on the floor but there is customers wanting to get served at the tills and no staff to serve them. Regular customers not coming in anymore because there’s no staff and notices the manager is not a people person
20 April 2020

Many thanks for your review.

We are extremely disappointed to hear you are had a negative experience while being in one of our stores. We are continuously looking at ways to improve our staff experience and we take all comments/reviews both positive and negative very seriously.

It would be great to speak with you in more detail about your experience so as we can improve our staff experience for all current and future team members.

Recruitment Team
ive been an employee for 6 years, still a student and I live in a small town so no other job prospects.
The staff is extremely undervalued. management gets all the rewards and benefits. recently got any bonus for going above targets took off us, (management still get theirs) for a 10p above minimum wage pay rise, the Asda in our town pays £9+ an hour and double time on bank holidays also time and a half on Sundays. you only get the one hourly rate with Henderson.

the working environment doesn't even make up for the awful pay. management seems to get their job through kissing up to bosses, not for actual management skills, communication, leadership skills are awful from management.

head office employees have no idea what it is to work in a shop and are constantly trying to switch things up but nothing seems to work it's not realistic the ideas they keep sending down to us.

I wish I could give minus stars.

moral is shocking manager of my store has anger issues and the previous manager was as arrogant as trump, he got a promotion of course. Honestly ive felt the shop is sectarian.

The stuff ive got in trouble for is ridiculous, 40mins late to work once and I was in so much trouble, write up put in my folder warning ect, when my dept manager was an hour late the week before and it was laughed about.

being expected to show up and do loads of extra work the nights before head office visits over your own hours and when you say no you have plans already manager cries that there's no teamwork.

I was going through a rough time, I was alone in my department working that day
 - more...
20 April 2020

Many thanks for your review.

We are extremely disappointed to hear you are having a negative experience while being in one of our stores. We are continuously looking at ways to improve our staff experience and we take all comments/reviews both positive and negative very seriously.

Recruitment Team
I have worked for Henderson Foodservice for the past 14 years. In my time, here it has gone from strength to strength.

I have an excellent manager who supports me and encourages me to be the best I can. It has good benefits and it’s a very secure job. We are a fast growing business and expanding quickly. This leads to employing more people which is always good to see.

It is a good place to work and I would recommend it. You can grow within the company and improve continually with the training and support offered.
I have worked at the Head office in the Henderson group for the past three years. I work in the projects team, in my time i have designed numerous projects , there is always multiple projects to work on and there is a lot of experience in the team to learn from. it is a very busy environment to work in and there is always a lot going on.

A typical day for me can start anywhere in the countryside, i could be in head office then out and about the rest of the day to different site meetings. It is great to have a balance of being in an office and getting out onto sites.

I was keen to push on with my career, in order to do this i wanted to go back to university to study . My manager really helped with this and encouraged me. The company has also supported me in my efforts to study my masters. Henderson's have stood by me and i feel valued by this.

Thank you for your recent review.

We are delighted that you are enjoying your time working with us and appreciate you taking the time to write your review and leave us the above feedback.

If there is ever anything else you feel may need attention please feel free to let us know as we are always looking at ways to improve our teams experience.

Recruitment Team
A typical day is fairly fast paced, in an environment which requires a lot of communication between colleagues who are great to work with and have no problem helping to solve any problems that you may have.

Management are easy to talk to and are keen to push your career to make the most of your potential. Most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the progress you have made on site from design to completion.

I have found during your career here you are given a lot of freedom to make the decisions you want to see in a commercial development. Although all Ideas may not be used but they are always considered and given constructive feedback.

Overall I have felt like a valued employee.

Recruitment Team
Working is exactly how one would expect: you serve customers and face shelves and that is about the height of it. You only get your schedule for the next week at the end of the previous, which means that you are often unable to have a life outside of your job. The pay is low. I'd recommend it as someone's first job, or to someone who has never needed to work to see what working in retail is like.
Hello,

Many thanks for your recent review.

We are extremely disappointed to hear you had a negative experience with us while being in one of our stores. We are continuously looking at ways to improve our staff experience and we take all comments/reviews both positive and negative very seriously.

It would be great to speak with you in more detail about your own experience so as we can improve our staff experience for all current and future team members.

You can get in contact by emailing human.resources@henderson-group.com.

Recruitment Team
Hendersons dont care about their staff, you feel like your only a number and can be replaced at any moment. Dont recommend working here, unless your never want to see your family or friends.
Hello,

Many thanks for your recent review.

We are extremely disappointed to hear you are having a negative experience with us while being in one of our stores. We are continuously looking at ways to improve our staff experience and we take all comments/reviews both positive and negative very seriously.

You can contact us at human.resources@henderson-group.com.

Recruitment Team
I worked in the deli section of the spar, terrible management, rude to staff and left the staff to be on their own when they were needed because they wanted to have tea with the store manager. They don’t respect the holidays you have booked prior to the job and tell them at the interview

Recruitment Team
Management was the main reason that I left. The manager and duty manager were stressed and burnt out due to how they were managed by those above them that they took it out on their workers. Manager and supervisors often wouldn’t answer the bells for help even if it was urgent. Company morale was low, many employees at the store were actively seeking a new job. Health and Safety not adhered to, working unpaid overtime, working until 11pm and then put on at 7am the next morning, severely understaffed... I could go on. Please avoid this company!

Recruitment Team
Understaffed ( unless your lucky enough to be a favourite and on the manager and assistant managers shift because it’s seems to be where all the staff go ).
If your lucky enough to work in a Henderson store with a good management team you should have no problems - unfortunately in glenwell arrogance and a false sense of authority runs through the team.

Bullying is rife within the shop and because of this glenwell has new staff in and out the door every week possibly the worst staff turn over I’ve ever seen.

All in all the store and Henderson’s as a company are terrible to work for from being paid next to nothing to multiple staff out on the sick for stress at work.
Decent enough place to work for, i enjoy it even though it can do your head in and be tough like everywere but i give it a 9 outta 10, over all a decent enough place to work at and the staff and management are good to work for and i also like the fact that im being left alone to do my job

Recruitment Team
Management dont care, unrealistic "bonuses". Had to close at midnight and be in work for 6am the next day. Staff treated like slaves. Only get promoted any real promotions if you know the area managers well. Get traded around shops quite a lot. 37.5 contract is really 47.5 with no overtime. Asking for a day off seemed like a nightmare. Only positive is customer advisers who would actually become you friends.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Everything else

Many thanks for your review.

We are extremely disappointed to hear you had a negative experience while being part of one of our store based teams. We are continuously looking at ways to improve our staff experience and we take all comments/reviews both positive and negative very seriously.

Recruitment Team
They make me feel welcome and have great work ethic behind them. Every employee is bright and helpful.
Managers are a delight to work for!!

They are a great company to work for!

Recruitment Team
Was able to fit this in around my studies and they were very flexible when it came to organising my shifts when it came to exam time. Very busy store but always plenty of work to do without it being exhausting.

Thank you for your recent review.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your time working with us and appreciate you taking the time to write your review and leave us the above feedback.