Play YouTube video button

Helping Hands Employee Reviews

Management poor, not looking after their workers.
Live in Care Worker (Former Employee) –  UK3 October 2017
Caregivers were left on their own without support from managers.
Ill matched with clients.
Transport always paid promptly and so were wages and other expenses.
Pros
prompt payment, transport paid by company.
Official response from Helping Hands
28 December 2017

I am very concerned to hear that you don't feel supported by your management team. Please escalate and issues that you have with customer matching, placements or support to either your regional management team or though HR or QA. We Have large, skilled teams both at our head office and out in the field whose sole focus is to support our customers and carers so it is important that you let us know if things aren't working for you.
It is good to know that our support functions are looking after your transport, expense and pay requirements in a way that meets your needs.

Supporting and friendly
Hourly support worker (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire4 September 2017
As a new employee to Helping Hands I have found the company to be very supporting, friendly and thorough in their approach to new members of staff. Their focus is on ensuring each service user is treated as an individual.
Pros
Good wages
Cons
No travel allowence
Postive all roumd experience.
Hourly care worker. (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire31 August 2017
From Interview to training a positive experience. Direct manager approachable and keen to keep lines of communication open. Training was enjoyable and relevant and left you wanting to achieve.
Pros
Good hourly rate
Cons
None as yet.
Falsly sold as a good employer
prefer not to say (Current Employee) –  prefer not to say28 April 2017
company described as family run and orientated , but no support is given from above you are just left to your own devises and expected to get on with it.
They sell the company as quality driven but it isn't its all about hours and profit , quality comes last , very disappointing as I thought this would be my ideal job
Pros
Cons
lack of support, not as described, quick to hire and fire
disorganised & unsupportive place to work
Care Assistant (Hourly) (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex24 October 2018
My time of working with Colchester branch was nothing short of horrific. Managers would ignore my days off (and would constantly contact me to work on those days). In addition, rota us in to work earlier than requested. They would fill rota with calls to the point that it was unrealistic to fulfill visits in a timely manner. I was pressurised to work with a highly contagious customer. I was dumped into the role without any supervisory meetings to reassure me within my role. They would assign me to visits far outside my catchment (which meant that I lost alot of money regardless of if I was being paid 19p per mileage). They say that they take care of their employees first but they are more concerned about achieving their targets. The demands of the role is not realistic and is guaranteed to induce stress on anyone working within the role. In trying to expand so quickly they are bringing down the quality of service that a careworker can give to the customer. Training is rushed and can easily be forgotten once out working with customers. This increases risk of making mistakes, especially with MAR chart and medication. I would receive about £40 per day for working 7 hours (this factors in driving etc). My visits on rota were placed too close together or too far apart which meant I was always late for visits or having to wait around between visits. They promoted their favourite members of the team and in the process discouraged the rest of the team. Promotion is necessary but acknowledge, encourage and reward everyone (even if it's just a box of chocolates for team). Let them know  more... 'you see them.' The customers that I worked for were the highlight of my job. It was so fulfilling to know that I was making a difference in their lives.  less
Pros
great customers
Cons
so many - see review
good place to work
hourly carer (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk16 August 2017
really enjoyed working for helping hands visiting customers in their homes and helping their day to be a bit better. This including having a chat, assisting with personal care, domestic chores, meals and dinks.
Pros
good pay
Cons
travelling times
Hard work but rewarding.
Live in carer (Former Employee) –  all of the UK26 July 2017
Helping Hands is very contious of people's vulnerability and so they train their staff to a very high standard. most of its workers are live in carers that are trained in health and safety and moving and handling as well as other skills necessary to ensure the comfortable care of a customer.
a typical day at work would be assisting the client out of bed. help with all hygene routines and getting dressed. Make breakfast, prompt medication ,if aplicable and get client comfortable. then do the cleaning up and making of beds and sorting clothes for washing. arrange shopping and other daily meals.
Management is always available to assist in any query one may have.

The hardest part of this job is being away from your own family for weeks at a time but the most enjoyable is that you get to meet such wonderful and interesting people.
Pros
you are able to save money as all your food and water and electrisity is free while living in.
Cons
the long hours one sometimes has to work.
Lovely job-Management ok
Home Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands27 April 2017
Lovely job i really enjoyed working here- Management could how ever to with a lot more training.

Staff are very rude. If you have a day off and someone else phones in sick you get bombarded with phone calls. And penalized if you can not do what they are asking you to do.

Other than this great place.
Pros
Getting to help people
Horrendous
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Alcester, Warwickshire1 February 2017
Absolutely dreadful company to work for. Long hours, no lunch break, pressure to hit targets because the basic pay is pathetic. Almost non existent management support and changes to working practices without consultation.
Sells a service that sounds amazing but the business can't deliver.
The staff turnover is higher than any other company I'm aware of, you just have to look at the constant vacancies! A sausage factory that burns people out.
Pros
The staff
Good company
Carer (Former Employee) –  united Kingdom6 June 2017
Good company, with a good staff.Busy day with a lot of tasks. Helping with personal hygiene and with everything related with the house, food, money and personal life.
The client was tetraplegic, so this was the hardest part. The most enjoyable part was the client is a excellent and amazing person.
Pros
Client
Cons
Salary
Good company, friendly and a phone call away
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Prudhoe, Northumberland26 April 2017
Good company good pay a phone call away when you can get to speak to who u need, cant always get the hours you were promised and rotas are late out and sometimes not recived. No food contribution when doing 24hr shifts
Pros
Good hourly wage
Cons
Late rotas no hours spend alot of own money when out on food
Extremely rewarding
Home Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex12 August 2017
Extremely rewarding, great business management, flexible around my life but involves α huge amount of punctuality as the clients are completely reliant on you.
Pros
Great hourly rates
Cons
Preferably mobile
Adminestration was disfunctional,
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Various locations7 February 2017
As a health carer my main role was productive of my own personel imput,intuition and common sense along with a wide experience of type of care.
However,the adminestrarion side of the company was disfunctional,lack of support and incompetent in resolving problems.
Pros
Cons
Not meeting the minimum wage due to long hours
Management is brilliant
Community Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Derby23 May 2016
Helping hands doesn't just care outstandingly for the customer they care for their carers as well. Management have been amazing since day one. Never ever an issue with my hours, work 7 till 2 the hours I asked for when I first started. Every other weekend off. Opportunitys for hours all the time, they don't moan or complain when you say no to them. Always so helpful and on call 24/7. Even when Derby first started with helping hands, I expected a mess and disorganisation but was amazing and very professional. I have nothing bad to say about this company at all, I'm 21 and actually have a life now with my afternoons off and amazing pay at the end of the month
Pros
Amazing management
Cons
N/a
Loved the customers but the company is very disorganised
Live In Carer (Former Employee) –  Various locations5 January 2016
I really enjoyed the work itself and will continue with another company. I left because they are so unprofessional. They promise you everything during training and deliver nothing. I was told that after 6 months I could study for my NVQ 2 . . . when I enquired after 6 months service I was told there was no money left and there wouldn't be for some time. My local care services manager was wonderful and if the rest of the company had her work ethic, I would have stayed.
Pros
Fantastic opportunity to meet new people and visit family while earning
Cons
virtually no support from the office. Very poor communication.
Good way to save money but very little else.
- (Former Employee) –  -23 June 2015
As a live in carer, your freedom is almost completely taken away from you. The minimum amount of breaks eligible is not really enough. The office staff are not the most organised, so if you're planning to work as a temporary live in carer, make sure you can deal with last minute changes. The work conditions really depends on each placement - luck of the draw, really. It can be an interesting job, but make sure you're adaptable and can deal with being unsociable. In terms of pay, if you break it down to the hour, it's nothing. But there's no need to pay for rent or food, so money is almost straight into your pocket.
Productive and fun workplace
Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Essex14 August 2013
Being a care worker allows me meeting several different types of people, mainly elderly, with a great life experience that are happy to share with me. That makes tasks easy and funny.

My main duty is give company to these people, and help them to have a good life through their daily routine (getting up, having meals, toileting and going to bed). Help them if it is necessary in taking their medication and in going out of their homes.

The company is a support in any case, and takes care of looking for excellence in our job, what helps improving carers' skills everyday.
Pros
Meeting good people, with high values
Cons
Short social life apart from job
Helping Hands review
UK, temp livein carer (Former Employee) –  various places31 January 2015
I enjoyed working as a temp carer as i met new clients every
2 weeks so i had a chance to compare situations and value
customers.

The company itself was a bit disorganised having less office
help than would needed this is my view but i was always supplied
with continuos jobs which was good.

Typical day at work was helping clients with preparing food and
washing themselves. Doing shopping and accompany clients.
Taking them to hairdressers and surgery if was needed.

Hardest part was dealing with disabled clients and parkinsons
disease.
Pros
continuos covering never without work
Cons
bank holidays could have been paid more
terribe place work
specialized Home Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blyth, ENG2 May 2014
bad communication skills , no one knows what the other person doing even though the desk are next to each other .promise you 40 hours only given 9 ..phoning you expecting you to drop everything to do a house call when the other carer has called in sick because of a night out . two faced managers , very clicky. the owners of the foundation are wonderful just a shame about the rest.
Pros
free bar at xmas
Cons
driving exspences is disgusting dont get paid for the first 10 mile of each day .
Rewarding but very demanding.
Live-in Carer (Former Employee) –  Alcester, ENG14 August 2013
Live-in caring is a particulary demanding role. It is very rewarding in some respects but requires a lot of dedication and self-sacrifice in order to provide the service required by clients as well as the company. The hardest part of the role is having to forego your own social life etc for weeks on end.
Pros
Minimum living expenses as living in with clients.
Cons
No social life. Not able to go out when you want to. Heavy responsibilities.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Helping Hands. Our community is ready to answer.