Helping Hands Employee Reviews

Loved the customers but the company is very disorganised
Live In Carer (Former Employee) –  Various locations5 January 2016
I really enjoyed the work itself and will continue with another company. I left because they are so unprofessional. They promise you everything during training and deliver nothing. I was told that after 6 months I could study for my NVQ 2 . . . when I enquired after 6 months service I was told there was no money left and there wouldn't be for some time. My local care services manager was wonderful and if the rest of the company had her work ethic, I would have stayed.
Pros
Fantastic opportunity to meet new people and visit family while earning
Cons
virtually no support from the office. Very poor communication.
id never work there again
live in carer (Former Employee) –  uk4 November 2015
worst job iv ever had. manager used to lie and falsify documents. other manager pretty much did the same thing. company is unreasonable as they constantly try to get you to work as much as possible for as little as possible.
good working enviroment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sandy, ENG27 October 2015
helping hands will be a good work place to get expirence for starting work. all the people there are friendly and will help me
Pros
close to home
okay
Live in carer (Former Employee) –  colchester15 September 2015
i helped a man with dementia i loved my job but it just got to much i helped him clean i cooked for him took him to appointments.
i learned never trust no one your on your own in this world.
management okay at first rubbish.
there was only one other co worker and she was fantastic others two faced behind your back.
24/7 in house
seing the person happy knowing your doing a good job x
Pros
helping other people in need
Cons
no help from the management
Caring company
Live-in Carer (Former Employee) –  ENG8 September 2015
Providing live-in care as well as community care for mostly the elderly. Personal care, meal preparation, administering medication, sit visits are required. Carers both with or without a care are welcome.
Challenges
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Alcester, ENG9 August 2015
My seven year experience as a Health Care Assistant has made me to learn more, they are quite challenging but enjoyable and I am happy that being a quick learner has helped me and encouraged me to be confident, even when I am with my co-workers I always feel that I should help if they are not able to handle the situation like suctioning a trachi-patient or caring for a palliative/end of life patient.
very clicky
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Bacup, ENG14 July 2015
enabling adults with learning disabilities to lead a normal day to day life as would a general member of the public, ie finances, activities, walks, shopping, cooking and cleaning, daily paperwork.
Pros
Cons
over worked
fun and rewarding
Live-In Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Sheffield5 July 2015
Never boring
how important the job of a carer is.
Management was good, always there when you need them.
Hardest part to loose a service user.
To bring happiness to others.
Good way to save money but very little else.
- (Former Employee) –  -23 June 2015
As a live in carer, your freedom is almost completely taken away from you. The minimum amount of breaks eligible is not really enough. The office staff are not the most organised, so if you're planning to work as a temporary live in carer, make sure you can deal with last minute changes. The work conditions really depends on each placement - luck of the draw, really. It can be an interesting job, but make sure you're adaptable and can deal with being unsociable. In terms of pay, if you break it down to the hour, it's nothing. But there's no need to pay for rent or food, so money is almost straight into your pocket.
My day at work
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  all over the South of the UK8 June 2015
A typical day at work I would be awake around 6am, get up, do a few jobs around the house if my customer was still sleeping. Once my customer is awake make them a drink of their choice, breakfast and medication at the correct times. Help them to have a shower / wash if needed, help them to the living room if that is where they wanted to be. Ask if there was anything they wanted, prepare their lunch, medication, dishes, any jobs in between that they ask of me. Prepare dinner. Help customer to bed and settle them. I have learnt how to be a lot more patient, understand the needs of others. Listen 100 percent to what they want or need and understand this. Respect their modesty, religion / beliefs etc. The hardest part of my job so far has been when the customer is upset or angry as they wouldn't allow me to help them with this, so I found it hard to watch them go through that alone. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you get positive feedback from a customer and feel that they appreciate what you do.
Pros
saving money
Cons
very long hours
Helping Hands review
UK, temp livein carer (Former Employee) –  various places31 January 2015
I enjoyed working as a temp carer as i met new clients every
2 weeks so i had a chance to compare situations and value
customers.

The company itself was a bit disorganised having less office
help than would needed this is my view but i was always supplied
with continuos jobs which was good.

Typical day at work was helping clients with preparing food and
washing themselves. Doing shopping and accompany clients.
Taking them to hairdressers and surgery if was needed.

Hardest part was dealing with disabled clients and parkinsons
disease.
Pros
continuos covering never without work
Cons
bank holidays could have been paid more
Supported me well
Health care proffesional (Former Employee) –  Bristol4 January 2015
I enjoyed working with the clients at Helping Hands. the hours and shift patterns were long and spaced out which was the hardest part of the job as I enjoy routine. through this job I learnt how to be more responsible for myself and the importance of patience and kindness when working with clients.
Not very good at all!
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northampton, ENG1 January 2015
When i started work with helping hands hours and types of bonuses were promised but never followed through with. I placed my available hours and they didnt stick to that. When i had a family emergency or illness they werent very understanding at all. I would be run from 6am to 10pm on some days with no breaks or barely any travel time. I learnt alot about personal care and the way the care industry works however there were some aspects that i didnt agree with. The management/office side of the business was ashambles, they didnt know who was were and what calls they were doing. they would pesture you on your only day off out of a ten day stretch and if you had a problem they didnt seem like they were that bothered to help. Example: If you were running late due to traffic, their attitude was get there when you get there. they never phoned the clients to let them know. Some of my co workers were fantastic however some of them didnt seem to care about the clients and didnt do the job to a high enough standard and all the management could do was have a word with them, yet if i made one simple mistake i would get a really big telling off. There proportions of the disapline wasnt very clear. The hardest oart of the job was dealing with other peoples mistakes. The most enjoyable part was building a raport with the clients
Pros
Meeting and helping new people.
Cons
Long hours, hardly any breaks or days off.
My workplace really support us and really care about us carers .They also sopprt the customers and their familys.
live in carer (Current Employee) –  Alcester, ENG27 November 2014
Getting them up .Givingthem breakfast .Doing household work. Shopping. Answering phone. Doing activities. Updateing families. Oredring prescriptions. Makeing meals .The hardest part can be keeping in touch with work. Sometimes as its a little village. Terible broadban d an d wifi .And keeping all families updated. As families arent near by . The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing them happy. With family.And knowing that you are takeing some of the stress and worry of it. And watching them interect and when they are hacveing a good day. And the family are seeing their parents as they I used to be and that they are safe well and happy.
Pros
Seeing how I am making a difference/and that ican see how the family/appreciate this/
Cons
Can sometimes be long hours./ And they can be hard/
Unskilled labourer (Former Employee) –  Bradford, ENG24 October 2014
• Assisting the builders i.e. gathering all tools required for certain jobs
• Painting and decorating
• Assisted with bathroom fitting
• Tiling and grouting
• Fitting plasterboard
• Keeping the work area tidy and safe
• Collection of building materials
Satisfying Work
24 hour Live-in Support/Care Worker (Former Employee) –  ENG30 September 2014
Different challenges faced and welcomed within each placement. Learned to adapt quickly to each unique client and their requirements and daily life choices.
Excellent support from managers and colleagues.
Dealt with extreme challenging behavior at times and the challenge of living with customers made me more resilient than ever before.
Seeing how I made a difference to each customer made the job most enjoyable and worthwhile.
Pros
Free food, free accommodation, chance to travel over uk, visit different places meeting lovely families as well as customers, expanding knowledge of complex conditions and how to deal with them effectively.
Cons
24 hour care meant my life was basically put on hold during placement, If placement ended I was not guaranteed another straight away, if met with challenging behavior was lone worker
help hands
Volunteer General Assistant (Former Employee) –  blackpool8 August 2014
work monday to friday and it was only part time helped replace wheelsbin and fix wheelsbin and i have been going roung doing paper and cardbored
Ideal for seasonal work
cleaner (Current Employee) –  St. Ives, ENG7 August 2014
Good people to work for always polite friendly and give plenty of notice of what work you are required to do
Pros
ok in season
Cons
mainly Saturday not much during week
Don't bother!!!! company fully of lies
Carer (Former Employee) –  Leeds26 July 2014
If you want to pay to go to work then go ahead.
Company fully of lies, no £100 unless you work 20 hours in 4 consecutive weeks which you won't because they have no customers for you go to to get that many hours.
Wages always wrong and mileage pay wrong too.
And if you think you'll be working in leeds forget that too, you'll be driving all over Yorkshire which will cost you an arm and a leg.
No block hours to be had and no support from management.
Paperwork not in place in customers houses, risk assessments not done.
How this company is even running and meeting the required legislations I really don't know.
All in all not a good place to work, if you want stress, constant headaches, no home life and constant hassle this is where to find it!
Pros
Working on your own
Good casual work
Part-time domestic cleaner (Current Employee) –  Isle of Wight16 June 2014
Casual cleaning and housekeeping work on a zero hours contract.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Helping Hands. Our community is ready to answer.