Helping Hands Employee Reviews

My day at work
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  all over the South of the UK8 June 2015
A typical day at work I would be awake around 6am, get up, do a few jobs around the house if my customer was still sleeping. Once my customer is awake make them a drink of their choice, breakfast and medication at the correct times. Help them to have a shower / wash if needed, help them to the living room if that is where they wanted to be. Ask if there was anything they wanted, prepare their lunch, medication, dishes, any jobs in between that they ask of me. Prepare dinner. Help customer to bed and settle them. I have learnt how to be a lot more patient, understand the needs of others. Listen 100 percent to what they want or need and understand this. Respect their modesty, religion / beliefs etc. The hardest part of my job so far has been when the customer is upset or angry as they wouldn't allow me to help them with this, so I found it hard to watch them go through that alone. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you get positive feedback from a customer and feel that they appreciate what you do.
Pros
saving money
Cons
very long hours
Helping Hands review
UK, temp livein carer (Former Employee) –  various places31 January 2015
I enjoyed working as a temp carer as i met new clients every
2 weeks so i had a chance to compare situations and value
customers.

The company itself was a bit disorganised having less office
help than would needed this is my view but i was always supplied
with continuos jobs which was good.

Typical day at work was helping clients with preparing food and
washing themselves. Doing shopping and accompany clients.
Taking them to hairdressers and surgery if was needed.

Hardest part was dealing with disabled clients and parkinsons
disease.
Pros
continuos covering never without work
Cons
bank holidays could have been paid more
Supported me well
Health care proffesional (Former Employee) –  Bristol4 January 2015
I enjoyed working with the clients at Helping Hands. the hours and shift patterns were long and spaced out which was the hardest part of the job as I enjoy routine. through this job I learnt how to be more responsible for myself and the importance of patience and kindness when working with clients.
Not very good at all!
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northampton, ENG1 January 2015
When i started work with helping hands hours and types of bonuses were promised but never followed through with. I placed my available hours and they didnt stick to that. When i had a family emergency or illness they werent very understanding at all. I would be run from 6am to 10pm on some days with no breaks or barely any travel time. I learnt alot about personal care and the way the care industry works however there were some aspects that i didnt agree with. The management/office side of the business was ashambles, they didnt know who was were and what calls they were doing. they would pesture you on your only day off out of a ten day stretch and if you had a problem they didnt seem like they were that bothered to help. Example: If you were running late due to traffic, their attitude was get there when you get there. they never phoned the clients to let them know. Some of my co workers were fantastic however some of them didnt seem to care about the clients and didnt do the job to a high enough standard and all the management could do was have a word with them, yet if i made one simple mistake i would get a really big telling off. There proportions of the disapline wasnt very clear. The hardest oart of the job was dealing with other peoples mistakes. The most enjoyable part was building a raport with the clients
Pros
Meeting and helping new people.
Cons
Long hours, hardly any breaks or days off.
My workplace really support us and really care about us carers .They also sopprt the customers and their familys.
live in carer (Current Employee) –  Alcester, ENG27 November 2014
Getting them up .Givingthem breakfast .Doing household work. Shopping. Answering phone. Doing activities. Updateing families. Oredring prescriptions. Makeing meals .The hardest part can be keeping in touch with work. Sometimes as its a little village. Terible broadban d an d wifi .And keeping all families updated. As families arent near by . The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing them happy. With family.And knowing that you are takeing some of the stress and worry of it. And watching them interect and when they are hacveing a good day. And the family are seeing their parents as they I used to be and that they are safe well and happy.
Pros
Seeing how I am making a difference/and that ican see how the family/appreciate this/
Cons
Can sometimes be long hours./ And they can be hard/
Unskilled labourer (Former Employee) –  Bradford, ENG24 October 2014
• Assisting the builders i.e. gathering all tools required for certain jobs
• Painting and decorating
• Assisted with bathroom fitting
• Tiling and grouting
• Fitting plasterboard
• Keeping the work area tidy and safe
• Collection of building materials
Satisfying Work
24 hour Live-in Support/Care Worker (Former Employee) –  ENG30 September 2014
Different challenges faced and welcomed within each placement. Learned to adapt quickly to each unique client and their requirements and daily life choices.
Excellent support from managers and colleagues.
Dealt with extreme challenging behavior at times and the challenge of living with customers made me more resilient than ever before.
Seeing how I made a difference to each customer made the job most enjoyable and worthwhile.
Pros
Free food, free accommodation, chance to travel over uk, visit different places meeting lovely families as well as customers, expanding knowledge of complex conditions and how to deal with them effectively.
Cons
24 hour care meant my life was basically put on hold during placement, If placement ended I was not guaranteed another straight away, if met with challenging behavior was lone worker
help hands
Volunteer General Assistant (Former Employee) –  blackpool8 August 2014
work monday to friday and it was only part time helped replace wheelsbin and fix wheelsbin and i have been going roung doing paper and cardbored
Ideal for seasonal work
cleaner (Current Employee) –  St. Ives, ENG7 August 2014
Good people to work for always polite friendly and give plenty of notice of what work you are required to do
Pros
ok in season
Cons
mainly Saturday not much during week
Don't bother!!!! company fully of lies
Carer (Former Employee) –  Leeds26 July 2014
If you want to pay to go to work then go ahead.
Company fully of lies, no £100 unless you work 20 hours in 4 consecutive weeks which you won't because they have no customers for you go to to get that many hours.
Wages always wrong and mileage pay wrong too.
And if you think you'll be working in leeds forget that too, you'll be driving all over Yorkshire which will cost you an arm and a leg.
No block hours to be had and no support from management.
Paperwork not in place in customers houses, risk assessments not done.
How this company is even running and meeting the required legislations I really don't know.
All in all not a good place to work, if you want stress, constant headaches, no home life and constant hassle this is where to find it!
Pros
Working on your own
Good casual work
Part-time domestic cleaner (Current Employee) –  Isle of Wight16 June 2014
Casual cleaning and housekeeping work on a zero hours contract.
People friend job,
Live in carer (Current Employee) –  Alcester, ENG19 May 2014
Have only 2 hours time for yourself during a work.
Can you meet lovely people with many nice life story.
terribe place work
specialized Home Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blyth, ENG2 May 2014
bad communication skills , no one knows what the other person doing even though the desk are next to each other .promise you 40 hours only given 9 ..phoning you expecting you to drop everything to do a house call when the other carer has called in sick because of a night out . two faced managers , very clicky. the owners of the foundation are wonderful just a shame about the rest.
Pros
free bar at xmas
Cons
driving exspences is disgusting dont get paid for the first 10 mile of each day .
Fun and challenging
Live-in carer (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, ENG5 March 2014
Easy going environment
Flexible
Work at own initiative,can be a bit monotonous and challenging. Great support and training from management.
Pros
Diversity, free transport, food allowance
Customer focussed bespoke care
Digital Marketing Executive (Former Employee) –  ENG24 February 2014
It was an absolute pleasure to be a part of this wonderful organisation. Each day I learned something new. The best part was the training which was very informative.

It was exciting to know how people from all walks of life came to be a carer.

I would highly recommend Helping Hands Home Care to anyone.
A Market Leader
Live in Personal Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Alcester, ENG16 January 2014
As a live in carer, I am responsible for care and safe wellbeing of our customer plus total household management.
I work with a proactive team from the office who are very supportive.
I enjoy making a positive difference to the quality of life for my customer.
stressful and careless management
specilised carer (Current Employee) –  Blyth, ENG28 December 2013
week in advance for rota, no communication skills , not understanding the carers needs, unsociable hours, underpaid, first 10 miles not paid on a daily basis. no support,
Pros
free bar at xmas
Cons
long hours, unpaid fuel milage first 10 miles, no communication, no enough working hours.
A relaxed friendly and fun atmosphere
volunteer (Current Employee) –  Plaistow, London, ENG13 December 2013
Providing support for local Newham residents with issues regarding homelessness and the elderly. Duties include attending meetings, care and support work for individuals and groups, working the reception desk, booking new jobs,answering the phones and acting as an appropriate adult for the residents whilst on trips and excursions.
Pros
a great cause and great people volunteers and clients alike
Cons
No pay
Rewarding workplace
Carer (Former Employee) –  Alcester, ENG6 December 2013
very interesting work to do if you are a right person to do it.
Learned lots about different people lifestyle and behavior in different situations and and stages of illeness.
Hardest part of the job was iresponsible office.
Pros
accomodation and food provided
Cons
working 24/7 only 14 hours free per week.
Realy good company - no problems at all
Support Worker / Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alcester, ENG21 August 2013
-24/24
-I learned a lot about the human psyche - (most of my as well ;-)
-Brilliant!
-Excellent!
-I know the work of a live-in, no surprises, no obstacle can not be overcome.
-Visits to the gym, cinema, college. Meeting with family and friends.
Pros
Excellent relations with the family of my service user.
Cons
Sometimes, too much rain :-)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Helping Hands. Our community is ready to answer.