Play YouTube video button

Helping Hands Employee Reviews

No longer cares!!!
Manager (Former Employee) –  SOUTH EAST1 April 2018
This company really used to be what it says but sadly it no longer is. Now due to poor senior management and being all being about targets it has lost CARE!!! for both staff and customers. Managers are forced to take on customers even though they know it is unsafe or they are penalised and told they need to improve and meet their targets. The expectations are un realistic and they expect staff to put the company before their own family. Such a shame a wonderful company has been ruined. The vision of the founder has been lost completely.
Pros
Cons
Long hours/no support/too target driven/poor senior management
5 June 2018

I’m really sorry to hear your experience with us hasn’t been as positive as you’d expected. If you’d like to discuss these issues in a bit more detail, can you please drop me an email when you can on daniel.pitman@helpinghands.co.uk?

Speak to you soon,

Love the job itself
Hourly Carer (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire28 March 2018
Currently work for Helping hands, absolutely love my job although sometimes can be very tiring. The customers are fab and I have a set shift plan, even better now we all have CellTrak. Sometimes management let you down as regards to time off and over working us but you get used to it (even though we shouldn’t) training is excellent and you can go to the manager and talk about any issues you may have (personally) sometimes you don’t get enough travel time and pay for mileage needs to be higher. Never have time to eat (great for dieting) or you have 4hr gaps between calls. Overall I love working for helping hands but they need some improvement.
Pros
Support, customers, pay, celltrak, training
Cons
Long hours, not enough travel time, mileage pay needs to be better
5 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review, it's always so lovely to hear the great experiences that our carers have around the business. However, I'm interested in hearing more about the negative aspects of this review to see if there's anything we can do. If you'd like to contact me on daniel.pitman@helpinghands.co.uk, we can discuss in more detail.

Great and flexible workplace
hourly carer (Current Employee) –  Wimbledon12 March 2018
Good management. Great customers. Good salary. I needed a flexible job and they are excellent. very good training. nice people around. the hardest part thez only provide zero hour contract.
5 June 2018

Hi there, thank you for leaving this lovely review! We do our best to provide as many hours to our carers as we possibly can. I hope that you've been able to find the flexible work pattern you require with us. We pride ourselves on our award-winning training too, so it's great to see that this is something you're happy with.

Dan

Family run business fun and recommended
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lancashire6 March 2018
I enjoyed this family run business and felt every part a huge part of the family, each member of staff was treated with respect and we all bonded well.
The atmosphere was positive and a delight to work for
5 June 2018

Hi there, thanks for this lovely review! We pride ourselves on our family-run culture and want to make sure that every employee feels part of the Helping Hands family right from the word go. I'm delighted that you've had such a great experience.

unprofessional
Manager (Former Employee) –  Midland6 March 2018
From beginning to end, totally unprofessional and disorganised.

I would avoid and go for a smaller company who actually cares!!
There are people there who never get a day off and feel compelled to do more and more for the company.

Wage didnt add up at all and when questioned you are left wondering how they get away with it.

Lots of great staff work there - all of them very very undervalued and staying for the service users
5 June 2018

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to write this review. We've got teams setup across the business specifically designed to support carers from the word go, so your feedback is certainly disappointing to read. Please get back in touch with us when you can and let us know further details about your situation.

Good clients
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester1 March 2018
Most enjoyable part of job helping others to get threw there day.
Typical day at work giving clients daily money and making breakfast lunch and dinner basic cleaning around kitchen toilet and front room
Pros
Easy location to get to
Cons
Not enough hours
5 June 2018

Hi there, thanks for leaving this review. Our branches do their best to provide as many hours to carers as possible, so I am disappointed to read that you've not been provided with what you had expected. Hopefully you can revisit Helping Hands in the future.

Recruitment Marketing Manager

Loved the clients and that's about it
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  South East15 February 2018
The clients are what made it, I worked with the company for approximately before a month and that's the only bit I enjoyed. I loved getting to know the clients, helping them out and ensuring they had the care and company they deserved. However, as a company they couldn't care less about their staff and it took me no time at all to realise this. If you have a question or concern don't expect a reply - they are less that responsive to their staff and can only be bothered to contact you when they need something. Also, I respect that a job like this comes with travel to meet the needs of the clients however I was expected to travel half hour from home with half hour distance between each call for just only two hours work. Fair enough mileage is paid at 19p per mile but when you're travelling those distances your paying more then you're being paid for your shift. I personally wouldn't recommend it at all.
Pros
Clients all the way; Pay is much better than elsewhere
Cons
Pretty much everything else
Hard but rewarding
Care Assistant for the Elderly (Current Employee) –  South Norwood4 February 2018
I learnt a lot from helping hands, its a hard but rewarding job which is one of the positive things. Helping people is an amazing trait which is why i got into working with the elderly. Everyday is different which is why i loved it.
Cons
very long hours
Brilliant place to work
Care Assistant/Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire17 January 2018
I enjoy working for Helping hands. Plenty of training and support throughout. Management very understanding and helpful, really do care. Would recommended anyone to join the staff or for anyone who needs a carer!!
5 June 2018

Hi there, thanks for leaving such a nice review. It's nice to hear that our hard work throughout the business as a support function is received so well by our carers. We do all we can to make sure you have everything that you need to provide the excellent care our customers deserve.

rewarding
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham4 January 2018
once you had finished a shift you'd feel rewarded knowing you have done all you can to help your patients. You'd feel appreciated, and each day would be the same
5 June 2018

Hi there, thanks for leaving this review. One of the most rewarding parts of the role is the satisfaction and appreciation you receive making a difference to someone's life. Thank you for the work that you do.

Fun and productive
Live in carer (Former Employee) –  Alcester21 December 2017
Very nice company, with nice employees, a job where you can plan your free time as much as you want and choose when you can or cannot work. They give you professional training in everything you need to know related to the job.
Pros
Paid holiday
Cons
Sometimes it is not easy
28 December 2017

Many thanks for taking the time to leave this review, it is really good to hear that you are enjoying your role and that the training you received was up to our usual award winning standard.
Karen Rayfield, Director of People and Performance.

Profit prioritised over quality of care
carer (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom11 December 2017
Carers come last, long hours, most of it driving around, 30 mins to do a call you need at least an hour for (typical with this sort of work however), measly mileage paid. NOT flexible hours at all. You are the one required to be flexible not them. As all carers say the only reason you do it is for the lovely people you visit in their homes.
Pros
the customers
Cons
everything else
28 December 2017

I am sorry to hear that you the role didn't meet what you were looking for. Please make sure that you speak with your Branch Manager to see what can be done to change the rota around to better fit your needs. Care work does need a high degree of flexibility as our customers needs often change, however as you have written in your review looking after people that need your help and support is a very rewarding career.

Bury St Edmonds
Carer for family member (Former Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk20 November 2017
Training was fantastic but unfortunately when you get to your it doesnt come true. Long hard hours & ends up less than minimum wage. Absolutely no support from management, and felt like I was thrown in at the deep end.
Dont go there.
Avoid at all costs
Pros
Cons
Long long hours
8 December 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review, I am most disappointed to read that you did not receive the normal high level of support that we expect at Helping Hands. There are several people that you can go to within the regional team including your Area Manager and Regional Head if you feel that issues raised with your Branch Manager have not been resolved to your satisfaction. We also have a large Head Office team including HR and QA that are here to support you. It is pleasing to hear that you felt the training was "fantastic" and we work hard to ensure that this high level of value and support continues throughput every staff member's career at Helping Hands which is why it is so disappointing to read your review. Please get in touch so that we can ensure that any issues have been fully addressed.

Nice
Live in carer (Current Employee) –  England16 November 2017
The training week is in their main office which is located in Warwickshire. The staff are amazing and are very helpful.

You are then assigned to a customer who will look at your profile and accept you to be their carer.

All travel expenses are paid for eg. traveling by train to a customers house

Any problems regarding anything with your work you can contact the office phones or you are also given out of hours numbers
Pros
independant
8 December 2017

Hello and thank you for your kind comments. We are really pleased to hear that you are receiving the high standard of support that we expect.

Welcome to the team - it's great to have you on board!

8 December 2017

Welcome to the team - it's great to have you on board!

28 December 2017

It is great to read your review as everyone who works at Helping Hands gives their very best to support the great work that our Carers do supporting vulnerable people in their own homes. Welcome to the team!

Very disappointing....
Live in carer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London5 November 2017
To start off - the training was very well prepared and enjoyable and the people had great knowledge. Thank you :)
The rest unfortunately one big joke! Starting from the guys matching you with jobs to the coordinators and mangers. Very rude and unproffesional approach, no support while on the placement and it takes literally forever to get a reply! It's a real shame that nobody cares about the employees and customers. They all just want to push you on placement so that they can get money and don't care about the rest. Avoid if you can :)
Pros
Pay on time
Cons
Longer hours than they say, pay not that great, false placement information, no support for live in carers.....
28 December 2017

I was very disappointed to read your review as it does not match our usual high standard of support that is offered to our Carers. We have several people who are always on hand to help you including your line manager, regional management, QA and HR teams. Please get it touch with us so that we can understand exactly what the issues were that you faced and make sure that they are fully resolved.

Say all the right words prior to starting but a whole different ball game once employed
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Essex25 October 2017
Very clicky and like to put down staff members behind their backs. Support is never offered but is there if necessary and very much a draconian approach.
I found top management two faced, and they like to feed back EVERYTHING to the CEO which I found childish and made you feel like you were worth very little.
Most enjoyable past of the job was going home and they are too KPI focused. I wouldn't recommend personally as they do expect far too much from those on the front line.
Pros
Not many.
Cons
Mileage is terrible, wages aren't as good as they state against other domcare companies.
28 December 2017

I am very sad to read your review. It is most unusual for us to read comments like this so we are keen to understand the issues that you encountered. There are many ways that you can raise concerns, either through the QA and HR teams or through the regional management team under which your branch falls.

Management poor, not looking after their workers.
Live in Care Worker (Former Employee) –  UK3 October 2017
Caregivers were left on their own without support from managers.
Ill matched with clients.
Transport always paid promptly and so were wages and other expenses.
Pros
prompt payment, transport paid by company.
28 December 2017

I am very concerned to hear that you don't feel supported by your management team. Please escalate and issues that you have with customer matching, placements or support to either your regional management team or though HR or QA. We Have large, skilled teams both at our head office and out in the field whose sole focus is to support our customers and carers so it is important that you let us know if things aren't working for you.
It is good to know that our support functions are looking after your transport, expense and pay requirements in a way that meets your needs.

Poor management and communication
Live-in Carer (Current Employee) –  All over the Uk20 September 2017
Management struggles to deal with the smallest requirements/issues raised.
Poorly communicated with the live-in carers.
Pick and choose what and who they reply to.
The job is enjoyable but can be stressful and emotionally challenging.
Pros
Pay and working with the customers
Cons
Management and communication
28 December 2017

I am really sorry to hear that you have experienced issues with some of the requests that you have made for support. We have invested heavily in the number of team members that we have both based at our head office and out in the field to support our customers and carers. If you have issues that aren't being resolved quickly enough please escalate them to the regional management team for your area or to the QA or HR team based at head office. Our carers are incredibly important to us so it is important that we get the service levels right for what you need.
Karen Rayfield, Director of People and Performance

Good place to work but hours are not guaranteed
Hourly Carer (Current Employee) –  Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands15 September 2017
This is a great pace to work and people are really friendly and professional but they are unable to guarantee the hours of working, there is no consistency which makes it difficult to plan your days.
For the short time I have been there I have learned a lot not only about the people I work with but also the customers I visit on a daily basis, and knowing that I am making a difference to people's lives and helping them to live as independently as possible.
Supporting and friendly
Hourly support worker (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire4 September 2017
As a new employee to Helping Hands I have found the company to be very supporting, friendly and thorough in their approach to new members of staff. Their focus is on ensuring each service user is treated as an individual.
Pros
Good wages
Cons
No travel allowence

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Helping Hands. Our community is ready to answer.