Helping Hands Employee Reviews

Hard work but rewarding.
Live in carer (Former Employee) –  all of the UK26 July 2017
Helping Hands is very contious of people's vulnerability and so they train their staff to a very high standard. most of its workers are live in carers that are trained in health and safety and moving and handling as well as other skills necessary to ensure the comfortable care of a customer.
a typical day at work would be assisting the client out of bed. help with all hygene routines and getting dressed. Make breakfast, prompt medication ,if aplicable and get client comfortable. then do the cleaning up and making of beds and sorting clothes for washing. arrange shopping and other daily meals.
Management is always available to assist in any query one may have.

The hardest part of this job is being away from your own family for weeks at a time but the most enjoyable is that you get to meet such wonderful and interesting people.
Pros
you are able to save money as all your food and water and electrisity is free while living in.
Cons
the long hours one sometimes has to work.
Seems all one sided
Care Assistant for the Elderly (Former Employee) –  Worthing and surrounding area18 July 2017
Although Helping Hands advertise a good rate of pay,
In reality it's not that great. The travel/ mileage allowance is the lowest in the area and the calls we are given are geographically impractical. All in all, I'm going to have to throw in the towel as it's not economical to continue. Training and shadow shifts are not paid and the DBS is reclaimed in the first two pay days. Also, business insurance needs to be added to car insurance costing money . Overall, this makes a bit of a mockery of the £100 bonus paid in the first month.
Pros
Lovely clients
Cons
Drive all over, lots to pay out in early days, split calls so you're really working 'all day'
Bad company to work for
Carer (Former Employee) –  farham13 July 2017
I applied for a job there as i wanted night work. It took them three months to even get me any nights as they had none (false advertising) kept asking me to do days. Eventually got me three nights a week for a lovely lady who sadly had to go into a home. After telling me i was on £10 per hour only got paid £6.50 for 150 hours work i had done. When i rang to question this,the manger told me i was silly for not reading my contract.It stated set rate for night work to be discussed with manager only discussion i had was when i joined the company and signed my contract stating the agreed £10 per hour. Bad communication ,Bad management,Bad ethics,False advertising. I no longer work for the company and feel like i have wasted a lot of time doing training which i never got paid for either.
Pros
Cons
always ringing, No work phone, Bad managment
don't believe the adds they post.
C (Former Employee) –  london10 July 2017
Terrible company and completely unorganized company, I would stay away. Unprofessional managers ..... They have a bad reputation.Don't believe the adds they post.
Awful management
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire27 June 2017
Warrington branch managed terribly. Not very friendly or have the social skills they exptyou to have as an employee.
Found myself more qualified than them.
Pros
Hourly rate not as bad as some companies
Cons
Awful line managers
Good company
Carer (Former Employee) –  united Kingdom6 June 2017
Good company, with a good staff.Busy day with a lot of tasks. Helping with personal hygiene and with everything related with the house, food, money and personal life.
The client was tetraplegic, so this was the hardest part. The most enjoyable part was the client is a excellent and amazing person.
Pros
Client
Cons
Salary
Good place to get some experience
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  London2 June 2017
This was only a work placement from jobcenter in order for me to get utilise my exisiting skills and experince. I was very grateful for the opportunity.
Pros
Good friendly environment
Cons
That it didnt lead to full time employment.
Manager (Current Employee) –  South West22 May 2017
Long hours, hard work, great CEO, not enough staff

Overall a good place to work

Good training and induction, no management support (as a manager) communication could be better between departments
Versatile workplace
Live in carer (Former Employee) –  England16 May 2017
For anyone enjoying working with elderly Live-in care work it is the best chance at doing the best possible job, living in customers own home providing them with best possible care. Carers also get the breaks and paid holidays.
Great experience
Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  Halifax, West Yorkshire7 May 2017
Loved every second of working here. The staff are lovely, they were very patient and helpful. Was never a dull moment while working here!! If I wasn't looking for a paid job I would definitely go back here!
Pros
Long lunch break, friendly staff
Falsly sold as a good employer
prefer not to say (Current Employee) –  prefer not to say28 April 2017
company described as family run and orientated , but no support is given from above you are just left to your own devises and expected to get on with it.
They sell the company as quality driven but it isn't its all about hours and profit , quality comes last , very disappointing as I thought this would be my ideal job
Pros
Cons
lack of support, not as described, quick to hire and fire
Lovely job-Management ok
Home Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands27 April 2017
Lovely job i really enjoyed working here- Management could how ever to with a lot more training.

Staff are very rude. If you have a day off and someone else phones in sick you get bombarded with phone calls. And penalized if you can not do what they are asking you to do.

Other than this great place.
Pros
Getting to help people
Cons
Good company, friendly and a phone call away
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Prudhoe, Northumberland26 April 2017
Good company good pay a phone call away when you can get to speak to who u need, cant always get the hours you were promised and rotas are late out and sometimes not recived. No food contribution when doing 24hr shifts
Pros
Good hourly wage
Cons
Late rotas no hours spend alot of own money when out on food
Lovely job
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hexham, Northumberland26 April 2017
Lovely clientele. Lovely staff. Normally balance life and work. Great training sessions. Over all if you care for the elderly people it's a great job to have..
Rewarding
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chester, Cheshire21 April 2017
Rewarding job very enjoyable.meeting new people and new situations. Good rate of pay. Working as a team with other staff and carers. Everyday is different and always willing to learn and improve my knowledge. I would recommend this job to many other people.
Pros
Good rate of pay
Cons
Driving /travelling
Ayudando a ser un poquito mejor cada día
CUIDADOR DE PERSONAS CON DISCAPACIDAD (Former Employee) –  ALCESTER, REINO UNIDO18 April 2017
Trabajo en equipo ayudándose mutyamente unos
A otros. Gran confianza depositada en los trabajadores
Not enough hours
Home Carer (Current Employee) –  Walsall, West Midlands12 April 2017
Nice people to work with but not enough hours and they don't take in the hours that you can and can't do so you have calls at 7am then calls at 9pm. No balance
Pros
Nice managers
Cons
No hours
reliable employer
Live-in Carer (Former Employee) –  around UK11 April 2017
work can be long and challenging but also rewarding, especially if clients and families are nice

good pay

big turn-over in the headoffice, sometimes difficult to speak to

managers also change often, could be tricky to get hold of
Pros
steady pay
Cons
not much support at weekends; favourism in HO
Good training but limited support after training
Live in carer (Current Employee) –  Alcester, Warwickshire23 February 2017
A good training course but unpaid. The calibre of some recruits are quite disappointing. Lack of post training support. Pay is poor for a live in carer. Little thought to placement suitability.
Cons
Lack of organisation at HQ.
The company that doesn't care
Live in carer (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire23 February 2017
Helping Hands, don't think so, more like helping themselves. They don't care about their carers, all they care about is getting in money money money for themselves. Company is a joke.
Pros
Non
Cons
Don't care

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Helping Hands. Our community is ready to answer.