Play YouTube video button

Helping Hands Employee Reviews

Rewarding but stressful
Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Essex30 October 2018
As a care coordinator, I do love my job HOWEVER, we are now short staffed and running a large branch. Targets are piling up, but the workload just won’t go down. I am having to stay in the office late almost every night and come in at the weekends all of course unpaid apart from when having the emergency on call phone at 43p per hour!
Even with a full team it’s a struggle. I love our branch, the manager and carers but I feel we need some additional time and support to complete things.
Trying to get MAR charts done and ready to go out for the next month, while every day tasks are coming thick and fast, new business and interviews being piled on to the calendar and all the while CQC is approaching any day now and the auditing is not done. Every time I block time out time to get it done, something else comes up. We need a solution and every time I suggest something it falls on deaf ears.
Pros
Great office team
Cons
No lunch break, long hours and extra hours unpaid. No life
Lovely staff
HVS (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon26 October 2018
A typical day working with Helping Hands involves doing anything from manual handling a customer with limited mobility to making a cup of tea and ensuring someone eats a hot meal.
You travel from customer to customer giving care on your own and also as a 'double up' with another carer
Everyone at the firm is lovely but the hours can be unsociable working evenings and weekends. Work life balance is ok as you can have afternoons and some evenings off.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with people and seeing the fruits of your labour being appreciated by your customers.
Pros
Uniform provided and good training.
Cons
Insociable hours
disorganised & unsupportive place to work
Care Assistant (Hourly) (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex24 October 2018
My time of working with Colchester branch was nothing short of horrific. Managers would ignore my days off (and would constantly contact me to work on those days). In addition, rota us in to work earlier than requested. They would fill rota with calls to the point that it was unrealistic to fulfill visits in a timely manner. I was pressurised to work with a highly contagious customer. I was dumped into the role without any supervisory meetings to reassure me within my role. They would assign me to visits far outside my catchment (which meant that I lost alot of money regardless of if I was being paid 19p per mileage). They say that they take care of their employees first but they are more concerned about achieving their targets. The demands of the role is not realistic and is guaranteed to induce stress on anyone working within the role. In trying to expand so quickly they are bringing down the quality of service that a careworker can give to the customer. Training is rushed and can easily be forgotten once out working with customers. This increases risk of making mistakes, especially with MAR chart and medication. I would receive about £40 per day for working 7 hours (this factors in driving etc). My visits on rota were placed too close together or too far apart which meant I was always late for visits or having to wait around between visits. They promoted their favourite members of the team and in the process discouraged the rest of the team. Promotion is necessary but acknowledge, encourage and reward everyone (even if it's just a box of chocolates for team). Let them know  more... 'you see them.' The customers that I worked for were the highlight of my job. It was so fulfilling to know that I was making a difference in their lives.  less
Pros
great customers
Cons
so many - see review
Do not waste your time on this company!
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond upon Thames, Greater London22 October 2018
Honestly you couldn’t make up how poorly run this company is!

The Branch Manager’s behaviour at interview was bizarre! She kept me waiting & kept saying she’d only be one minute numerous times & then kept chit chatting away in front of me & kept me waiting. When she finally interviewed me the interview was slapdash at best but I was offered the job (a zero hours contract with one months notice!) on the spot!

I then had to wait over a month & a half for training which I had to chase up about to see if it was even going ahead. When I turned up at the training venue it was closed & I realised I’d missed a text that had only been sent at 8:30am that day ahead of the 9am training start time to say the trainer was sick & that we would be updated later that day. When later arrived & I hadn’t heard I chased only to be told she hadn’t heard yet. I then got a text after 7pm to say training should be going ahead unless I received another text in the morning to say otherwise!!

Don’t waste your time & energy on this company.

They’re unprofessional & terrible communicators.
Pros
Cons
A scary amount even before you’re out there working for them

Comment – 24 October 2018

Hi there, I'm really sorry to hear you've had this experience. This is not at all the level of communication and organisation we expect from our branches.

I believe you've already raised this issue with us internally and we're looking into the reasons why this happened as we speak. If you need to provide me with any more information, please don't hesitate to contact me on daniel.pitman@helpinghands.co.uk.

Lovely Workplace
Carer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lichfield, Staffordshire4 October 2018
I enjoy working with Helping Hands, The people and families i work with are lovely, the only thing that lets it down is that i do not recieve enough hours in the week.

Comment – 24 October 2018

Thanks for leaving such a lovely review! If you ever need any support, your branch manager or head office can always lend a hand.

UnCaring Employer- stay away
Carer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London29 September 2018
Dont waste your time if you value your sanity!! Managers with zero work ethic and/communication skills. Care plans and initial risk plans are incorrect. When you arrive at the client you find nothing to coincide what was discussed with you. No duty of care whatsoever. Such a pity the training team is top notch. You could die at your customer and they wouldnt even realise you are missing! Pathetic
Pros
Super clients
Cons
Nada

Comment – 24 October 2018

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear that you've had this experience with us.

I'd like to learn more about the reasons why you feel this way, so I can follow up internally as this is not at all the level of support we come to expect from Helping Hands.

If you can, send me an email on daniel.pitman@helpinghands.co.uk and we can discuss further.

rewarding
hourly carer (Current Employee) –  Cheltenham, Gloucestershire18 September 2018
Everyday is different within a care environment but my main duties are personal care, giving medication and providing general support. The most rewarding job I have had, I go everyday knowing I have made a positive difference in someone's day.
Pros
helping people on daily basis
Cons
long hours but dont get paid for all the hours im out the house

Comment – 24 October 2018

Hi there, thanks for leaving us a lovely review! Glad to hear that you're having such a good time working with us. If you require any support, your manager in branch and head office are always here to lend a hand.

Staff not helpful
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire13 September 2018
I applied and was interviewed and was offered a job. I was told that I would be contacted about training and apply for my DBS. Never heard anything. Rang head office. Emailed local office and asked them to get in touch. Still waiting. I missed out on other interviews because of this company. So annoyed.
Pros
Quick information
Cons
Not answering emails or phone

Comment – 17 September 2018

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave this review. There are some issues you've raised that concern me and do not sound like our recruitment practices at all - I'd very much like to hear from you if you're able, so I can follow up internally. Please can you email me at daniel.pitman@helpinghands.co.uk, it would be much appreciated.

Dan

False advertising and not supportive
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Alcester, Warwickshire3 September 2018
- Experience is needed, while being advertised as no experience needed.
- Only providing work with elderly with dementia. No work with teens or young adults
- Training is obligated, which is normal, but this is in Alcester in the Midlands and they can decide to send you home during anytime of the training week.
- Unfriendly staff
- Have to be at placement 6 out of 12 months
- Not flexible
- No denying placement
- Immediate signing of the contract during training week
Pros
work all over the uk
Cons
read review
not very helpful hands
HCA/Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Alcester, Warwickshire3 September 2018
the training was very good and thorough, I was able to advance my skills and qualifications. however, they were not concerned about ensuring these new skills were put in to practice with their employees and service users. I had many concerns I raised with management but nothing was done about it. I could not continue working with a company that did not hold up it's duty of care.
Pros
good training
Cons
lack of care

Comment – 17 September 2018

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to write us a review. I'm sorry to hear that your experience with us wasn't what you'd expected, but I'd like to hear more about the issues you've raised. If you can, email me on daniel.pitman@helpinghands.co.uk and I can try to understand more about them if possible.

Fantastic employer
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire14 August 2018
What can I say, just a wonderful company to work for in every way.

The company is on the up in a big way with big ideas for growth.

The management in the company are visible and approachable and all have a caring and sympathetic nature.

Good pay and fair commission with a decent overall package.
Pros
Wonderful caring management
Cons
Head office in Warwickshire !!! also no dental !!!

Comment – 17 September 2018

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave this review! Great to hear you had such a positive experience with us during your time here.

rewarding Job
Carer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mancherster8 August 2018
I really enjoy the job, Very rewarding, making a difference to peoples lives, however not enough hours and involves a lot of travel from customer to customer and dead time between calls. great training and support given and ongoing.
Pros
rewarding
Cons
travel between calls

Comment – 17 September 2018

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! Many of our carers find it extremely rewarding to impact peoples lives in such a positive way. Glad to hear you're having such a rewarding experience.

Dan

A waste of space and time
Live in carer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London6 August 2018
This company believe me is not worth applying for especially to do the live in care it’s very unpaid and the placements they send you to are not the placements they tell you about I always found they were always trying to sell the client to the carer
Pros
No pros
Cons
long Hours.very low wage
Is a good place to work for
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Derby2 July 2018
You work all the time and they are good, you can work as much as you like. The only thing is you are working like 15 hours a day however you only get paid for 9.

Comment – 17 September 2018

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave a review! Good to hear that you have the flexibility you want whilst working for us. Make sure you raise any concerns you have with your branch manager who can always help.

Adventurous and sad.
Live in carer (Former Employee) –  Devon28 June 2018
Very good experience, meet new people and places, hard to work alone, not much personal time or time with family and friends, good for saving money mostly for short periods, anytime leave or holidays with a short notice of at least 3 months, supportive team.
Pros
Money saving from transportation and food in cases.
Cons
No personal life

Comment – 17 September 2018

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave a review. Glad to hear that you had a good experience with us at Helping Hands. We are as supportive as possible towards our carers and it's great to see that you felt that support in your time with us.

Wishing you all the best,

Too large to manage...
Live in carer (Former Employee) –  Kent2 June 2018
I used to work for HH for approximately 4 years, as a live in carer. I had a manager to support me, I have never met... I have been tricked into very challenging placements for 410£/ week, no food allowance...
If I said NO for a placement because I didn't feel safe with that client the office would ignore me in future and would not give me a placement... Sent updates to management about the clients routine etc and when they offered me the same client 6 months or 1 year later, had to find out that they never updated the clients' profile...
BUT on the good side I have met some fantastic caring humans (carers and family members) and some fantastic clients during this journey of mine.
By the end the care managers were better too, they came to visit the clients more regularly but not all of them ...
5 June 2018

I’m really sorry to hear your experience with us hasn’t been as positive as you’d expected. If you’d like to discuss these issues in a bit more detail, can you please drop me an email when you can, on daniel.pitman@helpinghands.co.uk?

Hopefully speak to you soon,

Full of the Brown Stuff
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Wales3 May 2018
This company must sell double glazing as well, very misleading adverts, you they want certain skills and experiences list it in the advert and not waste my time.
Pros
Cons
full of the brown stuff
5 June 2018

I’m really sorry to hear your experience with us wasn't what you had expected. If you could let us know what was misleading about our adverts, I'd be very grateful. Please feel free to email me on daniel.pitman@helpinghands.co.uk, I'd appreciate the feedback.

Postive experince,Good team
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alcester, Warwickshire21 April 2018
I loved working for helping hands the company trained me well for my live in position, I had left due to the long hours and living away from home at the time it wasn't suitable for me, but I would go back if my circumstances change.
Pros
The company pay a food allowance whilst working away
5 June 2018

Hi there, thanks for leaving us a review. I hope that you have the opportunity to come back at some point in the future. If you'd like to get back in contact and potentially return to Helping Hands, feel free to send me an email on daniel.pitman@helpinghands.co.uk.

Dan

helping hands at a glance
Semi-skilled fitter (Former Employee) –  Ledbury12 April 2018
A nice place to work and the staff are very friendly. Management are happy to help, and any issues or queries you have are dealt with quickly with no hassles.
5 June 2018

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! It's always nice to hear the great feedback from our colleagues.

Thanks
Dan

Avoid at all costs unless you like stress!!
Care Assistant for the Elderly (Former Employee) –  Lancashire6 April 2018
Don't let the attractive hourly rate fool you into thinking this is a decent job. Don't get me wrong, the clients are lovely and they are BY FAR the only good thing about working for this company. It is incredibly rewarding to care for people so they can remain independent in their own homes.
At first you may get a lot of hours offered. This will not be the same every week and unless you can survive on around 8 hours work per week, sometimes spread out as 2 hours in one day, this is not the job for you. Work life balance is atrocious. They will mess around with your rota constantly but then be difficult when you aren't happy with it. They will take hours off you with no notice and then tell you you have to give 4 weeks notice to change your availability....
And then there's the problems with pay, which is always wrong and you're expected to wait a month for them to correct it. Management are terrible at communicating unless they want something from you.
And then there's the mileage! Expected to travel 80+ miles somedays. You don't get paid travelling time. You may have a 12 hour shift and get paid for 6 hours, the other 6 you will be driving. Yes mileage is paid but at 19p a mile it barely covers fuel never mind wear and tear.
All in all, worst few months of my working life. I've never felt so stressed about work. If the customers weren't so lovely and a pleasure to care for the company would have nothing going for it. Don't waste your time applying! There are far better jobs out there!
Pros
Lovely customers good rate of pay
Cons
Terrible work-life balance, poor communication, messed up pay
5 June 2018

I’m really sorry to hear your experience with us hasn’t been as positive as you’d expected. If you’d like to discuss these issues in a bit more detail, can you please drop me an email when you can on daniel.pitman@helpinghands.co.uk?

Speak to you soon,
Dan

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Helping Hands. Our community is ready to answer.