Helping Hands Employee Reviews

Hard but rewarding
Care Assistant for the Elderly (Current Employee) –  South Norwood4 February 2018
I learnt a lot from helping hands, its a hard but rewarding job which is one of the positive things. Helping people is an amazing trait which is why i got into working with the elderly. Everyday is different which is why i loved it.
Cons
very long hours
Brilliant place to work
Care Assistant/Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire17 January 2018
I enjoy working for Helping hands. Plenty of training and support throughout. Management very understanding and helpful, really do care. Would recommended anyone to join the staff or for anyone who needs a carer!!
5 June 2018

Hi there, thanks for leaving such a nice review. It's nice to hear that our hard work throughout the business as a support function is received so well by our carers. We do all we can to make sure you have everything that you need to provide the excellent care our customers deserve.

Thanks,
Dan Pitman
Recruitment Marketing Manager

rewarding
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham4 January 2018
once you had finished a shift you'd feel rewarded knowing you have done all you can to help your patients. You'd feel appreciated, and each day would be the same
5 June 2018

Hi there, thanks for leaving this review. One of the most rewarding parts of the role is the satisfaction and appreciation you receive making a difference to someone's life. Thank you for the work that you do.

Thanks,
Dan Pitman
Recruitment Marketing Manager

Fun and productive
Live in carer (Former Employee) –  Alcester21 December 2017
Very nice company, with nice employees, a job where you can plan your free time as much as you want and choose when you can or cannot work. They give you professional training in everything you need to know related to the job.
Pros
Paid holiday
Cons
Sometimes it is not easy
28 December 2017

Many thanks for taking the time to leave this review, it is really good to hear that you are enjoying your role and that the training you received was up to our usual award winning standard.
Karen Rayfield, Director of People and Performance.

Profit prioritised over quality of care
carer (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom11 December 2017
Carers come last, long hours, most of it driving around, 30 mins to do a call you need at least an hour for (typical with this sort of work however), measly mileage paid. NOT flexible hours at all. You are the one required to be flexible not them. As all carers say the only reason you do it is for the lovely people you visit in their homes.
Pros
the customers
Cons
everything else
28 December 2017

I am sorry to hear that you the role didn't meet what you were looking for. Please make sure that you speak with your Branch Manager to see what can be done to change the rota around to better fit your needs. Care work does need a high degree of flexibility as our customers needs often change, however as you have written in your review looking after people that need your help and support is a very rewarding career.

Bury St Edmonds
Carer for family member (Former Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk20 November 2017
Training was fantastic but unfortunately when you get to your it doesnt come true. Long hard hours & ends up less than minimum wage. Absolutely no support from management, and felt like I was thrown in at the deep end.
Dont go there.
Avoid at all costs
Pros
Cons
Long long hours
8 December 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review, I am most disappointed to read that you did not receive the normal high level of support that we expect at Helping Hands. There are several people that you can go to within the regional team including your Area Manager and Regional Head if you feel that issues raised with your Branch Manager have not been resolved to your satisfaction. We also have a large Head Office team including HR and QA that are here to support you. It is pleasing to hear that you felt the training was "fantastic" and we work hard to ensure that this high level of value and support continues throughput every staff member's career at Helping Hands which is why it is so disappointing to read your review. Please get in touch so that we can ensure that any issues have been fully addressed.

Nice
Live in carer (Current Employee) –  England16 November 2017
The training week is in their main office which is located in Warwickshire. The staff are amazing and are very helpful.

You are then assigned to a customer who will look at your profile and accept you to be their carer.

All travel expenses are paid for eg. traveling by train to a customers house

Any problems regarding anything with your work you can contact the office phones or you are also given out of hours numbers
Pros
independant
8 December 2017

Hello and thank you for your kind comments. We are really pleased to hear that you are receiving the high standard of support that we expect.

Welcome to the team - it's great to have you on board!

8 December 2017

Welcome to the team - it's great to have you on board!

28 December 2017

It is great to read your review as everyone who works at Helping Hands gives their very best to support the great work that our Carers do supporting vulnerable people in their own homes. Welcome to the team!

Very disappointing....
Live in carer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London5 November 2017
To start off - the training was very well prepared and enjoyable and the people had great knowledge. Thank you :)
The rest unfortunately one big joke! Starting from the guys matching you with jobs to the coordinators and mangers. Very rude and unproffesional approach, no support while on the placement and it takes literally forever to get a reply! It's a real shame that nobody cares about the employees and customers. They all just want to push you on placement so that they can get money and don't care about the rest. Avoid if you can :)
Pros
Pay on time
Cons
Longer hours than they say, pay not that great, false placement information, no support for live in carers.....
28 December 2017

I was very disappointed to read your review as it does not match our usual high standard of support that is offered to our Carers. We have several people who are always on hand to help you including your line manager, regional management, QA and HR teams. Please get it touch with us so that we can understand exactly what the issues were that you faced and make sure that they are fully resolved.

Say all the right words prior to starting but a whole different ball game once employed
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Essex25 October 2017
Very clicky and like to put down staff members behind their backs. Support is never offered but is there if necessary and very much a draconian approach.
I found top management two faced, and they like to feed back EVERYTHING to the CEO which I found childish and made you feel like you were worth very little.
Most enjoyable past of the job was going home and they are too KPI focused. I wouldn't recommend personally as they do expect far too much from those on the front line.
Pros
Not many.
Cons
Mileage is terrible, wages aren't as good as they state against other domcare companies.
28 December 2017

I am very sad to read your review. It is most unusual for us to read comments like this so we are keen to understand the issues that you encountered. There are many ways that you can raise concerns, either through the QA and HR teams or through the regional management team under which your branch falls.

Management poor, not looking after their workers.
Live in Care Worker (Former Employee) –  UK3 October 2017
Caregivers were left on their own without support from managers.
Ill matched with clients.
Transport always paid promptly and so were wages and other expenses.
Pros
prompt payment, transport paid by company.
28 December 2017

I am very concerned to hear that you don't feel supported by your management team. Please escalate and issues that you have with customer matching, placements or support to either your regional management team or though HR or QA. We Have large, skilled teams both at our head office and out in the field whose sole focus is to support our customers and carers so it is important that you let us know if things aren't working for you.
It is good to know that our support functions are looking after your transport, expense and pay requirements in a way that meets your needs.

Poor management and communication
Live-in Carer (Current Employee) –  All over the Uk20 September 2017
Management struggles to deal with the smallest requirements/issues raised.
Poorly communicated with the live-in carers.
Pick and choose what and who they reply to.
The job is enjoyable but can be stressful and emotionally challenging.
Pros
Pay and working with the customers
Cons
Management and communication
28 December 2017

I am really sorry to hear that you have experienced issues with some of the requests that you have made for support. We have invested heavily in the number of team members that we have both based at our head office and out in the field to support our customers and carers. If you have issues that aren't being resolved quickly enough please escalate them to the regional management team for your area or to the QA or HR team based at head office. Our carers are incredibly important to us so it is important that we get the service levels right for what you need.
Karen Rayfield, Director of People and Performance

Good place to work but hours are not guaranteed
Hourly Carer (Current Employee) –  Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands15 September 2017
This is a great pace to work and people are really friendly and professional but they are unable to guarantee the hours of working, there is no consistency which makes it difficult to plan your days.
For the short time I have been there I have learned a lot not only about the people I work with but also the customers I visit on a daily basis, and knowing that I am making a difference to people's lives and helping them to live as independently as possible.
Supporting and friendly
Hourly support worker (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire4 September 2017
As a new employee to Helping Hands I have found the company to be very supporting, friendly and thorough in their approach to new members of staff. Their focus is on ensuring each service user is treated as an individual.
Pros
Good wages
Cons
No travel allowence
Great if you love stress
Out of hours manager (Former Employee) –  Alcester4 September 2017
Helping hands is a great company, they pay well and seem to care about their employees. Senior management are approachable and accommodating. However, it is a stressful environment and is only really suitable if you thrive on that atmosphere. In the end I left, only, due to disagreements with my manager (you get this everywhere) and the offer of a dream job!
Pros
Caring people that care
Cons
VERY Stressful at times
Postive all roumd experience.
Hourly care worker. (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire31 August 2017
From Interview to training a positive experience. Direct manager approachable and keen to keep lines of communication open. Training was enjoyable and relevant and left you wanting to achieve.
Pros
Good hourly rate
Cons
None as yet.
Professional
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Leighton Buzzard18 August 2017
I have enjoyed my work with them very much so and hope to continue to work with them in the future because the work which they do is unrivalled and invaluable to our community
care worker
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester18 August 2017
enjoyed my job with helping hands working with people and caring for them but unfortanllly the management team wasn't ver good and expected to only be with a client for a short period of time, where as I believe a lot of the client just want a little chat as they were lonely and enjoyed having someone come and visit them. I tried my hardest not to rush with my duties but still felt like I was always beng rushed.
good place to work
hourly carer (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk16 August 2017
really enjoyed working for helping hands visiting customers in their homes and helping their day to be a bit better. This including having a chat, assisting with personal care, domestic chores, meals and dinks.
Pros
good pay
Cons
travelling times
Extremely rewarding
Home Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex12 August 2017
Extremely rewarding, great business management, flexible around my life but involves α huge amount of punctuality as the clients are completely reliant on you.
Pros
Great hourly rates
Cons
Preferably mobile
good
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire9 August 2017
helping hands was good offering temp work around my children growing up I worked with the elderly supporting them in their own homes helped with cleaning cooking went out shopping and some with personal care

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Helping Hands. Our community is ready to answer.