Helping Hands Pay & Benefits reviews

Postive experince,Good team
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alcester, Warwickshire21 April 2018
I loved working for helping hands the company trained me well for my live in position, I had left due to the long hours and living away from home at the time it wasn't suitable for me, but I would go back if my circumstances change.
Pros
The company pay a food allowance whilst working away
5 June 2018

Hi there, thanks for leaving us a review. I hope that you have the opportunity to come back at some point in the future. If you'd like to get back in contact and potentially return to Helping Hands, feel free to send me an email on daniel.pitman@helpinghands.co.uk.

Dan

Avoid at all costs unless you like stress!!
Care Assistant for the Elderly (Former Employee) –  Lancashire6 April 2018
Don't let the attractive hourly rate fool you into thinking this is a decent job. Don't get me wrong, the clients are lovely and they are BY FAR the only good thing about working for this company. It is incredibly rewarding to care for people so they can remain independent in their own homes.
At first you may get a lot of hours offered. This will not be the same every week and unless you can survive on around 8 hours work per week, sometimes spread out as 2 hours in one day, this is not the job for you. Work life balance is atrocious. They will mess around with your rota constantly but then be difficult when you aren't happy with it. They will take hours off you with no notice and then tell you you have to give 4 weeks notice to change your availability....
And then there's the problems with pay, which is always wrong and you're expected to wait a month for them to correct it. Management are terrible at communicating unless they want something from you.
And then there's the mileage! Expected to travel 80+ miles somedays. You don't get paid travelling time. You may have a 12 hour shift and get paid for 6 hours, the other 6 you will be driving. Yes mileage is paid but at 19p a mile it barely covers fuel never mind wear and tear.
All in all, worst few months of my working life. I've never felt so stressed about work. If the customers weren't so lovely and a pleasure to care for the company would have nothing going for it. Don't waste your time applying! There are far better jobs out there!
Pros
Lovely customers good rate of pay
Cons
Terrible work-life balance, poor communication, messed up pay
5 June 2018

I’m really sorry to hear your experience with us hasn’t been as positive as you’d expected. If you’d like to discuss these issues in a bit more detail, can you please drop me an email when you can on daniel.pitman@helpinghands.co.uk?

Speak to you soon,

Love the job itself
Hourly Carer (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire28 March 2018
Currently work for Helping hands, absolutely love my job although sometimes can be very tiring. The customers are fab and I have a set shift plan, even better now we all have CellTrak. Sometimes management let you down as regards to time off and over working us but you get used to it (even though we shouldn’t) training is excellent and you can go to the manager and talk about any issues you may have (personally) sometimes you don’t get enough travel time and pay for mileage needs to be higher. Never have time to eat (great for dieting) or you have 4hr gaps between calls. Overall I love working for helping hands but they need some improvement.
Pros
Support, customers, pay, celltrak, training
Cons
Long hours, not enough travel time, mileage pay needs to be better
5 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review, it's always so lovely to hear the great experiences that our carers have around the business. However, I'm interested in hearing more about the negative aspects of this review to see if there's anything we can do. If you'd like to contact me on daniel.pitman@helpinghands.co.uk, we can discuss in more detail.

Great and flexible workplace
hourly carer (Current Employee) –  Wimbledon12 March 2018
Good management. Great customers. Good salary. I needed a flexible job and they are excellent. very good training. nice people around. the hardest part thez only provide zero hour contract.
5 June 2018

Hi there, thank you for leaving this lovely review! We do our best to provide as many hours to our carers as we possibly can. I hope that you've been able to find the flexible work pattern you require with us. We pride ourselves on our award-winning training too, so it's great to see that this is something you're happy with.

Dan

Loved the clients and that's about it
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  South East15 February 2018
The clients are what made it, I worked with the company for approximately before a month and that's the only bit I enjoyed. I loved getting to know the clients, helping them out and ensuring they had the care and company they deserved. However, as a company they couldn't care less about their staff and it took me no time at all to realise this. If you have a question or concern don't expect a reply - they are less that responsive to their staff and can only be bothered to contact you when they need something. Also, I respect that a job like this comes with travel to meet the needs of the clients however I was expected to travel half hour from home with half hour distance between each call for just only two hours work. Fair enough mileage is paid at 19p per mile but when you're travelling those distances your paying more then you're being paid for your shift. I personally wouldn't recommend it at all.
Pros
Clients all the way; Pay is much better than elsewhere
Cons
Pretty much everything else
Fun and productive
Live in carer (Former Employee) –  Alcester21 December 2017
Very nice company, with nice employees, a job where you can plan your free time as much as you want and choose when you can or cannot work. They give you professional training in everything you need to know related to the job.
Pros
Paid holiday
Cons
Sometimes it is not easy
28 December 2017

Many thanks for taking the time to leave this review, it is really good to hear that you are enjoying your role and that the training you received was up to our usual award winning standard.
Karen Rayfield, Director of People and Performance.

Profit prioritised over quality of care
carer (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom11 December 2017
Carers come last, long hours, most of it driving around, 30 mins to do a call you need at least an hour for (typical with this sort of work however), measly mileage paid. NOT flexible hours at all. You are the one required to be flexible not them. As all carers say the only reason you do it is for the lovely people you visit in their homes.
Pros
the customers
Cons
everything else
28 December 2017

I am sorry to hear that you the role didn't meet what you were looking for. Please make sure that you speak with your Branch Manager to see what can be done to change the rota around to better fit your needs. Care work does need a high degree of flexibility as our customers needs often change, however as you have written in your review looking after people that need your help and support is a very rewarding career.
Karen Rayfield, Director of People and Performance.

Management poor, not looking after their workers.
Live in Care Worker (Former Employee) –  UK3 October 2017
Caregivers were left on their own without support from managers.
Ill matched with clients.
Transport always paid promptly and so were wages and other expenses.
Pros
prompt payment, transport paid by company.
28 December 2017

I am very concerned to hear that you don't feel supported by your management team. Please escalate and issues that you have with customer matching, placements or support to either your regional management team or though HR or QA. We Have large, skilled teams both at our head office and out in the field whose sole focus is to support our customers and carers so it is important that you let us know if things aren't working for you.
It is good to know that our support functions are looking after your transport, expense and pay requirements in a way that meets your needs.

Poor management and communication
Live-in Carer (Current Employee) –  All over the Uk20 September 2017
Management struggles to deal with the smallest requirements/issues raised.
Poorly communicated with the live-in carers.
Pick and choose what and who they reply to.
The job is enjoyable but can be stressful and emotionally challenging.
Pros
Pay and working with the customers
Cons
Management and communication
28 December 2017

I am really sorry to hear that you have experienced issues with some of the requests that you have made for support. We have invested heavily in the number of team members that we have both based at our head office and out in the field to support our customers and carers. If you have issues that aren't being resolved quickly enough please escalate them to the regional management team for your area or to the QA or HR team based at head office. Our carers are incredibly important to us so it is important that we get the service levels right for what you need.
Karen Rayfield, Director of People and Performance

Seems all one sided
Care Assistant for the Elderly (Former Employee) –  Worthing and surrounding area18 July 2017
Although Helping Hands advertise a good rate of pay,
In reality it's not that great. The travel/ mileage allowance is the lowest in the area and the calls we are given are geographically impractical. All in all, I'm going to have to throw in the towel as it's not economical to continue. Training and shadow shifts are not paid and the DBS is reclaimed in the first two pay days. Also, business insurance needs to be added to car insurance costing money . Overall, this makes a bit of a mockery of the £100 bonus paid in the first month.
Pros
Lovely clients
Cons
Drive all over, lots to pay out in early days, split calls so you're really working 'all day'
Good company
Carer (Former Employee) –  united Kingdom6 June 2017
Good company, with a good staff.Busy day with a lot of tasks. Helping with personal hygiene and with everything related with the house, food, money and personal life.
The client was tetraplegic, so this was the hardest part. The most enjoyable part was the client is a excellent and amazing person.
Pros
Client
Cons
Salary
Good company, friendly and a phone call away
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Prudhoe, Northumberland26 April 2017
Good company good pay a phone call away when you can get to speak to who u need, cant always get the hours you were promised and rotas are late out and sometimes not recived. No food contribution when doing 24hr shifts
Pros
Good hourly wage
Cons
Late rotas no hours spend alot of own money when out on food
Rewarding
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chester, Cheshire21 April 2017
Rewarding job very enjoyable.meeting new people and new situations. Good rate of pay. Working as a team with other staff and carers. Everyday is different and always willing to learn and improve my knowledge. I would recommend this job to many other people.
Pros
Good rate of pay
Cons
Driving /travelling
reliable employer
Live-in Carer (Former Employee) –  around UK11 April 2017
work can be long and challenging but also rewarding, especially if clients and families are nice

good pay

big turn-over in the headoffice, sometimes difficult to speak to

managers also change often, could be tricky to get hold of
Pros
steady pay
Cons
not much support at weekends; favourism in HO
caring work place
Carer (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire15 January 2017
Nice relaxed and friendly, home to home care, all individual needs are met to a very high standard. hours are flexible to suit around my home life. generally a good place to work
Pros
meeting new clients
Cons
alot of travelling
Excellent training, plenty of placement opportunities.
Live in carer (Current Employee) –  North West14 November 2016
Having never worked in care, the training I received was excellent, practical and informative. I was worried about my first placement but quickly settled into a routine with support from my colleague at the time. The most enjoyable part of the job is feeling that you are giving something back to society by helping others in need.
Having worked in Human Resource Management before taking early retirement I have to say that this job is the most rewarding I have ever done because I feel I am doing something worthwhile. Furthermore, I certainly feel that I am appreciated by the family I work with, my line manager and even the CEO, who takes the time to email and write to you when have done something worthwhile or raise a suggestion on how we can improve.

This job allows me to work when it suits me, which allows me to enjoy the lifestyle I have created since semi retiring.
Pros
You can work as many weeks as you want to fit in with your lifestyle.
Cons
You are living in with someone so you need to be able to adjust to this.
Culture of fear
Carer (Former Employee) –  Warwickshire30 July 2016
You constantly fear that you will lose your job.

Management expect far too much for the money they pay. Very stressful situation to work in.
Pros
Cons
Under paid, over worked
expects too much from employees
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Horley Central10 July 2016
Good company on paper...however
management expect too much from employees.
lack of support.
employees are worked too hard.
Pros
lovely customers
Cons
long hours, no support
Good way to save money but very little else.
- (Former Employee) –  -23 June 2015
As a live in carer, your freedom is almost completely taken away from you. The minimum amount of breaks eligible is not really enough. The office staff are not the most organised, so if you're planning to work as a temporary live in carer, make sure you can deal with last minute changes. The work conditions really depends on each placement - luck of the draw, really. It can be an interesting job, but make sure you're adaptable and can deal with being unsociable. In terms of pay, if you break it down to the hour, it's nothing. But there's no need to pay for rent or food, so money is almost straight into your pocket.
Fun and challenging
Live-in carer (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, ENG5 March 2014
Easy going environment
Flexible
Work at own initiative,can be a bit monotonous and challenging. Great support and training from management.
Pros
Diversity, free transport, food allowance
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Helping Hands. Our community is ready to answer.