Helping Hands Pay & Benefits reviews

Amazing place to work
Care and Training Practioner (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon9 November 2018
Every day is rewarding! You work with such an amazing team and get to build such a good rapport with all cliental. Not only that but they make sure we all get continuity of work and have a great work - life balance.

I would recommend and have recommended working for Helping Hands to everyone as I believe it beats all other work firms around.

There are amazing benefits to working with the company and there are a lot of staff engagement and satisfaction.
A truly caring place to work
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  South West6 November 2018
I have been with Helping Hands as one of their branch managers for just over 6 months, and it is the most refreshing company I have ever worked for. Their strong family values ensure you feel a part of something special every day.

I enjoy every aspect of working for Helping Hands and take pride in managing one of their branches. I have a fantastic team of carers who provide the best quality, person centred care possible, which is ensured by the award winning training they all receive prior to starting with us, as well as opportunities for continuous development.

The hardest part of my job- I can honestly say, working for such a forward thinking and caring company, with such supportive management. I believe there's nothing we cant overcome!
Pros
Training opportunities and support networks, excellent salary, management teams
Love the job - pay is terrible (although better than most companies doing the same job)
Hourly carer (Current Employee) –  North England1 November 2018
Absolutely love my job at helping hands, as I’m sure I would with any company in the same industry. Its so rewarding to help customers and I feel it’s such an important job, but it can be very stressful and physically difficult to keep up with what some customers want. I chose to work here mostly due to being a mum and needed to pick what hours I wanted to work.
However, I am being paid less than minimum wage realistically as you don’t get paid between customers and often have to sit in my car waiting for the next one for over an hour which is depressing and demoralising. With how hard I work in this company and how much they charge the customers (which they regularly inform me is a lot) I feel like we should be paid more. And as I very rarely see any colleagues or anything all the hard work goes unnoticed anyway. I am seriously considering leaving to work at a supermarket to get paid more, and have guaranteed hours ,sadly, which is upsetting as I do really love the job.
Pros
Satisfaction with lovely customers, work hours you want
Cons
Pay, stressful, physically demanding
not very helpful hands
HCA/Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Alcester, Warwickshire3 September 2018
the training was very good and thorough, I was able to advance my skills and qualifications. however, they were not concerned about ensuring these new skills were put in to practice with their employees and service users. I had many concerns I raised with management but nothing was done about it. I could not continue working with a company that did not hold up it's duty of care.
Pros
good training
Cons
lack of care

Comment – 17 September 2018

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to write us a review. I'm sorry to hear that your experience with us wasn't what you'd expected, but I'd like to hear more about the issues you've raised. If you can, email me on daniel.pitman@helpinghands.co.uk and I can try to understand more about them if possible.

Dan

A waste of space and time
Live in carer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London6 August 2018
This company believe me is not worth applying for especially to do the live in care it’s very unpaid and the placements they send you to are not the placements they tell you about I always found they were always trying to sell the client to the carer
Pros
No pros
Cons
long Hours.very low wage
Is a good place to work for
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Derby2 July 2018
You work all the time and they are good, you can work as much as you like. The only thing is you are working like 15 hours a day however you only get paid for 9.

Comment – 17 September 2018

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave a review! Good to hear that you have the flexibility you want whilst working for us. Make sure you raise any concerns you have with your branch manager who can always help.

Adventurous and sad.
Live in carer (Former Employee) –  Devon28 June 2018
Very good experience, meet new people and places, hard to work alone, not much personal time or time with family and friends, good for saving money mostly for short periods, anytime leave or holidays with a short notice of at least 3 months, supportive team.
Pros
Money saving from transportation and food in cases.
Cons
No personal life

Comment – 17 September 2018

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave a review. Glad to hear that you had a good experience with us at Helping Hands. We are as supportive as possible towards our carers and it's great to see that you felt that support in your time with us.

Wishing you all the best,

Postive experince,Good team
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alcester, Warwickshire21 April 2018
I loved working for helping hands the company trained me well for my live in position, I had left due to the long hours and living away from home at the time it wasn't suitable for me, but I would go back if my circumstances change.
Pros
The company pay a food allowance whilst working away
5 June 2018

Hi there, thanks for leaving us a review. I hope that you have the opportunity to come back at some point in the future. If you'd like to get back in contact and potentially return to Helping Hands, feel free to send me an email on daniel.pitman@helpinghands.co.uk.

Dan

Avoid at all costs unless you like stress!!
Care Assistant for the Elderly (Former Employee) –  Lancashire6 April 2018
Don't let the attractive hourly rate fool you into thinking this is a decent job. Don't get me wrong, the clients are lovely and they are BY FAR the only good thing about working for this company. It is incredibly rewarding to care for people so they can remain independent in their own homes.
At first you may get a lot of hours offered. This will not be the same every week and unless you can survive on around 8 hours work per week, sometimes spread out as 2 hours in one day, this is not the job for you. Work life balance is atrocious. They will mess around with your rota constantly but then be difficult when you aren't happy with it. They will take hours off you with no notice and then tell you you have to give 4 weeks notice to change your availability....
And then there's the problems with pay, which is always wrong and you're expected to wait a month for them to correct it. Management are terrible at communicating unless they want something from you.
And then there's the mileage! Expected to travel 80+ miles somedays. You don't get paid travelling time. You may have a 12 hour shift and get paid for 6 hours, the other 6 you will be driving. Yes mileage is paid but at 19p a mile it barely covers fuel never mind wear and tear.
All in all, worst few months of my working life. I've never felt so stressed about work. If the customers weren't so lovely and a pleasure to care for the company would have nothing going for it. Don't waste your time applying! There are far better jobs out there!
Pros
Lovely customers good rate of pay
Cons
Terrible work-life balance, poor communication, messed up pay
5 June 2018

I’m really sorry to hear your experience with us hasn’t been as positive as you’d expected. If you’d like to discuss these issues in a bit more detail, can you please drop me an email when you can on daniel.pitman@helpinghands.co.uk?

Speak to you soon,

Love the job itself
Hourly Carer (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire28 March 2018
Currently work for Helping hands, absolutely love my job although sometimes can be very tiring. The customers are fab and I have a set shift plan, even better now we all have CellTrak. Sometimes management let you down as regards to time off and over working us but you get used to it (even though we shouldn’t) training is excellent and you can go to the manager and talk about any issues you may have (personally) sometimes you don’t get enough travel time and pay for mileage needs to be higher. Never have time to eat (great for dieting) or you have 4hr gaps between calls. Overall I love working for helping hands but they need some improvement.
Pros
Support, customers, pay, celltrak, training
Cons
Long hours, not enough travel time, mileage pay needs to be better
5 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review, it's always so lovely to hear the great experiences that our carers have around the business. However, I'm interested in hearing more about the negative aspects of this review to see if there's anything we can do. If you'd like to contact me on daniel.pitman@helpinghands.co.uk, we can discuss in more detail.

Great and flexible workplace
hourly carer (Current Employee) –  Wimbledon12 March 2018
Good management. Great customers. Good salary. I needed a flexible job and they are excellent. very good training. nice people around. the hardest part thez only provide zero hour contract.
5 June 2018

Hi there, thank you for leaving this lovely review! We do our best to provide as many hours to our carers as we possibly can. I hope that you've been able to find the flexible work pattern you require with us. We pride ourselves on our award-winning training too, so it's great to see that this is something you're happy with.

Dan

Loved the clients and that's about it
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  South East15 February 2018
The clients are what made it, I worked with the company for approximately before a month and that's the only bit I enjoyed. I loved getting to know the clients, helping them out and ensuring they had the care and company they deserved. However, as a company they couldn't care less about their staff and it took me no time at all to realise this. If you have a question or concern don't expect a reply - they are less that responsive to their staff and can only be bothered to contact you when they need something. Also, I respect that a job like this comes with travel to meet the needs of the clients however I was expected to travel half hour from home with half hour distance between each call for just only two hours work. Fair enough mileage is paid at 19p per mile but when you're travelling those distances your paying more then you're being paid for your shift. I personally wouldn't recommend it at all.
Pros
Clients all the way; Pay is much better than elsewhere
Cons
Pretty much everything else
Fun and productive
Live in carer (Former Employee) –  Alcester21 December 2017
Very nice company, with nice employees, a job where you can plan your free time as much as you want and choose when you can or cannot work. They give you professional training in everything you need to know related to the job.
Pros
Paid holiday
Cons
Sometimes it is not easy
28 December 2017

Many thanks for taking the time to leave this review, it is really good to hear that you are enjoying your role and that the training you received was up to our usual award winning standard.
Karen Rayfield, Director of People and Performance.

Profit prioritised over quality of care
carer (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom11 December 2017
Carers come last, long hours, most of it driving around, 30 mins to do a call you need at least an hour for (typical with this sort of work however), measly mileage paid. NOT flexible hours at all. You are the one required to be flexible not them. As all carers say the only reason you do it is for the lovely people you visit in their homes.
Pros
the customers
Cons
everything else
28 December 2017

I am sorry to hear that you the role didn't meet what you were looking for. Please make sure that you speak with your Branch Manager to see what can be done to change the rota around to better fit your needs. Care work does need a high degree of flexibility as our customers needs often change, however as you have written in your review looking after people that need your help and support is a very rewarding career.

Bury St Edmonds
Carer for family member (Former Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk20 November 2017
Training was fantastic but unfortunately when you get to your it doesnt come true. Long hard hours & ends up less than minimum wage. Absolutely no support from management, and felt like I was thrown in at the deep end.
Dont go there.
Avoid at all costs
Pros
Cons
Long long hours
8 December 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review, I am most disappointed to read that you did not receive the normal high level of support that we expect at Helping Hands. There are several people that you can go to within the regional team including your Area Manager and Regional Head if you feel that issues raised with your Branch Manager have not been resolved to your satisfaction. We also have a large Head Office team including HR and QA that are here to support you. It is pleasing to hear that you felt the training was "fantastic" and we work hard to ensure that this high level of value and support continues throughput every staff member's career at Helping Hands which is why it is so disappointing to read your review. Please get in touch so that we can ensure that any issues have been fully addressed.
Karen Rayfield, Director of People and Performance.

Management poor, not looking after their workers.
Live in Care Worker (Former Employee) –  UK3 October 2017
Caregivers were left on their own without support from managers.
Ill matched with clients.
Transport always paid promptly and so were wages and other expenses.
Pros
prompt payment, transport paid by company.
28 December 2017

I am very concerned to hear that you don't feel supported by your management team. Please escalate and issues that you have with customer matching, placements or support to either your regional management team or though HR or QA. We Have large, skilled teams both at our head office and out in the field whose sole focus is to support our customers and carers so it is important that you let us know if things aren't working for you.
It is good to know that our support functions are looking after your transport, expense and pay requirements in a way that meets your needs.

Poor management and communication
Live-in Carer (Current Employee) –  All over the Uk20 September 2017
Management struggles to deal with the smallest requirements/issues raised.
Poorly communicated with the live-in carers.
Pick and choose what and who they reply to.
The job is enjoyable but can be stressful and emotionally challenging.
Pros
Pay and working with the customers
Cons
Management and communication
28 December 2017

I am really sorry to hear that you have experienced issues with some of the requests that you have made for support. We have invested heavily in the number of team members that we have both based at our head office and out in the field to support our customers and carers. If you have issues that aren't being resolved quickly enough please escalate them to the regional management team for your area or to the QA or HR team based at head office. Our carers are incredibly important to us so it is important that we get the service levels right for what you need.
Karen Rayfield, Director of People and Performance

Extremely rewarding
Home Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex12 August 2017
Extremely rewarding, great business management, flexible around my life but involves α huge amount of punctuality as the clients are completely reliant on you.
Pros
Great hourly rates
Cons
Preferably mobile
Seems all one sided
Care Assistant for the Elderly (Former Employee) –  Worthing and surrounding area18 July 2017
Although Helping Hands advertise a good rate of pay,
In reality it's not that great. The travel/ mileage allowance is the lowest in the area and the calls we are given are geographically impractical. All in all, I'm going to have to throw in the towel as it's not economical to continue. Training and shadow shifts are not paid and the DBS is reclaimed in the first two pay days. Also, business insurance needs to be added to car insurance costing money . Overall, this makes a bit of a mockery of the £100 bonus paid in the first month.
Pros
Lovely clients
Cons
Drive all over, lots to pay out in early days, split calls so you're really working 'all day'
Good company
Carer (Former Employee) –  united Kingdom6 June 2017
Good company, with a good staff.Busy day with a lot of tasks. Helping with personal hygiene and with everything related with the house, food, money and personal life.
The client was tetraplegic, so this was the hardest part. The most enjoyable part was the client is a excellent and amazing person.
Pros
Client
Cons
Salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Helping Hands. Our community is ready to answer.