Play YouTube video button

Helping Hands Employee Reviews for Caregiver

Total Waste Of Time
Hourly visiting Carer (Former Employee) –  Bromley, Greater London9 December 2018
Management bully staff and hold a grudge.
You pull them up on something and they victimise you and make things difficult for you forcing you to leave.
Giving you jobs outside of your availability and taking jobs away with no notice or reason.
Pros
Cons
Management and everything
Chelmsford Hourly Branch
Live in carer / Hourly Carer (Current Employee) –  Midlands to South East27 November 2018
The communication is like any other care company, a bit poor but i have to say the women in branch do there very best to help and support you, as they get a lot of calls during the day it can lead to knock on effects, so i would suggest to anyone to be as quick as you can on the phone and free up the line for actual emergencies, the rota's are usually sent in good time and you will be getting a lot of emails regarding rota's as they are changed regularly - remember those knock on effects?.

I do have to say that Helping Hands do allocate travel time between customers which is usually the correct amount of time but it can be used up quickly if there is a lot of traffic, it is just something that is out of our control. I have seen some rota's from other hourly care companies and they either have no allocated travel time or you have to be in two places at once.

All in all, Helping Hands is a great company to work for, they support you the best they can, always open to your ideas, the pay is good for both sides of main care (speaking from experience).

Thank you for your time for reading this, have a lovely day.
Pros
Travel expenses paid by Company / Consider anyone. for employment
Cons
Communication has room for improvement.
Great supportive place to work
Hourly carer (Current Employee) –  Torquay, Devon9 November 2018
Overall great place to work, things I love about my job.

Everyday is different
Supportive colleagues & managers
Great training
Offers progression in your career
Flexible work life, can fit around your family life
Meeting new people
Knowing that I’m making a difference in people’s life
Friendly company.
Pros
Career progression
Rewarding
Hourly visit carer (Current Employee) –  Torquay, Devon7 November 2018
Variety visits, good training, well managed and manager very approachable, getting attached to customers, when you can make someone smile,
Its such a rewarding job and you definitely get job satisfaction.
Kind,caring and supportive for staff and customers
Hv carer (Current Employee) –  Torquay, Devon7 November 2018
Working for helping hands is such a rewarding job, all the staff and customers are so friendly and supportive, the dedication to the customers is amazing, everyone try’s their best to help each other out, the support from the office is the best I’ve ever experienced, working for helping hands is like being part of a big family.
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
Low mileage pay
The best!!!
Carer (Current Employee) –  Torquay6 November 2018
This is the best company I have ever worked for. All the staff are Amazing at what they do. I would recommend to work for this company or if you need care. Going to work doesn't feel like work I love it
Love the job - pay is terrible (although better than most companies doing the same job)
Hourly carer (Current Employee) –  North England1 November 2018
Absolutely love my job at helping hands, as I’m sure I would with any company in the same industry. Its so rewarding to help customers and I feel it’s such an important job, but it can be very stressful and physically difficult to keep up with what some customers want. I chose to work here mostly due to being a mum and needed to pick what hours I wanted to work.
However, I am being paid less than minimum wage realistically as you don’t get paid between customers and often have to sit in my car waiting for the next one for over an hour which is depressing and demoralising. With how hard I work in this company and how much they charge the customers (which they regularly inform me is a lot) I feel like we should be paid more. And as I very rarely see any colleagues or anything all the hard work goes unnoticed anyway. I am seriously considering leaving to work at a supermarket to get paid more, and have guaranteed hours ,sadly, which is upsetting as I do really love the job.
Pros
Satisfaction with lovely customers, work hours you want
Cons
Pay, stressful, physically demanding
Lovely Workplace
Carer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lichfield, Staffordshire4 October 2018
I enjoy working with Helping Hands, The people and families i work with are lovely, the only thing that lets it down is that i do not recieve enough hours in the week.

Comment – 24 October 2018

Thanks for leaving such a lovely review! If you ever need any support, your branch manager or head office can always lend a hand.

UnCaring Employer- stay away
Carer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London29 September 2018
Dont waste your time if you value your sanity!! Managers with zero work ethic and/communication skills. Care plans and initial risk plans are incorrect. When you arrive at the client you find nothing to coincide what was discussed with you. No duty of care whatsoever. Such a pity the training team is top notch. You could die at your customer and they wouldnt even realise you are missing! Pathetic
Pros
Super clients
Cons
Nada

Comment – 24 October 2018

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear that you've had this experience with us.

I'd like to learn more about the reasons why you feel this way, so I can follow up internally as this is not at all the level of support we come to expect from Helping Hands.

If you can, send me an email on daniel.pitman@helpinghands.co.uk and we can discuss further.

rewarding
hourly carer (Current Employee) –  Cheltenham, Gloucestershire18 September 2018
Everyday is different within a care environment but my main duties are personal care, giving medication and providing general support. The most rewarding job I have had, I go everyday knowing I have made a positive difference in someone's day.
Pros
helping people on daily basis
Cons
long hours but dont get paid for all the hours im out the house

Comment – 24 October 2018

Hi there, thanks for leaving us a lovely review! Glad to hear that you're having such a good time working with us. If you require any support, your manager in branch and head office are always here to lend a hand.

rewarding Job
Carer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mancherster8 August 2018
I really enjoy the job, Very rewarding, making a difference to peoples lives, however not enough hours and involves a lot of travel from customer to customer and dead time between calls. great training and support given and ongoing.
Pros
rewarding
Cons
travel between calls

Comment – 17 September 2018

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! Many of our carers find it extremely rewarding to impact peoples lives in such a positive way. Glad to hear you're having such a rewarding experience.

Dan

A waste of space and time
Live in carer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London6 August 2018
This company believe me is not worth applying for especially to do the live in care it’s very unpaid and the placements they send you to are not the placements they tell you about I always found they were always trying to sell the client to the carer
Pros
No pros
Cons
long Hours.very low wage
Adventurous and sad.
Live in carer (Former Employee) –  Devon28 June 2018
Very good experience, meet new people and places, hard to work alone, not much personal time or time with family and friends, good for saving money mostly for short periods, anytime leave or holidays with a short notice of at least 3 months, supportive team.
Pros
Money saving from transportation and food in cases.
Cons
No personal life

Comment – 17 September 2018

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave a review. Glad to hear that you had a good experience with us at Helping Hands. We are as supportive as possible towards our carers and it's great to see that you felt that support in your time with us.

Wishing you all the best,

Too large to manage...
Live in carer (Former Employee) –  Kent2 June 2018
I used to work for HH for approximately 4 years, as a live in carer. I had a manager to support me, I have never met... I have been tricked into very challenging placements for 410£/ week, no food allowance...
If I said NO for a placement because I didn't feel safe with that client the office would ignore me in future and would not give me a placement... Sent updates to management about the clients routine etc and when they offered me the same client 6 months or 1 year later, had to find out that they never updated the clients' profile...
BUT on the good side I have met some fantastic caring humans (carers and family members) and some fantastic clients during this journey of mine.
By the end the care managers were better too, they came to visit the clients more regularly but not all of them ...
5 June 2018

I’m really sorry to hear your experience with us hasn’t been as positive as you’d expected. If you’d like to discuss these issues in a bit more detail, can you please drop me an email when you can, on daniel.pitman@helpinghands.co.uk?

Hopefully speak to you soon,

Love the job itself
Hourly Carer (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire28 March 2018
Currently work for Helping hands, absolutely love my job although sometimes can be very tiring. The customers are fab and I have a set shift plan, even better now we all have CellTrak. Sometimes management let you down as regards to time off and over working us but you get used to it (even though we shouldn’t) training is excellent and you can go to the manager and talk about any issues you may have (personally) sometimes you don’t get enough travel time and pay for mileage needs to be higher. Never have time to eat (great for dieting) or you have 4hr gaps between calls. Overall I love working for helping hands but they need some improvement.
Pros
Support, customers, pay, celltrak, training
Cons
Long hours, not enough travel time, mileage pay needs to be better
5 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review, it's always so lovely to hear the great experiences that our carers have around the business. However, I'm interested in hearing more about the negative aspects of this review to see if there's anything we can do. If you'd like to contact me on daniel.pitman@helpinghands.co.uk, we can discuss in more detail.

Great and flexible workplace
hourly carer (Current Employee) –  Wimbledon12 March 2018
Good management. Great customers. Good salary. I needed a flexible job and they are excellent. very good training. nice people around. the hardest part thez only provide zero hour contract.
5 June 2018

Hi there, thank you for leaving this lovely review! We do our best to provide as many hours to our carers as we possibly can. I hope that you've been able to find the flexible work pattern you require with us. We pride ourselves on our award-winning training too, so it's great to see that this is something you're happy with.

Fun and productive
Live in carer (Former Employee) –  Alcester21 December 2017
Very nice company, with nice employees, a job where you can plan your free time as much as you want and choose when you can or cannot work. They give you professional training in everything you need to know related to the job.
Pros
Paid holiday
Cons
Sometimes it is not easy
28 December 2017

Many thanks for taking the time to leave this review, it is really good to hear that you are enjoying your role and that the training you received was up to our usual award winning standard.
Karen Rayfield, Director of People and Performance.

Profit prioritised over quality of care
carer (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom11 December 2017
Carers come last, long hours, most of it driving around, 30 mins to do a call you need at least an hour for (typical with this sort of work however), measly mileage paid. NOT flexible hours at all. You are the one required to be flexible not them. As all carers say the only reason you do it is for the lovely people you visit in their homes.
Pros
the customers
Cons
everything else
28 December 2017

I am sorry to hear that you the role didn't meet what you were looking for. Please make sure that you speak with your Branch Manager to see what can be done to change the rota around to better fit your needs. Care work does need a high degree of flexibility as our customers needs often change, however as you have written in your review looking after people that need your help and support is a very rewarding career.

Bury St Edmonds
Carer for family member (Former Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk20 November 2017
Training was fantastic but unfortunately when you get to your it doesnt come true. Long hard hours & ends up less than minimum wage. Absolutely no support from management, and felt like I was thrown in at the deep end.
Dont go there.
Avoid at all costs
Pros
Cons
Long long hours
8 December 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review, I am most disappointed to read that you did not receive the normal high level of support that we expect at Helping Hands. There are several people that you can go to within the regional team including your Area Manager and Regional Head if you feel that issues raised with your Branch Manager have not been resolved to your satisfaction. We also have a large Head Office team including HR and QA that are here to support you. It is pleasing to hear that you felt the training was "fantastic" and we work hard to ensure that this high level of value and support continues throughput every staff member's career at Helping Hands which is why it is so disappointing to read your review. Please get in touch so that we can ensure that any issues have been fully addressed.

Nice
Live in carer (Current Employee) –  England16 November 2017
The training week is in their main office which is located in Warwickshire. The staff are amazing and are very helpful.

You are then assigned to a customer who will look at your profile and accept you to be their carer.

All travel expenses are paid for eg. traveling by train to a customers house

Any problems regarding anything with your work you can contact the office phones or you are also given out of hours numbers
Pros
independant
8 December 2017

Hello and thank you for your kind comments. We are really pleased to hear that you are receiving the high standard of support that we expect.

Welcome to the team - it's great to have you on board!

8 December 2017

Welcome to the team - it's great to have you on board!

28 December 2017

It is great to read your review as everyone who works at Helping Hands gives their very best to support the great work that our Carers do supporting vulnerable people in their own homes. Welcome to the team!
Karen Rayfield, Director of People and Performance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Helping Hands. Our community is ready to answer.

Helping Hands Reviews by Location