Helping Hands Employee Reviews for Caregiver

Too large to manage...
Live in carer (Former Employee) –  Kent2 June 2018
I used to work for HH for approximately 4 years, as a live in carer. I had a manager to support me, I have never met... I have been tricked into very challenging placements for 410£/ week, no food allowance...
If I said NO for a placement because I didn't feel safe with that client the office would ignore me in future and would not give me a placement... Sent updates to management about the clients routine etc and when they offered me the same client 6 months or 1 year later, had to find out that they never updated the clients' profile...
BUT on the good side I have met some fantastic caring humans (carers and family members) and some fantastic clients during this journey of mine.
By the end the care managers were better too, they came to visit the clients more regularly but not all of them ...
5 June 2018

I’m really sorry to hear your experience with us hasn’t been as positive as you’d expected. If you’d like to discuss these issues in a bit more detail, can you please drop me an email when you can, on daniel.pitman@helpinghands.co.uk?

Hopefully speak to you soon,

Love the job itself
Hourly Carer (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire28 March 2018
Currently work for Helping hands, absolutely love my job although sometimes can be very tiring. The customers are fab and I have a set shift plan, even better now we all have CellTrak. Sometimes management let you down as regards to time off and over working us but you get used to it (even though we shouldn’t) training is excellent and you can go to the manager and talk about any issues you may have (personally) sometimes you don’t get enough travel time and pay for mileage needs to be higher. Never have time to eat (great for dieting) or you have 4hr gaps between calls. Overall I love working for helping hands but they need some improvement.
Pros
Support, customers, pay, celltrak, training
Cons
Long hours, not enough travel time, mileage pay needs to be better
5 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review, it's always so lovely to hear the great experiences that our carers have around the business. However, I'm interested in hearing more about the negative aspects of this review to see if there's anything we can do. If you'd like to contact me on daniel.pitman@helpinghands.co.uk, we can discuss in more detail.

Thanks,

Great and flexible workplace
hourly carer (Current Employee) –  Wimbledon12 March 2018
Good management. Great customers. Good salary. I needed a flexible job and they are excellent. very good training. nice people around. the hardest part thez only provide zero hour contract.
5 June 2018

Hi there, thank you for leaving this lovely review! We do our best to provide as many hours to our carers as we possibly can. I hope that you've been able to find the flexible work pattern you require with us. We pride ourselves on our award-winning training too, so it's great to see that this is something you're happy with.

Thanks,

Fun and productive
Live in carer (Former Employee) –  Alcester21 December 2017
Very nice company, with nice employees, a job where you can plan your free time as much as you want and choose when you can or cannot work. They give you professional training in everything you need to know related to the job.
Pros
Paid holiday
Cons
Sometimes it is not easy
28 December 2017

Many thanks for taking the time to leave this review, it is really good to hear that you are enjoying your role and that the training you received was up to our usual award winning standard.
Karen Rayfield, Director of People and Performance.

Profit prioritised over quality of care
carer (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom11 December 2017
Carers come last, long hours, most of it driving around, 30 mins to do a call you need at least an hour for (typical with this sort of work however), measly mileage paid. NOT flexible hours at all. You are the one required to be flexible not them. As all carers say the only reason you do it is for the lovely people you visit in their homes.
Pros
the customers
Cons
everything else
28 December 2017

I am sorry to hear that you the role didn't meet what you were looking for. Please make sure that you speak with your Branch Manager to see what can be done to change the rota around to better fit your needs. Care work does need a high degree of flexibility as our customers needs often change, however as you have written in your review looking after people that need your help and support is a very rewarding career.

Nice
Live in carer (Current Employee) –  England16 November 2017
The training week is in their main office which is located in Warwickshire. The staff are amazing and are very helpful.

You are then assigned to a customer who will look at your profile and accept you to be their carer.

All travel expenses are paid for eg. traveling by train to a customers house

Any problems regarding anything with your work you can contact the office phones or you are also given out of hours numbers
Pros
independant
8 December 2017

Hello and thank you for your kind comments. We are really pleased to hear that you are receiving the high standard of support that we expect.

Welcome to the team - it's great to have you on board!

8 December 2017

Welcome to the team - it's great to have you on board!

28 December 2017

It is great to read your review as everyone who works at Helping Hands gives their very best to support the great work that our Carers do supporting vulnerable people in their own homes. Welcome to the team!

Very disappointing....
Live in carer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London5 November 2017
To start off - the training was very well prepared and enjoyable and the people had great knowledge. Thank you :)
The rest unfortunately one big joke! Starting from the guys matching you with jobs to the coordinators and mangers. Very rude and unproffesional approach, no support while on the placement and it takes literally forever to get a reply! It's a real shame that nobody cares about the employees and customers. They all just want to push you on placement so that they can get money and don't care about the rest. Avoid if you can :)
Pros
Pay on time
Cons
Longer hours than they say, pay not that great, false placement information, no support for live in carers.....
28 December 2017

I was very disappointed to read your review as it does not match our usual high standard of support that is offered to our Carers. We have several people who are always on hand to help you including your line manager, regional management, QA and HR teams. Please get it touch with us so that we can understand exactly what the issues were that you faced and make sure that they are fully resolved.

Poor management and communication
Live-in Carer (Current Employee) –  All over the Uk20 September 2017
Management struggles to deal with the smallest requirements/issues raised.
Poorly communicated with the live-in carers.
Pick and choose what and who they reply to.
The job is enjoyable but can be stressful and emotionally challenging.
Pros
Pay and working with the customers
Cons
Management and communication
28 December 2017

I am really sorry to hear that you have experienced issues with some of the requests that you have made for support. We have invested heavily in the number of team members that we have both based at our head office and out in the field to support our customers and carers. If you have issues that aren't being resolved quickly enough please escalate them to the regional management team for your area or to the QA or HR team based at head office. Our carers are incredibly important to us so it is important that we get the service levels right for what you need.
Karen Rayfield, Director of People and Performance

Good place to work but hours are not guaranteed
Hourly Carer (Current Employee) –  Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands15 September 2017
This is a great pace to work and people are really friendly and professional but they are unable to guarantee the hours of working, there is no consistency which makes it difficult to plan your days.
For the short time I have been there I have learned a lot not only about the people I work with but also the customers I visit on a daily basis, and knowing that I am making a difference to people's lives and helping them to live as independently as possible.
good place to work
hourly carer (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk16 August 2017
really enjoyed working for helping hands visiting customers in their homes and helping their day to be a bit better. This including having a chat, assisting with personal care, domestic chores, meals and dinks.
Pros
good pay
Cons
travelling times
Hard work but rewarding.
Live in carer (Former Employee) –  all of the UK26 July 2017
Helping Hands is very contious of people's vulnerability and so they train their staff to a very high standard. most of its workers are live in carers that are trained in health and safety and moving and handling as well as other skills necessary to ensure the comfortable care of a customer.
a typical day at work would be assisting the client out of bed. help with all hygene routines and getting dressed. Make breakfast, prompt medication ,if aplicable and get client comfortable. then do the cleaning up and making of beds and sorting clothes for washing. arrange shopping and other daily meals.
Management is always available to assist in any query one may have.

The hardest part of this job is being away from your own family for weeks at a time but the most enjoyable is that you get to meet such wonderful and interesting people.
Pros
you are able to save money as all your food and water and electrisity is free while living in.
Cons
the long hours one sometimes has to work.
Bad company to work for
Carer (Former Employee) –  farham13 July 2017
I applied for a job there as i wanted night work. It took them three months to even get me any nights as they had none (false advertising) kept asking me to do days. Eventually got me three nights a week for a lovely lady who sadly had to go into a home. After telling me i was on £10 per hour only got paid £6.50 for 150 hours work i had done. When i rang to question this,the manger told me i was silly for not reading my contract.It stated set rate for night work to be discussed with manager only discussion i had was when i joined the company and signed my contract stating the agreed £10 per hour. Bad communication ,Bad management,Bad ethics,False advertising. I no longer work for the company and feel like i have wasted a lot of time doing training which i never got paid for either.
Pros
Cons
always ringing, No work phone, Bad managment
Good company
Carer (Former Employee) –  united Kingdom6 June 2017
Good company, with a good staff.Busy day with a lot of tasks. Helping with personal hygiene and with everything related with the house, food, money and personal life.
The client was tetraplegic, so this was the hardest part. The most enjoyable part was the client is a excellent and amazing person.
Pros
Client
Cons
Salary
Versatile workplace
Live in carer (Former Employee) –  England16 May 2017
For anyone enjoying working with elderly Live-in care work it is the best chance at doing the best possible job, living in customers own home providing them with best possible care. Carers also get the breaks and paid holidays.
Not enough hours
Home Carer (Current Employee) –  Walsall, West Midlands12 April 2017
Nice people to work with but not enough hours and they don't take in the hours that you can and can't do so you have calls at 7am then calls at 9pm. No balance
Pros
Nice managers
Cons
No hours
reliable employer
Live-in Carer (Former Employee) –  around UK11 April 2017
work can be long and challenging but also rewarding, especially if clients and families are nice

good pay

big turn-over in the headoffice, sometimes difficult to speak to

managers also change often, could be tricky to get hold of
Pros
steady pay
Cons
not much support at weekends; favourism in HO
Good training but limited support after training
Live in carer (Current Employee) –  Alcester, Warwickshire23 February 2017
A good training course but unpaid. The calibre of some recruits are quite disappointing. Lack of post training support. Pay is poor for a live in carer. Little thought to placement suitability.
Cons
Lack of organisation at HQ.
The company that doesn't care
Live in carer (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire23 February 2017
Helping Hands, don't think so, more like helping themselves. They don't care about their carers, all they care about is getting in money money money for themselves. Company is a joke.
Pros
Non
Cons
Don't care
caring work place
Carer (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire15 January 2017
Nice relaxed and friendly, home to home care, all individual needs are met to a very high standard. hours are flexible to suit around my home life. generally a good place to work
Pros
meeting new clients
Cons
alot of travelling
Excellent training, plenty of placement opportunities.
Live in carer (Current Employee) –  North West14 November 2016
Having never worked in care, the training I received was excellent, practical and informative. I was worried about my first placement but quickly settled into a routine with support from my colleague at the time. The most enjoyable part of the job is feeling that you are giving something back to society by helping others in need.
Having worked in Human Resource Management before taking early retirement I have to say that this job is the most rewarding I have ever done because I feel I am doing something worthwhile. Furthermore, I certainly feel that I am appreciated by the family I work with, my line manager and even the CEO, who takes the time to email and write to you when have done something worthwhile or raise a suggestion on how we can improve.

This job allows me to work when it suits me, which allows me to enjoy the lifestyle I have created since semi retiring.
Pros
You can work as many weeks as you want to fit in with your lifestyle.
Cons
You are living in with someone so you need to be able to adjust to this.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Helping Hands. Our community is ready to answer.

Helping Hands Reviews by Location