Helping Hands Employee Reviews for Care Assistant

Staff not helpful
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire13 September 2018
I applied and was interviewed and was offered a job. I was told that I would be contacted about training and apply for my DBS. Never heard anything. Rang head office. Emailed local office and asked them to get in touch. Still waiting. I missed out on other interviews because of this company. So annoyed.
Pros
Quick information
Cons
Not answering emails or phone
17 September 2018

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave this review. There are some issues you've raised that concern me and do not sound like our recruitment practices at all - I'd very much like to hear from you if you're able, so I can follow up internally. Please can you email me at daniel.pitman@helpinghands.co.uk, it would be much appreciated.

Dan

Is a good place to work for
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Derby2 July 2018
You work all the time and they are good, you can work as much as you like. The only thing is you are working like 15 hours a day however you only get paid for 9.
17 September 2018

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave a review! Good to hear that you have the flexibility you want whilst working for us. Make sure you raise any concerns you have with your branch manager who can always help.

Postive experince,Good team
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alcester, Warwickshire21 April 2018
I loved working for helping hands the company trained me well for my live in position, I had left due to the long hours and living away from home at the time it wasn't suitable for me, but I would go back if my circumstances change.
Pros
The company pay a food allowance whilst working away
5 June 2018

Hi there, thanks for leaving us a review. I hope that you have the opportunity to come back at some point in the future. If you'd like to get back in contact and potentially return to Helping Hands, feel free to send me an email on daniel.pitman@helpinghands.co.uk.

Dan

Family run business fun and recommended
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lancashire6 March 2018
I enjoyed this family run business and felt every part a huge part of the family, each member of staff was treated with respect and we all bonded well.
The atmosphere was positive and a delight to work for
5 June 2018

Hi there, thanks for this lovely review! We pride ourselves on our family-run culture and want to make sure that every employee feels part of the Helping Hands family right from the word go. I'm delighted that you've had such a great experience.

Good clients
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester1 March 2018
Most enjoyable part of job helping others to get threw there day.
Typical day at work giving clients daily money and making breakfast lunch and dinner basic cleaning around kitchen toilet and front room
Pros
Easy location to get to
Cons
Not enough hours
5 June 2018

Hi there, thanks for leaving this review. Our branches do their best to provide as many hours to carers as possible, so I am disappointed to read that you've not been provided with what you had expected. Hopefully you can revisit Helping Hands in the future.

Dan Pitman
Recruitment Marketing Manager

Loved the clients and that's about it
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  South East15 February 2018
The clients are what made it, I worked with the company for approximately before a month and that's the only bit I enjoyed. I loved getting to know the clients, helping them out and ensuring they had the care and company they deserved. However, as a company they couldn't care less about their staff and it took me no time at all to realise this. If you have a question or concern don't expect a reply - they are less that responsive to their staff and can only be bothered to contact you when they need something. Also, I respect that a job like this comes with travel to meet the needs of the clients however I was expected to travel half hour from home with half hour distance between each call for just only two hours work. Fair enough mileage is paid at 19p per mile but when you're travelling those distances your paying more then you're being paid for your shift. I personally wouldn't recommend it at all.
Pros
Clients all the way; Pay is much better than elsewhere
Cons
Pretty much everything else
rewarding
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham4 January 2018
once you had finished a shift you'd feel rewarded knowing you have done all you can to help your patients. You'd feel appreciated, and each day would be the same
5 June 2018

Hi there, thanks for leaving this review. One of the most rewarding parts of the role is the satisfaction and appreciation you receive making a difference to someone's life. Thank you for the work that you do.

Dan Pitman
Recruitment Marketing Manager

Extremely rewarding
Home Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex12 August 2017
Extremely rewarding, great business management, flexible around my life but involves α huge amount of punctuality as the clients are completely reliant on you.
Pros
Great hourly rates
Cons
Preferably mobile
good
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire9 August 2017
helping hands was good offering temp work around my children growing up I worked with the elderly supporting them in their own homes helped with cleaning cooking went out shopping and some with personal care
Awful management
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire27 June 2017
Warrington branch managed terribly. Not very friendly or have the social skills they exptyou to have as an employee.
Found myself more qualified than them.
Pros
Hourly rate not as bad as some companies
Cons
Awful line managers
Lovely job-Management ok
Home Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands27 April 2017
Lovely job i really enjoyed working here- Management could how ever to with a lot more training.

Staff are very rude. If you have a day off and someone else phones in sick you get bombarded with phone calls. And penalized if you can not do what they are asking you to do.

Other than this great place.
Pros
Getting to help people
Lovely job
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hexham, Northumberland26 April 2017
Lovely clientele. Lovely staff. Normally balance life and work. Great training sessions. Over all if you care for the elderly people it's a great job to have..
Rewarding
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chester, Cheshire21 April 2017
Rewarding job very enjoyable.meeting new people and new situations. Good rate of pay. Working as a team with other staff and carers. Everyday is different and always willing to learn and improve my knowledge. I would recommend this job to many other people.
Pros
Good rate of pay
Cons
Driving /travelling
We can't have a life!!
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stockton on Tees19 May 2016
If you're someone who is a bit of a loner, then this is the perfect job for you, but it isn't a lifestyle I'd recommend, if you're the kind who also likes spending time with friends and family. It's a bit TOO demanding. You can't really live a normal life, if you work for a home care agency. My advice is don't have kids. Because it is demanding enough, and you already have lots of people to take care of, once you become a carer. It isn't for the faint-hearted. It's not like working in a paper shop. It's far more pushy than most other jobs. You won't be able to have a social life. With home care agencies, you have to commit your whole life to them. So really think it over, before you start working for ANY home care agency. Once you join one, it's hard to escape.
Pros
The only pro-Talking to lovely, polite people in their homes
Cons
everything else. I can only take so much. Constantly felt like I had a virus, from all the rushing around.
My day at work
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  all over the South of the UK8 June 2015
A typical day at work I would be awake around 6am, get up, do a few jobs around the house if my customer was still sleeping. Once my customer is awake make them a drink of their choice, breakfast and medication at the correct times. Help them to have a shower / wash if needed, help them to the living room if that is where they wanted to be. Ask if there was anything they wanted, prepare their lunch, medication, dishes, any jobs in between that they ask of me. Prepare dinner. Help customer to bed and settle them. I have learnt how to be a lot more patient, understand the needs of others. Listen 100 percent to what they want or need and understand this. Respect their modesty, religion / beliefs etc. The hardest part of my job so far has been when the customer is upset or angry as they wouldn't allow me to help them with this, so I found it hard to watch them go through that alone. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you get positive feedback from a customer and feel that they appreciate what you do.
Pros
saving money
Cons
very long hours
Not very good at all!
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northampton, ENG1 January 2015
When i started work with helping hands hours and types of bonuses were promised but never followed through with. I placed my available hours and they didnt stick to that. When i had a family emergency or illness they werent very understanding at all. I would be run from 6am to 10pm on some days with no breaks or barely any travel time. I learnt alot about personal care and the way the care industry works however there were some aspects that i didnt agree with. The management/office side of the business was ashambles, they didnt know who was were and what calls they were doing. they would pesture you on your only day off out of a ten day stretch and if you had a problem they didnt seem like they were that bothered to help. Example: If you were running late due to traffic, their attitude was get there when you get there. they never phoned the clients to let them know. Some of my co workers were fantastic however some of them didnt seem to care about the clients and didnt do the job to a high enough standard and all the management could do was have a word with them, yet if i made one simple mistake i would get a really big telling off. There proportions of the disapline wasnt very clear. The hardest oart of the job was dealing with other peoples mistakes. The most enjoyable part was building a raport with the clients
Pros
Meeting and helping new people.
Cons
Long hours, hardly any breaks or days off.
Manual work but fun place to work
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Redditch31 October 2012
Typical day includes helping individuals with day to day tasks such as washing, dressing in the morning, making breakfast. This job is very rewarding as most of the clients are very thankful for my help, and i find this part the most enjoyable part of my job, meeting new people is also enjoyable and i enjoy working alongside other carers, however I mostly work alone.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
hours dotted throughout the day