Helping Hands Employee Reviews

Do not waste your time on this company!
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond upon Thames, Greater London22 October 2018
Honestly you couldn’t make up how poorly run this company is!

The Branch Manager’s behaviour at interview was bizarre! She kept me waiting & kept saying she’d only be one minute numerous times & then kept chit chatting away in front of me & kept me waiting. When she finally interviewed me the interview was slapdash at best but I was offered the job (a zero hours contract with one months notice!) on the spot!

I then had to wait over a month & a half for training which I had to chase up about to see if it was even going ahead. When I turned up at the training venue it was closed & I realised I’d missed a text that had only been sent at 8:30am that day ahead of the 9am training start time to say the trainer was sick & that we would be updated later that day. When later arrived & I hadn’t heard I chased only to be told she hadn’t heard yet. I then got a text after 7pm to say training should be going ahead unless I received another text in the morning to say otherwise!!

Don’t waste your time & energy on this company.

They’re unprofessional & terrible communicators.
Pros
Cons
A scary amount even before you’re out there working for them
Lovely Workplace
Carer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lichfield, Staffordshire4 October 2018
I enjoy working with Helping Hands, The people and families i work with are lovely, the only thing that lets it down is that i do not recieve enough hours in the week.
UnCaring Employer- stay away
Carer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London29 September 2018
Dont waste your time if you value your sanity!! Managers with zero work ethic and/communication skills. Care plans and initial risk plans are incorrect. When you arrive at the client you find nothing to coincide what was discussed with you. No duty of care whatsoever. Such a pity the training team is top notch. You could die at your customer and they wouldnt even realise you are missing! Pathetic
Pros
Super clients
Cons
Nada
Staff not helpful
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire13 September 2018
I applied and was interviewed and was offered a job. I was told that I would be contacted about training and apply for my DBS. Never heard anything. Rang head office. Emailed local office and asked them to get in touch. Still waiting. I missed out on other interviews because of this company. So annoyed.
Pros
Quick information
Cons
Not answering emails or phone
17 September 2018

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave this review. There are some issues you've raised that concern me and do not sound like our recruitment practices at all - I'd very much like to hear from you if you're able, so I can follow up internally. Please can you email me at daniel.pitman@helpinghands.co.uk, it would be much appreciated.

Dan

False advertising and not supportive
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Alcester, Warwickshire3 September 2018
- Experience is needed, while being advertised as no experience needed.
- Only providing work with elderly with dementia. No work with teens or young adults
- Training is obligated, which is normal, but this is in Alcester in the Midlands and they can decide to send you home during anytime of the training week.
- Unfriendly staff
- Have to be at placement 6 out of 12 months
- Not flexible
- No denying placement
- Immediate signing of the contract during training week
Pros
work all over the uk
Cons
read review
not very helpful hands
HCA/Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Alcester, Warwickshire3 September 2018
the training was very good and thorough, I was able to advance my skills and qualifications. however, they were not concerned about ensuring these new skills were put in to practice with their employees and service users. I had many concerns I raised with management but nothing was done about it. I could not continue working with a company that did not hold up it's duty of care.
Pros
good training
Cons
lack of care
17 September 2018

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to write us a review. I'm sorry to hear that your experience with us wasn't what you'd expected, but I'd like to hear more about the issues you've raised. If you can, email me on daniel.pitman@helpinghands.co.uk and I can try to understand more about them if possible.

Fantastic employer
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire14 August 2018
What can I say, just a wonderful company to work for in every way.

The company is on the up in a big way with big ideas for growth.

The management in the company are visible and approachable and all have a caring and sympathetic nature.

Good pay and fair commission with a decent overall package.
Pros
Wonderful caring management
Cons
Head office in Warwickshire !!! also no dental !!!
17 September 2018

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave this review! Great to hear you had such a positive experience with us during your time here.

rewarding Job
Carer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mancherster8 August 2018
I really enjoy the job, Very rewarding, making a difference to peoples lives, however not enough hours and involves a lot of travel from customer to customer and dead time between calls. great training and support given and ongoing.
Pros
rewarding
Cons
travel between calls
17 September 2018

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! Many of our carers find it extremely rewarding to impact peoples lives in such a positive way. Glad to hear you're having such a rewarding experience.

Dan

A waste of space and time
Live in carer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London6 August 2018
This company believe me is not worth applying for especially to do the live in care it’s very unpaid and the placements they send you to are not the placements they tell you about I always found they were always trying to sell the client to the carer
Pros
No pros
Cons
long Hours.very low wage
Is a good place to work for
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Derby2 July 2018
You work all the time and they are good, you can work as much as you like. The only thing is you are working like 15 hours a day however you only get paid for 9.
17 September 2018

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave a review! Good to hear that you have the flexibility you want whilst working for us. Make sure you raise any concerns you have with your branch manager who can always help.

Dan

Want to know more about Helping Hands?

Ask a question
Adventurous and sad.
Live in carer (Former Employee) –  Devon28 June 2018
Very good experience, meet new people and places, hard to work alone, not much personal time or time with family and friends, good for saving money mostly for short periods, anytime leave or holidays with a short notice of at least 3 months, supportive team.
Pros
Money saving from transportation and food in cases.
Cons
No personal life
17 September 2018

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave a review. Glad to hear that you had a good experience with us at Helping Hands. We are as supportive as possible towards our carers and it's great to see that you felt that support in your time with us.

Wishing you all the best,

Too large to manage...
Live in carer (Former Employee) –  Kent2 June 2018
I used to work for HH for approximately 4 years, as a live in carer. I had a manager to support me, I have never met... I have been tricked into very challenging placements for 410£/ week, no food allowance...
If I said NO for a placement because I didn't feel safe with that client the office would ignore me in future and would not give me a placement... Sent updates to management about the clients routine etc and when they offered me the same client 6 months or 1 year later, had to find out that they never updated the clients' profile...
BUT on the good side I have met some fantastic caring humans (carers and family members) and some fantastic clients during this journey of mine.
By the end the care managers were better too, they came to visit the clients more regularly but not all of them ...
5 June 2018

I’m really sorry to hear your experience with us hasn’t been as positive as you’d expected. If you’d like to discuss these issues in a bit more detail, can you please drop me an email when you can, on daniel.pitman@helpinghands.co.uk?

Hopefully speak to you soon,

Full of the Brown Stuff
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Wales3 May 2018
This company must sell double glazing as well, very misleading adverts, you they want certain skills and experiences list it in the advert and not waste my time.
Pros
Cons
full of the brown stuff
5 June 2018

I’m really sorry to hear your experience with us wasn't what you had expected. If you could let us know what was misleading about our adverts, I'd be very grateful. Please feel free to email me on daniel.pitman@helpinghands.co.uk, I'd appreciate the feedback.

Postive experince,Good team
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alcester, Warwickshire21 April 2018
I loved working for helping hands the company trained me well for my live in position, I had left due to the long hours and living away from home at the time it wasn't suitable for me, but I would go back if my circumstances change.
Pros
The company pay a food allowance whilst working away
5 June 2018

Hi there, thanks for leaving us a review. I hope that you have the opportunity to come back at some point in the future. If you'd like to get back in contact and potentially return to Helping Hands, feel free to send me an email on daniel.pitman@helpinghands.co.uk.

Dan

helping hands at a glance
Semi-skilled fitter (Former Employee) –  Ledbury12 April 2018
A nice place to work and the staff are very friendly. Management are happy to help, and any issues or queries you have are dealt with quickly with no hassles.
5 June 2018

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! It's always nice to hear the great feedback from our colleagues.

Thanks
Dan

Avoid at all costs unless you like stress!!
Care Assistant for the Elderly (Former Employee) –  Lancashire6 April 2018
Don't let the attractive hourly rate fool you into thinking this is a decent job. Don't get me wrong, the clients are lovely and they are BY FAR the only good thing about working for this company. It is incredibly rewarding to care for people so they can remain independent in their own homes.
At first you may get a lot of hours offered. This will not be the same every week and unless you can survive on around 8 hours work per week, sometimes spread out as 2 hours in one day, this is not the job for you. Work life balance is atrocious. They will mess around with your rota constantly but then be difficult when you aren't happy with it. They will take hours off you with no notice and then tell you you have to give 4 weeks notice to change your availability....
And then there's the problems with pay, which is always wrong and you're expected to wait a month for them to correct it. Management are terrible at communicating unless they want something from you.
And then there's the mileage! Expected to travel 80+ miles somedays. You don't get paid travelling time. You may have a 12 hour shift and get paid for 6 hours, the other 6 you will be driving. Yes mileage is paid but at 19p a mile it barely covers fuel never mind wear and tear.
All in all, worst few months of my working life. I've never felt so stressed about work. If the customers weren't so lovely and a pleasure to care for the company would have nothing going for it. Don't waste your time applying! There are far better jobs out there!
Pros
Lovely customers good rate of pay
Cons
Terrible work-life balance, poor communication, messed up pay
5 June 2018

I’m really sorry to hear your experience with us hasn’t been as positive as you’d expected. If you’d like to discuss these issues in a bit more detail, can you please drop me an email when you can on daniel.pitman@helpinghands.co.uk?

Speak to you soon,

No longer cares!!!
Manager (Former Employee) –  SOUTH EAST1 April 2018
This company really used to be what it says but sadly it no longer is. Now due to poor senior management and being all being about targets it has lost CARE!!! for both staff and customers. Managers are forced to take on customers even though they know it is unsafe or they are penalised and told they need to improve and meet their targets. The expectations are un realistic and they expect staff to put the company before their own family. Such a shame a wonderful company has been ruined. The vision of the founder has been lost completely.
Pros
Cons
Long hours/no support/too target driven/poor senior management

Speak to you soon,

Love the job itself
Hourly Carer (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire28 March 2018
Currently work for Helping hands, absolutely love my job although sometimes can be very tiring. The customers are fab and I have a set shift plan, even better now we all have CellTrak. Sometimes management let you down as regards to time off and over working us but you get used to it (even though we shouldn’t) training is excellent and you can go to the manager and talk about any issues you may have (personally) sometimes you don’t get enough travel time and pay for mileage needs to be higher. Never have time to eat (great for dieting) or you have 4hr gaps between calls. Overall I love working for helping hands but they need some improvement.
Pros
Support, customers, pay, celltrak, training
Cons
Long hours, not enough travel time, mileage pay needs to be better
5 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review, it's always so lovely to hear the great experiences that our carers have around the business. However, I'm interested in hearing more about the negative aspects of this review to see if there's anything we can do. If you'd like to contact me on daniel.pitman@helpinghands.co.uk, we can discuss in more detail.

Great and flexible workplace
hourly carer (Current Employee) –  Wimbledon12 March 2018
Good management. Great customers. Good salary. I needed a flexible job and they are excellent. very good training. nice people around. the hardest part thez only provide zero hour contract.
5 June 2018

Hi there, thank you for leaving this lovely review! We do our best to provide as many hours to our carers as we possibly can. I hope that you've been able to find the flexible work pattern you require with us. We pride ourselves on our award-winning training too, so it's great to see that this is something you're happy with.

Dan

Family run business fun and recommended
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lancashire6 March 2018
I enjoyed this family run business and felt every part a huge part of the family, each member of staff was treated with respect and we all bonded well.
The atmosphere was positive and a delight to work for
5 June 2018

Hi there, thanks for this lovely review! We pride ourselves on our family-run culture and want to make sure that every employee feels part of the Helping Hands family right from the word go. I'm delighted that you've had such a great experience.

Dan

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Helping Hands. Our community is ready to answer.