Heart of England Mencap

Heart of England Mencap Employee Reviews

United Kingdom4 reviews
Heart of England Mencap no longer represents the organisation I joined many years ago.

The family ethos has all but disappeared - Mencap operates as a charity in name only, with only ‘compliant’ levels of care for many customers - who are merely numbers on a balance sheet, as far as senior management are concerned. Mencap is carried by a brilliant staff team who ensure the smooth running of services day-to-day, sadly let down by an inept and misdirected management team ( the senior members of which, will only been seen on the ground when the local paper turns up for a photo shoot).

On a positive note, training is brilliant (external training providers are generally excellent).

If HofE Mencap was chopped up and senior management restructured, it would return to the organisation it once was (this might also go some way to sorting the staff retention problems that Mencap has faced)

Great customers; lovely staff; very poor management.
Pros
Training; nice staff team; lovely customers
Cons
Poor management; bullying; no ‘HEART’ left in Heart of England Mencap anymore.
I've worked for Heart of England Mencap for over 5 years now.
From my first day I've felt supported and if I had any issues or concerns my manager is always around to support me. When I first started, I shadowed existing staff and their was no pressure to lone work until I was fully trained but also felt confident and ready.

Love working here and very supportive company.
Pros
Doing something worthwhile & making a difference, lots of support if needed, fantastic training
If your face fits place and if it don't then you will have people bully you including management! Not sure who was worse for this the managers, team leaders of staff members.
Errors covered up, definitely have "favourites" staff and residents.

If your face fits your get on well offered extra sleeps and hours.

The training is fantastic, well organised and professional. They provide you meals on duty. You have your own room for sleep duty.

They aren't open to change, staff there have been there a while and they don't like new suggestions or activities. The residents are great and despite issues with staff they do give quality care.
A good organisation who always have plenty of work, very good training and support. Very knowledgeable company based in Stratford Upon Avon I would recommend them
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Heart of England Mencap. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8