HC One Employee Reviews

Not a nice work place
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Preston9 August 2018
I work as a housekeeper for hc one and it is slave labour the pay is terrible and the amount of work you have to do is disgusting. They don’t look after there staff at all and the rate of pay is basic pay not £8,23 If you are poorly and off work they treat you bad you have to book all your holidays for the year as soon as you get your new holiday form it is not a nice place to work for they work you to the bone and don’t get no thanks don’t pay extra for working Saturday and Sunday
Pros
Cons
Poor money hard work
don't work here
Care Assistant (Nights) (Former Employee) –  Bolton, Greater Manchester9 August 2018
i had a shadow shift then they said ok you can do nights i worked here for nearly 2 years loved it at first hated after a bit the home manager is a cow
Pros
nothing
Cons
Would never work for this company again
Senior Care Assistant/Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheshire7 August 2018
I have worked there for 8 months. The management dont seem to care there always short staffed only have full staff when they have inspections. No support at all your just expected to carry on with the day when your running the home in 7/8 staff when should be 11. It's so dangerous. There is progression and most of the staff are fab and work really hard. When you go to head office with issues they tend to stick up for the manager not yourself. STAY AWAY worst company I've ever worker for. There is also not much choice for breakfast it's cereal porridge or beans tomatos on toast and bacon sandwiches which to be honest is more for the staff.Even when to u whistle blow the company denies it. promise u the Best job ever when in fact it was the worst.If your face doesn't fit or you tell management things they don't like may aswell leave as things are made hard for u.
Pros
guaranteed hours
Cons
long hours and no support
Given shifts then given opposite
Well being co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Scotland4 August 2018
Worked here for a few months, got given shifts at interview to then 4 months into the job completely change. The care side is brilliant the care staff where lovely, met lovely people and enjoyed the job very much was a shame to leave, company is terrible letters got ignored and not dealt with wages where never right. Other activities co ordinator was never there communication was ridiculous...
Pros
Cons
Shifts, wages
Dreadful company to work for!!!
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newton Aycliffe29 July 2018
After working in care for 12 years I've never worked for a worse company. Too much paperwork involved not enough time to spend with the residents. Long hours having to pay for meals at one point even if you were on a 12 hour shift. Management didn't seem to care about their staff unless you were in their clique. Always short staffed no incentives at all. Always getting rang on days off. Short notice for training sometimes. Management seem to be more bothered about making money than the residents or staff.
Pros
When you get time to sit and chat to the residents.
Cons
Underpaid overworked
interesting residents
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow28 July 2018
Enjoy providing meals and care to residents within the care home. Organising healthy meals and providing encouragement and guidance for residents to maintain a healthy intake.
Pros
care for residents
Cons
management
bad company to work for
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chandlers Ford, Hampshire28 July 2018
I worked for this company for three days I was denied a lunch break and toilet break I ended up ill and ended up in hospital
I had no training as I was a first time person learning to be a career I was bullied and shouted at for making mistakes I was spoken to rudely also I was accused of accusations that were un true this company needs to be closed down I also witnessed staff shouting at residents and negleticing residents to
Pros
no pros
Cons
bad company
Disgusting company
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, Lincolnshire27 July 2018
This company is by far the worst I've ever worked for.
New staff are patronised and bullied by staff and made to feel stupid because they haven't been there as long. The little training that new staff are given is rubbish, then new staff are expected to know exactly what they're doing on their first day, if they don't then they get called every name under the sun by other staff.
My Rota was always changed last minute without telling me despite them knowing that childcare can only be arranged with notice.
I've witnessed staff swearing and shouting at residents which is sickening, staff also refusing to get 'rude' residents a drink when they ask.

New staff are left alone with agency workers. Agency workers are brought in constantly.

Payroll is also incompetent and aren't interested in dealing with issues. Haven't once been paid properly to the point where I can't pay my rent.

This place made me mentally ill and gave me panic attacks. I deeply regret going to work for this company and advise that you steer clear if you read this.
Pros
Nothing at all.
Cons
Bully staff, Nasty ignorant payroll, don't rectify issues with pay, rubbish training, dont respect the fact that staff have children, minimum wage, more cons than I could type.
Worst ever company
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Durham, Durham22 July 2018
Constantly understaffed to the point that staff are crying before coming to work. Management don’t care about anything but numbers supposed to be person centred care but not enough staff to deliver. No support at all from anyone paperwork is an absolute joke.
Review from a nurse.
Nurse (Former Employee) –  South Yorkshire21 July 2018
I stayed for a short period with this company. It was a learning experience. First of all coming from a nurses perspective the medications were not in blister packs but rather in boxes you have to do a running account every day as you gave out the medication then do a five a day account then also do a medication count with the residents of the day which will also audit care plans etc. There is far more far too much paperwork to be done at this company especially within the cornerstones. Personally I think thanks to panorama investigations into care homes et cetera HC-ONE and now going overkill on paperwork and making sure the job is done correctly unfortunately it’s now gone the other way and you simply cannot keep up. Constant short staffed, nurses are also expected to chip in with personal care therefore the paperwork gets left behind.
For such a big company you cannot type the care plans they all hand written which is these days is an outdated practice and leads to errors.

Money wise in my area. It is the lowest paid for nurses therefore a lot is relied upon agencies covering the shifts. Quite often at my place of work there will be an agency nurse most of the week covering days or nights. As a result this must be costing the company even more money which does not make business sense plus there is no continuity of care.
The company needs to get more competitive with wages with rival companies paying 2 to 3 pound an hour on average more. A simple search on the Internet will confirm this .

Unfortunately as in most cases the biggest does not mean the best
  more... and you will be better at another company and be better thought off. In the end I gave up and left.
There is a national shortage of nurses therefore if the company want to be competitive they have to come up with better ideas.
Pros
Get what’s left after lunches etc. Some great staff. Nursing assistants is a positive move.
Cons
See above. Nursing assistants aren’t accountable like nurses.
Really good place to work.
Carer (Current Employee) –  Penrith, Cumbria18 July 2018
Past manager/company didn’t support the care team. Now we work under a new company and new manager the difference is massive. We are supported and listened to. We do work long hours the pay should be higher but I actually like walking into the home now to do my shifts. We are included in everything and kept updated on the company. I would and have for the first time recommended friends to work here. The manager doesn’t listen to gossip nor takes sides or has favourites. I enjoy being and feeling part of team. Biggest negative apart from the pay is the sick pay or should I say lack of it. I don’t take sick unless I’m seriously poorly but working in a home you pick up bugs all the time. I think it’s so wrong that we get punished in our pay check for being ill especially when it’s at work where we get 99% of our illness
Pros
Free meals great team
Cons
Pay. No sick pay
Good days and bad days.
Head Chef (Former Employee) –  Oldham18 July 2018
each care home is the same, low budget to meet to feed a lot of people. day starts around 7/8 and finished around 4. Great to be your own boss. Extra hours was always available.
Pros
free lunch being chef
Cons
rubbish hours with children
Career
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire17 July 2018
Don't do it you will regret every minute, if I could find another job I'm gone, the staff are so horrible behind your back, put straight in at the deep end as always short staffed.
Most staff are there for the money not the care, majority of the time 2people have to do the same work as 3-4 people . On our 4th manager in the short time I've been there.
It's basically a horrible and depressing company to work for.
Pros
Cons
Long hours. Poor pay. Bitchiness.
Poor all around.
Activities Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  West Midlands8 July 2018
Not a good company. Rubbish pay, no incentives, Horrible uniform, too much paper work. Senior management give No support and are bad mannered. Training is inadequate and easy to scim through online without actually learning anything.
Pros
End of shift and days off
Cons
Uncaring and task orientated
Fun but poor management
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warrington26 June 2018
It seems to be a nice fun workplace because management is so poor you don't get provided with a dinner on a 12 hour shift however all staff are nice and welcoming
Pros
Good break times
Cons
Long hours, no paid dinners
Not nice
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Stockport, Greater Manchester16 June 2018
I worked there as a housekeeper for several weeks and it was more like serving a prison sentence the supervisor was a bully it was no good saying anything to the manager cuz you weren't believed I would never do it ever again
Lovely service users
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hebburn, Tyne and Wear11 June 2018
28 yr in different types of care work, never have I known management so bad as they are at HC One. No care anywhere only what the place looks like to visitors, paperwork is diabolical along with all the training you have to do, Management have their very own personal spy's, & how they talk to ppl is disgusting. Do not work for these.
Pros
Service users
Cons
Long shifts
atrocious in sevenoaks company need new managers.
nurse (Former Employee) –  Sevenoaks, Kent7 June 2018
SEVENOAKS care home diabolical care. cannot RETAIN STAFF. nurses leave quickly as do care staff. terrible managers. haven't a clue what their doing. standards are appalling. short staffed all the time. residents not looked after properly.
whats CQC doing.
Pros
Cons
everything
Total let down
Carer (Former Employee) –  Wednesbury, West Midlands4 June 2018
There were favouritism between staff. No willing to change and bring in new ways of working. Corners cut that led to poor care. Management didn't enforce good practice. All empty promises with career development that never happened. I only lasted 8 weeks. The worst 8 weeks of my career. There's no point working for a company that doesn't value hard-working staff who are passionate about care. To all others it was just a job. Do not apply for big company jobs.
Pros
The residents
Cons
Feeling undervalued
The place I work at is great but the management is diabolical
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Uk4 June 2018
I've been in care just under 2 years and the place I work at is lovely. The care team I work with are brilliant, but under HC one ruling, we are all crumbling from pressure laid on us, to get the home to an acceptable CQC standard. They say if a place is led well, then that place will thrive, but unfortunately not in our case. The management are too quick to criticise the care team when something goes wrong, but when things are a success, they love to take the credit, even when they haven't contributed. I think HC one need to train on people skills, because our management sorely lacks this. The staff are overworked, and underpaid, and the residents suffer as a consequence, as well as the health and well-being of the staff. The love I have for care is being ripped out of me, and I can imagine I may say adiós to HC one in the near future
Pros
The service users, fellow work colleagues, and the fact that a smile on one service users face is worth a million smiles on a million faces
Cons
Management lacking empathy and people skills

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HC One. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6