HC One Employee Reviews

Just don't do it
Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire19 October 2018
HC-one a total joke , the kind care company ?? Not to staff their not!! totally destroyed our home. Give no support for any of the staff . Just pile more and more work onto everyone . their attitude seems to be ...if you don't like it ....leave . do not even consider HC-one!!! The totally uncaring company .
Pros
Cons
Most things
I really enjoy my job and the people I work with
Resourcing Team (Current Employee) –  Darlington, Durham15 October 2018
I have worked at the Support Office for a number of years and have loved every minute.
I have enjoyed my journey with HC-One and have been given many opportunities to support change and growth – the teams I work with now and have worked with before have all been amazing and supportive of each other.
Pros
Doing a role I really enjoy
Cons
Holiday allowances would make a real difference to my family
A very kind company
HR Administrator (Current Employee) –  Darlington, Durham13 October 2018
I have worked at the Darlington Head office for four months, and I love it. I have worked in admin for over 30 years and the ethos of the company, and my team are just great.
Pros
Supportive team
Brilliant Team
Resource Administrator (Current Employee) –  Darlington, Durham12 October 2018
I have worked for this company for a year now and loved it. Management have always been supportive in trying to develop knowledge and skills as well as giving opportunities to further my career. Definitely a Kind Caring Company in my eyes.
Pros
Supportive Team
Cons
Holidays
HC 1 the kind caring company- what a joke
RN (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside6 October 2018
Staff constantly short staffed,number of staff cut by senior managers who look at number of residents not dependacies.As long as the home looks good, staff morale is so bad.Unpaid breaks which are often not able to be taken.In 40 yes of working never have I worked for such a poor company
Pros
Overtime
Cons
No paid breaks, no overtime rate, staff stressed every day
Not so kind company
Senior Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire5 October 2018
HC1 is the most horrendous care company you could imagine. The home where I work was a Bupa home brought by HC1 in December 2017 since then my job has become unmanageable. As we are expected to train in our own time unpaid I am now being paid less than minimum for a senior role within this company neither my manager or my regional manager can authorise a pay increase (apparently) so I'm leaving along with many others but nobody cares we are disposable. The money they waste is ridiculous constantly replacing staff instead of actually looking at the problems. I would not recommend this company to future employees and I certainly wouldn't recommend a family members or friends as a resident, they get nothing for their money ☹️
Pros
Cons
Paid below minimum wage, wages are constantly wrong, staff are bullied, training is unpaid in your own time with no support, constantly short staffed, no power to deal with complaints, constantly short of equipment needed (eg bags & gloves), nobody cares or listens you are left feeling useless and ignored
Fat cats in glass castles. (Shame '0' stars wasn't an option.)
Carer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridgeshire5 October 2018
My home was one of the best in the area - until HC-one bought us out. Within a year we had our staffing levels almost halved with the same amount of high dependancy residents as before. Even simple things like turns cannot physically be completed on time, and yet we are given double the paperwork on top of the normal job.
Every single member of a once stunningly co-operative team have either left or are looking for a new job.
My residents have never been so unhappy and neglected - through the fault of the big wigs policies and proceedures, and not through the fault of any single member of my care team. We have had nurses having to work through 48 hours straight, and rarely a day goes by when one of us isn't sat in the staff room in tears because we simply don't have the facilities to do our jobs the way we want to do them - this being the primary reason we're all leaving. We didn't sign up to be 'carers' only to be forced into neglect.

Training is impossible. It is an on-line system, which can be completed at home in your own time and at your own cost, and often has to be, because we are 'not allowed to work' if our training is not up to date, but as mentioned above, we barely have time to use the toilet (in fact many of us are suffering UTIs for this very reason) let alone sit at a computer for 2 hours to watch a video on 'how to be kind'. (Which HC-one are clearly not. Delusional, yes. Kind, no. Most definitely 100% no.)

Never have I been less valued, more taken for granted and had to deal with more relative complaints on issues we can do nothing about.
Our audits
  more... fail constantly and we are berated for issues we do not have the money or the staff to fix.

Every single person has become painfully aware we are now a business in it for the shareholders - and shareholders, if you are reading this, you should probably sell out pretty fast. Because on ground level we're folding and unless someone gets a clue not a single home will be open this time next year.

I could go on... but please, to anybody thinking of applying, you have got to be truely desperate to even consider this. And if you choose to go ahead, you have my condolences for what is to come...
Pros
it's a job... I suppose...
Cons
Next to no staff, Minimum wage, Unpaid breaks, Constantly fighting upper out-of-home management to get necessary facilities, Building in poor state of repair, Shockingly bad training and training facilities
Keep away from this company at all costs.
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Penrith, Cumbria1 October 2018
They treat their employees so bad it’s heartbreaking to the point I have handed my notice in. They lie to get what they want. They don’t listen. This isn’t a ‘my manager doesn’t support me type of review’ as my manager before she left did support me. We have had so many bad managers and when you finally get an excellent one who won’t stand for any kind of disingenuous people they lie, collude and make her life a living you know what up until the point where she has to leave. I am ashamed of this new company. It will be only a matter of time before it closes down.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Corrupt company.
Great for the Staff, not great for clients
Dining Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh28 September 2018
Environment was very depressing and staff were cliquey often times not following job protocol. The supervisors were sometimes rude and staff unregulated.
Bad place to work
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swallownest26 September 2018
Management is very poor and a bully but gets away with it too many people telling u to do thing differently no breaks given but takes 1 hour off you care plans are a joke management can’t even do them correctly nurses think they are better than you looks down at you it’s always days vs nights not a good place at all
Pros
Great night staff and residents
Cons
Manegement poor and bully
Do not work for this company
Carer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stevenage, Hertfordshire24 September 2018
I worked for this company, As a Carer I do not expect to be told by management, that we have to remember this is a business, when stated it’s a care company, I was told by management no it’s a business. Then to be told residents are only aloud to use 3 pads a day , not once was any of the residents taken out of the unit they were living in , they were got up in the morning & put in front of the Tv for 12 hours , then put to bed , when you are under staffed , your told to just get on with it & not to moan about it , this is after they had a fire in one of the unit & 3 resident died because of it . This company expects their staff to bleed for them & the residents just to pay up , i was a Carer for 19 years & because of this company I am now no longer a Carer . I could not work for a care company that only cares about money & management
Pros
Non
Cons
Every day you work for them is a Con
Awful experience
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough24 September 2018
Care home was not even close to hygiene or safety standards, Staff were awful and management wasnt bothered as long as they got to go home on time. Wouldnt recommend this place of work to anyone
Cons
Don’t do it to yourself.
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire21 September 2018
Seriously, please. If you’re considering this job, don’t. They are unsupportive, insensitive and rude. I have MH issues and they laughed at me for them. I felt broken. Do NOT do it.
Pros
Literally non
Terrible
Unit manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester21 September 2018
Awful management.A company that says kindest care.Kindest profit.They have no respect for care assistants and there role.Terrible pay and working conditions.I wonder why they are constantly advertising for managers,care staff,and many more roles.I worked for this company some time ago.No progression and poor quality food for those old people who pay our wages.Regional managers look down there nose at staff when they do there monthly inspections.Walk around the home as though they own the company.All about profit.There managers can earn up to 13 thousand on the bonus schemes to keep beds filled and meet budgets what a joke.Poor quality poor compliance.They buy more homes and it is all just greed.Give this company a wide birth and keep your self respect.
It's an insult to the Healthcare field
HCA (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne, East Sussex11 September 2018
My experience after two years working for this company is: work for this company will make you sick. They don't care anything else but the profits which is a sarcasm being a healthcare company.

Owned by people don't care employees and residents into their care homes.

No investment in things like renew equipment and old building care homes, they don't invest in one of the most important staff role (HCA) paying them the minimum wage (but they say this is a competitive salary, are you kidding me?).

It's an insult to people believing they will get high quality services whilst the company is under-staffing to save rubbish money, making carers rush around all the time making them impossible spend time with residents, neglecting residents and making mistakes to get the non-written aims the management sets.

Food, is just rubbish, very bad quality, something you don't want to eat in a 12 hours shift.

They will give you plenty hours to work, minimum wage, which will make you sick just to get anything over £1000.00 a month.

This conditions make staff be upset all the time, because management is asking for impossibles (bullying, it's basically bullying what the management does to the staff).
Slave
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear11 September 2018
Nothing changed UNTIL 12 month AND THEN staff started to droop like flies. Constantly short on staff, sickness is horrendous, management only looks after own back does not want to know, only bothered about filling rooms with residents to meet targets.
Office admin just as rude. Other colleagues are nice only nice part of the job is to know you helped a resident.
Pros
Goo temp work as employ anybody
Cons
Underpaid over worked bad management
Awful
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whitley Bay, Tyne and Wear8 September 2018
I worked at a home in Whitley bay. I was Bullied work on top floor. Get no support from manager when I reported this Left and would never work for this company again. NIL STARS
Pros
Cons
Bullies work on top floor, horrible people
productive
Kitchen Assistant/ Chef (Former Employee) –  Cumbernauld7 September 2018
this work place was reat, working with not only people who became close friends to me but working with the elderly and being able to make their days alittle better was very rewarding
Pros
free lunches sometimes
Cons
sometimes long hours
Official response from HC One
14 September 2018

Working in care is a 24/7 operation so from time to time long days are inevitable or the shift pattern might dictate longer hours - this can sometimes work to an advantage . Working within the care industry can be a very rewarding role, such a privilege to make someone's day better!

Head Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Guisborough, North Yorkshire7 September 2018
Over the last couple of months there has been some not nice comments put on about Park House Guisborough. You need to come work here and see that its not the place people are
Commenting about. The most important thing is the residents are looked after brilliantly, and there is some great cares. Management give %100 but that's not good enough for some people. They will work the floor, do night shifts but still not good enough. Entertainment put on for residents is excellent. Head chef does great food always goes the exta mile.Housekeeping team do a brilliant job to keep the home as clean as it is, with cleaning products not that great. So this review on this care home is its excellent place to work.
Pros
Happy place to work
Wallasey
Nursery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wallasey, Merseyside3 September 2018
Work for this company for 7 years.manager unfriendly too faced and picks on certain staff.very clicky in there.if your face doesnt fit you get tteated awfull

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HC One. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6