Here to help

Hays Employee Reviews for Teaching Assistant

Teaching Assistant14 reviews
United Kingdom14 reviews
Good Recruiter
Hays found me lots of temporary jobs in Primary schools. This allowed me to get lots of experience working with children in schools. I have had the opportunity to work in both Keystage 1 and 2.
Life balance and career progress not support
I had never worked in primary setting before and school provided no training at all on how to deliver lessons for me or other temporary staff members. Consultants promised they would communicate with business administration at school to express my needs, for months nothing changed. Consultants changed in my case all the time and it was hard calling round to find who my new consultant was. Didn’t sit well with me at all.
If timesheet error happens with Payroll could take some time to have this sorted, departments are not directly connected. If your looking for mentoring or career coaching, advice and guidance about next steps when contract ends best chances are look else where.
Pros
Ok if you want temporary work. Can help to develop time management skills, setting learning goals with children, and creating schedule for work
Cons
Can’t fully meet your living costs if you live in London, Scope for progress beyond current job position is very low, Hiring company has real obligations towards you for providing training or mentoring, Don’t expect qualified staff to be supportive to your career needs.
great to work with
I enjoyed working with Hays. The managment is very nice, helpful and respectful. The only reason i left was because it is an agency and you will be working in different places which I didnt like it.
Pros
really nice Management
Cons
everyday working in different school
It was progressive
Hays was helpful in securing me jobs that were relevant to my field.
Over time I gained useful experience with Hays and the support was good. My supervisor was always sending me vacancies.
Pros
Useful experience
Cons
Agency work (short term contracts)
Beneficial for short term working
Very easy to join the agency and handle payments and holidays. I was given short term work (a day here and there) very often and in schools close to me, but it was often too short notice.
Pros
quick and easy to get work
Cons
little long term advancement
Lots of fun
I have found Hays very helpful with finding me work on a regular basis. It is good to know that they are always reliable with their work. However the only downside is how last minute everything is as I don't drive so it makes it very awkward for me!!
good workplace
good availability of work
i worked at a good primary school holiday pay was adequate and daily pay was adequate, notice periods were good and communication was positive
Freedom of choice of location and hours
Good company to work for when the work is available. Can always get through to someone in the head office for help. Easy online pay system. Variety of jobs available.
Pros
Weekly pay, choice of hours and workplace.
Cons
Low pay, unable to claim fuel costs unless on payscheme.
Some unreliability issues with having work found.
I like being able to work at different schools however this does lead to job insecurity. There hasn't been any training provided which has not helped my professional development.
Pros
Jobs found for me
Cons
Insecurity
i have really enjoyed meeting new teachers, children and parents through the various contracts i have been given. Working in different areas has given me confidence to drive out of Wolverhampton and everyone i have worked with were very friendly.

i worked in a primary school everyday for 6 weeks in Walsall and enjoyed every aspect of being a Teaching Assistant. I helped the classroom teacher set up activities and made resources, supported children 1-1 and in groups, observed children and wrote them up, helped with planning and interacted in children's play development. The hardest part was leaving the school after 6 weeks.
Pros
Making new friends
Cons
The workload teachers have to undertake
Hays review
I work in a range of settings. I support SEN children in both mainstream and special schools. I have learned to adapt how I support each child to meet their individual needs.

I have a great consultant who briefs me about what to expect when I get to the setting what the child's needs are and what the client expects. Every setting has different expectations.

I like a challenge so I give every assignment I take 100%.

The best part about my role is when children progresses and meets all targets set. It's great when the children you support have progressed greatly from the beginning of term.
Pros
rewarding
Cons
staying over time
placement
The placement that you are given ain't always suitable to what you are experienced too. I have gained all of experience working in many schools and worked with different challenging.
Pros
lots of experience
Cons
salary low
Challenging work
A typical day would consist of being given instructions on what I need to do throughout the day with the children or any other activities that needed to be completed, this could range from reading with the children to preparing activities. I've learned from this experience how to communicate effectively with co-workers and parents, how to handle difficult circumstances and many other skills in the process. The hardest part of the job was that I was unable to stay in one school longer than a week and make that school a permanent place of employment. But the most enjoyable part was that I was able to work as part of a team and be part of activities in the school.
Pros
Working with children, working as part of a team.
Cons
No long term, permanent position
Amazing services
The services you have provided is amazing as you cater for all level experiences.