Here to help: Coronavirus update

Hays Employee Reviews for Teacher

Teacher20 reviews
United Kingdom20 reviews
A professional agency who cares
Hays helped me gain experience in teaching and found my first permanent job. I am happy companies like Hays exist because the opportunities have been amazing.
ok
Work as a supply teacher at schools not actually directly for Hays.
This is done a a wide range of schools across Merseyside including Liverpool and sefton. I teach mathematics from year 7 to year 11 , so very difficult to review working as a Hays employee
Supply teaching is fun but there's varied work amounts
Hays are great at finding as much work as they can but it's very quiet towards holidays so you don't earn anything in these times. Working in a variety of schools is fun and challenging.
Pros
Deals on holidays and some shopping
Cons
No pay when there's no work
A good company to work for
I have had a great time working for Hays, however I do believe the information people within the local offices know should be increased for example to do with wages, holidays befeits etc.
Great company to work for
Regular work with supply teaching. Fun, friendly and helpful staff. Great opportunities to obtain full time job. A variety of jobs suitable for the area you live.
Pros
Regular work
Great company to work for.
Working for Hays involved waiting my the phone in the morning to see if there was any work available for that day. If I got work that day I would arrive at the school and be told everything I needed to know for the day e.g start times, break times, end of day etc.
I then usually have a few minutes (10- 30) to get everything sorted for the first session.Sometimes work would be left by the classes permanent teacher and sometimes I would deliver my own planned lessons. When the children arrived I usually would get them started with a morning activity, reading for example. I would then take the register and get to know the children a bit. I would then teach an English lesson followed by a maths lesson (although this would vary from time to time) during break I quite often would be on duty so I would supervise the children whilst playing. In the afternoon I would teach another lesson or two, something topic related e.g art, history etc.

I've learned many things such as improving my Literacy and Maths skills, how to be more confident and assertive and how to manage my time throughout the day.

The hardest part of the job in going into a new work place everyday and not knowing anybody and the day to day running of the school.

The thing I enjoyed most about this job is seeing children learn new things and see that they enjoying learning and are developing their personalities and skills.
Pros
Rewarding, exciting enjoyable.
Cons
Not guaranteed work, can have weeks off at a time without any pay.
excellent - always match me to schools and get to know each staff very well
Very good agency - they go out to survey schools then decide which member of their staff is best match. Very supportive and get to know their staff very well. Always award good practice - and you want to go the extra mile for them. Full information given about contract and school contact before going in to teach.
Pros
management excellent and notice usually given
Cons
call outs can be short notice at times
good to fit work around you
a call in the morning with something new each day. widening my skills delivering multiple subjects. choosing a job your happy with and turning down work you aren't comfortable with. leaving school with no further responsibility.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Hays?
One of the best agencies around
The hardest part is the unknown aspect of the work. It is sometimes difficult to earn a living when you're not sure when your next days work will be.

However, the staff are amazing and go out of their way to try and get you as much work as possible.
Cons
unpredictable hours/days work
Hays is a very good agency the team are very supportive and listen well to what u require.
Hays is a very good company and the recruitment team are very supportive and listen well to what u require. I have enjoyed working as a supply teacher with them. I have worked with them for a year but need a long term job and need to complete my QTLS to develop my professional career further. Hays cannot help with this as they are a recruitment agency and supply is not secure enough.
Pros
Flexable hours, pick of schools that suit your job spec
Cons
They take a cut of your wage. no security. Holiday pay taken without choice
Average to poor service
Like most agencies the cheaper rate you work for the more work you get. Forget being paid to scale. I have joined many agencies and work for the ones who pay the most. The school budgets have been cut by this government but the agencies then try to cut the teachers salary whilst they continue to charge top rates to schools. Hays are no different. If you are an experienced teacher and want to work for 120 a day you may get some work - not good when you do not get holiday pay! last summer went twelve weeks without work. When asked why they stated I was too expensive! I am sure plenty of work available if you are willing to accept cover supervisor rates of pay!
Pros
one or two nice people work there!
Cons
poor pay, priority to fill posts as cheap as possible!
Fast paced and with great variety
I am working at Hays Education as a supply teacher until I find a suitable position in the IT industry. I enjoy the variation in meeting new people as well as quickly building new relationships on a daily basis in different schools. I also have to think on my feet as often the subject is very different from my IT specialism.
Pros
Marking and planning done for you
Cons
Behaiour problems as unable to set own rules over a period of time
Promise you work, which never happens
When I started I was told there was lots of work and I would be in great demand. So far I have had 1/2 a day work in a position which was not relevant to what I was qualified in, the pay was poor, and where I was sent the staff were unfriendly and were ungrateful for my help. I have since talked to other people registered with Hays who have also had similar problems, and had barely any work. I was really looking forward to working at Hays, but it has been a poor experience unfortunately and I will now be looking at other agencies which have been highly recommended.
Pros
Friendly staff at Hays
Cons
As above
Great supporting agency.
I work through Hays as a supply teacher.
I generally know in advance where I am going and what I am expected to take with me. Hays are very supportive at all times and solve any queries that arise. They are always at hand for support or advice and I have quickly built relationships with many of the staff who work in their offices.
Pros
A great supportive team.
Cons
On supply there is little job security.
Great staff
I enjoy working for Hays as they tailor the work to suit your needs and are extremely accommodating. They are fun, up beat, hard working and all round good to talk to about up and coming work that is available.
Pros
Easy to get hold of
Cons
Can't get a lot of pre booked work
Very flexible and varied role
All schools have a similar timetable so I teach Literacy and Numeracy each morning and then Foundation subjects in the afternoons (including PE, RE and Art)
Pros
Very varied and busy
Cons
Challenging as dealing with a wide range of emotional and intellectual abilities
Good company but not very organised
I usually get a good amount of work but recruitment consultants often make mistakes so everything takes twice as long and can get confusing
Gaining valuable experience and work in a variety of settings.
I have the opportunity to work with children aged 6 months to 11 years, in both nursery and school settings - as a supply Class Teacher, Teaching Assistant or Nursery Assistant.

The hardest part of the job is sometimes getting a call first thing in the morning and then arriving at the place of work with very little time to adjust and get to know your surroundings before beginning the day.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working as part of a different team in a range of settings, getting to work in a variety of schools and working with children of different ages.
Pros
Working in different settings with different people and claiming back my travel expenses.
Cons
Not a steady income and sometimes long times between work placements.
They were able to get me a long term placement. But when this ended struggled to provide any day to day work.
Friendly staff who tried their best.

Having been on a long term placement there was little contact made to chack on how things were progressing.
Pros
able to claim expenses
Cons
piad by an umbrella company who took a fee each week to prpare wage sheet
Hays
I initially received a few offers of work, but they are not consistent.
The daily rate is lower than other agencies

The consultant is friendly enough