Here to help: Coronavirus update

Hays Employee Reviews for Recruitment Consultant

Recruitment Consultant35 reviews
United Kingdom35 reviews
Good place learn recruitment
Fast paced, micro managed, very busy environment, opportunity to advance, high turnover of staff. Large client base. Take on lots of graduates to develop into the hays way of doing things.
Pros
Good place to learn
Cons
Mico management
Horrible and unsupportive
This role was genuinely dreadful, I am a motivated and passionate individual and Hays managed to such the life out of me. I would only suggest this role to someone that Is able to deal with extreme pressure and stress and enjoys working long days
Great company, tough job
A great company, however the role itself has lots of difficulties. It is a very tough role and work life balance is very difficult to maintain as hours are long.
target driven
Sales role in a highly target driven environment. Time management was key.
360 recruitment role, competitive market

Focus on business development calls and KPIs
Great intro into recruitment
Great training and intro into recruitment. If you put in the hours you can be progressed quite far, however most people use Hays as an entry into recruitment then continue careers elswhere
Negative
All employees are cogs in the machine. Unless you are bringing in bog money management don't warm to you. HR department used to kick people out and not get in trouble
Recruitment Consultant
Relationship builder
Great communication skills

Interview and selection processes

Candidate and Client Management

Proactive researcher

Talent Management

Interviewer

It was a busy desk - often managing not only one desk but another desk in 2 different regions, and conducting training miles away.

Job was really interesting and rewarding.
Pros
Great opportunities
Cons
Always travelling
If you value your career in recruitment, don't waste your time.
I was astounded at how poor the processes at Hays are. They are a high volume, low quality agency that forward CVs. Claim to be experts and they are absolutely not, they focus hugely on sales training and teach people nothing about their industry or candidates, people change specialism regularly, the management could not care less about their team and their methods are 15 years behind the best in the industry. Astonishingly they actively discourage efficiency and prefer high input even with the same output, the KPIs are nonsense and barely anyone is motivated, the pay is poor and after a couple of months I was embarrassed to work for them. If you value what you do or your reputation then look elsewhere.
Pros
You can book fake meetings and log fake expenses
Cons
Poor trianing, poor culture, poor management, poor process, poor reputation, not experts and completley unprofessional.
Rewarding but can be long hours and sales incentive related.
Rewarding but can be long hours and sales incentive related. Training was provided and support given to help people get up to speed quickly. Team was supportive.
Pros
Bonus from sales
Cons
Long hours and pressure
Hays Recruitment
Great place for training, very supportive managers willing to share sales techniques and role play. Lovely people working within all offices. Great place for a new recruiter.
Pros
Training
Cons
5 hours of BD a day expected
Good place
Good place to work, lovely people.
Learned a lot of skills.

Not much room for progression. Work hours are terrible and destroy work life balance.
Nice place to work
After graduating University Hays provided me with the opportunity to undertake my first role in recruitment. I worked on my problem solving skills and through excellent support and training honed my time management, interviewing and commnication techniques with customers/clients. Sadly the particlar desk wasn't for me long term, but I worked as part of an excellent team for over 6 months.
Pros
fantastic team, training opportunities and support
No work life balence
I worked 7.30 - 6.30 everyday, nothing I did was enough for the company. I felt everything I did was critisied.

I didn't have proper training as my manager was leaving when I was hired that this made my job very hard.
Work hard, Play hard
A typical day at work is fast paced and very target/kpi driven. Talking to so many professionals, whether it be candidates, clients or colleagues you are always learning/up skilling on the job. There is a large variety of mentoring and management structure, each with the agendas/goals to reach their individual company targets. The culture is very work hard, play hard, and are all about celebrating success. There are regular incentive days often accompanied with fancy dress and very regular social events, whether it'll be in the local bar as a team or regional black tie events. The hardest part of the job staying motivated during quiet, unsuccessful spells because the business model, as well as personal earnings is determined by success. The most enjoyable part of the job is placing a candidate in a job and both the candidate and client are very pleased with the outcome. Often leading to long term work, it provides financial benefit to both you as the consultant and the worker.
Pros
in charge of your own success
Supportive Company
Ideal company if your are just starting out in the recruitment sector. Very supportive organisation who will give you all the tools possible to be a success in recruitment.

A KPI driven company who expect a strong work ethic and a can do attitude.
Pros
Very strong name in the recruitment sector
Cons
Too many KPI's
Excellent training
A fast paced environment, strong attention to detail with training and lots of promotion opportunities, long hours required to be successful but company culture is enjoyable.
Fun Workplace
Great place to work, good atmosphere lots of opportunities to progress within the company. And even abroad if the need takes you to move abroad. Would recommend to anyone
Incredible work environment but very stressful
The most amazing place I have worked. The work environment was great, all colleagues were fantastic. The work itself can be very hard and the lack of work life balance is very stressful, along with a very low salary at he start, which is hard to build up with the low commission structure if you don't have the best start.
Cons
Poor work life balance and salary at the beginning
Its recruitment
Hays is a recruitment agency so you are driven to deliver fees. It is long hours, repetitive work but a good, social culture and people like to enjoy themselves. Can be a little pressured when things aren't going well, but when they are it is great.
Pros
Commission
Cons
Long hours, repetitive.
very strict on timescale
too focused on a close (now money income) - rather than the future and a larger income... felt isolated and pushed out. not a job that i would reccomend in the filed that i was in
Cons
long hours, no work life balance
S*itshow
To give you an idea of how shoddy this company is, to get an insight into what we're dealing with all you need to know is this; their entire business model centres around their workers ability to tell them how many hours the I've worked. Without it no one gets paid. Its literally the cruxt of their exisistance, without they cease to exisist. I've been working for them for months and still, annoyingly, weeks and weeks later after millions of pounds spent, a worker cannot use their mobile site to submit their hours worked. Its a staggering level of incompetence, theyre merely anot outfit designed to get bums on seats, as soon as that's done these people, the company and the technology they use is utterly worthless.
Pros
They get bums on seats
Cons
As soon as that bum is on the seat, they add zero value.