Hastings Direct Management reviews

Very Generous!
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire6 February 2019
A very generous review of HD. A company that bangs on & on about it's precious 4C's and how they like to look after their colleagues. Well, that they do, as long as you keep your mouth wired shut, have zero personality and don't have any opinions to voice. I think that's about sums their ideal employee actually!

Tedius procedures setup to keep every single person from CR to TL working like a robot. New ideas? HA. Don't be so silly, they wouldn't want to implement new ideas to improve productivity and allow a better working envrionment to grow. That would be silly.

Unless you like being condisended and treat like a child, do not bother applying. As for 'future prospects' they're practically non-existent. A number of CR's have been ready to make the next step, as have 'step-up team leaders' but they're simply used as covering scapegoats with false hope.

10/10 typical call centre with no passion to change for the better.
Pros
Can't think of any.
Cons
Long unsociable hours, generic call centre (faslely claiming to be different).
Official response from Hastings Direct
18 February 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We’d welcome the opportunity to learn more about your experience and how we can improve. Please email RecruitmentTeam@hastingsdirect.com

A havent a clue company
Team Manager/ Recruitment (Former Employee) –  Leicester City Centre, Leicestershire19 November 2018
I worked here as a manager and i have never worked in such a disorganised environment. Contact Centre Leaders more worried about gossip and trying to get their own managers to tell them of wrong doing of others.

Too quick to people into disciplinary and listening to idle gossip. i experienced racism from another manager and nothing was done.

Do not look after own staff and quick to bribe people with treats to get them to work. No real incentive and no appreciation.

worse place ever to work
Official response from Hastings Direct
27 November 2018

We value your feedback and are disappointed to learn that your experience working here was not a positive one. Our colleague experience is very important to us and we would welcome the opportunity to discuss further with you so we can fully understand your personal experience.

Please do feel free to get in touch with us at RecruitmentTeam@hastingsdirect.com

Hastings Direct
Renewals Consultant (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire6 June 2018
Hastings Direct has been an amazing place to work for and I feel like there are some amazing opportunities to succeed and flourish.
The environment and staff are very friendly and easy to get along with.
Pros
Great staff, Good hours
great place to work
anonymous (Current Employee) –  Bexhill on Sea, East Sussex6 June 2018
Have been at the company for approaching 18m now. I find the culture great, i work within a good team, and all my dealings with other teams have been good. Friendly work environment where everybody tries to help each other out where possible.

Its a long drive away for me which does effect my work life balance, although the company champions remote working which does mitigate this.

The company are making great efforts to improve mobility internally, and there are opportunities for those who merit it. The company provides good training and development programs to improve their staff.

The management are accessible and supportive.
Cons
office location
An ok place to work a lot of positive but also quite a few negatives.
Claims Advisor (Current Employee) –  Bexhill, East Sussex5 June 2018
A typical day would be you work hard and your manager will review all your stats. You are asked to keep conversation to a minimum and can be told to "Be quiet" if you are involved in conversation.

Pros are you have freedom on how you work and structure your day but you are more controlled as a robot than a working human.

Managers favour the workers whom they get on better with and can work the office system of "Who you Know"

Treatment of women returning from maternity is atrocious and a disgrace.

Positives are the pay is ok for the area but not the industry.

Most enjoyable part are the co workers hardest part is you cannot converse with them during work time.
Pros
Allowed headphones
Cons
Managed like a robot
Love working here!
Customer Representative (Current Employee) –  Bexhill, East Sussex5 June 2018
Working at Hastings Direct means that you're kept busy all day but given good break times and times in-between calls to rest so that it's not too full on. Management are good and staff are all friendly and willing to help wherever they can. People are all welcoming and the workplace culture is inviting. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with customers who, because staff are happy, are also happy.
Pros
Good breaks, nice staff, friendly management
Cons
Evening and weekend hours
Quality Assessor (Current Employee) –  Bexhill on Sea, East Sussex5 June 2018
Having worked at Hastings for years, through management buyouts, international investments and floating on the stock exchange, I can safely say the company is now a fantastic place to work, with many benefits to the job and a good workplace full of familiar faces.
A family business feel from a big company
Customer Representative (Current Employee) –  Collington5 June 2018
The company has grown massively in recent years but still keeps a good community feel. The biggest issue is trying to progress within secondment roles. This really affects job security, because there is a potential to have a substantial pay decrease after a non-specified amount of time. I believe the secondment should be used as a trial period, with the potential for the role to be permanent upon a six month review. The company culture, management structure and general atmosphere is really good however. The share scheme and Hastings rewards are also fantastic for staff.
Pros
Friendly people, cheap coffee, good employee benefits
Cons
too many secondment roles with no possibility for a permanent role.
Relaxed, friendly environment with perks
Telematics Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bexhill on Sea, East Sussex4 June 2018
Supportive staff in a laid back environment. Take advantage of ample free fruit on each floor. Learned about black boxes in vehicles and how they effect policy holders' scores and can encourage safer driving with rewards in the way of cheaper insurance. Management always on hand for support. Fairly priced items in Harry's. Hour lunch gives you time to spend by the sea for 30 minutes if you like to grab some fresh air.
Pros
Free fruit, fairly priced menu items, friendly environment
Cons
Internet a bit slow sometimes
Well paid but negative working environment
Car Insurance Representative (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire1 June 2018
Extremely well paid role with great training, however office atmosphere and culture was very school-like and clear preferential treatment of some members of staff
A good place to work
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Bexhill, East Sussex1 June 2018
My experience with Hastings Direct over the past few years has been positive. It's a very sociable place to work with lots of friendly staff. It feels like the company is moving in the right direction. Having previously worked for a very small company I find that the benefits provided and job security are a huge plus.
Pros
Benefits, social, management
Progress still needed
Retail Operative (Current Employee) –  Bexhill, East Sussex25 May 2018
As a company to work for as a whole Hastings Direct offers a lot of company benefits to all employees which is fantastic and I feel this is quite unique to Hastings direct. The company culture is inclusive and encourages everyone to participate in local causes. One of the hardest parts of the job is not having enough staff so call centre staff can come off the phones to improve overall wellbeing and to attend for 1-1 meetings. Also there can also be issues with office politics which is not just individual to Hastings direct however this is something that can be encountered. Management varies between departments and as Hastings Direct is progressing forward with a modern way of working and operating, this message is difficult to enforce when others have their own ideas and opinions on how things should be done so there can be conflict between the culture the business wants and what individual departments consider worthwhile to work on and aim for.
Pros
Subsidize
Cons
Shift work
Fun working environment, but professional at the same time.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bexhill, East Sussex24 April 2018
I learned a lot working for hastings direct such as time management, this was because I had set goals made by the company about keeping things like hold time and wrap time down, therefore, I really had to take note of what I was doing to ensure I wasn't wasting time. As well as this the biggest skill I've learned is customer communication and problem-solving, this comes from dealing with angry customers that aren't happy about certain aspects of their policies. My job was to ensure that the customer was happy therefore I had to come up with ways to calm the customer and still keep them with the company. This was probably the hardest part of the job but I really enjoyed the challenge.

My manager was by far the best part of working for hastings direct he was not only very professional but knew how to keep us all motivated and happy even when it was very busy.
Pros
Work events are really fun
Cons
Callers can sometimes be rude
good company
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bexhill20 March 2018
although it was very fast paced i enjoyed my experiences there and i mostly enjoyed talking to my customers and building a rapport with hem which helped me get it right with them the first time. the hardest part of the job was when i couldn't help a customer or when there wasn't enough support for me as a call centre agent. but i will admit that i did enjoy working there and never had anything bad to say about the company as a whole as everyone was always happy to help and management was ok but communication wasn't the best, briefings often weren't sent to when they should have been and some briefings we didn't need to know where everywhere.
Pros
team atmosphere
Cons
communication between departments and managers wasn't great
One of the best places I have worked.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands26 February 2018
Working for Hastings Direct was a real pleasure. I had a great team and we helped each other every time. The management team was amazing and helpful as well. In my opinion it was one of the best companies I have worked for.
Pros
training meetings, one-to-one coaching sessions
Colleague focused environment
Customer Renewals Advisor (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire11 February 2018
A typical day at work would involve answering incoming calls from customers wishing to discuss their car, van and motorbike insurance policies.
I have enhanced my communication skills whilst working at Hastings Direct as this is a prevalent aspect of my job role.
Management are friendly.
The workplace culture is focused on team-work, recognising and rewarding colleague achievements and providing excellent customer service.
The hardest part of the job is the repetitive nature involved in answering incoming calls and the lack of variety involved in day-to-day duties.
The most enjoyable part of the job is assisting customers with queries and providing competitive insurance quotes in order to retain customers.
Pros
Recognising and rewarding colleague achievements.
Cons
Repetitive nature of the role and lack of variety involved in day-to-day duties.
Enjoyable place to work
Customer Representative (Current Employee) –  Bexhill5 February 2018
Hastings is an enjoyable place to work.
The environment is lovely with friendly teams and helpful management.
The job on the phones can get repetitive but the teams of people around make the role a lot more enjoyable then it would be if you didn't have them.
There are always opportunity's to get involved with different roles and experiences within the company if you ask and out your name out there.
They have improved shifts so no weekends are scheduled once out of probation for customer service colleagues
Pros
Incentives, people
Cons
being on the phone for lengthy periods of time, repetative
Finance Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bexhill, East Sussex8 January 2018
I worked here for 7 years and progressed through the company and even got various opportunities to get involved in projects. After finishing the projects I was keen to progress onto something fresh so left Hastings Direct to find new opportunities.
Pros
Lunch and hot drinks from costa are cheaper
Cons
Middle management don’t know what’s going on
Terrible place to work
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hastings30 November 2017
Managers have no clue and get paid to go for cigarette breaks
They hire managers with no experience and you have to guide them through everything whilst they get paid double what you do
When you actually need a manager to take a complaint call everyone just passed the buck
Was there for about year and half
Only good thing was pay but even then they would make you take so many calls
If you want your soul to be destroyed then join Hastings direct and they'll guarantee this
A rewarding job but work life balance mismatched
Claims Customer Advised (Current Employee) –  Bexhill, East Sussex2 October 2017
A typical day is a 8 and half hour shift where you are on the phone dealing with customers queries and if possible settling a customers claim if their vehicle is written off.
I have learned to use various systems, learned different communication methods to deal with difficult customers, i have learned to keep to strict timeframes.
Management is mixed some good some not so good.
Hardest part of the job is the recent change in shift pattern where some days you would work 10 hours, then the next day is 4 hours.
The most enjoyable part of the job is dealing with a customer at their lowest point, turning this around and giving customer reassurance is a great feeling. I also enjoyed issuing payments to the customers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hastings Direct. Our community is ready to answer.

Hastings Direct Reviews by Location