Play YouTube video button
Hastings Direct

Hastings Direct Employee Reviews

United Kingdom188 reviews
Featured review
Hastings Direct selected this as a representative review
Great Place To Work
Hastings is fun, fast paced and place with tones of opportunity to progress from role to role, department to department.

I have been working here 10 years now and have enjoyed every minute of it, what truly make Hastings a great place to work is the people you work with.
23 October 2019
Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review! We appreciate hearing about your personal experience and we’re pleased to learn that you enjoyed working for Hastings Direct.
Great at first. Then they get rid of you. Dont waste your time.
This started out great, with many promises for advancement. Then the goal posts get moved. They change the audits and pile on more work. If you are ahead in your work they just give you more. There is no recognition for helping others and when they need to get rid of you management is happy to find anything they can to validate their reasoning even though its clearly unfair and they havent done their investgations correctly. Management is quick to blame an advisor for their failures and you are not allowed to voice your opinion at all in the office as you will be reprimanded for it every time. Oh and upper management seems to be oblivious to bullying and favourtism in the office but the Team Leaders and other advisers most definitely practise it.
1 May 2020
Thank you for your feedback, we’re sorry to hear that you felt this way. So that we can address this, please email us at RecruitmentTeam@hastingsdirect.com
Colleagues are at the heart of Hasting Direct
A truly amazing company to work for. The Leicester centre was a "No expense spared" focus on ergonomics. Frontline colleagues are valued as the "heart beat" of the company. As a leader, I had great pleasure is rewarding my colleagues for their hard work without question. The company executive team is focused on creating an environment and proposition that is simple and straightforward to operate within. The business requires results, but in return you get not only an amazing place to work, a good salary and superb benefits, opportunities to flex your business acumen, a budget to support colleagues development and to show off your inspirational talent.
1 May 2020
An out of control circus
I worked for Hastings Direct almost for 4 years, and it has been rollercoaster of an experience. Firstly I had about 5 managers in my tenure and they all have different attitudes which means you have to change as a team to accommodate them and also if your manager and you don’t get on, tough! You have to deal with it Because there is no support or anyone you can confide in. They boast about mental health but they don’t care, the amount of stress they put on me and how they constantly threaten my job security was a joke. There is no progression if you don’t kiss up to those above you. Your own merit doesn’t help you at all. The place is ran by a group of underage arrogant people
24 April 2020
We are disappointed to learn that your experience working here was not a positive one. We will take your comments on board as we continually review and work to improve our colleague experience. To learn more about your experience and how we can improve. Please email RecruitmentTeam@hastingsdirect.com
enjoable and fun
Very good and open culture - first line risk role.

Encouraged thought and challenge in a positive way. Culture was to help anyone you were able to
Pros
free fruit
Cons
expensive restaurant
24 April 2020
Thanks for your review! We're pleased to hear you’re enjoying your experience at Hastings Direct.
Good place to work.

I started work in August as a claims representative and I have just recently been promoted to a Case Handler in claims. Everyone is very approachable in the workplace and they have good promotion opportunities in the workplace.
10 March 2020
Thanks for your review! Congratulations on your career progression at Hastings Direct. We hope you continue to do well and enjoy your time with us.
Started Well
Starts well, then after 2 years unless your a favourite they engineer you out. As always have source of new cheaper employees. As I applied for other roles more suited to my skills they disappeared, but new staff recruited to fill them.
14 February 2020
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. It would be good to chat further and look at how we can address this, please do email us at RecruitmentTeam@hastingsdirect.com
Do NOT Work There - It’s a Circus!
You’re rarely awarded, and your job security is constantly threatened. Far too many incompetent team leaders and managers. They lack integrity and very dishonest. You are treated unfairly and discriminated against (they boast diversity and equal opportunity - false!). Nepotism and cronyism is the height of their office culture - they will never appreciate or recognise your great worth ethics and performance unless you are a friend or a relative. The office culture is unprofessional and TOXIC. They do NOT respect you. The worst part of it is the managers get away scot free with their underhanded behaviour.
14 February 2020
We value your feedback and are disappointed to learn that your experience working here was not a positive one. Our colleague/candidate experience is very important to us and we would welcome the opportunity to discuss further with you so we can fully understand your personal experience.

Please do feel free to get in touch with us at RecruitmentTeam@hastingsdirect.com
Has Good Points and Bad points
I worked for HD for nearly 8 years.
It changed a lot in that time, some good and some bad.

Pay vastly improved in the time I was there, making it one of the better paying Employers in the area.

I feel the focus shifted as the Company grew and the customer base grew faster than the company could keep up with.

The occasional manager was very good and supportive of the team.
31 January 2020
We appreciate you taking the time to write us a review and we value your feedback. We will take your comments on board as we continually review and work to improve our colleague experience.
productive and fun workplace
sometimes it can get quite busy and you are required to take a lot of calls however it is a friendly environment to work in because everyone is treated with respect. The hardest part of the job is dealing with rude customers, you have to have a lot of patience and tolerance to work within this field
Restless and fun
Inspiring and motivating employer who gives great opportunities to progress and express ideas.

Great location, great people.

Open and engaging management who inspire greatness.
31 January 2020
Thank you for sharing such lovely comments. We hope you continue to enjoy your time with us.
Protracted and unprofessional recruitment process
I applied for several roles at Hastings Direct, was promised a call back for each role, then no response received. I find this company unprofessional in it's recruitment process, feels like amateurs are managing job applications.
14 January 2020
Fun and supportive environment
The company have a very supportive and engaging management style. You don't feel uncomfortable and are supported at every chance by your managers whether you are struggling with workload, hitting stats or wanting to progress further. The office is very fun and there are so many opportunities for team bonding exercises and a lot of in office benefits.
7 January 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review! We appreciate hearing about your personal experience and we’re pleased to learn that you enjoy working for Hastings Direct.
Stressful
Depending on the department you are in, things will be different. Renewals is a big NO NO with all the intensity, and sometimes it feels like you are treated like a child. Sometimes you feel looked down upon.
9 December 2019
Great place to work free tea and coffee in call centre and they are very helpful if you have disabilities . Target driven but that’s ok. Give them à try
9 December 2019
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you’re enjoying your experience here.
C for Colleagues??
Whilst at Hastings Direct I heard a lot about their 4 C's. One of the C's being for colleagues. There is no such thing, at the end of the day you're just a number. There is very little chances of progression. You end up doing a lot more than just your job description and not paid accordingly at all, in fact for what the Claims Department (as a whole) do, they are well underpaid. Very poor management, no sense of care. At times when a senior member of staff is needed there is no one available. Not a good experience at all.
Stepping stone
Works as a great career advancement tool but I personally would not operate and work there permanently. Picked up some great skills and was upskilled to a high level.
29 November 2019
Thanks for your review! If you would like to leave any further feedback please email RecruitmentTeam@hastingsdirect.com
Do not work there
They say they are supportive of mental health and life long illness but they aren’t and they treat you like rubbish.... not supportive at all... not even your team leader will stay the same it changes and they won’t know anything either....

Horrible place to work espcially RENEWALS do not work there
29 November 2019

Everyone wants out of retail
Life at Hastings direct... Every college will advise customers different which causes complaints. If an error is made no-one will work with you to help rather point the blame at you every time. Most people in customer services or renewals are signed off for depression/ stress or anxiety. Do not get into renewals as high targets set yet cannot achieve as the underwriters set the premiums to high and dont give enough discount for agents to use and agents get put on improvement plans for not meeting targets ! . Everyone cutting corners and making everyone job twice as hard. Only good thing about Hastings direct in bexhill was driving home. Insurer services or underwriting are the departments to go for dont bother with retail as it will destroy your soul and your be seeing your GP frequently
29 November 2019
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We take your concerns on board and we will look into how we can improve these areas further to ensure working at Hastings Direct is a positive experience for all. If you would like to provide further feedback or have ideas on how we could better improve these areas please email us at RecruitmentTeam@hastingsdirect.com
Worst place to work
It's like slave camp. You will be over pressured and poorly paid.. you will be exhausted beyond belief and not appreciated .. you will be made to feel like your self worth is 0
Unless you are a female whom is well endowed or a male who is willing to get a brown nose then progression is not happening.. it's a back stabbing environment..
29 November 2019
We value your feedback and are disappointed to learn that your experience working here was not a positive one. Our colleague experience is very important to us and we would welcome the opportunity to discuss further with you so we can fully understand your personal experience.

awful management
managers and team leaders will jut look out for them selves
even when a team leader tells you to do something that is wrong they will blame you and say they never told you to do it, if you report them the managers just ignore you as the team leaders are their mates.
29 November 2019
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We’d welcome the opportunity to learn more about your experience and how we can improve. Please email RecruitmentTeam@hastingsdirect.com
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hastings Direct. Our community is ready to answer.