Harvester

Harvester Employee Reviews for Kitchen Assistant

Kitchen Assistant32 reviews
United Kingdom32 reviews
Great staff and bosses they were very helpful in the jobs I done for them and very friendly. I enjoyed my time there but was a while ago and I would like to get back into the industry to further my career, as I am a hard, honest, well motivated worker with a very good sense of humour and love meeting new people and would like to further my skills and experience.
All the team works together. Food cooked to standard and fast timing. Good training. The manger always good nice to talk to and if you need holiday or important time off it is given.
I worked as a kitchen assistant for about a year then got promoted to a starter chef about 9 months into the job. When I started work as a kitchen assistant they dont tell you what you need to do in the job when you start (like how to clock in and out or how to take holiday pay etc) you are just thrown in. Majoraty of the people there were great to work with but some people there just made the working enviroment stressful and not fun. When I got the promotion to chef I got told that I would get a payrise which did happen but people who were where I use to work as were getting payed more than me (same age and less experience).
no management support, supposed to get rotas 2 weeks in advance, but this can change the day before your shift... expected to work regardless if you've made prior plans
Staff were amazing but always issues between the management and everyone else, kitchen staff were a laugh but they pay as little as possible and don't pay rise ever, I was given constant split shifts so they could give themselves the shifts they want, don't work Christmas as they lie about paying more when they don't. I have however been told it has got better since and the managers have left
Starting my job I didn't get any breaks so I was on my feet for hours, Up to now I am still having issues with my first pay check which I should have gotten weeks ago but I have only gotten half of it. The managers do not care about your personal life or you, they just expect you to work work work.
Cons
Very low pay and no breaks
As for most people, if the staff weren’t your friends this was such an awful job to have however with a good team the days were fun and enjoyable. Management is lazy, deceitful and only adhere to your rights if you know what they are.. the pay is terrible and rarely paid for the hours worked. This is more of a social circle rather than a team if staff and managers; the closer you are to people the better and fairer you’re treated. The hierarchy is broken with those who receive higher pay thinking they are in-charge and management requesting ridiculous things.
Pros
Social circle within work
Cons
Almost everything
The managers are useless, if you’re ill you’re most likely to lose your job. Everyone thinks they’re above you because they earn an extra £1 an hour. I haven’t been paid correctly since I started here, not worth rolling out of bed for.
Pros
Going home
Cons
A normal day would start depending on the time on your router, this day would consist of anything that needed doing. You need to have your eyes open and learn fast as there is no set plan to what is meant to be done each day.

Management can be laid back but when it gets busy they like heads down and everyone to be doing what they are meant to be doing.
Pros
Nice friendly staff
Cons
No set plan to the day
During my time at Harvester Gidea Park, I learned how to deal with pressure and fast paced atmosphere. The most enjoyable part of the job is the friendly colleagues. The workplace culture of Harvester Gidea Park is great and really one of a kind.
Pros
50% discount for emplpoyees on menus
Cons
Not enough staff on weekends
Really great company to work for. Management and co-workers are very friendly and always willing to help. Full training was provided and everyone was very patient. Jobs could sometimes get very repetitive but management were willing to change it up if you ever complained.
Pros
Friendly management, discounts when eating out at any of their pubs.
Cons
No free lunches
I learn how to work quick. The management slightly ok. Hardest job was to do orders and busy hours deliveries. Learned how to make sure food correctly and many other techniques.
fun place to work, management is good, wage is good, kitchen is narrow though so it heats up pretty quick. we get poor quality cuts of meat from the food delivery
You always do something different everyday and not the same job and you will learn about the checking of food temperature's and to know how to make dessert. The Management is really good you can ask them anything, the hardest part is that its a quick environment and you have to be on your feet all of the time and its long and irregular hours. The enjoyable part is that you get to learn new skills.
Pros
Discount off food and drink
Cons
Long, Irregular hours and quick Environment
Moral was always high however social and life outside of work was never took into consideration and fair treatment weren’t always portrayed. They was a clear seperation between the levels off ‘power’ and ‘responsibility ‘ and those lower of the hierarchy in the work place weren’t treated as well.
Pros
Moral high, half price on food.
Cons
No free lunches, short breaks
long working hours during summer, very little, if any notice given if shift changes. extremely high staff turnover due to high pace/ low wage work. no incentive to advance career as low level management salary is very low but general manager salary is very high
Pros
tips
Cons
long hours, unfair shift allocation, poor management
good people to work with, if you enjoy working at a fast pace and under pressure it is very rewarding and if you dont have fixed commitments it will suit you as shifts can change from week to week.
Underpaid - when they actually paid me. 14 hour days, sometimes without a break. The people there were the only reason I liked this job. I wouldnt ever work here again.
Repetitive days.. always the same tasks day in and out. No breaks when on a 8-9 hour shift.. quite boring place to work. Wouldn't recommend for a job

only good point is that the wage wasn't the worst and hours were always there..
The hardest part of the job was receiving eczema all up my arms. A typical day at work was sweaty and long. However the most enjoyable part of the job was the staff were welcoming and friendly.
Pros
close to home
Cons
i was doing a number of roles at the harvester waiting on tables collecting glasses and cleaning tables after customers.