HARTLEPOOL BOROUGH COUNCIL Employee Reviews

fun and interesting
Classroom Assistant (Work Experience) (Current Employee) –  Hartlepool18 October 2017
I attended a three-week placement at West Park primary school, where I dealt with a range of children. I thoroughly enjoyed this placement as I was able to help with the children and be involved in their development. My supervisors were extremely pleased with my progress as I demonstrated professionalism and was aware of, practising confidentiality throughout.
Pros
learning new things
Cons
wasnt any
Productive yet relaxed.
Benefits Officer (Former Employee) –  Hartlepool24 September 2017
I enjoyed my time working for Hartlepool Borough Council. I always found myself motivated to work to the best of my ability despite a lack of targets to achieve. This was in part due to a relaxed atmosphere that trusted staff to complete work. That is not to say the job did not have it's difficulties. There was always a steady stream of work, as well as being understaffed, however I felt that I could always ask for help and given the ability to complete my work.

Management would always try to help you to complete any work to the best of your ability. Any request for extra training was always accepted and I was constantly offered opportunities to further my skills.

One negative that ultimately led to my leaving was that I was only offered fixed term contracts and always felt that budget cuts would eventually effect me. This is an ideal place to work to develop and enjoy work.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere, great colleagues, opportunities to progress
Cons
Majority of opportunities are fixed term contracts
Excellent company to work for
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire9 September 2017
Lots of opportunities to develop and train in order to further your career. Supportive a disaster friendly working environment. Once employment within Hartlepool borough Council is obtained, there is often opportunities that arise within the council that you can apply for. However, English and Maths grade C or above is required for all jobs within this council.
Pros
Training opportunities
Cons
No permanent contracts
Not all Council departments are managed the same way ! Be Warned
Finance Assistant (Current Employee) –  Finance department16 August 2017
This is very much one of those employers where it really depends which department you work in. Working within the Finance bracket there is a history of poor training, non existent personal development and no encouragement whatsoever to advance your learning. There are extremely limited chances of advancements / promotion. It really does depend on who your friends with.
I don`t want this review to sound negative but its pretty hard for it not to be. The flexi time scheme is the one and only positive of working here but you can`t base your enjoyment of a job around that, obviously you need a lot more and that simply does not exist here.
Management are totally geared up to their own jobs and no one else`s, Such are the high levels of workloads placed on staff management do not have any time to carry out personal development for staff whatsoever regardless of the HR section stressing to all Council staff that personal development should be a priority. Its simply not followed up.
However, and this is a big HOWEVER......if you are lucky to work in a non-finance department the difference is huge. Personal development and training are paramount, staff support is excellent.....apparently.
Pros
Flexi time scheme
Cons
Complete lack of personal development or career advancement
Lovely place to work
Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Hartlepool, Durham23 June 2017
productive, lovely people, progression in career available. flexible working available also good holidays, In general a good place to work with so many opportunities.
Pros
flexible working hours
Productive fun work place
Beach Lifeguard Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hartlepool, Durham4 June 2017
Great council to work for and great management that are willing to help out when they can. Learnt so many new skills by working for them and always look forward to coming into work. Always provide enough training or extra training if it's needed.
good
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hartlepool, Durham25 May 2017
good, but hard work and long hours. teaching is hard work at the best of times and the holidays are not what people think...you spend half of your time working in them anyway
Pros
holidays
Cons
long days
future
Housing Services Apprenticeship (Former Employee) –  Hartlepool10 May 2017
This gave me an insight into what i wanted to do as a career. Although jobs in this field are few and far between I am still eager to earn money in this field.
Residential Childcare Worker (Former Employee) –  Exmoor grove28 April 2017
I enjoyed working here staff and young persons relationship with each other were good and communcation amongst staff was always effective.

Great training opportunities
Pros
Free meals on shift
Cons
Very enjoyable, workplace lovely, staff lovely.
Lunchtime Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hartepool31 March 2017
A very safe working place, I worked with primary children so my job was very entertaining, sad to leave will recommend it to anyone who has time to listen.
Pros
Makes u feel good about yourself helping children with their problems
Cons
Very noisey
fast paced
HR Administartor (Former Employee) –  Hartlepool21 March 2017
great people to work for, when you are employed by the coucil its like being part of a family, everyone helps each other and its a joy to go work very helpfull with great benifit fr employees,
Pros
fllexy time available
good
Carer for family member (Former Employee) –  carer8 March 2017
good for sorting my pay on time and quick at sorting any issues I had I worked as a carer for a elderly lady till she pasted away 7 years
fun workplace
Cleaner Operative (Current Employee) –  Hartlepool, Durham20 February 2017
I work in a school,while staff and children are in i clean to keep on top of things ie, freshen toilets,keep entrances clean and tidy mop spillages, clean carpets if n when required and scrub floors using a buffer machine, management are always at the other end of the phone if n when needed, courses that they require u to go on are paid by the eployer also dbs checks too.
Pros
working in home town
Cons
not enough contract hours for cleaners
Enjoyable workplace
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Hartlepool, Durham23 January 2017
During my time there a typical day would include your general administrative duties such as data inputting and filing. My team there enabled me too learn/improve my letter writing, how to communicate with the people in a formal manor and too deal with different computer systems.

Management where terrific, whenever i needed any support they where always willing to help and enabled me too grow as a person and develop my skills. Easily approachable and willing to listen to any new ideas.

The hardest part of the job was really the traveling in which i had to do. The most enjoyable was the fact each day was always different and unpredictable.
Pros
Each day is not the same and management and staff where always willing too help
Cons
Travelling
Dangerous place to work
Residential Social Care Officer (Former Employee) –  Hartlepool17 January 2017
Poor weak egotistical management
Unsafe working environment and practices
Bullying,intimidation and haraassment the norm
No work life balance
Shouted at and sworn at in the workplace
No work life balance
No allowances made for family commitments
Constant harassment via phone and email on your rare days off
Shifts go well over 24 hours
No lunch break
No breaks
Lone working leaves you wide open to assault and allegations
Minimal training and support
Pros
Cons
Assaults by service users not uncommon
Good company with good benifits
Joiner (Current Employee) –  Hartlepool24 October 2016
a typical day of work would involve going down the office for 7.30am and collecting my job sheets for the day, organising the given jobs and then going to collect potential materials that may be required for the day.
Pros
van, tools
Cons
dirty homes
Excellent
Deputy Manager care sector (Current Employee) –  Durham25 July 2016
Great job, excellent training opportunities and job satisfaction. Supporting vulnerable people and making a difference to their lives. Enabling others to reach and maximise their potential.
Pros
Fun place
Ability to gain loads of experience
Relief Leisure Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hartlepool5 June 2016
- Loads of experience gained in many differnet areas
- Feel like part of a team as the council employs so many people in many different roles.
- Great staff. Everyone is extrememly friendy and want to help
- Very varied work days. Never get bored as every day is different
- Great competitive wages
- Well managed
Pros
Time and a half on weekends
Cons
Difficult to get in
friendly people
Grounds Maintenance (Former Employee) –  hartlepool11 April 2016
starting work with good work mates working as part of a team learning new skills working outdoors in a job you like getting on well with the customers and talking to customers
Pros
getting a wage
Cons
hours that suit
Environmental Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Hartlepool22 March 2015
When I was working at Hartlepool Borough Council our daily routine was we had a meeting on the morning to plan where we were going and what we where doing. We would change jobs daily to ensure everyone had a equal chance to do different jobs as they was some cleaner and dirty jobs i.e. litter picking, bin cleaning and sweepers. We all agreed who was doing what and when.
Pros
Was round the corner from where I lived.
Cons
I had to walk alot of miles.