Hartlepool Borough Council

Hartlepool Borough Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom58 reviews
They were good to me in al the years I worked there I am really happy with staff management and made some great friends thankyou very much I left to look after my grandaughter
Good experience enjoyed working in the council. I completed 20 years service and would recommend to other people who are looking for a career in the local authority lots of opportunities
Jobs and advancement are not about what you know but who you know.
Poor utilisation of resources

Poor working conditions and benefits

Poor communication with staff - ie management don’t listen

Unfair treatment and discrimination between staff

Staff allowed to flout procedure and therefore provide a detrimental service to the paying public
day to day management of the 4 man crew, organised and clear procedures to follow. up to date training in all aspects of your role. attended monthly health and safety workshops to help prevent accidents while carrying out your role.
Pros
update training
Cons
basic hours only
this job is hard working but very kind people to work with and get along with.

team is considerate and kind and understanding trying to help alwyas with nay problems.
I thoroughly enjoyed my time as an apprentice at HBC. I have gained a lot of new skills and friendly relationships with all colleagues that I met during my time there.
great job just wish it was permanent with more hours.
casual contact no set or permanent hours each week, can go weeks without work. not a secure income
Drastic changes over the years have made things challenging. Workload has increased and staff have reduced in numbers. Probably all in all a good place to work bearing in mind the credit crunch of the last 10 years.
Pros
flexi working
Cons
over work load
I was on short term contract but was welcomed and was part of the team very quick, I was given support and helped when ever I asked, manager was very understanding.
I learned loads in a short period of time, colleagues very respectful and open to listening to your ideas.

The way I was tret from the first day of my job I was able to feel super confident and believe in my abilities and capabilities
This council are really good with everything they do honestly they really do change peoples life for the better and worse they help people when they are in need
Pros
Help to your needs
Cons
Sometimes are very busy
Horticulture Operative included Cutting grass, hedge cutting, strimming, litter picking and planting and looking after open spaces. I learned how to maintain a bowling green. I didn't find anything much hard about the job as im keen to learn and learn quickly. I gained certificates on how to use machinery safely in a public environment such as a pedestrian mower, strimmer and hedge cutter. I also learned about asbestos awareness and what I should do if I came across it on the job as I dealed with fly tipping during my job also.
I was only a relief, casual worker, but enjoyed the change from my main job. The pay wasn't as good, and hours often got changed or cancelled, which wasn't fair, and sometimes made it not financially worthwhile accepting.
Pros
Enjoyable, and gets you out and about
Cons
Not always financially worthwhile
amazing teamwork.
great hours hard part is doing the job of three people and never feeling like making progress

to many chiefs and not enough indians
Pros
no weekend work
Cons
understaffed/ long hours
I attended a three-week placement at West Park primary school, where I dealt with a range of children. I thoroughly enjoyed this placement as I was able to help with the children and be involved in their development. My supervisors were extremely pleased with my progress as I demonstrated professionalism and was aware of, practising confidentiality throughout.
Pros
learning new things
Cons
wasnt any
I enjoyed my time working for Hartlepool Borough Council. I always found myself motivated to work to the best of my ability despite a lack of targets to achieve. This was in part due to a relaxed atmosphere that trusted staff to complete work. That is not to say the job did not have it's difficulties. There was always a steady stream of work, as well as being understaffed, however I felt that I could always ask for help and given the ability to complete my work.

Management would always try to help you to complete any work to the best of your ability. Any request for extra training was always accepted and I was constantly offered opportunities to further my skills.

One negative that ultimately led to my leaving was that I was only offered fixed term contracts and always felt that budget cuts would eventually effect me. This is an ideal place to work to develop and enjoy work.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere, great colleagues, opportunities to progress
Cons
Majority of opportunities are fixed term contracts
Lots of opportunities to develop and train in order to further your career. Supportive a disaster friendly working environment. Once employment within Hartlepool borough Council is obtained, there is often opportunities that arise within the council that you can apply for. However, English and Maths grade C or above is required for all jobs within this council.
Pros
Training opportunities
Cons
No permanent contracts
This is very much one of those employers where it really depends which department you work in. Working within the Finance bracket there is a history of poor training, non existent personal development and no encouragement whatsoever to advance your learning. There are extremely limited chances of advancements / promotion. It really does depend on who your friends with.
I don`t want this review to sound negative but its pretty hard for it not to be. The flexi time scheme is the one and only positive of working here but you can`t base your enjoyment of a job around that, obviously you need a lot more and that simply does not exist here.

Management are totally geared up to their own jobs and no one else`s, Such are the high levels of workloads placed on staff management do not have any time to carry out personal development for staff whatsoever regardless of the HR section stressing to all Council staff that personal development should be a priority. Its simply not followed up.

However, and this is a big HOWEVER......if you are lucky to work in a non-finance department the difference is huge. Personal development and training are paramount, staff support is excellent.....apparently.
Pros
Flexi time scheme
Cons
Complete lack of personal development or career advancement
productive, lovely people, progression in career available. flexible working available also good holidays, In general a good place to work with so many opportunities.
Pros
flexible working hours
Great council to work for and great management that are willing to help out when they can. Learnt so many new skills by working for them and always look forward to coming into work. Always provide enough training or extra training if it's needed.
good, but hard work and long hours. teaching is hard work at the best of times and the holidays are not what people think...you spend half of your time working in them anyway
Pros
holidays
Cons
long days
This gave me an insight into what i wanted to do as a career. Although jobs in this field are few and far between I am still eager to earn money in this field.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hartlepool Borough Council. Our community is ready to answer.
Hartlepool Borough Council Reviews by Location