Harris + Hoole

Harris + Hoole Employee Reviews

United Kingdom57 reviews
With the right team, working at H+H is incredible. You flow like a well oiled machine and keep spirits up during rushes. Getting to know the regulars is a joy and so is perfecting different styles of latte art.
Incredibly pleasent work envrionment, you'll learn lots of transferable skills. You'll have ample of opportunity to progress within the company whilst receiving ongoing support from the team. Lots of benefits and events to involve yourself in but depedning on location, be prepared to work hard and efficently, you'll deal with lots of customers but you'll know how to make a fantastic coffee by the end. All in All very pleasent.
Pros
Free Drinks, Discounts and scope for development
it was okay, staff are lovely, can be difficult and sometimes a lack of support on the coffee machine which can make it very stressful at times. Good training.
Customer interaction is important in this job and the best part about the job - you get to know regular customers well. The satisfaction of making the perfect cup of coffee for your customers is great.
A lovely company to work for who truly believe in team work with a real customer focus and great product. The training is fantastic, with lots of support from head office.
The hardest part of the job would be the management. Mostly they sit on their buttocks watching you to make sure you are working. What a joke of a company to work for.
Over worked while managers sit on there A**!, Terrrible management, says there food is all fresh which it really isn't! and there pastries are frozen.. which is false advertisment when you state there fresh right?!

Frowned apon if you take a day off, it's like i't's the end of the world and all your fault and the managers can't seem to find any cover.

Massive staff turn over constantly..

Favouritism and bullying within the company.

Also very pretentious company!

I could literally go on and on..
I really loved the company and training in London is amazing but, I was promised that I would have my shift s worked around my children and never happened. I worked hard and never got anything from or for it I was new and filled in for people who wouldn’t have for me which is really disappointing. There is no flexibility for people who have a family’s or other work commitments.
Harris and Hoole are a good company to work for until you reach management level. The pay is atrocious and well below average wage when compared to other brands. The role is hands on and customer/ coffee focused.

There is a lack of support from upper management: who are quite frankly disorganised. Every food/drink launch is delayed and no one ever has a clue what's happening.

It's a great company for progression and everyone has the opportunity to grow- although there are never roles available and you could be expected to work at a higher level without pay.
Pros
Free coffee and Food, Growth opportunities, great coffee culture
Cons
Long hours, No support, Low pay, disorganised organisation, Poor management
Amazing company to work for!! Very good community atmosphere, feels like a family. Good progression throughout the company. Best place I have ever worked for.
Pros
Free lunches on shift. Free barista made drinks whenever you want one. Brilliant staff
Cons
Nice place to work and have a career.
Helpful management

Amazing coffee

Friendly regulars

Free food and drinks on shift

New and clean environment

Helpful team
Pros
free meal on shift
Cons
in tesco
They are great to work for but don't support workers with family that need fixed hours, it's good for a first job or if you have flexibility in your personal life.
Allow Growth within the work place.
Some poor management.

Great culture within the company.

Great with charity.

Great head office staff.

Fun events yearly
A great company to work for with some great benefits to match! An amazing training programme and on going opportunities to grow yourself and gain promotion
Pros
Free coffee, shift meals, good pension scheme, bean box
Cons
Can be long hours
i have learned more about myself working at harris and hoole and found out that i am a much more relaxed person than most of my staff members. the management are great in the store i work in. hardest part of the job is the unsociable hours. typical day at work would involve serving customers, making coffee, restocking sandwiches, cakes, cleaning tables.
Pros
free shift meal, free coffee all day long.
Cons
unsociable hours
Used to be fun to work here but now the company only seems focused on squeezing every drop out of its employees before they drop.
Clever manipulating of salaries to make sure there was barely even and increase after the minimum wage went up.

Harder to achieve your bonus which was the nicest benefit of working here and a strong motivator to do well.

Managers hardly care about staff and are spread so thin they often forget important information, like the hours you can't work, and will then kick up a fuss when you can't do the hours you already said you couldn't do.

There used to be a strong emphasis on the coffee as the brand is "a better coffee" well that's a lie and the coffee will often be coming out tasting disgusting while the manager happily serves it to poor customers too starved of choice to go somewhere else. The only focus is how much money can we make.

Coffee equipment is rotated around stores and often breaks, days will pass before it gets fixed or taken care of, probably because there's 1 person fixing everything for the whole company, expect the repairs to happen during the rush period too.

If you're lucky, you'll find a colleague you can bond with to make the whole ordeal bearable.

Plenty of double standards to go around.
Pros
limitted free drinks
Cons
bad managers, bad company direction, lack of identity
Worked in retail and hospitality before but never felt looked after like I did here.Don't get me wrong, things went go and you can get a call first thing on your day off asking if you can come in to cover but that's the same anywhere else... the thing that's different is that I felt appreciated and was actually thanked for doing it rather than it seeming like an expectation.

Pay is what you'd expect but the team vibe is great, like coming in to work with your mates and there's a real drive towards realising your potential... even if you didn't even know that potential existed! I've learned skills that enable me to be better outside of work as well as make a great cuppa coffee (with fancy latte art) and chat with any randomer off the street.

Great place to work all-in-all with sociable hours (if you can stomach early mornings) that makes me feel at home and like I have a purpose.
Pros
Development, flexibility, team dynamics, great bonus scheme
Cons
Early mornings, can get called for cover, hospitality/retail pay
Harris + Hoole is an enjoyable place to work, surrounded by delicious coffee and peers who love the stuff!

Typical day includes delighting customers and building a rapport, creating yummy coffees with beautiful latte art. Each Hooligan is given thorough barista training in their first week so each coffee is made to the highest specifications for every customer.

Management are growth focused and will support anyone looking to develop within their career with constructive feedback and guidance.

The toughest part of the job is learning to keep up with the customer flow, efficiency is key and early on this can take a little getting used to. The team around you + management are set to support you to find your authentic way to make a perfect coffee in a timely manner to give the customer a premium experience.

Harris + Hoole supports each other like a family
Pros
Fun, Support Network, Free Coffee
Cons
Those that come with hospitality
In this job I was encouraged to be myself, wear my own clothes and they cared about my work/life balance.
Moved up to "pilgrim" where my coffee skills and latte art grew. Loved the job, but I was employed on a part time contract and left because I needed full time hours.
Pros
Free coffee, free lunch, wear own clothes
Cons
Wanted full time hours
I cannot begin to describe the catastrophe of the company. Once a great company with a real feel and great people has turned into a self centred NERO rebrand. In the last year they’ve seen many long standing team members leave and now spiralling out of control. Currently out of 40 stores vaccancies through the roof. Higher up management of the company is flawed, essentially turning this into a newer “specialty” brand but really it’s a Caffè Nero store just named something different. Coffee is roasted in the NERO roastery.

Benefits ? — none that they talk about or mention or they are beyond possible to achieve

Food?, all batch made and frozen and a rip off. All food you can find in Caffè Nero at a cheaper price. Sandwiches are batch made by same supplier, off site. Nothing fresh in this place.

Salary?, everyone is severely underpaid, severely. Paid per hour if Assistant Manager or below and monthly if manager. Some people barely afford rent.

Community Outreach ? — once a core pillar of the company now non existent

Coffee is overpriced and locations are questionable. You’ll see a price increase every 6 months in line with Nero.

Progression? Forget it...there’s no such thing.

Hours ? Don’t let them fool you with 32 hour contracts or 40 hour contracts, breaks are unpaid so you’ll end up working more. Or you’ll be working double days of full 12/13 hours.

Management do not look after you either nor do they have the appreciation for you.

This company simply uses you to get what they want which is more money out of customers, complain when you don’t
 - more...
Pros
There are none!
Cons
Management, Hours, Progression, Food, Ceo, Caffè Nero, Coffee.
The majority of the time was enjoyable depending on who you worked with, however there was a few changes that took place which changed the atmosphere.