Hargreaves Lansdown

Hargreaves Lansdown Employee Reviews

Phone slavery
Helpdesk Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol21 October 2019
Ill paint the picture, cramped conditons, nearly zero natural light, low clostrophobic celings very long days, Hours and hours upon end staring at a computer screen, always talking to customers, stresses you to the max, very pretentious staff and you have to cram far too much information for what the job is worth, breaks arent long enough to recover, and mind-numbing bbboring,
Pros
Leaving
Overworked, underpaid, management appalling
Client Accounts (Former Employee) –  Bristol8 September 2019
Low pay for what work you are expected to do. Zero care for staff welfare or health. Made to feel guilty for being under work stress. Management only care for themselves. Avoid at all costs, worst company I have ever worked for.
Apply at own risk
Client support agent (Former Employee) –  Bristol24 April 2019
Never worked for a company so bad in all my life. Was told it doesn't matter not having any experience within finance but after being offered a job here this appeared to be false. After 3 days of very bad training I had to do a test and obviously after 3 days of appalling training I'm not exactly going to get full marks, the day after I was emailed very unprofessionally being told I had to go to the office asap for a catch up meeting and raised concerns of my progress. The week after I had to get 80% or more on a test or they would terminate my contract, they could clearly see how hard I was trying as I was staying behind voluntarily to learn as much as I could. Straight after I did my test I was called into an isolated room with 2 managers, got told I don't reach their needs and got fired abuse at me, got made to feel like a doormat then got told to get my things and then got escorted out the building in front of everyone which was highly embarrassing and very dramatic. A few days after a few people who I met on the group interview had told me they had also been sacked for not being up to their 'standards' don't know who they think they are tbh, Bristol never fails to surprise me! Wouldn't wish this experience on my worst enemy.
Pros
A Tesco near by and the fact I got sacked
Official response from Hargreaves Lansdown
16 May 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we value feedback and are constantly striving to improve from it. Firstly, I’m sorry to hear that your time at HL didn’t feel like a positive experience.

It sounds as though our training process has evolved considerably since you joined the company. We’ve invested a lot of time over the past year or so, to ensure that HL is a supportive place to work for all employees.
We try to equip our new Helpdesk consultants with the knowledge they will need to succeed in the role. As you mentioned in your review, we do welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, with varying levels of past experience, and we’re aware that digesting this amount of new information can be intense. Because of this, we’ve developed a structured training academy for our new starters, to support them through this process.

During the first couple of weeks at HL, it’s all about welcoming new colleagues to HL, learning in the classroom and listening to calls. At around week 2-4, Helpdesk Consultants are introduced to a test. This is designed to gauge their own knowledge and to see if they’re ready to ‘go solo’ around week 4.

Throughout this process we aim to tailor this, where possible, to suit individual’s needs. I’m sorry that this wasn’t your experience when you joined us. Your feedback has been shared so that we can learn from this and continue to improve our training programmes.

Worst place I have ever worked
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol17 March 2019
Somebody described this place as pretentious and that’s the perfect word. Also add the word robotic. If your face doesn’t fit there’s no chance of succeeding here. The job caused me so much anxiety and shot my self esteem. There was a very sneaky, manipulative culture in my department. Management treat staff like numbers instead of people. There is a lot of sly bullying which is hard to put on record and management aren’t approachable due to a them and us culture. A very demeaning experience and happy I chose to leave.
Pros
Free oxygen
Cons
Shocking - search for less well known companies
Temporary New Business Administrator (Former Employee) –  Lansdown13 February 2019
Was just a temp job for a few months whilst searching for something permanent after moving to Bristol.

Worst place I have ever worked!!! worked in new business operations.

Management is incompetent.

Conflicting aims around productivity and quality of work.

Everyone hates there job

in fighting and bitchyness

loads of people off on stress leave. take that what you will

don't learn anything. just do basic admin and data entry.

You are better off working for a less well know company.

do not take the new business/ admin roles at this company
Pros
9 to 5
Cons
to much to list
zero progression
SIPP Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol10 January 2019
progression is difficult and HL expect you do outperform your position to show willing to be considered for a greater position.........................
Pros
good knowledge and training
Cons
progression - exploitation
Amazing
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol7 January 2019
I want to stay here forever. Great company, great people, great job. All in all the most satisfying role I have had, I will be here a long time. Great career prospects.
Productive and Efficient
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol13 April 2018
Good to work for friendly staff and easy to talk to with problems. Everyone felt like a member of a close knit team and everyone felt they individually had an important role in this team.
Forward thinking company
Web Test Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol27 March 2018
I worked on a short contract as a software tester for part of the companies website, the support team was always helpful and worked quickly to correct any issues.
Pros
up to date software and hardware
Pretentious
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol4 February 2018
Had only an interview with this company.
This lasted 4 hours and was full of pretentious staff that stated it did not matter if you had no financial background however made me feel minuscule, stupid and was very overly pretentious. If your face did not fit they were very rude & judgemental. Disgraceful interview and I would not recommend this company to anyone.
Hard work, long hours
Investment Helpdesk Consultant (Former Employee) –  Anchor Road, Bristol27 December 2017
Plenty of training is provided so that even novices will feel confident discussing investments with clients on the phone. However little direct support is offered if you find spending very long periods on the phone.

A lot is expected of Helpdesk colleagues to maintain industry leading client support.
Pros
Social events
Cons
Long hours, Unsociable
Great job
Client Support Agent (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol27 November 2017
Working for Hargreaves Lansdown was fun and lovely people to work with. The only downside was the working hours. No matter what hour you start you always finish at an unsociable hour.
Cons
Long Hours
Bustling workplace full of opportunity
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol12 July 2017
A busy department with young management. There are a lot of opportunities to switch departments and learn skills to help you in your future career.
Great support for career development an professional qualifications.
More information available at interview
Temporary Client Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol1 June 2017
Great place to work, great location, good team, I would recommend

Wide scope of job opportunities and career progression encouraged.

One of the most progressive financial institutions in the UK.
Do not ever think of working here!!!!
Transfers Business Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bristol27 March 2017
It's the most degrading, disgusting place to work. No one cares about how much you work because you will never be good enough for them. Managers have their favourite people and if you not one of them then you are screwed. Just do yourself a favour and never get involved with this company.
good management
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bristol20 September 2016
very slow career progression, but the management was excellent and extremely understanding.

the work was vert tedious and repetetive
Productive and friendly workplace
Client support agent (Current Employee) –  BS1 5HL3 April 2013
great place to work, everyone is really helpful and informative, theres no such thing as a stupid question and it's really easy to learn on the job
Great Working Environment
SIPP Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Bristol24 January 2013
• I joined the firm late in 2006 as part of a 15 person helpdesk providing information on our own Vantage SIPP, general pensions queries, financial advice, ISA’s and investments. By June 2007 I was promoted to the SIPP Account Manager, contacting leads generated from my colleagues on the helpdesk and converting them into new business; as transfers from existing pension providers and new contributions clients. I acted as a single point of contact for many high value clients who preferred the personal touch from a familiar voice who can answer every question they had, this also included many face to face visits. I was also the point of contact the Head of Pensions and the Director of Pensions used for any regulatory questions they had. In the 4 years I worked as SIPP Account Manager I was able to transfer just over £240 million of existing pensions to the Vantage SIPP including a record £3.6 million transfer for a single client. Management at Hargreaves Lansdown were very motivating when it came to career progression, encouraging myself and my colleagues to further our knowledge by taking financial advisor exams. My hours ranged from a short 8.30am until 5.30pm, to 8am until 7.30pm when business grew and when the need to contact clients in the evening became greater. I was also flexible enough to work a few hours on a Saturday to make the Monday workload lighter.
• Whilst at Hargreaves Lansdown I was able obtain the following qualifications:
CF1 – UK financial services, regulation & ethics
CF2 – Investment and risk
RO3 – Personal Taxation
RO4 – Pensions and retirement planning

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hargreaves Lansdown. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7