Hare & Hounds

Hare & Hounds Employee Reviews

a really nice place
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowland Bridge2 January 2019
unfortunately 20 miles from Kendal, and no buses or trains, just taxis at 20-22 pound/ride...otherwise a great place to work it was, indeed best of 5 or 6 places of similar type in UK am familiar with.
Pros
good free food and accomodation
Cons
Ridiculous shifts and low pay
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Minworth, Warwickshire15 September 2018
Overall the atmosphere was great, meeting new people and building relationships with the regulars made the job worth it but the team work was none existant, management was poor in giving support to their team. Was poor in personal support too. Had to pay for absolutely everything including full price on soft drinks whilst on shift.
Pros
50% off all menu items on shift
Cons
Unsociable hours, low pay, poor management...
Poor place to work they pay under min wage
Chef de Partie (Former Employee) –  Halifax18 July 2018
Low pay and silly long hours 60+ when asked way my wage was so shocking head chef said its till you prove your worth too me (I was clearing 270 for 60+ hours a week at work) and I'm 31 years old... do not take a job there under any circumstances
Pros
Free beer end of shift
Cons
Low pay, long hours, no training in place even tho was stated at start of job.
Hard work as no support from brewery or lease holders
Assistant Manager / Chef (Former Employee) –  Oakengates19 June 2018
I managed all staff on site,dealt with stock when money was actually made available, Kitchen was closed due to EHO visit in which I had to point out Health and Safety issues to them as there were serious issues with the Main fridge, Freezer storage area being used as storage for the lease holders causing problems for the chef(myself) and all other members of staff.
Hardest part of the job was being unable to get the funds required from the lease holders for stock or to complete the list laid out by the EHO.
The best part of the job was the staff and customers I had met over the years as this started as a part time position when worked for the council for a top up in my wages, when the lease holders offered me a live in position as assistant manager I thought I could make a difference to the current situation at the pub which was failing more week by week.
Pros
I used to eat for free
Cons
no support from brewery or lease holders as to the plight of the pub
Setting up & Creative
Head Chef (Former Employee) –  Harrogate, North Yorkshire, UK29 October 2017
Here I was able to set up the Kitchen with the appropriate paperwork, training and systems to put in place.

I also wrote daily specials using local and fresh ingredients focusing on quality, showcasing the quality of the products.

As well as daily specials I wrote monthly menus, bespoke function menus, and seasonal event menus i.e. Christmas....
Pros
Massive scope for creativity
Cons
Long Hours
fun place to work
Waitressing (Current Employee) –  Lowton22 August 2017
i enjoy working there because off the staff
you can go to work and enjoy your shift
i get on with the customers
i like working late nights
i hate my managers
Good food a great family feel
Chef de Partie (Former Employee) –  Manchester3 August 2017
A friendly, close-knit team, good quality pub food and great customers, the Hare and Hounds is the heart and soul of Middleton. Excellent management and hard working team members all support each other and make every day enjoyable. Weekends are incredibly busy and very tiring but hard work is thoroughly appreciated and rewarded.
Pros
Free meals, great team
Wonderful Place To Work
Apprentice Chef (Former Employee) –  Levens, Cumbria4 July 2017
All staff at the Hare and Hounds are friendly and motivated with a real spirit of teamwork and an eagerness to get stuck in. I learned so much by being given responsibility and going in at the deep end as a member of a small team when I first started there. The team and business itself visibly grew in the year and a half I worked there, and I'm incredibly proud to have been a part of it.
Wages and tips were very generous and fairly distributed.
Only downside is the distance I had to travel from my home in Barrow, meaning a long shift in the kitchen was extended with my commute.
The management and kitchen team were very helpful in allowing me to complete my apprenticeship whilst working here and supported me every step of the way.
Temp (Former Employee) –  Erdington, UK8 March 2017
overall, this place of work was ok. The job was always done to the best. However, staff were not very friendly towards new employees and extremely bossy and unwelcoming.
Horrible, and gone bust
Head Waiter (Former Employee) –  Uk29 November 2016
the public house is no longer there as it went bust. when I worked there it was horrible as the mangment would be abusive to the staff. However they were prosecuted for it.