HarbisonWalker International Employee Reviews

Typical corporate america - run away from this place!
QA Tester (Current Employee) –  Oak Hill, OH24 April 2018
Ever since new management has taken over this company, it has went downhill. We aren’t making as much money (as a company), they do not care whatsoever about their employees, and they force you to think this is a great place to work. When I say force I am not exaggerating. You don’t get to have an opinion, if you disagree with anything corporate says you are now considered stupid or you’re next on the cutting board. I wish I was kidding.

They force everyone to say “this is what makes HWI a great place to work” after every meeting. It’s like a cult. It’s not a good place, it used to be. They’re building a new plant down south and shutting down their main plant that actually made the company money with NO EXPLANATIONS TO THE EMPLOYEES WHO WILL BE LOSING THEIR JOB! This plant was open since 1911. They aren’t even receiving a severance package. But yet it’s a great place to work?

They have zero clue about what the plants make or what products we own. All they care about is if things look “pretty” and “new”. It’s a joke.

Horrible training. Then when you mess up they chew you out and make everything your fault. Makes sense, right? I’ve never been so stressed at a job and it’s a shame because the plant itself was the best job I’ve ever had. But typical corporate America ruined it. And this company will not succeed if this corporate leadership still is running it in 2-3 years. Don’t waste your time.

This is not a place to retire. Run far far away. Do not waste your time. I wish I could have seen this review before I accepted this position.
Pros
Plant level - employees are amazing. Decent pay thanks to the UNION! Not corporate.
Cons
Treats their salary employees like garbage, no future, corporate leaders ruined this company
Do not work for HWI
Laborer/Operator (Former Employee) –  South Shore, KY29 October 2017
The union members do not want new employees to be hired. Upper management is uninformed on tge actual production. New hires are repeatedly discriminated against and belittled my management in front of older employees.
Cons
Making HWI a great place to work.....
Supervisor, Production II (Former Employee) –  Vandalia, MO12 October 2017
Lean 6 Sigma was key and was just beginning to take off when I left.
Precision is a key component in the refractories industry. At times changing the culture was a challenge, but one that was being overcome. I enjoyed my co-workers and the hourly group.

A typical day was dirty, hot or cold, and long. However, when seeing the production goals that were met and exceeded, the end of the day became the best part of the day because all challenges had been met and the bar raised for the next days production.
Pros
A great group of people working hard to ensure all tasks were done right the first time
Cons
My department was not climate controlled
Very fast paced and ever changing
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  South Shore, KY22 September 2017
You have to be on your toes and be willing to make decisions on the fly.
You have to be flexable and move from one project to another quickly
You have to be good at dealing with outside vendors and contractors as this is old equipment and very hard to get parts for.
not a bad place to work
Warehouse (Current Employee) –  Pryor Creek, OK4 September 2017
It is a good job i just desire something else. Most of the people work well together. They currently operate on a rotating swing shift, which i find very undesirable.
HWI is a great place to work
Production Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Fulton, MO1 September 2016
I have really enjoyed my career at HarbisonWalker International. HWI is a great place to work and I would recommend this company to anyone.
Great Place to Work
General Ledger Accountant (Current Employee) –  Moon, PA5 March 2016
It is a great place to work. It is challenging and there are many long hours. The culture is changing and it is proving to be difficult for some to adapt to the changes.
Muy dinamico
Servicio Técnico (Current Employee) –  Salinas Victoria, NLE30 January 2016
El ambiente laborar es muy activo, hay excelente comunicación con todos los departamentos, los jefes son muy activos y hay mucha confianza.
Lo mas difícil son los viajes muy largos cuando se extienden en las fechas programadas.
Lo mejor es que te proporcionan coche de la empresa.
Pros
Es una empresa pequeña
Cons
El tiempo en casa
Very satisfied with the Shipping Clerk position I had for 11 years
Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) –  Windham, OH12 October 2015
Good place to work. I learned a lot through my position over my 11 years of employment. I got to learn new things along the way. I also helped out in other areas to find information as needed for customer concerns. Overall, I enjoyed working with the CSR's, traffic, PLS Logistics and last but not least, my coworkers, they were great and I believed we worked well together.
Pros
3 weeks vacation, Nice people to work with, Chicken lunches
Cons
Not much to say.
Productive workplace
Shipping and Receiving (Current Employee) –  Windham, OH12 September 2015
Lacking in local plant management and supervision. Attendance at the local high school and nepotism are big employment requirements.