Hanson UK
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Hanson UK Employee Reviews

United Kingdom26 reviews
There was loads of work about till call center got involved. Now it's not looking good for company drivers. Call center seem to want subby's . Company drivers being pushed out of a job.
Horrible managers, team leaders and overall nasty environment.
Parking is pathetic.

Team leaders and management sit back stabbing staff where others can hear.

Management need to spend less time on a power trip and actually do something.
Pros
Ideal location
Cons
Bad management and parking
The training is formulaic and based on improvised, random work experience of the seniors, unstructured, chaotic. Once certain managers have got it in personally for you, whether because of social convictions, religious beliefs or even their own poor education, there is no chance to survive the training period.
Pros
Good salary, willing company members
Cons
Managers with a power complex
Exciting and great teamwork from governance to new employees, a culture of improvement. A clean safe and tidy environment, which is encouraged and rewarded
Fun, challenging but relax. A day at work involved a team meeting to start with during which each member of the team has to say how he feel before actually starting work using coded words like Green for very good, Amber for not too bad and Red for bad.
Hansens is a very good company to work for you get to do a lot of driving and you get to travel a lot it is a very rewarding company to work for but I just feel at the minute it’s time for me to have a change
The management structure is probably the worst thing about this place and is what makes it fail, they have no feelings for anyone other than themselves. It's very much 'if your face fits' or if you are a yes person you will get anywhere in this company as you can't seem to have your own opinion. The parking is awful as there isn't enough spaces for all the staff at the office so you have to get a park and ride into work, they do encourage car share with certain rules but that means going on a big waiting list as there is only a few spaces for these. So overall do not do it save yourself from working here much better places out there.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Management, parking, how you are treated
Good pay if you work over 70hrs per week ok if you don't want a life or you don't have a life full of snakes and isiot managers that dont have any balls
Pros
Money
Cons
No life
Worked at the Greenhithe depot for 7 days doing agency cover work, superb set up and best of 4 Weighbridges I have worked on so far. Great management and friendly professional staff.
Pros
located near transportation
Cons
Very good place to work. Specially if you are based in Northampton. Plant supervisor really good guy and 2 owner drivers and 2 win drivers. $%%%$$$$$$$$$
Cons
Sometime 13 hours shift . Not often
I was the engineering manager in Charge of some 26 engineers that would be responsible for the pre planned maintenance on the largest quarry for Hanson in the UK?

The quarry would serve 5,5 Million metric tons of crushed aggregates.

I was also in charge of all the projects and contractors on site during my service
Pros
Self Satisfying position
Cons
Little rewards
Since I began working with Hanson, I have found myself much happier in general. It is a brilliant place to work, with great managers, good pay and an overall lovely atmosphere. Colleagues are friendly and are always at hand to help each other when needed. The progression and personal development opportunities that are offered are brilliant. Hanson always engage with their staff force through charity days and other events. This creates a positive atmosphere and encourages colleagues to have fun and get to know each other whilst raising as much money as possible to different charities across the country. Overall, Hanson UK is a great place to work!
Pros
Charity Events
The Training program is very good and gives you a good start for starting the job properly. You do learn more once you start the job as some processes cannot be taught in the training room.

Start at 08:00, Finish at 17:00 Mon - Fri. No weekends for the first time in my life.

Dress down days take place every Friday after payday with all proceeds going to a charitable cause for which, Hanson Price Match whatever is raised.

Great environment to work & very friendly people.
Pros
Free Tea & Coffee
Cons
Rubbish Car Parking spaces
1st time in the industry loving it! People are great and really welcoming. Great atmosphere.Great opportunities to put ideas forward and propose different ways of doing things. Seen a lot of people progress across business lines as well as traditional routes.
Pros
Autonomy, the people, the team work
I have worked for all of the top four companies in this industry and Hanson are by far the best “big” company to work for, it does not compare to small family run companies but as a large company they are the best.

The pay is slightly below average from the other companies however they more than make up for it with development, training and benefits. They have the best contribution pension scheme by a long way, the benefits scheme is also great, you get discounts on pretty much anything you need from groceries to holidays.

The staff for the most part are friendly and the management treat you with respect and a more friendly approach. This is the first time I have worked for a big company where it is not run by silly politics of its management team.

If a good working life is what you are after then come and join Hanson.
Pros
Great managers, flexible, supportive
Cons
Pay is slightly below average from the industry norm.
Worked here for a few weeks. Company showed no compassion and didnt care about anything! Was offered training...The trainer was really nice...Team leaders were nice but the manager who makes a final decision turned out to be a wicked witch with no compassion whatsoever.
Pros
Cons
Racist.
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Hanson, where I was a credit controller in three different areas of the business. Construction, Building Products & Cement. Again learning about all the different products & services offered was a great help when I was speaking to the customers. I wanted them to feel that I knew what I was talking about.
Pros
Great social life, & made many great friends over the years.
Cons
Restructuring & selling off parts of the business.
After 10 years I fancy a change the company is good to work for with but I got tired of work with the same people. I'm very hard working and can put my mind and my hands to most things
Cons
Long hours but that expected in this industry. Good transport management can't say much about shipping but good pay and bonuses and holidays. And new lorry provided when starting
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
A typical day's work was mostly relaxed yet always productive. I learned valuable workplace skills (being a 16 year old) such as communication, urgency and confidentiality - all gained from working in a variety of departments including employee services and invoicing.
Everyone is very friendly and I was accepted as a member of the community instantly. Even though I have connections within the company, I met many new people and there was never any conflict.

However, there is a worry for temporary workers - there is no notice period for 'contract' end. One worker was dismissed instantly with no notice period and no chance to say goodbye.

This aside, on the whole the company is a good company to work for, the office environment is friendly and welcoming yet efficient and productive and I do recommend the company.
Pros
Plenty of parking, good pay
Cons
Little job security for temporary workers
For myself there is no typical day, tasks will vary depending on customers and technical issues in the department. I may be carrying out trial mixes, arranging commercial testing of the concrete we send out, or reviewing documents such as risk assessments.

Although there is an aging workforce, Hanson UK are trying hard to invite younger people into the business and are investing in talent. As part of their LEAD apprenticeship scheme, I am currently studying for a foundation degree in mineral products technology and have completed my SHE level 4 QCF, all of which was paid for by the business.

All of the staff I have met so far are friendly and willing to share their experience and lend a hand if needed. Everyone commits to the zero harm target to keep everyone safe and reduce the number of accidents.

The most enjoyable part of the job is travelling around the country meeting new people and getting the chance to learn all aspects of the business and make suggestions for improvements.
Pros
Excellent pay for an apprenticeship