Hampshire County Council Employee Reviews

Best to avoid
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Hampshire7 November 2017
What a ruthless organisation. Words can not describe how they operate. Far to top heavy with no regard to employees careers or wellbeing. Never seen so many people leave an organisation. The pay may be good but there are NO other beniefts! Discrimination and bullying are an everyday featurein this place! AVOID!!!
Pros
Pay is okay
Cons
No flexibility, discrimination, bullying and stress
Ideal for a mum
Self employed child minder (Former Employee) –  Fareham1 November 2017
This was a great way for me to work from home with my first child. I also understood about book keeping and thought it was a great way for my child to become sociable and learn from any older children i minded. I really enjoyed this job but being self employed was difficult financially.
Pros
Being at home with my child
Cons
self employed
Poor workplace
Senior Project Officer (Current Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire31 October 2017
Poor salary/benefits unless you reach grade G or higher (these opportunities are like gold dust). Job opportunities and progression is given to staff that are liked and not necessarily good at their job.

Managers are poor and cannot manage people, they do not care about their staff.

There is no job security, every two years there are job cuts and most contracts are only offered on a fixed term basis until the next round of savings.

No work life balance, no flexi within certain departments and we have to use annual leave for interviews, hospital appointments etc.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
Hcc
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire6 October 2017
Ok place to work as a first job, just leaving school/college. Would not recommend anyone to stay longer than a couple of years. Management is intense and you are monitored from the second you walk into the building.
Lovely place to work with great management.
Senior Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gosport30 September 2017
This was a very nice place to work, staff morale was good. Not much option for advancement and at times could be quite quiet. The management and work flexibility here was very good.
Worked with a good team
Retired team leader Blue Badge (Former Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire20 September 2017
Now retired so largely irrelevant as the rate of change at HCC is so rapid.
I enjoyed my time working in Winchester with the Blue Badge team
Not so happy when team transferred to Hantsdirect in Fareham.
Would really recommend
Volunteer at Manor Farm (Former Employee) –  Botley16 September 2017
The people were all very friendly and welcoming, no matter who you are you'd fit in. Everyone helped everyone and all staff got along really well, even with volunteers who were only able to do one day a week.
Very boring, but good place to work
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winchester14 September 2017
Good pay, good bonus's lovely people, not my kind of place to work but you can feel very secure in your job! Nice cantine, lovely interior! Right in the town centre
Pros
Lovely people, good location, easy to progress
Cons
Too boring me for me
Lack of management support and dreadful organisation
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Totton, Hampshire8 September 2017
HCC lack of support from managers and high caseloads with no work/balance. No planning in advance and keep changing the rules all the time when they need to justify. The worst organisation I have ever worked for!
Pros
Resignation
Cons
Work/balance; support; training; high caseloads; health impact
School catering (part-time).
Catering Assistant (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Winchester29 August 2017
Job consisted of food preparation, basic cooking, serving children, clearing away and cleaning.

I learned teamwork in a catering environment and food hygiene, also baking biscuits and pastries.

I enjoyed serving the children as demanding, if small, customers.
Pros
Meeting people.
Cons
Hard work in limited time, low pay.
Hard work , rewarding
Special Needs Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hampshire7 August 2017
8 am to 4pm Mon to Fri . No two days same .You have to think and act quickly and adjust your ideas on the hoof! Flexibility. Rewarding.
Good team work and adaptability needed. The work is never over!
Pros
friendly working environment.
Cons
many hours unpaid
a steep learning curve with no induction or support
Duty Officer (Current Employee) –  swanwick lodge3 August 2017
prefer to remain silent about the treatment of staff and lack of support offered when required
made to feel guilty when you have plans that mean you cannot staff the unit when it is short , expectation of work load verses hour in the day unrealistic , no support from management even when asked for directly . staffing ratio to low for the types of young people that ate resident at swanwick lodge so unable to do activities or keep young people entertained throughout the day .
Pros
good staff team
Cons
long hours expected to cover rota when really short staffed
Facilidad de promoción
Trabajadora Social con menores (Former Employee) –  Totton, Southampton (Hampshire)28 July 2017
Facilidad de promoción en el puesto de trabajo. Compañerismo y ambiente de trabajo positivo.
Elevado número de casos por trabajador que dificulta la elaboración del trabajo. Se excede el número de horas trabajadas por semana lo que implica una sobrecarga emocional y cansancio físico.
En pocas ocasiones se sale a la hora fijada puesto que hay emergencias que cubrir y falta de personal.
Pros
La gasolina está incluida en salario
Cons
Nunca sabes cuándo vas a tener una emergencia o a qué hora regresarás a casa, El almuerzo suele ser delante del ordenador, Descontento entre el personal laboral
challenging and supportive
Temp (Former Employee) –  Hampshire22 July 2017
This was my first taste at working. I worked as soon as I finished school in July up until the end of August when I started college. The people were very supportive and made you feel welcome. I found some of the tasks challenging and this helped me build my skills with working with data bases and with different programmes. I had to work to deadlines and this kept me on my feet and I really enjoy being busy.
A professional and fun place to work
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Aldershot, Hampshire5 July 2017
Runways End is a professional company that prides itself in the excellent service it provides. It gives the opportunity to learn and gain new knowledge while carrying out a daily role.
Monotonous Workplace
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winchester4 July 2017
Data entry - Dealing with contracts from multiple suppliers across the county
Initially learned a variety of systems in regards to the work at hand
Management - friendly, but did not unite the team, nor drive anyone forward to progress
Workplace - Quiet, friendly, uninspired
Difficult customers - issues with our systems matching orders
Enjoyable - flexible working hours
Pros
Flexible working hours, good cafe on site, overall friendly staff
Cons
Poor systems, average and uninspiring management, no further learning or progression to the job role
Enjoyable work experience
School Crossing Warden (Former Employee) –  Farnborough, Hampshire29 June 2017
Relaxed and very enjoyable meeting the parents and children every day, feel good factor most people know my first name as well as myself knowing there's.
Pros
Making sure everyone crosses safetly
Cons
Speeding drivers well above the safe speed for the road.
Great working for this council
Learning Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Farnborough, Hampshire10 June 2017
I currently work for this council, at a special needs school. As its term time this suits my family needs. Salary could be better, to keep up with the cost of living. Certain allowances would be appreciated as well.
Cons
Term time
Ever Changing but enjoyable
Senior Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fareham, Hampshire7 June 2017
Within my section of HCC there was never a dull moment and each day was unpredictable.
I learnt a lot about law and enforcement within the job things i never knew existed until my employment here.
To begin with workplace culture was lovely almost a second family but as i said in the title my workplace became an ever changing environment and with the managers having the highest power over how changes were to be implemented each year. The workplace became a shadow of what it was. Pardon the pun but there are too many Chiefs and not enough Indians within the workplace. Yet the processes within the workplace and workloads officers are to manage remain the same if not more demanding.
Pros
Never a Dull Moment
Cons
Not staffed sufficiently to get job done
Good experience
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire25 May 2017
good experience but you need to be ready to work in the public sector( things tend to happen very differently ) ............................................................
Pros
Flexibility/Pay
Cons
Highly Political

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hampshire County Council. Our community is ready to answer.