Hampshire County Council Employee Reviews

HC3S. Not great.
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire10 October 2018
Pros. Job fits in well with family life. Uniform provided. Training provided.

Cons. Not enough time to do all the work. Unit often left unclean. Health and safety overlooked. Food not prepared with care and attention. Miserable atmosphere. Unit manager overworked which filtered down to staff making her unkind and didn't ever praise staff's efforts or make them feel valued. District manager rarely around and not long enough to deal with issues.
Interesting and varied workplace.
Learning support assistant (Current Employee) –  Gosport26 September 2018
Fun and enjoyable place to work. Have worked in many roles under Hampshire county council and have found them very supportive. HR are very quick to respond and lots of training has been provided to me over the years.
Good flexible working
trainee asbestos surveyor (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire19 September 2018
A great place to work, with a hard-working team who are not only supportive colleagues but also great teachers, assisting in helping individuals to achieve the relevant surveying qualifications.
Hard work, but enjoyable
Catering Assistant Locks Heath Infant School (Former Employee) –  Locks Heath9 September 2018
Job hours work well for me due to family commitments. All the staff there are friendly and helpful.

I have a varied routine of work, and have to strictly keep to a tight schedule.
Not for me anymore
Residential Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Basingstoke31 August 2018
I wanted to work for Hampshire County Council for years, and when i finally got a accepted to work in Respite Unit for Hampshire i was voer the moon, but sadly after nearly two years the job i felt was not what i wanted it to be. Sadly i thought it would open up many doors for me, but to my dismay it closed so many doors and now i feel trapped and disheartened by what i do.

I have fallen out of love with care work and now it is time for me to move on and try something else.

Thanks Hampshire but no Thanks
Pros
Good pay, good benefits, lovely pension scheme
Cons
Horrible management, negative atmosphere and rubbish hours.
AMHP - Social Work
AMHP Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Hampshire County Council27 August 2018
Employed as a social worker AMHP. Absolutely a county council who I would never dream of ever working again. Inexperienced managers in social work with a limited understanding of social work principles and legislation. Managers would undermine decisions, display cavalier attitude, are conservative with the truth, poor support and lack of interpersonal skills with joining counties/local authorities.

Most of the AMHP managers were promoted through the passage of time rather having the necessary skill set to move services forward. Favouritism displayed in an overt manner, the directorate level would endorse poor management skills of their front line managers rather than deal with the issues of poor services for mental and physical health service users.

There are always AMHP and social work positions available at Hampshire County Council. Retention is not a buzzword at Hampshire. If you want a short career in social work than this is a place to go to!
Pros
Winchester is good to visit
Cons
Death sentence for a short career in social work.
A very large organisation constantly changing.
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire22 August 2018
I strongly support the Ethos and values of Hampshire County Council and appreciate the extensive and comprehensive training I had access to.

I feel I had five wonderful years as a valued member of the Waste and Resource Management Team (no longer in existence), and a few good positions thereafter.

I do sadly believe that the current economic situation has led to extreme staff cuts, leading to excessive workloads and responsibility, as well as constant restructuring, leading to job insecurity and role change without consultation.
This leaves one feeling that there is not the time or resources to do the job properly.
Probably the most affected area for staff, though, is the loss of experienced managers through voluntary redundancy and the ensuing poor management has affected staff morale and team spirit.

I really loved the job I had for the last three years, in spite of it being high responsibility and high volume, it was varied and interesting and I had good relationships with customers and suppliers.

My decision to leave HCC was not taken lightly but another role restructure, enabling the further increase of my workload while dropping my grade and therefore my salary, led me to rethink how I wanted to spend my next ten working years.
Pros
good training and infrastructure
Cons
poor management and excessive workload
Good employer
Information Officer (Former Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire2 August 2018
Good employer, but suffering from the government imposed cuts to funding since the financial crisis of 2007. Very good people but managers not always fully aware of team activities
Working closely with social workers who look after vulnerable children
Senior Administrating Officer (FTC) (Former Employee) –  Andover, Hampshire26 July 2018
A typical day would be to find out what takes priority on typing up statements after social workers visits. I learnt that the social workers work very very hard to protect these vulnerable children. Management were very fair and again were under a lot of pressure. All the people I worked with on the floor were lovely even though they would be stressed, it was about being listened to. The hardest part of the job was that some things you saw where very upsetting but the other side of the coin is that you know that the child has a safe place to sleep at night.
Pros
Lovely homemade food canteen
Cons
Understaffed with Managers who have had no management skills training
Senior Adminstration Officer (Current Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire8 July 2018
My experience of working with Hampshire county council was a real eye opener. I previously worked in the private sector where every process is fine tuned and written into a bible for all staff to work to. So I expected the council to be equal in its efficiency especially as they are spending council tax payers money. I was shocked at the out of date processes and procedures which means that staff spend far too long on tasks that could be completed quickly if only they had the correct technology and processes were assessed in light of new technology being available. There is no testing of staff to see if their current knowledge of basic software such as Microsoft word and outlook is adequate and no training has been offered to me for this. Perhaps this is because the council are still using Microsoft office 2003. I was not even shown how to use the phone.

I also was put into a job role with only generic training that doesn't really relate to the team I'm working in and to find that the way the processes are documented are sketchy at best. I have spent weeks trying to do the job of three people with very little support and even staff who have previously worked in my team say that don't really know how to do most of the tasks as one particular team member always does that job. For me this is a big no no. There should always be more than one person who knows how to a task. This has become apparent now that the person who knows how to these tasks has been absent from work for several weeks and these tasks are not completed in a timely manner because of lack of knowledge.
  more...

I rarely see my manager and was not issued with a training plan until I had Been working for over 3 months. The HCC guidelines say that staff should have supervision once a month but I have yet to have one that is in private where I could talk about my personal development. My manager usually only makes contact if there is a problem. I get no positive feedback. I have no problem with being managed remotely because this is the way I am used to being managed. What I find I acceptable is the lack of contact and support, guidance, coaching and mentoring. I do not think that there is much thought into personal progression from management.

Staff are stressed because high turnover of staff means that there are always staff shortages and management expect people to pick up the slack and still do their job. The high turnover of staff is usually because of lack of training and unrealistic expectations about our workload....it is a vicious circle. Staff leave because of lack of staff which causes the lack of staff.

All in all, based on 30 years working experience in variety of sectors, this is the worst employer I have worked for.
Pros
Excellent pension contributions from employer
Cons
No organisation, inferior processes, inadequate training, no managerial support.
Productive and Helpful
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winchester4 July 2018
I enjoyed my work experience at the Hampshire County Council as it game me an insight of what working was like and made me realise that it was an enjoyable thing to do. I like to keep busy.
Pros
1 hour lunch break and good hours
Independent, team work
Cleaning Operative (Former Employee) –  Lyndhurst, Hampshire2 July 2018
Basic cleaning of the offices and facilities. Working as part of a team and independently, to clean effectively and efficiently throughout the complex.
Great company
Class Teacher Year 6 (Current Employee) –  Alton, Hampshire28 June 2018
great company to work for. Assessment is tedious and time consuming though. Great pension. Easy to speak to HR and they solve things quickly and easily
always short with stuff
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Yateley, Hampshire22 June 2018
For two hours you are pushed to work as if you were working for five hours, they want to use u to the maximum in only two hours,no employee rotation when it comes to the daily mounting, laying the chairs and lifting, those who are good with management are spared from lifting, u will wach them they only do easy jobs and push u every day in rubbish jobs,
Pros
children, serving to children is blessing
Cons
lifting 20 tables and over 100 chairs every day
Boring work, fun co-workers.
Casework Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winchester13 June 2018
Typical day started by checking emails, looking for replies to emails sent the previous day. Start creating new letters and emails for parents of children with EHCPs, fix problems in the data entry system.

Management was very helpful and friendly, and did not put pressure on me.

Hardest part was the repetitive nature of the work and it did not challenge me, most enjoyable was interacting with co-workers.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
Repetitive work
Need to value staff more
Manager (Current Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire12 June 2018
Totally depends on your team as to whether you'll love or hate your job!
Expect long hours and no reward, but work alongside some great dedicated people.
caring and productive
Healthcare assistant (Current Employee) –  Havant24 April 2018
Caring environment, not only for the residents, but for staff too. Friendly and supportive management and helpful staff. Good work ethics encouraged and ongoing training and refresher courses offered
Better than some places
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Hampshire20 March 2018
Good range of staff benefits, however local management discretion used a lot to not provide these to staff. Staff don't feel trusted. Flexible working hours however and very good staff.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Too much unjustified restriction by certain managers, just because they can.
Education
Deputy Headteacher (Current Employee) –  Gosport, Hampshire3 March 2018
A typical day for me begins at 7 a.m., completing the briefing board for staff. The school day begins at 0845 but before this I am sorting out supply if needed, preparation for teaching, picking up emails and some admin. During the morning I am teaching a group of year 6 students. Afternoons are spent on management tasks, monitoring, delivering assemblies, analysing data, Every day is different - never quite sure what the day will bring and I have learned to be flexible as a result of this. I have also learned that to be proactive is far better than being reactive and try to pre-empt situations that may arise. The workplace culture is one of no excuses and hard work; however it is also one of good humour and collaboration. The hardest part of the job is probably juggling the many varied aspects of the day - you just don't stop - and meeting the needs of so many different people. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people become achieve and become successful - children in their learning and staff progressing in developing their craft and progressing in their careers.
Pros
Holidays, CPD opportunities
Supportive, Interesting workplace
PA (Current Employee) –  Hampshire27 February 2018
Role that allows progression in various areas. Each day is challenging and different. Experience in line management, minute taking, working with a variety of service users

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hampshire County Council. Our community is ready to answer.