Hampshire County Council

Hampshire County Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom205 reviews
Friendly colleagues, with like-minded attitude - work hard for the right reasons.
It is a good place to work, but advancement is limited. Friendly environment and a good ethos. {ep[;e work hard, but socialise well. There are great catering facilities and plenty of space to meet in the café.
My employment
Enjoyed working here....just unfortunately I had to end my employment. I attended several courses that helped me with my work role. I gained confidence along the way. I was person centred.
Was a good job,now just same old,same old.
Started 11 years ago and work through 2 bosses,now a 3 rd has come in and totally changed my fixed hours contract and made me work unsocial evening hours.
They said if I didn’t agree to changes they’d terminate my contract.

Pretty bad after giving them 11 years good service....
Job security
With Hampshire county council I have the benefit of knowing I will always get paid, any overtime worked is always honoured and I have the security of having a pension.
Fun workplace, fast pace
Okay place to work, Hampshire County Council however is slow and inefficient in responding to issues with regards to pay issues, hours, contracts etc... However the nature of the job is engaging, reasonable rate of pay and good people to work with. Mangement needs improvements
Friendly
All staff are very friendly, collaborative and supportive of each other.
There is active and on-going encouragement for advancement.

Robust training schedules have now been employed in our department.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Senior management organisation
Very stressful
Although the job pays very well, it comes with a lot of stress. It’s hard to switch off when you get home, because the job is mentally and physically draining. Higher management are disorganised, but I think it’s due to the fact they have such a big workload. Numerous staff members have been signed off with stress and anxiety because the workload and shift patterns can be too hard to manage.
Night worker
Enhanced rates of pay for out of hour
Yearly Increments

Good annual leave entitlement

Good work life balance

Long hours 12 hour shifts

Weekend working

Regular training
Fun whilst it lasted
Restricted to having holidays in school holidays expected to cover sick shifts as well as ur own shift. Routes changed at short notice. Different drivers sometimes every day on different routes not good for the children
Interesting and lovely place to work
Very good place to work
the people are lovely and very humble

everyone is treated with respect and valued

the location is very good

close proximity to town center

the breaks are long and worth it
No support. No flexibility.
Management are extremely unsupportive.
Focus to much on the negatives instead of the positives and strengths.

Extremely passive aggressive.

Very backwards in ways of working, haven't moved with modern times.

So bad left within 4 months.
great place to work
it was a nice place to work with lots of support. i enjoyed my role as a carer. We received a lot of support. The company offers good benefits and holiday.
Productive and varied
There is never a typical day at work. My current role is varied and some days you need to react to what happens on the day. Colleagues are trained and experienced in their field. Lots of training opportunity. Encourage you to progress within Hampshire County Council.
Pros
excellent cafe, flexible hours
Cons
in city centre
Interesting People and vast scope of positions
Worked here for the past 2 years after spending many years in the financial services. Culture and work very different but go on well with types of departments.
Hampshire County Council is a robust employer
Hampshire County Council is a robust employer. All staffs getting adequate training from time to time. Employer is very much focusing on person centred care and adequately looking after all the staffs.
Pros
Only paid lunch
Terrible place to work
Blatant age and disability discrimination. Blatant nepotism, total disregard of qualifications and experience of older staff in favour of young unqualified and inexperienced staff with the right connections within the council. Blatant bullying by incompetent managers. Completely monotonous work and completely disorganised.
Pros
Cons
no flexi-time, poor pay, blatant bullying, incompetent management, zero prospects.
Reliable, supportive employer; often chaotic work environment.
Hampshire County Council are a welcoming employer who do their best to accommodate all of the requirements of their employees. As a result, the working environment is not as stressful as it perhaps ought to be given the budgetary pressure the council is under and the understaffing of various departments. Job titles are approximate, and I ended up doing a different job from the position I initially thought I was interviewing for. I interviewed for a permanent position, was offered a 1 year contract, was told I would be made permanent and then extended for another year. This typifies the confusion and differing priorities at various levels of management. In IT this manifests as a relentless anthusiasm for projects without a corresponding ability to follow through fully on delivery, documentation and maintenance. I have been moved to a new department once and to new managers twice since joining, and each time unnecessary difficulties and confusions have arisen due to poor support from HR. Nonetheless I feel fully supported by my direct managers, and I feel that they are making the best of a difficult job.
terrible managers no support at all
too many people worrying about what your doing and not what they are doing , and too many gossip mongoers constantly going to managers, who just do nothing
Good Place to Work
A fast paced job but fun and challenging each day, was given a wide range of issues to fix and support. Colleagues supportive and helpful with ongoing tasks. Brainstorming ideas for better delivery of services. Would recommend them has an employer.
Great place to work. innovative, forward thinking and proactive employer. Expects a lot of its employees but rewards performance.
Excellent leadership.
Working in school secondary
Breakfast first break and lunch running a secondary school kitchen 6 girls catering assistant money handling ordering stock take training working on a three week menu
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hampshire County Council. Our community is ready to answer.