Hampshire County Council Employee Reviews

Worked with a good team
Retired team leader Blue Badge (Former Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire20 September 2017
Now retired so largely irrelevant as the rate of change at HCC is so rapid.
I enjoyed my time working in Winchester with the Blue Badge team
Not so happy when team transferred to Hantsdirect in Fareham.
Would really recommend
Volunteer at Manor Farm (Former Employee) –  Botley16 September 2017
The people were all very friendly and welcoming, no matter who you are you'd fit in. Everyone helped everyone and all staff got along really well, even with volunteers who were only able to do one day a week.
Lack of management support and dreadful organisation
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Totton, Hampshire8 September 2017
HCC lack of support from managers and high caseloads with no work/balance. No planning in advance and keep changing the rules all the time when they need to justify. The worst organisation I have ever worked for!
Pros
Resignation
Cons
Work/balance; support; training; high caseloads; health impact
School catering (part-time).
Catering Assistant (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Winchester29 August 2017
Job consisted of food preparation, basic cooking, serving children, clearing away and cleaning.

I learned teamwork in a catering environment and food hygiene, also baking biscuits and pastries.

I enjoyed serving the children as demanding, if small, customers.
Pros
Meeting people.
Cons
Hard work in limited time, low pay.
Hard work , rewarding
Special Needs Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hampshire7 August 2017
8 am to 4pm Mon to Fri . No two days same .You have to think and act quickly and adjust your ideas on the hoof! Flexibility. Rewarding.
Good team work and adaptability needed. The work is never over!
Pros
friendly working environment.
Cons
many hours unpaid
a steep learning curve with no induction or support
Duty Officer (Current Employee) –  swanwick lodge3 August 2017
prefer to remain silent about the treatment of staff and lack of support offered when required
made to feel guilty when you have plans that mean you cannot staff the unit when it is short , expectation of work load verses hour in the day unrealistic , no support from management even when asked for directly . staffing ratio to low for the types of young people that ate resident at swanwick lodge so unable to do activities or keep young people entertained throughout the day .
Pros
good staff team
Cons
long hours expected to cover rota when really short staffed
Facilidad de promoción
Trabajadora Social con menores (Former Employee) –  Totton, Southampton (Hampshire)28 July 2017
Facilidad de promoción en el puesto de trabajo. Compañerismo y ambiente de trabajo positivo.
Elevado número de casos por trabajador que dificulta la elaboración del trabajo. Se excede el número de horas trabajadas por semana lo que implica una sobrecarga emocional y cansancio físico.
En pocas ocasiones se sale a la hora fijada puesto que hay emergencias que cubrir y falta de personal.
Pros
La gasolina está incluida en salario
Cons
Nunca sabes cuándo vas a tener una emergencia o a qué hora regresarás a casa, El almuerzo suele ser delante del ordenador, Descontento entre el personal laboral
challenging and supportive
Temp (Former Employee) –  Hampshire22 July 2017
This was my first taste at working. I worked as soon as I finished school in July up until the end of August when I started college. The people were very supportive and made you feel welcome. I found some of the tasks challenging and this helped me build my skills with working with data bases and with different programmes. I had to work to deadlines and this kept me on my feet and I really enjoy being busy.
A professional and fun place to work
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Aldershot, Hampshire5 July 2017
Runways End is a professional company that prides itself in the excellent service it provides. It gives the opportunity to learn and gain new knowledge while carrying out a daily role.
Monotonous Workplace
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winchester4 July 2017
Data entry - Dealing with contracts from multiple suppliers across the county
Initially learned a variety of systems in regards to the work at hand
Management - friendly, but did not unite the team, nor drive anyone forward to progress
Workplace - Quiet, friendly, uninspired
Difficult customers - issues with our systems matching orders
Enjoyable - flexible working hours
Pros
Flexible working hours, good cafe on site, overall friendly staff
Cons
Poor systems, average and uninspiring management, no further learning or progression to the job role
Enjoyable work experience
School Crossing Warden (Former Employee) –  Farnborough, Hampshire29 June 2017
Relaxed and very enjoyable meeting the parents and children every day, feel good factor most people know my first name as well as myself knowing there's.
Pros
Making sure everyone crosses safetly
Cons
Speeding drivers well above the safe speed for the road.
Great working for this council
Learning Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Farnborough, Hampshire10 June 2017
I currently work for this council, at a special needs school. As its term time this suits my family needs. Salary could be better, to keep up with the cost of living. Certain allowances would be appreciated as well.
Cons
Term time
Ever Changing but enjoyable
Senior Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fareham, Hampshire7 June 2017
Within my section of HCC there was never a dull moment and each day was unpredictable.
I learnt a lot about law and enforcement within the job things i never knew existed until my employment here.
To begin with workplace culture was lovely almost a second family but as i said in the title my workplace became an ever changing environment and with the managers having the highest power over how changes were to be implemented each year. The workplace became a shadow of what it was. Pardon the pun but there are too many Chiefs and not enough Indians within the workplace. Yet the processes within the workplace and workloads officers are to manage remain the same if not more demanding.
Pros
Never a Dull Moment
Cons
Not staffed sufficiently to get job done
Good experience
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire25 May 2017
good experience but you need to be ready to work in the public sector( things tend to happen very differently ) ............................................................
Pros
Flexibility/Pay
Cons
Highly Political
Positive place to,work
Supporting People Housing Officer Adult Services (Former Employee) –  County wide25 May 2017
Need to be dedicated and prepared to work to a high standard. Excellent training opportunities, commensurate with grading of post. Good overall work ethics and general support from management team when required. Expected to be able to work using own initiative, but always acting in accordance with policy requirements.
Many staff are lone workers, so need to be mindful of keeping safe at all times.
The hardest part of the job is understanding the work place ethics and recognising how large the County Council is as an organisation.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of knowing that your hard work makes a difference to the well being of the residents of the county, and its many visitors.
Pros
Supportive staff and wonderful opportunities for a career.
Cons
High expectations and not for the feint hearted, requires someone who, commits to the workplace.
A good place to work
Various Temporary Roles (Former Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire19 May 2017
A good place to work, where a person can feel they're having a positive effect on people's lives.
Since working as a Temporary worker, I have gained in insight into many aspects of the work Hampshire County Council does, and the vast area of different departments it has.
Pros
Usually flexible working - but not in all jobs
Cons
Work flow fluctuates
A great place to work.
Residential Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Kings Worthy, Hampshire13 May 2017
Hampshire County Council is both helpful and supports working mothers like myself. They are fair and pay sufficiently. They have always helped me complete my NVQ.
Pros
Lots of training provided.
Cons
Can be long hours.
fun and productive
Library Customer Service assistant (Current Employee) –  Romsey/Hythe, Hampshire10 May 2017
Working within the library service is fun and fulfilling. A lot of different things to learn and teach. Good atmosphere if you like working with all members of society.
Day consisted of serving customers, dealing with it inquiries, stock work, rhyme time, story time, dealing with emails and inquiries.
easy going workplace culture

organise events often.

Hardest part of the job is how to deal with upset customers and job uncertainty with only being on a temparary contract.
Pros
less fines on books, hour lunch break
Cons
temparary contract
HCC jobs
PMO Manager (Current Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire5 May 2017
Large public sector employer based in several offices across Winchester. Busy varied work across a wide range of professions good workplace culture, nice people to work with. Culture of continuous improvement, and constant drive to improve public services within budget constraints.
Pros
People, recognise you have a life outside of work
Cons
Progression can be limited, low pay increases
A great company to work for
Support Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire28 April 2017
I loved my time at Hampshire County Council but unfortunately they moved my work base which meant I had to travel 20 miles each way each day to work where as before I walked a 5 minute walk to my work place. This meant I was incurring a mileage bill of £200 per month. Due to this I took early retirement under efficiency grounds.
Pros
Parking
Cons
Moving place of work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hampshire County Council. Our community is ready to answer.

Hampshire County Council Reviews by Location