Hampshire County Council Employee Reviews

Working closely with social workers who look after vulnerable children
Senior Administrating Officer (FTC) (Former Employee) –  Andover, Hampshire26 July 2018
A typical day would be to find out what takes priority on typing up statements after social workers visits. I learnt that the social workers work very very hard to protect these vulnerable children. Management were very fair and again were under a lot of pressure. All the people I worked with on the floor were lovely even though they would be stressed, it was about being listened to. The hardest part of the job was that some things you saw where very upsetting but the other side of the coin is that you know that the child has a safe place to sleep at night.
Pros
Lovely homemade food canteen
Cons
Understaffed with Managers who have had no management skills training
Senior Adminstration Officer (Current Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire8 July 2018
My experience of working with Hampshire county council was a real eye opener. I previously worked in the private sector where every process is fine tuned and written into a bible for all staff to work to. So I expected the council to be equal in its efficiency especially as they are spending council tax payers money. I was shocked at the out of date processes and procedures which means that staff spend far too long on tasks that could be completed quickly if only they had the correct technology and processes were assessed in light of new technology being available. There is no testing of staff to see if their current knowledge of basic software such as Microsoft word and outlook is adequate and no training has been offered to me for this. Perhaps this is because the council are still using Microsoft office 2003. I was not even shown how to use the phone.

I also was put into a job role with only generic training that doesn't really relate to the team I'm working in and to find that the way the processes are documented are sketchy at best. I have spent weeks trying to do the job of three people with very little support and even staff who have previously worked in my team say that don't really know how to do most of the tasks as one particular team member always does that job. For me this is a big no no. There should always be more than one person who knows how to a task. This has become apparent now that the person who knows how to these tasks has been absent from work for several weeks and these tasks are not completed in a timely manner because of lack of knowledge.
  more...

I rarely see my manager and was not issued with a training plan until I had Been working for over 3 months. The HCC guidelines say that staff should have supervision once a month but I have yet to have one that is in private where I could talk about my personal development. My manager usually only makes contact if there is a problem. I get no positive feedback. I have no problem with being managed remotely because this is the way I am used to being managed. What I find I acceptable is the lack of contact and support, guidance, coaching and mentoring. I do not think that there is much thought into personal progression from management.

Staff are stressed because high turnover of staff means that there are always staff shortages and management expect people to pick up the slack and still do their job. The high turnover of staff is usually because of lack of training and unrealistic expectations about our workload....it is a vicious circle. Staff leave because of lack of staff which causes the lack of staff.

All in all, based on 30 years working experience in variety of sectors, this is the worst employer I have worked for.
Pros
Excellent pension contributions from employer
Cons
No organisation, inferior processes, inadequate training, no managerial support.
Productive and Helpful
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winchester4 July 2018
I enjoyed my work experience at the Hampshire County Council as it game me an insight of what working was like and made me realise that it was an enjoyable thing to do. I like to keep busy.
Pros
1 hour lunch break and good hours
Independent, team work
Cleaning Operative (Former Employee) –  Lyndhurst, Hampshire2 July 2018
Basic cleaning of the offices and facilities. Working as part of a team and independently, to clean effectively and efficiently throughout the complex.
Great company
Class Teacher Year 6 (Current Employee) –  Alton, Hampshire28 June 2018
great company to work for. Assessment is tedious and time consuming though. Great pension. Easy to speak to HR and they solve things quickly and easily
always short with stuff
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Yateley, Hampshire22 June 2018
For two hours you are pushed to work as if you were working for five hours, they want to use u to the maximum in only two hours,no employee rotation when it comes to the daily mounting, laying the chairs and lifting, those who are good with management are spared from lifting, u will wach them they only do easy jobs and push u every day in rubbish jobs,
Pros
children, serving to children is blessing
Cons
lifting 20 tables and over 100 chairs every day
Boring work, fun co-workers.
Casework Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winchester13 June 2018
Typical day started by checking emails, looking for replies to emails sent the previous day. Start creating new letters and emails for parents of children with EHCPs, fix problems in the data entry system.

Management was very helpful and friendly, and did not put pressure on me.

Hardest part was the repetitive nature of the work and it did not challenge me, most enjoyable was interacting with co-workers.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
Repetitive work
Need to value staff more
Manager (Current Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire12 June 2018
Totally depends on your team as to whether you'll love or hate your job!
Expect long hours and no reward, but work alongside some great dedicated people.
caring and productive
Healthcare assistant (Current Employee) –  Havant24 April 2018
Caring environment, not only for the residents, but for staff too. Friendly and supportive management and helpful staff. Good work ethics encouraged and ongoing training and refresher courses offered
Better than some places
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Hampshire20 March 2018
Good range of staff benefits, however local management discretion used a lot to not provide these to staff. Staff don't feel trusted. Flexible working hours however and very good staff.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Too much unjustified restriction by certain managers, just because they can.
Education
Deputy Headteacher (Current Employee) –  Gosport, Hampshire3 March 2018
A typical day for me begins at 7 a.m., completing the briefing board for staff. The school day begins at 0845 but before this I am sorting out supply if needed, preparation for teaching, picking up emails and some admin. During the morning I am teaching a group of year 6 students. Afternoons are spent on management tasks, monitoring, delivering assemblies, analysing data, Every day is different - never quite sure what the day will bring and I have learned to be flexible as a result of this. I have also learned that to be proactive is far better than being reactive and try to pre-empt situations that may arise. The workplace culture is one of no excuses and hard work; however it is also one of good humour and collaboration. The hardest part of the job is probably juggling the many varied aspects of the day - you just don't stop - and meeting the needs of so many different people. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people become achieve and become successful - children in their learning and staff progressing in developing their craft and progressing in their careers.
Pros
Holidays, CPD opportunities
Supportive, Interesting workplace
PA (Current Employee) –  Hampshire27 February 2018
Role that allows progression in various areas. Each day is challenging and different. Experience in line management, minute taking, working with a variety of service users
Good Employer
Archives and Local Studies Certificate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winchester27 February 2018
A good employer, flexible and good progression opportunities. A busy environment with excellent support from managers. Salary is in line with national averages.
Every day is different
SENIOR LUNCHTIME SUPERVISORARY ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  FAREAM6 February 2018
Everyday is different, each child is different
the management work well with each other
working with children can be rewarding and sometimes disappointing
Pros
children are rewarding
Cons
children sometimes disappointing
good work collegues.
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Hampshire17 January 2018
the office is a fun place to work with plenty of laughs. all staff members are very welcoming to new members of staff. very flexible working hours. the work can become repetitive.
Pros
short days, plenty of overtime, flexi working
Cons
no direction from management, no real career advancement
Goop place to work
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Farnborough, Hampshire4 January 2018
If you are looking for job flexibility and the facility to work form home sometimes this is he place. They provide you with a tablet and mobile device to work from anywhere securely.
Pros
Working ethic is good, good Management in general.
Cons
Salaries are not competitive
Excellent company to provide employment
senior clerk of works (Former Employee) –  various throughout Hampshire2 January 2018
Excellent job satisfaction, working conditions and colleague's to work with. My appointment as senior CoW gave me the opportunity to provide HCC with loyalty and the benefits of my professional knowledge.
Pros
good working conditions
Cons
all external site workv
Not a very good place to work
Steward (Former Employee) –  Gosport, Hampshire20 December 2017
Sitting down all day got quite boring
Money wasn't very good
They was no breaks at all
Have to ask to use the toilet
Management was very lazy just sitting down in the office all day doing nothing
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Sitting down all day doing nothing and mot very good money
Great work place
Home Carer (Former Employee) –  Aldershot, Hampshire5 December 2017
Worked at Hampshire as a home carer for 3 years great working atmosphere and staff.
They prvoided me with my level 2 NVQ training and was always up to date on any courses that needed to be taken.
Holidays and pay was responsible and included overtime.
Pros
Overtime if required
Cons
They changed there hours to non flexible
Hampshire county council
Adult Services Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Hampshire2 December 2017
the company is a good company to work for but there is little opportunity for progression and the salary is good for the work and responsibilities you have.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hampshire County Council. Our community is ready to answer.