Hampshire Constabulary Employee Reviews

Identification Operator (Current Employee) –  Aldershot22 February 2018
I have learnt how to use different IT equipment , databases and programmes during my progression in the Constabulary throughout the years. Feels like working for a "family", lots of laughs during downtime. There has been no hard part of the job as all roles I have worked in have been thoroughly enjoyable and some even challenging, which suited me well.
Pros
Great people
Evidence Officer (Current Employee) –  Southampton7 February 2018
Flexible working hours. Enjoyable part is providing Public service. Deal with general publics enquiries. Nice work place environment. Good facilities in all stations.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
No progression
Strong team ethic / 'can do' attitude.
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Southampton1 February 2018
Despite increased demand, greater public scrutiny, reduced numbers etc everyone tries hard to pull together and deliver the best service they can to protect vulnerable people.
Great support from colleagues.
Plenty of training opportunities, if you want them.
Pros
Know you are really doing something that matters
Cons
Reading criticism about the police.
Old fashioned beat bobby
Police Community Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Farnborough, Hampshire19 January 2018
That's what the role of a PCSO is. There is no typical day because you just cannot expect the unexpected. Every day is different and challenging.
Resilience is a key attribute to have in this job as well as a respect and understanding for diverse members of our community.

The most enjoyable part of this job is having the freedom to manage your day (unless a priority call takes over) and the ability to have an impact on people's lives.

The hardest part is not being able to please ... most people. Resilience is key.
Brilliant Work Place
Fine Registration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winchester29 December 2017
Got on well with everyone involved, pay way good, wonderful experience. Was in a temp position however would have loved to stay on longer with a full time opportunity.
Pros
Cons
Temp position only
Worthwhile and rewarding
Police Constable (Current Employee) –  Waterlooville, Hampshire15 November 2017
A typical day as a response and patrol officer can be very challenging and at the some time very rewarding, dealing with some of the most vulnerable in society.
Good workplace
Police Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire21 September 2017
A variety of roles for anyone who wants to make a difference. You can develop yourself whilst helping people. Some roles include shift work. great job satisfaction
Pros
job satisfaction
Cons
shift work
Can be a difficult working environment, down to the potential nature of the work.
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Hampshire18 August 2017
The job "advertises" itself as no two days being the same, which it generally achieves without trying. It taught me a lot, in dealing with people from differing backgrounds in often difficult circumstances.
Pros
Career opportunities, varying roles
Cons
Can involve extended woking hours at short notice, Big expectations from Public, Expectations that should often be met by other agencies, which are not Police areas.
Short staffed
Police Controller/Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Southampton17 August 2017
Initially enjoyed working for Hampshire Constabulary however over time with the constant cuts in budget it became an unsatisfying place to work. The staff were excellent and great team ethics in the depts I had worked in but the overall culture is now stretched.
Pros
Great team ethics
Cons
Short staffed, overworked
One of the better Police Forces but going through difficult times
Detective Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Various7 June 2017
The Hampshire Constabulary was well managed and staff were generally happy, but like all Police forces has gone through a long period of budget cuts, staff reductions and capability reduction
High pressure/ low reward
Police Constable (Current Employee) –  Havant, Hampshire1 May 2017
A secure job with a reasonable pension however massively under resourced with ineffective management and lack of regard for the individual. Not the career it once was.
Pros
Secure
Cons
You are just a number
was employed for 30 years, a good job if you can handle the pressure
Police Constable (Former Employee) –  Aldershot, whitehill, Alton, Cosham and Romsey13 March 2017
This job was very rewarding in many aspects, helping members of the public, getting on with everyone you meet, treating everyone the same, getting each and every job done satisfactorily that you dealt with and ensuring that those that needed to be taken to court where dealt with in a fair and honest way. There were different aspects of being a police constable, that ranged from dealing with drunks and violence in the evenings, to taking statements from aggrieved persons to more sombre moments ie deaths, I won't dwell on this point, but it was and still is a fact of life (no pun intended), in all if you feel the need that you want to help society, to help It run smoother and are willing to accept all the I thrown at you, this is a worthwhile job.
Pros
good pay, good working relationships, excellent pensio benefits
Cons
can work long hours, you won't be every ones friend, will be critisized at times, even tho you might think you are doing the right thing.
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamble29 November 2016
I love working here, great place with lovely people. Management treats everyone fairly and makes sure everyone is happy and working well together.
Working in teams
Area finance assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton31 August 2016
A typical day was briefing about the days priorties and working with excellent people.
The work each day was varied and interesting working and assisting with events that mattered to the people of Hampshire
Pros
Flexi working
Cons
Narrow mindness
Not the same as it used to be
Detective Constable (Current Employee) –  Hampshire26 June 2016
Challenging role, every day is different and you get to learn new skills. Sadly the job has changed since I joined, there is a complete lack of staff welfare, you are expected to work long hours and since I joined CID, the shift pattern has changed about 5 times. I currently work more lates than days and do not have a lot of work life balance. My husband is not in the police and works a Monday to Friday job.
Pros
build long lasting friendships with colleagues
Cons
long hours, lack of staff welfare
Brilliant experience
Community Court Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Fareham23 June 2016
The voluntary work is highly rewarding, and the other volunteers were so friendly. The PC in charge took great care of us and I feel as though I have learnt a great deal from him.
Difficult work environment.
Crime Desk Manager / Investigator (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth14 June 2016
Hampshire Constabulary like all public services is trying to do a difficult job with minimum staffing levels under trying circumstances. There are some extraordinary officers who appreciated the role I and my civilian colleagues fulfilled. Unfortunately, these roles have been made redundant through the recent rounds of spending cuts.

My work days were always busy, often trying, but predominately rewarding as we were in constant contact with victims of crime and our work was fundanmental in the raising of customer satisfaction from 19% to 89% during my tenure as the Crime Desk Manager.

The hardest part of my role was having to contact victims of crime to tell them that we were unable to solve their cases and having to deal with their subsequent disappointment.

I recruited all my co-workers in my team and I had an excellent professional and personal relationship with them. Since I left the Police service, I have kept in touch with my former colleagues who I now consider to be my friends.
Pros
Given the opportunity to create a work portfolio for a new team.
Cons
The constant change in working conditions and the constant cutbacks in assets.
Stressfull
Traffic Warden (Former Employee) –  Warden, ENG15 October 2015
A very demanding role physically and mentally dealing with aggressive public at times i would not recommend this job unless you enjoy confrontation and threats of physical violence.I hated every minute of it and got out as soon as i could find another job no job satisfaction at all.
Pros
Cons
No Job Satisfaction
Good Workplace
Administration/Finance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton, ENG24 July 2015
Good company to work, with good staff benefits. The company appreciated staff and all that they did. Staff loyalty was paramount.
Pressured environment, constantly changing requirements and work base.
Police Staff Investigator (Former Employee) –  Havant1 July 2015
Unsatisfactory experience and unsupportive management.

Depending on the role this employer can be excellent however I experienced great inequality between the workload of different teams which led to burn out.
Pros
Some flexibility and autonomy.
Cons
No notice demands and extensive hours required.