Hampshire Constabulary

Hampshire Constabulary Employee Reviews

United Kingdom54 reviews
Satisfying but I should have had an exit strategy
I was completely new to the legal system, having never been in trouble with the police, and the job I applied for was re-engineered so when I arrived it was a completely different beast.
Hampshire Police are a reasonable employer, but have the same issues every service has, sometimes you get good management and staff and sometimes you don't, I was lucky at times and had some of the best line managers (Sergeants) that I've ever had, but equally I had some that I just had to work around because they were not there for the same reason everyone else was.

If you want an employer who will give you every opportunity to eat up your personal time and give the minimal thanks for it, but equally if you are driven enough to do that become a warranted officer and see how far to can climb, in my time I have seen new intakes reach detective sergeant level, so if you want to go for the higher ranks it is open for you to try.

My experience has been different and the job nearly broke me at times, they try to assist when stress levels get to high but need to stop trying everything to fix people when they break and start looking at the root cause for so many people struggling.
Poor Leadership
Not really what the job description said, poor leadership and over supervision. Poor personal development opportunities and a bureaucratic rank oriented organisational culture
Competitive, fast paced, and productive.
Excellent.
IT department is in much better shape than many private enterprises.

Knowledgable staff, latest hardware and software.

Overal rate 5 Stars.
Great variety of work and training
Current shift tiring / 4 week rotation. One shift set finished on a Friday late but start early on the following Monday. Only 2 weekends off per month and one is as above. Never more than 2 days off in a row unless flexible working applied.
On the plus side great training packages. Many great Managers. Meet lots of people. Get to help others. Every day is different.
Hard job
Job is quite cut throat and they tend to get rid of people rather than working to support them. I can understand this, but this was not the impression given during the training stage. A few difficult personalities there.
Police
Fast paced and can be dangerous. Work life balance is not great and be prepared to be regularly off late. That said it can be very rewarding. There are opp for lateral moves and promotion after 2 years.
Stressful place to work
When I first started with the constabulary it was hard work but we could also have fun, we had management who cared about their work force and supported us as much as they could. I moved to another area and became an SJU Clerk, this was a job that I developed with the prosecutors within the office, we worked hard but still all got on and still had time for each other. We had a change of management and the stress piled up on a lot of us, not all management were as good, very good at procedures but no understanding of the people under them.
A once great profession is eroded by Austerity and conservatism!
I will disclose my views of the Force in person to any potential employer. I don't wish to publicly air my views - A once great profession is eroded by Austerity and conservatism!
Treated like a mushroom. Kept in the dark and fed S**t for 30 years
Long Hours Rubbish Pay Dealing with idiots on the inside and outside.
Body armour required at all times to prevent getting stabbed in the back.

No meal breaks over promoted bosses.
workplace
friendly
lots to do

management is good

well organised
Loved this force
People amazing, discipline great, everything done properly unlike my current workforce.
Was very happy there until I got bullied. Oh well.

Only delivered the best ongoing Drive Safe day in Brockenhurst to make up for it!!!
Pros
Drive safe - Brockenhurst College every sept
Cons
Pushed for staff
Field work, the people are really very nice. Working at the police is a bit manic but then that is expected. Very close, family environment and very helpful colleagues
Basic day
Arrive 30 to 45 minutes to catch up on e-mails. 0800 set classrooms up insuring all relative paperwork is in place. Then back to off ice to answer e- mails. Either prepare for days training or sort paperwork for meetings for the day.
General daily management tasks, ordering equipment, stock checking daily admin. Quality assurance reviews, PDR to be written. Very good working environment wth equal opportunities and diversity high on priorities. Hardest part of the job is meeting demands with little resources. The best part of the job is the commitment of the trainers to deliver a good product.
Pros
Free car parkinga
Cons
Extra hours required to meet work load
Too many cutbacks
Due to cutbacks, everyone is feeling the strain but I have found my time there challenging and fulfilling. Unfortunately it is not a job for life anymore.
Pros
Great camaraderie
Cons
Cutbacks - no job is safe
Not what it used to be
With the government slashing budgets and police officer numbers, they failed to realise that crime would continue as normal.

Despite being warned that #cutshaveconsequences the cuts were made and the remaining officers were expected to pick up the slack with cancelled rest days, longer working days (not uncommon to work 16-17 hour days) etc. meaning that victims of crime didn't , and still don't, receive the response they should be entitled to and expect.
Pros
job security
Cons
long hours, enforced overtime, risk of violence, high workload
challenging diverse role
Challenging, rewarding role with ever changing circumstances. Dealing with difficult situations and conflict daily. Good team culture, Allowing you to work as part of a diverse team.
Not supportive
Work place culture was very black. Hardest part of the job was to leave what had happened during your day at work. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping people
Good team ethic
A good environment to work in, lots of opportunity’s to move to other roles through internal vacancies. Facilities are good. Sites are having canteen facilities added and in some parts there are gyms available to use free of charge.
Pros
Good facilities
Varied and challenging
No day at work was the same, I learned how to deal with people and manage a team.
The job was challenging as demand was high and resources did not always match demand.

The most enjoyable part of the job was managing and developing team members
Pros
Job security
Cons
High demand insufficient resources
Interesting work profile at first
My first role outside of the military. Exciting and new as well as being a culture shock transiting from the military to a civilian culture. I enjoyed managing teams and carrying out investigations into volume crimes. Got a good feeling once a successful investigation lead to a conviction and restitution for the victim of crime.
Pros
Given a "blank canvas" to set up the crime desk at Portsmouth
Cons
Us and them culture between some Police officers and civilian staff
Special Constable
This, was voluntary work and you don't get paid for it.

It, is a good way to gain new experience and skills and to develop.

Would, not do it again. Maybe that says a lot.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hampshire Constabulary. Our community is ready to answer.