Hamleys

Hamleys Employee Reviews

Hamleys is a toy store targeted towards kids, so there are many activities that happen within the store. Therefore, the vibe of creating a fun environment to the target audience is reciprocated to the energy of the staff members.
Pros
2 breaks
It was such a great environment working at hamleys wonder atmosphere working with such a big group such a great group of hard working people just best environment
I found the experience pretty fun because of the atmosphere and people. The working environment had a family vibe, however, the commission is based on how many sales you make which is related to the target and so it can be challenging.
fun place to work ful of people of diffrent backgrounds and great team, they have treated me like how anyone would like, with respect, it was fun got tp play with toys and be excited to go work.
Was a brilliant time - I had a ball - you feel part of their family and culture straight away. Brilliant training and development programmes and you feel loyal to the brand
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Has changed hands several times and is sold regularly
The working system is built on how long you have worked in Hamleys and the friends you make. If you’re popular and have lots of friends, you will get treated like royalty and working will be a pleasure. The staff members are very childish and petty, for such a prestigious brand you would think employees would be very professional and well-mannered, but clearly most have forgotten to leave their playground behaviour in school. Especially those in head office!
No work or life balance, especially if a temp! Covered Christmas and they pinned 40 hours on you then only offer part time work! There is no full time work opportunity which is needed with they low pay rate. A clear sign of favouritism as well, no matter how well you do, think I was mentioned twice while one person was everyday as they were obviously vouching for her to be the perm. There is NO benefits, you get discount on products in there but considering the price it just brings it to average marketing prices elsewhere. For example no Christmas bonus this is again dependent on who favours you as the staffs pick their "best helper" and then everything else is pot luck of raffle tickets. WOW! Bad pay of £8 an hour, I can work at Lidls at £10-£11 an hour, for less stress and push for add-ons as that is all you all care about, even staff! As they would push away customers that have one item to you instead! For a world famous toy store you are a disgrace. Never again.
A fun job, you work in a toy store and often are surrounded by smiles but it is tough. There are targets to be met and you must keep 100% energy the entire shift.
Pros
Lovely staff-room with free wifi
Cons
Hard and energetic work
Hamleys is truly a magical place to work. I haven't been a better team since. Advancement is available and your hard work is noticed and appreciated. If I could I'd go right back to them.
Pros
Great company, great team.
Cons
Tidying up after kids can get tedious
Its an okay job. Just an ordinary retail store just very busy and with loads of toys. You get customers from all over the world. It can be challenging somtimes.
I enjoy in meeting new people and learning how present myself and performing in short magic show.
Pros
Toys, playing a lot with colleague and customers
Cons
no personal stability, few money, a lot of stairs
for my first job it was exactly what I was looking for, vital skills very much needed and great job feeling. Some staff were very rude and had favourites, some of us felt like we got picked on, very hardworking place would recommend though for first timers.
Pros
got paid, 1 hr lunch breaks if long shift
Cons
staff rude
It was my favourite job I meet a lot of friendly peoples I was picking orders I didin't have any hard part of this job It was warehouse with Toys for kids :)
Pros
nil
Cons
Overall a very active and friendly workplace. Learnt persistence and how to drive a product to a very diverse audience. However we were only paid commission an no basic pay.
Pros
amazing atmostphere
Cons
commission based pay
very fun atmosphere everyday was different spent a lot of years there and often looked forward to going to work, one can't complain when being paid to play with toys and create a fun atmosphere for both staff and customers.
Pros
great atmosphere good location good pay
It was fun working with Hamleys and sharaf dg.Enjoying working at present in Dhara Paper Manufacturing llc.Fun loving team with supportive manager in all aspects of work environment.
had fun working in Hamleys, can get tiring at the end but the people are nice to work with, but there's a lot of competition if you want to progress in the company.
Pros
friendly staff members
Cons
it is an ok environment but it wasn't the best the managers were rude and very disrespectful and even though it is a fun environment there was no time to have fun.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
not friendly
pleasant place to work. Staff are friendly and management look after each employee, many opporunities to work up the job and training is very useful.
I will not say it is a bad company but the store I worked for was not somewhere I would recommend. Management are rude and cheeky to staff. Management were exempt from the uniform policy and disciplined certain staff and not others. ALL members of management were not understanding of disabilities. Hours are terrible and management do not care of other responsibilities. Management set unrealistic expectations on sales. Holidays are forcibly given on days you cannot work therefore you do not receive them. So many more problems with the company and management.
Pros
Cons
Management and staff are horrible
Don't work here unless you want to be treated as a child...The ridiculous induction lasted for 8 hours and involved us acting like 3 year old children, it was an embarrassing and humiliating experience. There is no air conditioning, the staff toilets are tiny and usually you have to wait in a cue when you need to use one of the urinals. The changing rooms are grubby. Some of the managers are very rude. The canteen is small for the amount of staff that work in the building.