HALTON BOROUGH COUNCIL

HALTON BOROUGH COUNCIL Employee Reviews

United Kingdom41 reviews
Enjoyed working with special needs people and driving various vehicles and dealing with some clients in wheelchairs.
The hourly rate was very low for the responsibilities.
Pros
Casual contract
Cons
short work during school holidays
Very cliquey, untrained and unqualified colleagues with little knowledge of the role. Poor management that show favouritism to certain individuals, and give no flexibility for personal matters or appointments etc.
Bad practice was commonplace and were selective with health and safety when it suited. Also the correct tools and machinery were not always available.
It appears that the council are only interested in hiring casual workers as a means to not have to create full or part time contracts.

To add insult to injury with the fact that majority of the facilities have closed down due to the COVID-19 lockdown, they are not willing to pay ANY casual worker any part of the 80% of earnings with the government job retention scheme. Therefore, people who use a casual wage as a main form of income are being penalised for it.

It seems somewhat farfetched that casual employees that have a vital role in the running of certain facilites and who are keeping things afloat are facing this kind of discrimination. They are losing out on what should be a government grant to help EVERY worker.

Will not work for again in any capacity.
just a shame the management are total idiots and totally destroyed the depot and lead it into closure losing over 150 jobs .bad management and a very ..very poor attitude to staff
Everybody and friendly and encouraging.
There are so many opportunities to train up in different areas of the business.

The company is managed well and there are no problems with going to your manager with any worries or questions.
Pros
Discount with local businesses.
Cons
Parking
I worked for HBC for 7 years and loved it.

I did a variety of different roles. They are a great employer.

If you get the chance, you should definitely work there!
I have worked within Halton borough council for several years. whilst the pay is good and the work life balance is good. they have fairly regular restructures so you never know how secure you're job is
I worked with a great group of people, everybody had time to help each other.
I loved working flexi hours, takes a lot of pressure off travelling times with the amount of traffic.
Great company to work for. Holiday hours and pensions scheme in place to be most beneficial to all workers. great opportunities to upscale in job roles with training provided.
Liked working outside, great sense of achievement knowing I helped our community, learnt how to recycle, could be very dirty at times and very physical, overall I was sad to leave but unfortunately cut backs had to be made and I was one of them
Good company with reasonable pay. Good level of courses and professional development courses available. Small workforce so most people know each other which can work well
Love working for hbc , im so lucky to have a boss an supervisor which are so good reasonable are always there to help , an talk if needed , the pay is good for a cleaning job . not had any complaints so far . i hope to be still working for the company in ten years time . only bin 6 so far . smiley faces all round .
I worked for them for 16 years , used to be a nice working environment, but now new management has made that very difficult . I dreaded going to work every morning , wondering what challenges lay ahead
Staff pressurised and undervalued, constant scrutiny of staff resulting in increased stress and anxiety. Management have no people skills. Staff are excellent and hard working. Hardest part of the job is the management.
Pros
Not easy
Cons
Loved working here, a good friendly working team, learnt a lot about the different types of forms needed for various workers. There was a lot to take in but was enjoyable learning. Would accept a position here again.
Halton Borough Council is one of the biggest employers in halton. They are proactive in training flexible working and family friendly. Competative pay
Pros
Flexible working, starter 25 days paid leave plus bank holidays, 10 day christmas shut down, competative pay rates.
Cons
Not always supportive when issues arise, senior management can be difficilt to reach, not all departments are supportive of progression
I've been a cleaner now for 6 years , no regrets best company I've worked for so far . My boss supervisor are great no issues at all , could not ask for more they are always there if we need anything. The group of ppl I work with are great as i have a few contracts with the council, I'm a really hard worker and love a challenge, they can rely on me . The pay is better than most can't complain. So overall I am proud to work for the council and love to show my uniform off . Hopefully this will be my long term job .
Pros
Good pay, every one like family
Cons
None so far
Good place to work , good team at hbc. Managers where very fair whilst I was there. I really got on with all the company from top to bottom. Learnt so much and was privileged to have had the opportunity to work there at the age I was.
Pros
Learnt and developed me as a person
Cons
Contract expired
I don't have a typical day in work. I work with the most complex and hard to reach people - everyone I work with has multiple and complex needs. On any given day I can deal with multiple people all with multiple needs and issues. It is my role to not only assist individuals into being able to access support but to also challenge systems of work and bring together agencies in a more collaborative way of working.
I've learned that individuals are judged on the decisions that they make, however these decisions are not always made because they want to make that decision, there will be a multitude of factors influencing individuals ability to make informed decisions and many individuals are strongly influenced by events from childhood.

Systems are developed enough to incorporate the human factor in and are often very medical in approaches.

The management i have offer clinical supervision and support which is invaluable.

The hardest part of my role is having to 'switch off' when I leave work, however my family and work life balance ensure that I can do so.

I love it when the individuals I'm working with feel empowered and make 'good' decisions for themselves.
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
I enjoyed working at Halton Borough Council., the part I worked for was the Telehealth Care Department. It was all about making sure customers were happy with the service they was receiving. The management was great to work beside, always made sure you was getting on OK before anything else. The hardest part of the job was ringing people as they thought it was nuisance calls most of the time, but the best part was getting to speak to lovely customers who was happy with the service.
Pros
Good hours
Not a bad job, wish I could of stayed but I was only in a 6 month placement but nevertheless it was great working there and I recommend it to any thinking of working there