Hallmark Care Homes Employee Reviews

A truley wonderful company to work for
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Wokingham, Berkshire10 July 2018
A company that cares about you!
My time at Hallmark was the best experience of my working career, I learnt so much from my colleauges and managers whilst there, progression is encouraged, knowledge is available everywherer you look and the whole companies ethos has made an amazing work culture
Run on profit
Bucklesham grange (Former Employee) –  Ipswich8 July 2018
This company disguise themselves in the glitz and glamour of the care awards, where they always put forward someone from their unfriendly clique just to brown nose. The GM is young and clueless often picking fault in the underdog, never have I felt so useless and bullied with no support, this home does not welcome new staff unless your face fits, the food is poor and little expense goes into that, also often working on low staffing, almost work every weekend and 2 sets of nights a month with no enhancement, I would strongly reconsider if you accept a job from them, they’re desperate for anyone and discard you if your too nice.
Pros
Ample car parking and fabulous residents, also fab carers
Cons
Lazy nurses, bossy senior carers and useless and non existing management
Very poor management
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex3 July 2018
The home itself is a lovely place.the staff are great,work hard but always understaffed.The manager is a bully and tries to control rather than manage.he is unproffessional and doesnt care about his staff.His answer is if you dont like it get the bus out of here.A lot of staff have started to listen.Such a shame as it was a nice place to work before he went there.
Pros
Lovely dedicated staff who work hard
Cons
Bad management
Poor management
Care (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex1 July 2018
Lovely home and such hard working caring staff, manager is intimadateing and controls staff by fear don't ever be I'll! No empowerment from him unless empowerment now means threats and a promise of action on you if you dare to stand up to his shouting and unrealisitic targets of work time. Shame as company vision is lovely and residents are well cared for by care staff dispite their low morale.
Pros
Staff and beautiful home
Cons
A culture of bullying and money saving shortfalls
Other (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex21 June 2018
On first impressions, this is a stunning home. But scratch beneath the surface and you find a mirard of poor practice, underinvestment and a bullying culture.
The team are incredibly caring, but the pressures put on them are not only uncaring, but unsafe.
This home should carry a government health warning for anyone who works there, the high levels of stress and tiredness are unbelievable. The team work 12 hour shifts with no access to a proper meal. The home continues to prioritise admissions over the safety of the residents and staff who are already there.
A very poor example of a private company making money out of vulnerable, elderly people, with no concerns for the wellbeing of its employees. An illusion of something that it definitely is not.
Pros
Caring carers
Cons
Long hours, no access to a meal, short staffed.
the team are amazing
Dementia Lead (Former Employee) –  Billericay, Essex7 May 2018
To enable residents who live with Dementia to be treated with respect and dignity and to express their own choices and wishes.
To enable residents to be prompted to participate in activities to help with their social and emotional wellbeing.
Pros
smile at the end of the day knowing you have made a difference.
Cons
long hours, no hot meal provided, lucky to have weekends off
Slave labour
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wales26 April 2018
Do not work here. They are all about the pretty front and working their staff like skivvies on low staffing levels. The care staff are overworked and underpaid!
Pros
Cons
Non stop slave labour
Life at Kew
Team Leader - Full Time (Current Employee) –  Wimbledon, Greater London23 April 2018
Since joining Kew I have been able to exceed myself personally and professionally. Kew has given me the chance to grow as an individual while learning many new things which are life long experiences and amounts of knowledge.
Joining such a close knit, bubbly, friendly and welcoming team has been a mind-blowing experience. The amount of support given and knowledge shared has been nothing but excellent.
The workplace culture is so happy and bright, everybody here wants to be here and that makes all the difference.
The most enjoyable part of my job is coming in and seeing everybody smiling and working hard, but above all the support and wisdom from the management team is outstandingly good.
Overall, I love working at Kew.
Pros
Happy people
Cons
No cons :)
Frustrating corporate dictation
Chef (Former Employee) –  South coast England15 April 2018
Longest job I’ve ever had , well felt like it .... threw my entire gut into this job & company... developed a team / a work ethos / controlled financial acumen / implementing organisation / only to have it all pulled from beneath my feet by head office senior management with absolutely no Justification, lost 30% of my labour overnight cuts on “team” with higher demands to be delivered. I left due to being physically unable to provide a safe food service with the staff levels ... painfully disappointing experience... but a good lesson , awful staff morale + happy stress free management = hallmark ... good luck
Pros
Lesson learned
Cons
Hallmark
Toxic environment
Head chef (Former Employee) –  Essex7 April 2018
Increasing more difficult to do job hired to do. Demanding management and unrealistic targets from people that don't understand kitchens and how they work.

Kitchen team are good and friendly but overshadowed by negatives from above.

Family run business but unwilling to be flexible for working parents unlike other companies.

Avoid..
Pros
Work life balance, fresh cooking, team
Cons
Management, unrealistic targets, unqualified managers (my opinion)
Very but very bed management!
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  London9 March 2018
GM just want to save money! I don't believe that she will pay that money for a senior! It is just to call people
to the interview and there she will drop it down to 9 pounds lol! She have no words! ✂ everything! Sometimes has 2 or 3 care for each floor ! We had days that even activities managers had to work as a care because was none! No agency! Putting the residents in danger! GM protect people! When reported nothing is Donne about! And you are not allowed to have your opinion! Seniors without any experience are been contracted and promoted! I will never let one family member be one night in that place, families has no ideia what's is goin on! Residents been changed one time during the night while team sleep and the management? They know it! Hope CQC do something about because it is ❤ broken to see people having a end of like in that way...
Pros
Beautifull home, some team members are very supportive!
Cons
GM ! Really rude and is a risk to work in that place for lot of reasons
Fun to work
Care assistant (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, Suffolk27 February 2018
I stayed at hallmark for 5 years cus I enjoyed it watching us succeed and getting outstanding was a massive achievement for me and the whole team I was sad to leave but ready for a new adventure would recommend working there to anyone
Pros
Fun good team like family free food
Cons
Great place to spend your working day
Head Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Lightwater, Surrey7 January 2018
I love this job and look forward to going in to work every day. The residents are all lovely and I really enjoy having a chat with everyone and seeing them happy.
No matter how busy, my team always find the time to spend a few minutes out of their busy day to make a tea for the residents and we all love spending time on the dementia community even if its only during the time spent housekeeping we engage with the residents

Our home is spotless and I like to make sure it stays that way.
Deep cleans are extremely hard work but my team take pride in the home we work in.

Very hard work to keep on top of everything but we all work together whichever department we work for.

The phrase "it's not my job" is one I do not allow my team to use at any time

Care team, housekeepers.lifestyle, kitchen and management we are a team one I'm proud to be a part of.
Pros
Happy atmosphere friendly team
Hard working team
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Rugby27 December 2017
I see a lot of people calling Hallmark but the care home I work in is lovely. Yes we have problems but show me somewhere that doesn't. I work with a fantastic team in housekeeping who all help each other out and want to give our all to make our home the best. The carers are all fantastic in providing excellent care and yes they do work hard and long hours but you do come into care because you care.
Pros
Great team
Please save yourself do not apply worst company ever
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wales21 November 2017
Very over worked depressed staff not one shred of happiness do not trust anyone! A typical day includes a soul crushing moral destroying meeting with the gm the management are never happy with any work nothing is good enough for them. They treat the staff like robots the staff are as disposable as toilet paper no job security so many hardworking good people have left under the stress and pressure. I feel for the family's who trust the horrible people in management with their mothers and fathers. The care staff are lovely people who go heads over tails for the residents which are fantastic. There is no work culture just a lot of work there is no enjoyable part of this poor excuse of a company
Pros
there really is none
Cons
everything
lovely place to work
Head Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Rugby, Warwickshire15 November 2017
I've worked at Anya Court for 3 years and for the most part it has been very enjoyable. There is a high turnover of team members who are all excellent but exhausted covering team shortages. I'm very glad to have worked here, I've learnt a lot and am leaving to change direction within the care industry. The hospitality service manager who was my line manager was/is very encouraging to improve yourself.

Everyone wants to work the charter but it is very difficult with lack of team

Empowerment days are really good ending with a fire walk which is amazing.
Pros
on going training, the charter, many benefits, fab team.
Cons
lack of team, very large building, no GM
Worst Company I have Ever Worked For
Finance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Billericay, Essex24 October 2017
Staff are over worked and treated with disrespect. High blame and bully culture as everyone is worried about getting the sack as they dismiss staff daily for no reason. Job duties change daily as no one is ever doing a good enough job for management. I have never been so unhappy in my entire life.
Pros
Non
Cons
Bullies
Poor place to work
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rugby25 August 2017
This company is not all it's made out to be.
I used to love working for this care home but reverently my morale has been crushed due to poor management and constantly understaffed. Two of the 3 community's get forgotton about and left to struggle. Residents not getting up until midday as the GM refuses to give us any support as we "can manage"
If anyone was to consider working here I'd tell them the truth about the management and how poorly the place is run. The GM is extremely rude to care team which has resulted in many leaving.
Care team are regularly breaking down on shift due to stress with no support.
The residents are lovely as are their family members but that's the only positive about the place.
Pros
Residents and colleagues
Cons
Rude management, no support
unsurportive management
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rugby4 August 2017
the home home is beautiful it is hard work but rewarding the residents are lovely people to care for. however the turn over of staff is very high management are not surportive which is why turnover is so high
Cons
management not good
Disappointing
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  England6 July 2017
Appalling induction.
Hallmark Cult is very different to a larger professional care company.... trying and failing to be a large professional group but with the mentality and support of a small family business.

Weak management, blame culture off loaded onto staff for failings of general manager.

Low morale. No support.
Shame... the 'Vision and Charter are brilliant ' sound bites' but not being lived up to...
Worked for Hallmark for 2 months , in that time 7 of the management team " left the business". Not through choice... bad staff turn over.
Hallmark are a very long way from ever being outstanding.
Pros
Higher pay... though told " you earn this to put up with what you have to at Hallmark "
Cons
Small company... The expression " fur coat and no knickers" explains Hallmark.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hallmark Care Homes. Our community is ready to answer.