Halfords Employee Reviews

Productive and a good working environment
Bike Builder (Former Employee) –  Sutton22 February 2019
Halfords was a good place to do work experience
The employees was nice and was very friendly, the manager was nice and respectful same as the customers
Pros
Long breaks
Interview process was a joke
none (Former Employee) –  Redditch, Worcestershire18 February 2019
I applied to work in the customer contact centre in Redditch in 2017.
I had 3 separate interviews.
1. Was an actual interview with two of the managers.
They said they would be in touch in the next week.
I then waited and waited, after several attempts to contact them, I eventually get through to one of them. They are sorry for the delay and would like me to come back in for another chat.
2. I go back and have another chat.
I wait again, this time I don’t chase them, about a month goes by and they call again to my surprise, they apologise and say that people were away etc etc, they want me to go and meet the team.....ok I think.
3. I go in meet the team and see how things run, different to what I am used to but, hey I think that I am savvy and more than capable (especially after I see the others that work there, if they can do it, then I definitely can!)

I wait again, probably for the best part of two months this time only to get a letter, to say no!!
Waste of time and effort! Employment management are a joke! I could have done the job blindfolded, with my hands tied behind my back with and elephant on my lap......however they can’t with all functions!
Pros
Absolutely nothing
Cons
Clearly the management
great colleagues need better management and less pushy to (staff and customers)
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cardiff17 February 2019
some great colleagues good laugh but management haven't got a clue most of the time in my opinion. low pay for workload and for the the knowledge you need to do the job. very customer focused which i good but same time highly pressured to achieve. To many negatives and a few positives to list, wouldn't class this as a job you would stay in for the long run (and the amount colleagues leaving over the years highlights this)
Pros
great colleagues
Cons
management/pay/ highly pressured /pushy
Not good to work for
Fitter (Former Employee) –  London14 February 2019
I work for the auto centres they don’t look after you at all pay is not good make you work really hard Halfords is going down hill big time big bosses don’t care
Pros
Cons
Make you work hard don’t appreciate it
Great Company
Retail Digital & Infrastructure Manager (Current Employee) –  Redditch14 February 2019
Great company to work for with lots of opportunity. Various new roles always become available, and the culture to develop within is strong throughout the business.
disheartening
Autocentre Manager (Former Employee) –  various sites13 February 2019
When first joined the company it was a fun place to work, sales and service where the essence to the company, but the customer always came first. the company evolved to one that now profit comes before the customer, managers are no longer managers more receptionists until there is a problem.
Very good place to pick up skills
Technician (Current Employee) –  Harlow12 February 2019
Halfords is a fantastic place to learn new skills about the motor trade or cycle business, but the pay isn't that fair for the level of work that you do on a day to day basis.
fun
customer sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire11 February 2019
it was a fun job everyone liked to tell jokes and have a general good vibe, customers were friendly in the area, my boss was very calm however kept everything in check, i was treated well as an employee
Pros
25% store discount
Treated like dirt
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oswestry, Shropshire8 February 2019
Was treated very poorly by the store manager, would not recommend working there. Instead of giving me support i was basically threatened to get sacked. I was also shouted at for thing's i did not do. I did get along with the other guys who worked there however i didn't feel i got the support from the manager when it should/could of been given. I was having panic attacks before going into work. Training is also poor, it's pretty much "log onto e learning and go through the modules yourself", so i didn't find it any help.
Pros
Nice team members, 1 hour lunch break
Cons
Soul destroying store manager
Great experience
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sudbury1 February 2019
This was a very different experience than Id had before and gave me more experience that I wanted to have.
The hardest part of the job was the learning curve, as I was expected to learn quickly about the job and the products on sale, but this was worth it as I felt that I had progressed a lot in a short space of time.
Dont even apply, theres better jobs out there
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Weymouth, Dorset31 January 2019
The key to a good or even a great team is the leader and the current store manager has clearly jumped into a position that he isn't ready for yet. So many long term members of staff have been pushed out in recent months. Seems to have no practical experience as you hear him say he can't do stuff or approaches customers and passes them straight onto another colleague. Very stressful and if you already have a life on the outside you will soon lose that working here. It's very much a target driven job no matter what position you hold. What you're not told is that you are expected to do all the online training at home and you get sent on courses that you don't learn a lot from. The boundaries are pushed when it comes to health and safety as well as are your legal rights. No good calling hqfor support, they will always support the managers. If you value a lunch break you'll be lucky to get one and when you do it's interrupted if you don't leave the premises. There's better employers out there, it's just a case of finding them. Annual bonuses don't get paid either so don't fall for that one!
Pros
Its a job that gives you 25% discount if you last 12 weeks
Cons
Everything really, once they got you they own you
fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom28 January 2019
The typical day at work was dealing with customers that had different needs with what they wanted. Ive learned a lot of things such as stocking taking, fixing bikes and cars. The most enjoyable part of this job role was having a laugh with workers and making sure all my customers were happy with the service they had.
Fast paced environment
Secondment Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Merseyside26 January 2019
-progress if your face fits
-treated as a number rather than a person
-always expected to achieve more and more for the same money and less colleagues
Pros
friendly in store colleagues
Cons
long hours, poor work life balance
Great fun place to work
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Dundee21 January 2019
Great helpful place to work. Learned a lot about bikes and cars. Staff where very helpful and the management where also very helpful.
Hardest part of the job was pulling 50 bikes up the stairs to the bikehut. The most enjoyable part was working on bikes and fixing them.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
Poor salary
nice knowledge
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Dartford19 January 2019
liked working and getting to know my staff, knowledge of my work place learning more about cars and building bikes, loved helping customers enquires and love hearing the feed back as well
thecolleagues make the job
auto fitter (Former Employee) –  New Malden, Greater London17 January 2019
having good colleagues helps the job go easier its a friendly place to work although home work life balance could be better but it is a retail job so it is to be expected and if you want extra training its available .
Fun environment
Night Shift Worker (Former Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands16 January 2019
there's not much more i can tell about warehouse work. typical warehouse. management not helpful, difficult to get on with, sometimes makes things harder for employees with no particular reason. Although great colleagues!!! this is definitely the best thing about Halfords
Enjoyable but at times tedious
Supervisor/Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Farnborough15 January 2019
From a part time perspective very convenient and enjoyable with the option to learn a lot and meet many people in a fast paced retail environment. However, going full time makes day to day shop floor "chores" very tedious.
fun place to work
stock file support (Current Employee) –  Burgess Hill, West Sussex13 January 2019
fun place to work every day is different Fast pace of work when busy management team really nice colleagues also nice to work with pay increases when u do your gears
Pros
long holidays
Cons
some unsocial hours
Technician and MOT Tester (Former Employee) –  Cardiff12 January 2019
Not bad company to work for done 10 years with them so can’t complain they treated me well jus pay was a problem to be honest trained me well and still in trade
Pros
Gained qualifications
Cons
Wages

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Halfords. Our community is ready to answer.