Play YouTube video button

Halfords Employee Reviews

United Kingdom1,132 reviews
Found 1,132 reviews matching the search
Featured review
Halfords selected this as a representative review
All round great place to work
The team members were all extremely supportive and the management are absolutely amazing, i say this because they not only listen to ideas and queries but try to support you in anyway they can. It is the only place i have worked for that treated me and valued me as a person not a number.
Experience was nothing to write home about.
One word to describe this company is frivolous as it does not consider its employees as people that work to elevate the company. There is too much discrimination.
productive workplace
The job requires you to be on your feet all day and requires you to have good people skills very enjoyable place to work management while very good at manging you if you needed help they didnt hesitate to help you
Too little pay for the work, too much expected of you
Worked for Halfords for over 3 years and the trick is to stay dumb, the more you know the more responsibility you have with no extra pay or benefits. Get used to disappointing customers and getting the stick for it from the customer for various things other colleagues couldn't do.
Good fun
I worked as a bike mechanic over the summer of 2017 and really enjoyed my time there. Management were very chatty and hands on and didn't just delegate and complain. Everyone worked together well and I felt very welcomed when I became part of the team. My role was only over the summer period to help with additional business but I'd highly recommend it to and budding mechanic or student. You'll work with a wide range of bike and experience some very unusual problems that will prepare you for almost any bike you'll come across.
I thoroughly enjoyed working here as they are a fun company to work for and always look after the colleagues there.
It was a great job to have and even though it was hard work, you wanted to work.
Fantastic Culture & Working Environment
Fantastic place, very supportive and welcoming.
Team collaboration is second to none.

Very supportive Management and Executive Teams

Would definitely recommend as a best place to work.

Care for their Customers and Staff.👍🏻
Not worth the land it’s on
I have never seen micro managing up to such a high level. Store managers don’t have the authority to move a sponge from one shelf to the other. The staff turnover in my year was massive, mostly due to reasonable time off requests and holidays being refused for no good reason. Customers are what you would expect in such run down grotty stores.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Halfords?
overall not bad
good place to start... decent people, not much opportunity to progress, but still a base in which to get a taste for the retail environment, if you like cars and push bikes.
Company was good to work for up until a few weeks ago
Joined the company on just a 12 hour contract, worked my way upto an audio tech position and thought I'd go further with the company, sadly the way they have handle the current crisis it has shown how little the company regards colleague safety, if they had informed colleagues better then maybe it wouldn't be so bad but they were going back and forth on their promises completely destroying all colleague trust
Awful place to work.
Where do I start?
*Management clueless and lazy

*Pay Rates Terrible

*Long Hours

*Fed-up Staff who have lost their passion for the job.

*Zero praise or reward for doing a good job.

*No chance of promotion

*Shop old and dated compared to newer stores.

The best thing about working at Halfords was the end of each shift!

Was the best feeling ever when I left this job to work at another retailer who values me.

Ex "Acting assistant manager" was best mates with store manager so they would spend most of the day out the back joined at the hip not working.

The pay rates are appalling for the amount of work that you are given.

Management consists of blokes in thier 20's who think they are better than the rest of the staff and form their own little pact and get away with Murder!

They have no idea of what they are doing and little knowledge of cars, products or customer service.

Staff generally unhappy and always moan about how rubbish their job is.
A job not career
High expectations over targets.
No understanding when targets physically couldn’t be met.

Toxic management and staff relationships

Forced to resign as they didn’t want to accommodate for my hours around higher education
stressfull with no team work
i would avoid to work for halfords as its not customer focused which i have come across and if customer complaints to customer service then they're been treated with grudge afterwards.
Good overall
Good company to work for. Managers are very friendly as long as you do your job. A lot to get your head around. Computer systems are outdated and Halfords refuses to upgrade some stores even though they really need it. Customers will be okay most of the time but there is always that one guy. Mine is in a bad idea so I get the worst of it but overal the pay and hours are decent.
A Decent First Job
Started work here right out of GCSEs, pay was low but more than nothing, and there was room to grow hourly wage with training.
Taught me to serve customers and be polite in a professional setting which I am grateful for.

Management was not good to me, I was young, and did not know what to question / what was not good practice.

Staff were all friendly and pleasant people with the exception of the store manager.
No flexibility
Having worked there over a year i asked if i could have 1 Saturday a month of so i could spent a bit of time with my young family and was told straight out no. You are expected to work 52 Saturdays a year with 0 flexibility you work 10 hours a day and are lucky if you get to a dinner if you work in a busy centre (the dinner is unpaid and they will not pay you if you miss it or let you leave early) there have been occasions where the manager has ripped of customers to achieve bonus which I don’t agree with . If you have a family and want to see them then dont work here if you are single then and want to earn some ok money then it would be great
It's okay
Its a okay job if you dont have a life. They expect you to bent over backwards for minimum wage and do way beyond your pay grade. The management could of done abit to help out more, always short staffed and the rotas are rubbish. They guilt trip you if you dont cover shifts on your day off. All in all not the best place. Halfords only care about their profit
Great at first
The job is great all the time the manager likes you then if he turns against you, you find yourself being bullied out and looking for another job . Screening in your face to hurry up when you have just started a 2 day job . Shouting across the workshop I've been trying to get rid of you for ages . Finding a minus on your bonus review where the manager takes money away from but not from anyone else
Great place
Halfords is a great place to work. I would still be happy to be there if I was not changing my path. If I ever go back into engineering, I would go straight back there.
Very stressful
Poor pay for expected amount of work with unacheivable bonus pushed to reach ridiculous targets can’t have time off at certain times of the year no home life
Pros
It pays bills
Cons
To many to list
Awful
THIS IS THE WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER WORKED FOR!!!!!! I have previously worked in very similar roles and this was the absolute worst experience I have ever had. The training was disorganised and the trainers did not provide any type of helpful feedback. The employee environment was cliquey and the management were condescending, unsupportive and unhelpful. Despite the inadequate training there was an expectation to be perfect at the work,. I would not recommend this job to anybody.