Hackney Council

Hackney Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom75 reviews
Its a good organisation to work for as you will get a good work life balance. What I enjoyed the most is maximising savings for the client by carrying out site measurements and challenging contractor claims.
Pros
relaxed environment
The management is very poor. They are openly nepotistic and there is a lot of bullying going on. Prospects are very poor unless you are in with the right people.
no confidentiality, lack of professionalism, no support.

Middle management rude and exercise school ground mentality. Higher management lack interpersonal skills, professionalism, and seriously need to know how to dress appropriately particularly the female head. Do not work in this department!!!
I enjoyed working for Hackney council it was a shame we were made redundant and no other jobs within the council were available. Management were very supportive
Handling calls on a daily basis.

Management is good

The most enjoyable part about my job is speaking to residents and also being able to have my lovely colleagues during my work hours
Delivering meals to clients monday to sunday from 10.30am to 2pm.
How to deal with the public clients

The deliveries were proactive

Organised and worked together

Delivering meals in winter

Turing up on time and finishing on time

Communicating with everyone at work
Hackney council is a very diverse place to work. Ther are great career opportunities such as shadowing and getting a mentor. I woold reccomend this place.
it was OK though I would not work there again. My personality type does not suit local authority. It's too slow. Too many hoops to jump. Would suit people who can't or don't want to think outside the box
Pros
pay rate was higher than other authorities
Cons
usual public sector working in a silo attitude
Reviewed existing contracts and reporting systems as well as revised the KPI’s and introduced new procedures. Covered all areas of risk by performing a compliance audit and assured management of agreements by implemented of an operations manual. Examined structure and costs for the internal workforce and negotiated reductions on schedules as £28m over budget, reduced by £20m following a review of the use of the Schedules being applied.
Good energy , management are considerate and give good training. Flexible hours and benefits. Hackney embraces different cultures and diversity. Being a Hackney resident myself i enjoyed engaing with tenants and offering the best service possible.
They discriminated and fired me for having mental health conditions and having learning difficulites, i was bullied and berated by other members of staff, one of them put their hands on me and threatened to assult me and when i complained, they fired me and put the blame on me for being bullied. Alot of staff are bullies, racists, classist or homophobes, bullying is a huge problem at the council, they do their best to sweep that under the rug. I was sworn at by another member of staff from HR on my first day. My bike was stolen after the first week, no-one did anything to help and My manager was a selfish human being who hired me for the wrong reasons, to make her life easier, she had no intension of helping me grow in the company or to mentor me, which is all i needed and had no problem throwing me under the bus, when she wanted to be rid of me. The treatment i recieved as an apprentice was shocking and hurtful. No one cared or wanted to help me, not even the union, which is connected to them, i guess thats for a reason.
very good working place, staff are friendly and always willing to help.

management help with all training need

hardest part of the job is dealing with difficult customers and situations

job is rewarding as you are helping people in hackney and providing a service
fun and productive atmosphere to work. meeting various clients and insinuating conclusions to meet their needs on reception and updating information on the system. My experience at the time working at hackney council you had to adhere to to policy at all times in order to resolve many tenancy related cases and keep a log of all cases to ensure that all procedures were being met on time. As you are monitored on your performance on a weekly basis. keeping a good rapport with fellow staff members from different departments to gain essential information to resolve issues. Customer service adviser can be challenging as the work load can king increase rapidly you must ensure your organized and ensure your checking you work tray and inbox daily to keep on top of things. as Audits are being done to ensure we are adhering to the policy. and to prevent further complaints. I enjoyed meeting clients and resolving any issues they had on reception and completing processes on the system.. no day is the same, so everyday is a chance for you to learn new things
Pros
you work from 9-5pm and flexible working hours can apply
Cons
you may need to stay behind due to complex cases.
committed to support services and staff wellbeing. contracts change every 5 to seven years which dictates staff moving on . I enjoyed working in the temporary housing section .
Pros
committed to support services and staff wellbeing
Cons
contracts change every 5 to seven years
start work at 6am get all vehicles out
check all sweepers are in if not get agency replacements

check all rectifications and daily work is completed,

sign off rectifications see vehicles back to depot and check for any reported defects ,if yes refer to fitters.

replacing staff at last minute for cover is hardest part

most enjoyable part completing complex tasks.
Pros
company vehicle generous holidays good salary
Cons
pressure deadlines longs hours if required
As Area Manager of the markets team I was responsible for the maintaining and growing of the markets sector within Hackney.

It was a multifaceted role and very challenging.
Pros
no one day the same
The staff really work hard. I did not like the blame culture. Career development was not high up on their agenda.
A very customer focused.

A lot of task related training.

High quality customer service
My role involved enforcing the 1991 road traffic act, maintaining daily reports on (p.c.n) penalty charge notices issued. Producing reports on defective equipment and street furniture
As with all social and health care settings, it is of a very complex and challenging nature, where a typical day offering something different.
I have learnt and developed my social care skills, particularly in regards to risk assessments, care planning and intervention and the importance of being confidentiality and professionalism.

In- house training is provided to all employees which aid in job development. I also managed to study two degrees whilst working night duty and day duty for one year, which was a challenge in itself.

I believe that the hardest part of the job is that there is never enough hours in the day, despite how well you plan or prioritise your work. You have to be ready for anything!

The most enjoyable part of the job is when a service user says a thank you or you notice an improvement in their health and well-being.
Pros
Can walk to work
Cons
I work unsocial hours
It gave me the experience on how managing money works. It also taught me the responsibilities one has to take while in this position. I also gained skills such as using microsoft excel.
- Very fun with college or resident
- I learn everything included new experience

- The management be come ease for me and helpful

- We have different ethnicity from different place

- work under rain and cold

- Groups of work and training section
Pros
any
Cons
up to 8 hour