HSBC Employee Reviews for Relationship Manager

Found 30 reviews matching the search See all 10,964 reviews
Excellent in-house training provided by world class industry leader.
Commercial Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  North-West UK29 July 2018
Spent 10 years for this employer & very grateful of the excellent training & ongoing support received. This employment provided me the strong foundations & skills to build a successful career. Left to move to another country. Would highly recommend to others seeking employment within the sector.
After HSBC took over Midland an oppressive and bullying culture set in
Relationship Manager / IFA (Former Employee) –  Bangor23 January 2018
Early experience of working in Midland Bank was generally positive.

Management style was strict, but fair, and paternalistic.

Later, after HSBC took over, the style became oppressive and bullying. Targets were not agreed, but imposed.
Pros
Good training
Cons
Oppressive Management
broken promises
Premier Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Swansea13 December 2017
Constant broken promises ranging from immediate line manager to senior management.

Is it too much to do what you say you are going to do? If employees treated the employer with the disregard that the employer shows them then they would be dismissed.
Pros
security of working for a big company
Cons
no direction
Good salary package
Commercial Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Harrogate, North Yorkshire1 October 2017
I work here for 26 years firstly in a branch role undertaking tasks such as cashiering, customer advisor etc

The last 7 years my role was Commercial Manager looking after a portfolio of clients with turnover between £2m & £10m
Pros
Good pay, relationship with clients
Cons
Long hours, targets, stressful role
fun place to work
Premier Relationship Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London15 February 2017
cool good vibe staff are open and we share the same value.
sometimes it can be difficult to progress to a role.
the stress is there as we can feel it
Engaging Workplace
Premier Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire30 January 2017
A great company to work for, where there is great scope to achieve whatever career path you desire. There is always a course or progression avenues that you can enrol onto.
Relationship Manager (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire11 January 2017
Overall HSBC is a great place to work with some great people.

Good culture that rewards people prepared to get there head down and work hard.

Would recommend.
Fast paced learning curve
International Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow25 November 2016
Having worked at HSBC for over 12 years I enjoyed my time within the business and all the different skills and experiences I gained along the way.

Each day is different in the relationship management role which makes it interesting working with clients for a wide range of business sectors.

The main skills I developed over the years were;
Customer Service - Financial Analysis - Project Management - Negotiation Skills - Sales - Time Management - Building strong relationships through networking - Report writing to name a few.

Regardless of what level you are at colleagues share best practice and support each other where they can which helps with team morale.

The best part of the role is dealing with the SME clients and seeing first hand how your hard work and ideas are helping them grow their business and get to the next level.

The hardest part of the role is putting yourself first and by that I mean investing time into yourself rather than your customers.
Pros
Flexability
Cons
Never switch off
No job security
Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  London19 June 2016
Worked in commercial banking at HSBC. I must say that there were many many really good people in my team. The issues I had were two fold. Firstly, there was a feeling of little job security at the bank. Every other week there was an announcement about restructuring or tinkering around with the set up. I have never worked for an organisation where there is so much messing about with structures. Every time there was a meeting there was fear about redundancies. These fear came true in the end for many people. Secondly, there is an immense amount of politics within the organisation, especially higher up. I found a lot of this ego driven and quite immature at times. While the money is not bad, I would not recommend this organisation if you are looking for long term job security.
Pros
Good pension, many good people
Cons
Little job security, constant change, politics within the organisation
Large reputable organisation
Business Banking Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham10 June 2016
Working at HSBC enabled me to build an extensive professional network and develop skills which are adaptable to many industries. Extensive training was provided to assist with development and equip me with the ability to provide the quality advice to clients and a high level of service.
Pros
product range
Cons
Very professional company with good prospects and career opportunities.
Commercial Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  London25 May 2016
15 hugely successful years at HSBC. A very transparent and fair employer. Highly reccomended. A very global and ambitious bank.
Pros
Ambitious nemployer
Cons
Relationship Manager Business Banking (Current Employee) –  Cheshire Commercial Centre9 March 2016
I have worked in many positions within HSBC from Cashier to my current position of Business Banking Relationship Manager.

I enjoy the team work within branches and growing relationships with both business customers and connections.
Vibrant sector (SME Market) & strong international bank
Relationship Manager (Current Employee) –  London City21 January 2016
My role at HSBC is to manage a portfolio of trading businesses in the £2 - £8m turnover space. This is a vibrant and interesting market place to work in and I gain a good deal of satisfaction from helping clients grow their businesses. Having run a business myself, I also feel I am able to add real value and insight to what they are looking to achieve. Having spent 3 years in my role, I am looking for a new challenge using my skill set acquired over a number of past roles in and outside of banking.
Pros
Good benefit package and job security. Great international offering and well capitalised
Cons
Convoluted systems. Over regulated & becoming harder to do busines
Environment that is energetic and busy
Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  London19 January 2016
As an employer they are partially flexible but have very fixed expectations.

The daily work is varied and regularly requires you to prioritise work loads to ensure that you meet deadlines.

Constant state of change as a result of changing industry requirements and legislation, which keeps you on your toes.

Reasonable pay which in most cases are market equivalent.

Teams are great and colleagues are what you make of them. The bank attempts to foster an atmosphere of collaborative working and in most cases is successful.
Pros
Excellent employer to have on your CV
Cons
Hours are long and some managers have old fashion ideas about when you should leave/
Secured but Low paid!!!
Relationship Support Manager (Current Employee) –  London22 April 2015
-Every day work involves, KYC, AML, EDD and dealing with lending request from MME clients.
- In my current role I have learn a spectrum of things, including, Structured Trade and Receivable Finance, Credit and Risk lending process, Communicating effective all levels, Professional Writing, KYC, account opening, AML, EDD, Sanction and Onboarding processes.
-The hardest part of the job is to present a week lending case to our credit committee.
- The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting clients and providing needs based solution.
worst place to work ever
Relationship support Manager (Current Employee) –  London9 March 2015
"Good work life balance (but depending on role) is the only good thing about working there"

"There are very long hours which may possibly lead to a poor- work life balance I suppose

Little opportunity to move, long hours that are sometimes not necessary"
Pros
flexibility
Cons
Salary and employment benefits
Great Place to Work
Premier Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ENG23 June 2014
Looked after a portfolio of £110Mil. Had an opportunity to learn a lot whilst working at different positions.
HSBC Bank Plc was one of the best employers when I first started. In my opinion the lack of leadership & visionary at middle/higher management level affected the morale & culture very adversely specially during my latter years.

Work culture is just brilliant & the bank prides itself at doing the right thing for the customer. Strong Ethics.

The bank offers good benefit package & a decent salary however there is lot of difference between the salary ranges even for the employees of the same grade which I believe is unfair.

Despite of my little moan about the leadership, I would love to work for the the group again as I strongly believe that the bank will get the things right. The bottom line is that HSBC has & will always have a special place in my heart as it gave me a massive platform to learn & grow.
Pros
Good pension/ sharesave scheme
Cons
The bank in the past would conduct a research, try & then implement the changes but now they seem to follow Hit & Trial.
An enjoyable place to work
Premier Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  High Holborn21 May 2014
My day would consist of a morning meeting with stakeholders in the branch, so that we could plan our day & ensure we are set up for the day ahead. Meeting would normally have 20 to 25 people in it & all departments would have a say.

I would look at the appointments that I had booked in my diary & prepare all relevant information for these meetings. Then plan proactive telephone sessions between my appointments to make contact with clients within my portfolio to arrange meetings. These calls would also include contacting local businesses to introduce the services of the Bank & see if we can build a relationship to be a place of introduction for their employees.

We had great teamwork and all departments would be joined up, so that referrals would be made to the correct specialist.

The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting with people and being able to understand what is important to them & to try and provide possible solutions to help them achieve their goals. Also the people you work with. This made it a nice place to work.
Pros
Very good company benefits
Cons
Very challenging targets
Fun work environment with plenty of room to progess
Commercial Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Swansea, WLS28 April 2014
Great company and many opportunities to grow.

Met many people and was an environment to make a lot of new friends and young professionals.
Poor Corporate Culture
Premier Relationship Manager (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  North West28 January 2014
I managed a portfolio of 300 high network HSBC customers. I met with the customers to determine their needs and guide them into better products or services.
I also managed a branch for a period of two years. I enjoyed managing and had a great team. We were in the top quartile in overall performance in the UK.
Benefits
Cons
Poor Management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HSBC. Our community is ready to answer.

54.2K