HSBC Employee Reviews

Words fail me
manager (Former Employee) –  Canary Wharf, Greater London20 July 2018
Bullying,racism,sexism,ageism...it all goes on there!
Not sure where to start other than if a new joiner, young and with any sense joins they leave within 3 months! what does that tell you. All covered up by HR and senior managers!
Fantastic worklife balance. There are some great individuals who will push you forward
Delivery & Reporting Control Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London12 July 2018
HSBC has been the best financial institution I have worked for. Really good management in understanding family commitments and other things that happen outside of the office.
I would highly recommend working for HSBC.
Pros
Work-life balance
Cons
lack of recognition for individuals who go above and beyond the call of duty
Family run business
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester11 July 2018
Very frustrating time. Extremely difficult to progress as only family members and close friends seemed to be getting promotions, even without hitting sales targets. Promises were broken, some staff unfriendly. Constantly pressured for overtime, even though holiday is constantly rejected. Horrible experience.
Productive and fun place to work
Bank Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham10 July 2018
Using my transferable core skills as Manager I successfully carried out motivating the team and providing leadership to achieve targets for sales and marketing of bank products (commercial loans, insurance, credit cards, mortgages and consolidations) to maximise sales and revenues  Plan and deliver daily reviews and updates for sales and marketing. I promoted a culture all the team members worked as a team to achieve high levels of team targets consistently Achieved Bank Manager of the Year award winner and became a Member of the Excellence Council in HSBC Bank Group  Commended for developing such prosperous staff loyalty that not one employee on my team resigned over a 3-year period as Bank Manager
Pros
Fun, target and team work oriented
Complex and Hghly Visible Project for a 3rd party Client
Business Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee) –  London8 July 2018
I am not at liberty to discuss this project, or any of the issues incurred on this forum as it may be commercially sensitive and put me n breach of confidentially clauses in my contract.
bank with counter service
Lending Officer (Former Employee) –  various5 July 2018
cannot comment as left in excess of 15 years ago and in that time the banking branch network has totally changed from what I knew, and the company is completely different
Revolving Door
SENIOR OPERATIONS MANAGER (INTERIM) (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London5 July 2018
Going through significant change. Management do not understand the pressures they place on their staff. It's a culture of form of substance . It's all about reputation whatever the cost. There is a lot of dead wood in the organisation that has learnt how to thrive and play politics oustting the more capable collegiate staff to save their own skins.
Pros
Cons
Many - long hours, politics
Big but not bad
Market Operations manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 July 2018
Worked in market operations for 3 years. Work life is not that good, you have to graft, but culture was fairly supportive. Very different however from US firms in that it is less aggressive and generally positive.

Undergoing a lot of change with a slew of new senior management creating a more decisive, less product 'siloed' culture. They are also stream lining heavily with efforts to offshore where possible.

That said - I would recommend as a good place to work. Exposure to the many businesses under the HSBC umbrella in particular offers a lot of flexibility and opportunity.
Pros
Culture, Opportunity to cross businesses
Cons
Work life balance and they were late to the WFH culture
Avoid unless desperate for work
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire3 July 2018
I worked here for quite a while and found that the only way to progress was to brown nose, which I couldn't ever do. Most managers think they are something special when in reality they are managers of a very small team in a call centre.

The work itself is very easy but repetitive. You are expected to take call after call after call. It's truly awful.

The place is a modern day factory and I would never in a million years ever want to work here again.

I have heard that they are desperate for staff as most people join and leave very quickly as it's such a poor place to work.

Also, the place is filthy!
Pros
None unfortunately
Cons
Too many to list
Good career paths available
Manager (Current Employee) –  Hampshire2 July 2018
Depending on your location or willingness to relocate there are many good career paths you can take in HSBC. It also has employee benefits and a very good pension plan which they contribute to for you matching your contribution to a % and then their statutory amount on top.
Good Entry to 9 to 5
Cashier (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London2 July 2018
as a college leaver it was a good start to working life. however when trying to advance management fail to support. more interested in people in higher roles than cashier
sales driven
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Manchester2 July 2018
whilst working at HSBC i enjoyed the challenge of helping customers but felt that the role very quickly developed into a sales driven role and felt that was their main focus
Pros
discounted financial products
Cons
too sales driven
Overworked and underpaid
Credit officer (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire27 June 2018
Used to be a brilliant place to work for but they have taken away alot of the employee benefits and bonuses and are making alot of people redundant. The CEOs do not care about the frontline staff and reduce the bonus payments each year despite the bank masking significant profits. They continue to still take their huge million pound plus bonuses yet don't reward the staff for the hard work they put in to increase the profits the bank makes. Most departments are being shut down and moved to Birmingham, which results in staff having to take redundancy, relocating or finding a job elsewhere as many people have families.
Pros
Employee perks website for some discounts
Cons
No structure, dont treat people fairly despite using this as one of their mottos
Recommend HSBC
Implementation Project Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London25 June 2018
Recommend as a employer, support flexible working style and diversity. offer various life style benefits and competitive other benefits. excellent scope of growth for graduates.
Avoid
Telesales (Former Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea20 June 2018
Mo flexibility or understanding when it came to family or difficult personal cicumstances. management were poor in any support capacity. due to this did not enjoy any part of the job.
Productive and fun place to work
Reward Analyst (various teams) (Former Employee) –  Canary Wharf, Greater London19 June 2018
I was lucky to have excellent relationships with my colleagues and managers which allowed me to stay at HSBC for so many years as a contractor whilst moving across different teams allowing me to expand my experience.

The hardest part of the job was the shared frustration (amongst colleagues and management due to share volume of data being handled resulting in slower systems and turn around times.
Pros
Environment, working relationships, working from home
Cons
Lack of desks could be very frustrating
Customer Service Officer
Senior Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Cornwall16 June 2018
open bank accounts, savings account, credit cards, personal loans, quote on mortgages.
cashier when there aren't enough staff in branch.
good if you like working with the public
Cons
rubbish bonus. branch closure
Not the best place to work !
Complaints Handler (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol14 June 2018
Have worked for HSBC business review center in Bristol in the PPI project for six months. Since I started I have seen so many people coming and going. There is no job security at all. To them, you are just a number, not a person. They make sure that they squeeze out as much from you as possible by giving you unrealistic targets. There's not enough training as well. What is sad is that it did not have to be like this, they could simply treat people more fairly and make a better working environment! Instead it seemed like they want to put as much stress on you as they can. I personally don't recommend anyone to the PPI complaint handler role at HSBC.
Pros
Wages are ok
Cons
Unrealistic targets, senior management don't seem to know or care about the workers, lack of support, no Job security!
Rewarding place of work
Senior Privacy Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  London13 June 2018
I enjoy the challenge of the role at HSBC it is a relaxed place of work with manageable challenges and attainable goals. There are numerous opportunities within this organisation
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere
Cons
Political
Horrible place to work
Serving customers on the till as a cashier (Former Employee) –  Paddington12 June 2018
The management were awful, really mistreated colleagues, were only out for themselves. the only good thing about the place was colleagues who were not management, they were all brilliant to work with and disliked the management equally.
Cons
long unpaid hours, bad managers, lack of career progression

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HSBC. Our community is ready to answer.

53.9K