HSBC Employee Reviews

Found 1,235 reviews matching the search See all 11,753 reviews
Worst Company to have worked for
Senior Portfolio Associate (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London23 April 2019
Very hard to see beyond the workplace culture - total lack of professionalism and non-PC laddish attitudes. A lot of lazy workers made worse by non-confrontational managers who simply do not monitor, control or discipline staff members at the detriment of the business and work turnaround ratios.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Lack of management support
Great company
United Kingdom - Compass Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Canary Wharf, Greater London18 April 2019
I have really enjoyed my time working at HSBC, it is a great company and I have learnt a lot working there. I worked there for 9 years and have felt appreciated.
Do not recommend!! Avoid avoid avoid!!!
JLFS Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Birmingham City Centre, West Midlands17 April 2019
JLFS and its management are by far the worst business area in HSBC! They DO NOT care about call centre staff and will do whatever it takes to catch people out, resulting in HR cases and dismissals. The salary is peanuts in comparison to the job role. I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy. Managers are just pathetic and don't have a clue about how to use the systems. Holidays are hard to get approved which results in many hours being left towards the end of they year; and if we don't use all of our holiday hours (which is hard to get approved as it is) then we lose them! Not allowed to have them transferred to the next year, or at least be given until the end of Jan/Feb to use the remaining hours!
Management couldn't care any less about a person's personal/family circumstances even if they are carers or have children. It's all about the business, we have to sacrifice our lives outside of work and make sure the call centre is our number 1 priority. It's not uncommon for a person to go off on long term sickness due to the stress of the place, so don't be surprised!! After all, we are just a number and the business will just keep churning out new staff.
We get told to come in at least 15 minutes before our shift to set up the systems and sign in to the phone; these 15 minutes over 5 days equate to 1 hour and 15 minutes, which we DO NOT get paid for. Whereas for managers it's fine for them to stroll in 30 seconds before their shift.
The staff turnaround in this place is ridiculous!! They can't keep a good advisor for longer than a year, just goes to show how poor
  more... this business area is. There is ZERO progression too, if you want to further your career then JLFS really isn't the place. The amount of favoritism in the call centre is just horrendous; managers really have the audacity to use a person and then throw them in the corner as if they never existed. We even get told off for making notes on account after a customer call or sending an email to investigate a customer's query... which we have to do because we get marked every month!!
There are people who have been in the call centre for years, but they're kept in the dark, managers don't care about them, and they've never been given the opportunity to do something around the call centre such as train/supervise new staff. If anything, they managers would love for them to just leave.
There are many other banks and companies with similar roles and better pay, I can guarantee that any of those places will be a million times better than JLFS!
Pros
Casual dress code
Cons
Everything.
Awful Place to Work, would not recommend!!!!!
Universal Banker (Former Employee) –  South West15 April 2019
I worked In branch as a Universal Banker, it was horrible!!! The job is fine, nice to speak with customers on a daily basis and help them with what they came in for. The management however, is very very poor.

My colleagues were amazing and so friendly, which made it even harder to see them deteriorate due to managers who would bully them/ put them under so much stress they would eventually be signed off work.

All they care about is pushing everyone to reach stupidly high targets (oops did I just say targets... sorry ‘expectations’) which are impossible to achieve. Every day started with a negative meeting on how badly we were doing, after which we all had to stand in a circle and tell the group how we were feeling that day (had to be positive or we were dragged into an hour long meeting where our personal lives were divulged and then gossiped about).

Managers have favourites, which they will feed outcomes to. I never felt valued which is funny as that’s one of their main priorities. After a busy day we never got a ‘thank you’ only- you can do better!!!

This place literally sucked all motivation/ confidence out of me and leaving was the best thing I ever did. Please, please, please don’t apply here, you will regret it!
Pros
Colleagues are soo lovely & friendly
Cons
Managers are bully’s & don’t know how to do their job, Pay is rubbish for the amount you have to put up with, Do at least an hour extra everyday without pay/ even a thank you!
Made me who i am today
Commercial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands9 April 2019
HSBC gave me the knowledge of banking and learnt everything about my trade with the organisation.

I would work for HSBC in a heartbeat, without needing to think about it.

Best organisation!
Fun place to work
Project Coordinator/business analyst (Former Employee) –  Canary Wharf, Greater London9 April 2019
Great place to work, worked with some fantastic people and free coffee on all the floors was a nice plus. Fantastic surrounding views of the city and the river.
Great work/home life balance
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire8 April 2019
No loyalty to staff. Happy to employ temporary workers than to keep permanent staff on. Have to input a code everytime you need to go to toilet or get s drink, not allowed to talk - that is what break time is for - yet not allowed to take breaks with colleagues either.

hours/shifts to suit family needs, great sports & social club
Pros
sports & social club
Cons
treat like children
Productive Workplace
Chief Control Office -Business Services (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London8 April 2019
HSBC is a good experience which has allowed me to grow within my career. I have worked in different capacities across the Bank. This has given me the ability to strengthen my People Management skills as well as my Project management skills.
Pros
Good opportunity for career growth
Cons
Worked in multiple departments, some better than others.
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London5 April 2019
Learnt most of my skills here, IT, telephone techniques, organisational skills etc. Good training and very good IT systems. The pinnacle of high standards, work hard, play hard.
Pros
Good salary & bonuses, interesting work, good opportunities for career progression, great pension scheme
Great Place to Work
Senior Agile Business Analyst (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London21 March 2019
Great environment to work in, friendly management, hard working colleagues and good salary/benefits.

Don;t know too much about being a perm but I hear management salaries are quiet good.
Pros
good management
Cons
odd choice of vendors
Very good team and promote good work ethic with everyone.
Customer Service Adviser (Former Employee) –  Canary Wharf, Greater London20 March 2019
Day to day dealing with customers demands internal and external making sure everything runs smoothly. from contractors to IT. Hardest part of the job is trying to please everyone on a day to day basis. learned to always work hard and keep going even when the day is tough and things are not going you're way. Management can be very good and understanding your needs and so forth.
Pros
Opportunities to meet senior staff members
Cons
no rewards no bonus schemes at all lack of promotion.
Complaints handing
Phone Operator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands20 March 2019
Great atmosphere in the contact centre but long shifts of complaints handing. Great in depth training and a youthful office environment. A great place to start out in the sector.
Pros
In depth training
Cons
Humans are bad with money
Nice people, good workspace and enjoyable
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Reading13 March 2019
Shadowing all of the roles within a commercial high street bank, everything from wealth management and investment to customer service and fraud protection roles.
I learned about the banking industry as a whole during my time working here including the different sectors and how job progression works within HSBC.
Workplace culture is very nice, quite relaxed, definitely one of the better 9-5 work environments.
Most enjoyable part of the job is emphasis on the team work and members of staff viewed more like a family.
HSBC Bristol Complaint handler (contractor)
Complaint Handler (Former Employee) –  Bristol10 March 2019
I have worked as a complaint handler in Bristol for six months. I desperately needed to move from my old job onto a new one so I accepted a contracting position as a complaint handler. Pros: free coffee and water, central new open office, quite helpful ok managers overall, you can take holiday when you want as they are not paid, the wage was ok, the job was quite interesting, flexi time Cons: unpaid holidays, unrealistic targets up to the point that you have to pull in many unpaid hours, insufficient training to do everything they want you to, senior manager does not care and does not even say hi to you after they called out a meeting to 'get to know you', no real career progression, good effort is not rewarded and bad behaviour is not always punished depending on the person. Feedback can be overwhelming sometimes. You have to take 2 weeks compulsory unpaid leave as HSBC policy which is not mentioned during the recruitment process. You have to do their training despite not being considered a member of staff.

As I worked as a contractor my experience might have been different than the one of an actual HSBC employee. Overall, if that was my first job it would have been ok. However I believe it is quite a frustrating job if you have had full time jobs before, especially as career progressions are not really possible for a contractor. During my time there I saw so many people leaving either to a new job or because they were fired

The job was quite interesting but I had to leave as I was doing too much overtime.
Pros
Free coffee and water, central new open office, can take holidays when you want, flexi time depending on department, quite interesting job
Cons
unpaid holidays, targets and unpaid hours, insufficient training, senior manager does not even say hi to you after they called out a meeting to 'get to know you', no real career progression, good effort is not rewarded and bad behaviour is not always punished, feedback can be overwhelming, 2 weeks compulsory unpaid leave as HSBC policy, you have to do their training despite not being considered a member of the staff
work experience
Devops Engineer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London6 March 2019
Having 12 years of devops experience in CI, CD, cloud, datacenter, containerisation, monitoring experience
Awesome work place and excellent team work
Happy to be part of it
Sell, sell, sell
Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, South Lanarkshire6 March 2019
Whatever they say at the recruitment stage about customer service, this is a sales job pure and simple. The systems are not fit for purpose, the training to sell is non-existent, but you are expected to mine every opportunity to sell poor quality products to customers. The money is good, there is free parking, but you will not enjoy any moment that you sit in that chair.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Selling
Hard work but well rewarded
Document Production Specialist (Former Employee) –  London5 March 2019
I cannot speak for the company as a whole but the team/department I was in was a decent place to work. My manager was friendly and supportive and always tried to find ways to keep me with the company. The hours were long as we were implementing a new style for the financial reports but we got free dinner and a cab ride home for our efforts. The hardest parts were some of the people in the team didn't pull their weight and were challenging to deal with. The most enjoyable part was learning a new program and the satisfaction of a job well done when the reports were published.
Pros
Canteen at work, free dinner and cab home for long hours
Avoid
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London25 February 2019
Avoid working for hsbc. Pay and bonuses used to be great... now your lucky to get £100 bonus for maximum stress all year. Those at the top set these ‘expectations’ with absolutley no idea of what working in the branch actually entails. There’s so much pressure these days and now with scanning in branches there’s just no time to do what needs to be done.
Managers don’t care, leaving branches on minimum staff and putting security and safety at risk
Staff morale is the lowest it’s ever been
Everybody is so stressed there’s no considerations for staff health and well being
You try and report concerns and they fall on deaf ears or you get penalised for trying to do the right thing
Pros
Annual leave
Cons
Salary, bonus, management, pressure, sales
Business Analyst/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  London20 February 2019
Never the same, always learning and working alongside intelligent and hardworking individuals. Very large company with many opportunities to grow and network.
Ridiculous place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands17 February 2019
Hated my experience working for hsbc the management are awful all do nothing there’s a lot of favouritism. When you need time off you do not get it managers go through your phone when you tel them you have a family emergency to see if your lying or not, no progression at all get treated as if your in school as you are always being monitored. Not very cultural at all you might also need to work on your wedding day too lol! horrible place to work would never recommend working here
Pros
Cons
Horrible place poor management long hours poor pay