HSBC Employee Reviews

Great place to start in risk
Customer Due Diligence Manager (Current Employee) –  Greater London15 September 2018
They will teach you all the basic's but its hard to progress, many will leave after 18 months to join other financial companies which is a shame but happens due to lack of progression.
Energetic and productive
Premier Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands12 September 2018
Managing a portfolio of around 1000 customers, who have high net wealth needs.
Tailoring my service to suit their needs.
Strong culture, citizenship very important and we are supported to take time out to support the community.
Busy working day completing introduction calls, customer reviews, dealing with queries, making referrals.
Pros
Community days
Cons
late hours
Hsbc
Property Claims Technician (Former Employee) –  London, Central11 September 2018
This company is no longer active, so it seems rather redundant to review it. However, at the time I was with them, the working environment was not very pleasant. They did not have a good understanding of working with disabled people.
Pros
good pay
Cons
lack of awareness for disabled employee
Structured and efficient
Criminal Remediation analyst (Former Employee) –  Birmingham10 September 2018
A typical day involved analyzing whether or not our customer was linked to articles detailing crimes. Through this role I learnt about ring-fenced banking and the lines of defense a bank has in place to avoid and deter money laundering. My team was great and we were encouraged to support each other and discuss cases to ensure the customer was assessed quickly and accurately.
Pros
regular team meetings and personal progress meetings, flexible hours
Cons
temporary
Great company
Sales and Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Charing Cross8 September 2018
great place to work. good work life balance, job culture is good. flexible, management team are open, reasonable. Great opportunity to move up the career ladder.
HRS Collections Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands8 September 2018
Brillant company to work for. Has all the qualities and the facilities to develop.
The management are always helpful and supportive
Place and culture is great to be around
amazing to be around the team and the working environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Walthamstow, Greater London8 September 2018
If you want to progress there are opportunities available to staff as a prime example I have been with the company since 1984 from a typist to secretarial.
Pros
Uniform
Cons
Outdated systems
Fast paced busy fun enviroment
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea6 September 2018
I have been very happy in this employment. Its a fast paced busy working environment. excellent opportunities for young people wanting a Financial career.
Pros
Benefits, Bonus, perks Friendships
Happy to work here
Senior Project Manager (Contract) (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London6 September 2018
good culture and people. good flexibility and drive.
happy to take another contract here. Learnt a lot and was able to expand on my skill set and knowledge base.
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Middlesex5 September 2018
No proper training provided, in fact, the training days had nothing practical that you would use in your day to day customer service experience. The software was the hardest and most non-user friendly.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Targets to reach every day
Don't get stuck
Senior Customer Services Officer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London31 August 2018
I did my tenure within the Retail Banking and Wealth Management side of HSBC and like any other customer facing retail banking role, it can be quite stressful if you're not the type that can hold a good conversation with people, and the pressure to "sell" products to meet your weekly "aspirations" is felt throughout the retail side.

If you can look pass the numbers, colleagues are usually quite friendly and welcoming (but I guess that varies from branch to branch). It does provide stability and with any other job, work hard enough, make good impressions, network at any given chance and know your stuff, progression is typically encouraged by your manager.

Management is basically pot luck. Depending on who they are and how well you get along with them, plus your ability to actually do the work will overall determine how your working life would be until you or they move on. However from personal experience, i've been lucky to some extent and had some grate managers to work for, however their decision making skills and reasoning does raise more questions than answers.

Overall, HSBC retail banking is fairly easy to do and grasp. Salary is not as high as some other competitors but the benefits are decent.
Pros
Good amount of holidays
Cons
shift work, low salary
Good benefits, poor management
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Bond Street Station29 August 2018
I was able to complete a banking certification which the company paid for for me and was also able to get promoted in approx. one year's time. The Bank also gives thorough training so you feel confident before starting your role.
The company overall is good place to work in, in terms of benefits and development, however retail staff are treated like school children where every step is questioned and controlled.
Although it is not verbally expressed, management is very sales/numbers driven.
Great Company to work for
Case Handler (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh24 August 2018
HSBC are a great company to work for an have amazing benefits if you are a permanent member of staff. I would recommend working with them. I have worked with them for over 10 years which i have enjoyed so much.

Now looking to further my career in the financial services industry
Good experience, not enough available progression
Risk Prioritisation Officer (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh13 August 2018
Good experiences within the company and given a lot of responsibility if you work hard and show you are reliable.
Unfortunately with HSBC UK Hub being based in Birmingham there are limited opportunities to progress within the bank staying in Scotland. Annual increase has reduced drastically along with bonus but as this is not mandatory this is to be expected with the economy.
Pros
kitchen facility, annual volunteer day, considerate working hours
Cons
Redued progression oppertunity, salarry, personal development
Work Experience student in Harrogate
Work Experience Student (Former Employee) –  Harrogate12 August 2018
• Shadowing employees throughout the Harrogate branch and learning about how to interact with customers when dealing with personal finance
• Developing my understanding of corporate environments
• Doing research on student finance accounts at other banks and doing a fifteen-minute presentation to my manager based on the results
• Summarising the experience and key parts that I learnt whilst I was there in a 700 word essay.
Ok
Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sheffield1 August 2018
I enjoyed most of the time that I worked there, but towards the end I became somewhat disillusioned. That was more to do with me, rather than my employer. The people were mostly fine, most of the time.
Excellent in-house training provided by world class industry leader.
Commercial Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  North-West UK29 July 2018
Spent 10 years for this employer & very grateful of the excellent training & ongoing support received. This employment provided me the strong foundations & skills to build a successful career. Left to move to another country. Would highly recommend to others seeking employment within the sector.
Very social and fast paced
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh28 July 2018
A typical day would be fast paced, constantly working with little break. Workplace culture and management is very relaxed, just reviewing your work once a week.

The job was brilliant for meeting new people as people come and go all the time.
Hsbc
UK Head of Customer Strategy (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London23 July 2018
HSBC are a great company to work for with an excellent work-life balance. Plenty of career opportunities though unfortunately caught up in a world of red tape!
Words fail me
manager (Former Employee) –  Canary Wharf, Greater London20 July 2018
Bullying,racism,sexism,ageism...it all goes on there!
Not sure where to start other than if a new joiner, young and with any sense joins they leave within 3 months! what does that tell you. All covered up by HR and senior managers!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HSBC. Our community is ready to answer.

54K