H Samuel Employee Reviews

Fun and challenging place to work.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Northamptonshire20 July 2018
Working at H Samuel was always interesting and challenging because it gave me the opportunity to engage with different types of people every shift, as well as push myself to improve my performance with regards to sales targets.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Can be stressful
productive and dun working place
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes14 July 2018
i have had an amazing experiance working for H.Samuels. I have made friendships to keep for a life time.My time at H.Samuels has been very awarding but its time for a change to use my skills and knowledge somewhere else.
Pros
commission, awards
more interactive retail job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Epsom14 June 2018
Good job, more interactive than the standard retail sales job and really enjoyed doing the repairs and finding out how jewellery/watches are made. Hardest part is sometimes having to deal with difficult customers.
Pros
discount
Cons
difficult customers sometimes
Fun work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peterhead, Aberdeenshire7 June 2018
Was interesting to learn about the different items of jewellery in the store. This helped a lot when interacting with the customers. It was good to meet the customers needs and wants.
Pros
good working hours
Cons
not that busy
Team sprit
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheerness, Kent6 June 2018
Close nit team, local reppor built up, fun when busy Christmas is a good atmosphere, ideal hours for me/, good skills learnt and confidence built up instore
Pros
Discount
Cons
Not family friemdly
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, Wiltshire20 May 2018
I learned a lot throughout my time at H Samuel, including good communication skills and how to work effectively as a team.
The management was good and it was an enjoyable place to work.
The hardest part of the job was initially starting as there is a lot to know about jewelry, however i loved learning and the knowledge you gain after working there for so long is amazing!
Competitive environment for comission
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside14 May 2018
Great opportunity to earn more. Would love to work back here but online exam is confusing. Great team environment and nice easy job no taking home your work.
Pros
Close to my home and comission
Cons
Salary
fun, proactive, friendly work place.
sales advisor (Current Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset30 April 2018
I really enjoy my role here the company is a great company to work for the benefits are great . the team I'm part of are amazing. there is a very strong since of comrade between stores as well. very supportive and understanding. they make allowances for difficulties and disabilities. lots of advancement opportunities.
Pros
great benifits, good salery, lots of oppertunities, discount.
Cons
not always consistant hours.
Knowledgeable and very full on!
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, Lincolnshire26 April 2018
I worked at H.Samuel as a Christmas temp, I was employed for a total of 3 months. And in those three months I learned so much! Only being 18 I had worked in admin before and it was a whole new world to me. It is very different to your average retailer. You have targets you MUST reach and you have to act a certain way to customers. You have to greet every customer that walks through the door, and you have to be the biggest brown nose (sorry!) in the world, there’s so much you have to learn about jewellery, management was good but the whole thing was very tedious. If you don’t hit targets you will be in trouble, and the targets were impossible to reach! Pay was ok, 7.50 minimum wage. I’d say this job is good for adults because there’s a lot of responsibility and as far as I’m aware part time is a no no!
Pros
Occasional 4 hour shift, lovely atmosphere
Cons
Difficult customers, jewellery cleaning
Highly demanding role for part-time job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  East England11 March 2018
For a student looking for a part time job while at college, I would advise against having a job here. While the pay for a teenager is higher than in other retail jobs, the role is very demanding with lots of training needed to be done at home and lots of processes learnt, which is difficult to do unless you do a considerable amount of hours.

You do learn how to sell effectively and deal with some great products, however targets set tend to be high, which again isn’t always easy to achieve and make up when you don’t do as many hours, especially when you consider that footfall is considerably lower now due to the pressures in the retail market, something that in my experience my manager failed to appreciate. As footfall was low, shifts would be particularly dull once all cleaning roles would be done and thre was nothing more to do, but wait for customers. Commission is available, however this was never given, again due to the high targets. The various staff incentives however where enjoyable. As Sales Associates, we were expected to follow a script with each customer which I found made each interaction awkward and reduced the ‘personal’ element, but when we were mystery shopped we were judged on this script, so it was something we had to follow.

If you have a keen interest in jewellery and watches and are able to commit time and effort to do all necessary training then I have no doubt this would be a good company to work for, with training and progression in place, however if you are looking for a retail job while at school or on the side as I was or indeed a professional
  more... sales role, then I would look elsewhere.  less
Pros
Staff Incentives
Cons
Low footfall meant few customers; high amounts of training required
not easy
Assistant Manager (Fulltime) (Former Employee) –  stratford9 March 2018
managers only care about sale performance due to pressure from above. extremely money driven and a lot of internal staff issues. low pay and benefits.
fun and rewarding workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grantham, Lincolnshire11 February 2018
every day we were able to work towards bonuses, which really boosted morale. The management was great always helpful. The hardest part of the job was being on my feet, as after 3.5 hours I was starting to ache, but I was heavily pregnant at the time and only worked 4 hours a day.
Friendly staff, lovely customers
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex1 February 2018
In my time at HS i had many happy years and some not always so happy. I worked in a few branches and learned alot in all of them.
I would reccomend HS
Pros
1 hr lunch break
Cons
Management structure
Fun place to work
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Preston31 January 2018
Was a good atmosphere and the team was great to work with. Within this role I learned how to use a till and also learned great customer service skills and made sure that everything was clean and safe.
Enjoyable job
Sale Assistant (Former Employee) –  King's Lynn31 January 2018
A lovely job role, lots of training provided and support. Targets can be demanding but overall efforts are noticed and appreciated. Incentives are often used to encourage workers and this generally does work. I enjoyed my five years part time at H.Samuel and left to following a teaching career.
Pros
good incentives, hard work is recognized.
Cons
Pay ins't great.
Amazing place to work
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  London22 January 2018
Especially the Beckton store - the manager is fantastic and great team. work ethic is great and the opportunity to engage in customer sales is satisfying.
stressful
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  leeds briggate14 January 2018
Beautiful jewellery wonderful helpful and encouraging staff. Not enough time to train properly as store very busy,manager found fault from day one and critical in every thing I did . I over heard her being inappropriate to customers on several occasions. I was the second member of staff to leave in one week
Pros
lovely colleagues
Cons
too stressful
Customer Service skills
Senior Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire7 January 2018
Dealing with customers and making sure they are served on time and have got everything they need. Good Customer service skills are needed when you work in retail.
Loved the job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire1 January 2018
Excellent place to work. Lovely people to work with and always felt appreciated. Nice to be able to engage with customers face to face and build rapport.
Too demanding
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim14 December 2017
For a young person trying to start off in retail this is not the place. With very little experience I joined this company. Head office asked alot from the workers in the shops. Making sure that we hit certain targets, targets that is almost impossible to hit as not many people come into the shop to purchase expensive jewellery. You are grinder for selling premier care which is also a hit or miss situation as not everyone will take it. However regardless of these factors it is all blamed on you saying that you aren't working hard enough when I worked as well as I could for a job like that. The hours where terrible. When working there I suffered with the worst hours possible, I had to work all lates and shifts that ran from 1 to 9 which leaves very little room to do anything. As a young person I would rather work early mornings and have the evening to my past times, especially going out with friends. However it was almost like it was never considered and if you have been working there longer you got privileges that us new employees never got. The only think I can take away from this place is experience to hopefully help me find a better job that actually doesn't give me as little free time as possible. I plan to leave this place soon and find a better job. The last time I will work here, ever.
Pros
Decent pay for a young person
Cons
Horrible hours