H&M Employee Reviews

Too Long Ago
Retail Assistant (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth14 May 2018
Fun job having left school, Money was terrible but my colleagues were great. Mangers don't seem like fun when you're 18, but maybe they were ok really.
Nice staff
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Embankment Station14 May 2018
Work hours are usually all over the place. There’s never a structured routine. This makes it difficult to balance work life and personal life. The pay was alright with the benefits. Managers were ok some were extremely rude which lowered motivation of some staff.
Cons
Very long hours
Fast and Fun
Accessories Responsible (Former Employee) –  Bristol13 May 2018
With the right work ethic you could move up the ranks incredibly quickly, and were supported all the way. It was a little chaos at times, but that's expected with city centre retail really!
nice workplace with decent hours
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Stockport, Greater Manchester and Leeds13 May 2018
I was a part time member of staff but in busy times of year like summer and Christmas there was always a chance to work lots of overtime. the management were really nice especially when I worked in Leeds before the store got closed down. Everyones really friendly and you do have a sense of community working there. there is no uniform allowance but you do get good discounts and the occasional friends and family discount.
Pros
discount
Cons
being made redundant
Productive and fun place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Oxford Street, Greater London6 May 2018
Its really good to work in an environment with freedom to be yourself and feel confident in the way you act and learn every day, a typical day at work we manage to have a lot of persons in the store so we try our best to give the best costumer service, the hardest part its when we dont have enough personal,
Great place with a great atmosphere
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds2 May 2018
H&M Leeds was an amazing place to work. The staff were always friendly and welcoming to each other and new starters, management were so kind would always do what they could for you in terms of switching shifts and sorting out holidays. Discount is 25% which is decent but not a lot compared to when they often do 20% student and club discount. The store is constantly busy and the days are fast paced with long hours but due to the great staff it was always fun, with management often stocking up on food and drink for the staff room when it was a particularly hard shift. Customers were often rude and impatient, especially when busy, but management were always there to listen and help when it wasn't your fault. Towards the end of my contract there was no overtime going which caused me to leave as I needed more hours and money. Would highly recommend the company to anyone.
Pros
Amazing staff
worse on the inside
DM (Former Employee) –  Enfield, Greater London29 April 2018
gossiping, immaturity, collapsing tiles with sewage leaking on shop floor and told to stay open despite the smell being bad and more than likely unsanitary
Don't bother
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Basildon, Essex27 April 2018
Never mention that you can work any day, they will throw so many hours at you and expect you to drop everything for them. No work/life balance at all.

Favouritism and abuse of power is more common than you'd like to believe, cannot speak to management seriously if you are struggling as they all defend their laziness and incompetence when there is no excuse for it.

Even when you've only worked there for a short period of time, you are expected to run the tills, clear delivery and tidy the fitting rooms alone due to lack of staff, then they get angry with you when it isn't done in time because the store got busy.

Visual merchandisers are rude and quite frankly vile to work with, very quick to pull you up on any mistakes you made, but also blame their mistakes on other people, and management do nothing about this.

Cannot socialise with staff either as you will get separated and treated like you are back at school.

I would honestly not recommend this job to anyone, there is far better out there that will treat you with some respect.

The only "good things" I can say about the company is the discount, dress code and lunches. But other than that I would steer clear if you can.

Other stores may be different, but from my experience, I will definitely NOT be working here again.
Pros
1 hour lunch, wear own clothes, 25% discount
Cons
Long hours, treated like dirt, favouritism, management.
Bad and soul destroying.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex26 April 2018
Well they say working in retail is the worse. Now I know why. Horrible customers. Always busy. Long hours. And just full of rude and lazy female staff who bully.
busy workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London24 April 2018
the management give good training and you have to be yourself and respect others for who they are. H/M diversity makes the staff strong, and creates an inclusive and welcoming workplace where everyone’s individuality is highly valued. Because when a great mix of people come together and share their knowledge, experience and ideas, we can inspire and attract customers all over the world.
Pros
25% discount for all staff
Very busy workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol16 April 2018
It can be very hectic on a weekend but that's to be expected. The job is easy enough to pick up, but the high staff turnover can be frustrating. Managers are for the most part very friendly, and get stuck in on the shop floor.
Pros
staff discount
hnm
warehouse operative (Former Employee) –  Winsford12 April 2018
This would be interesting and I enjoyed it.
the managers and staff were quiet friendly and helpful
I enjoyed hnm when the good staff would get praised and treated with a gift.
Pros
working with colleagues
Cons
having cold lunches.
Hard but nice job/environment.
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  White City and Croydon11 April 2018
Working in retail I have learnt and acquire knowledge in customer service, fashion knowledge, teamwork and to have a good organisational skills.
From when you start the day to the end you have to do many different tasks like processing the delivery, clearing the garments/accessories, attending customers both on the shop floor or at the till, keeping everything tidy...
The managers are always polite and friendly and it is very easy to get along with them.
The hardest part of the job is when we there are not enough staff. This imply more stress, to have to work faster and sometimes unhappy customers.
From my point of view is a fantastic work to develop good skills and very nice people.
Ambiente de trabajo ameno
Responsable de logística (Former Employee) –  East Sussex10 April 2018
Excelente ambiente de trabajo, y gran flexibilidad en los horarios, lo que me permitió atender a las clases del Master que estaba cursando.
Hard Working
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 April 2018
H&M was a fun place to work however I found the managers were very disorganised.
The pay was good however I was required to work difficult shifts which changed every week.
Pros
High Pay
Cons
Long Hours
Pretty good
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh4 April 2018
H&M is a fairly agreeable place to work, with plenty of opportunity for advancement and amazing pay. You'll spend the day as a first line agent taking calls and answering emails from customers. It can either be incredibly quiet or totally dead, there doesn't seem to be much in between.

In terms of sickness it's a fairly standard procedure and you won't be paid for sickness within your probation, as is to be expected. Your Team Leader is very hands on with your team and will contact you to catch up if you're not in. There's plenty of chance to give feedback to anyone and everyone, no matter their position in the workplace.

There's a lot of training which is good because you will hopefully be confident in what you have to do when the customers are on the phone. Plus there is plenty of support if you do get stuck.

Overall a really good place to work by call centre standards.
Nice environment
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Wembley4 April 2018
When you work with h&m you will be part of leading change towards a sustainable future and you'll be sure to meet good friends along the way, i enjoyed working there.
Pros
discount on lunch
Cons
Almost minimum wage. Always busy.
Warehouse Operative and Forklift Driver (Current Employee) –  Rugby, Warwickshire31 March 2018
Almost minimum wages. Always busy environment. Lack of opportunities to delelop yourself. Working weekands. Free coffee. Unpaid lunch break. Payment every second week.
Pros
Free cofee
Cons
Low wages
Fun and Exciting
Styling Assistant (Former Employee) –  London28 March 2018
Lots of fun and very supportive team. Great opportunities to learn and progress. Good pay. Long hours and pressured work, but supportive team made it fun and exciting.
Productive and fun workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  St Helens28 March 2018
I enjoyed working at H&M very much I would happily work there again however the hours of work were not compatible to my college hours so I could not work there anymore. I was satisfied overall with the experience of the job.
Pros
Discount on clothes
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at H&M. Our community is ready to answer.

51.4K