H&M Employee Reviews

Found 591 reviews matching the search See all 5,205 reviews
OK to work for
sales advisor (Former Employee) –  south england7 November 2018
Every store different, nice job except for:
VERY hierarchical environment
Unrealistic deadlines and targets
Push people to relocate/progress than let them decide
Got lots of angry customers about sizing...
Managers and store managers volunteered sales advisors to do/attend things they didn't want to
Pros
Discount
Cons
Hierarchical environment
Summary
Manager (Former Employee) –  Scotland6 November 2018
It starts off well working in H&M and you are promised countless opportunities but not often followed through.
There is favouritism within the areas and not a great work/life balance.
fjfk
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Bromwich, West Midlands5 November 2018
Overall working in H&M it was an amazing experience when trying to get out of my comfort zone. It had helped me come out of my shell and become more of a peoples person. Non the less I am able to work along side other individals better because of this job.
Pros
Good management
Cons
short staffed
Hard workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London31 October 2018
I was studying my third year while I have joined to H&M. It was quite hard time for myself as I could not deal with my private needs. Although, this staff has become one of the best memories in my mind. We spent grat moments together to fight for the best results of our trade.
Beware
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh30 October 2018
They emphasise just how much fun it is to work within their call centre during training however, once you reach the actual call centre its all about hitting targets for email handling time/call handling/after call work and break times

They expect personalised responses to all emails but them mark you down for email handling time

Whenever you have a question relating to a customers query, you get a different answer depending on where and who you ask.

Management are always too busy doing their own things to pay any attention, other than when they are pulling you up for doing something that they perceive to be wrong.

Each manager/team leader has varying opinions as to what is "wrong so you can be advised to do one thing one day by one team leader only to be pulled up for it the next day by a different team leader

Expected to constantly say sorry and show empathy to customers no matter what the issue.

I have witnessed team leaders reduce new starts to tears at their so called "progress talks"

Summary: its a company where the hand doesn't know what the elbow is doing. Lots of confusion amongst agents regarding the correct way of responding to customers

If you do apply, bring knee pads with you for the amount of grovelling you will be doing with customers
Pros
free tea/coffee
Cons
read review
productive and fun workplace
Sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge30 October 2018
Working at H&M was fun and also busy. There was never a dull day, and the people working with me were amazing. only downside was that the management was terribly poor in our specific store.
Pros
friendly and fun workplace
Cons
poor management
Ok place to work
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe29 October 2018
A trypical day at work was cleaning, putting out stock and serving customers both at the till and on the shop floor. Management was mediocre as managers kept coming and going every month and we had a lot of managers on loan from other stores. The most enjoyable part of the job was the team of people I got to work with.
Pros
Staff discount on clothing sometimes above 50%, Sociable work hours
Cons
Low pay, poor management sometimes and good management other times
Prodcutive and Fun workplace
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire26 October 2018
Amazing company to work with and daily tasks involved till handling, fitting room, tidying, managing the stock, delivery. Working as a team and getting to know each other more like a family was the best part about the job. Dealing with customers all the time suited me best.
benefits
Cons
n/a
Fun place
Picker/Packer/Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Winsford25 October 2018
This place was really fun to work in. they have lots of new things going on every day and the people at work are just amazing. that was the most fun work I ever had.
it was ok
sales advisor/Customer service agent (Former Employee) –  Hounslow West Station24 October 2018
it was a standard retail job my management were not nice. she was rude and not bearable hence why I left the job to find another job. it was quite uncomfortable to work there at one point.
Productive and Current
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Liverpool21 October 2018
Each day at H&M can turn to be very different. This depends on what store you are currently working in and the time of year. Some days are slow, with other days being extremely busy so it helps to have initiative when working within that environment.
I have learned a great deal of skills during my time at H&M, including leadership skills. I am now full time, meaning that often I am asked questions by younger members of staff, or staff that have less experience than myself.
Management are very easy to approach. They also take the time to review members of staff and offer insight on how to work their way up through the company.
The workplace culture is often very easy going and organised, but can become tricky when training new staff as routines are quite detailed.
The hardest part of working for H&M is trying to make sure that customers do have a pleasant experience when shopping within our stores.
The most enjoyable part of working for H&M is being apart of the team. Staff feel more like family members and work never feels like a chore.
Pros
Family like environment
Cons
Unsociable customers
fun work place
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Brixton, Greater London19 October 2018
working here allows you to keep up with the fashion and learn new skills a challenge but nothing that doesn't help you grow and adapt new skills. allows so much room for promotion
Pros
free lunch
Fast paced and friendly
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Hammersmith, Greater London8 October 2018
A typical day at H&M is very fast paced, busy, and challenging. Nowadays a lot more than it used to be.
I have H&M to thank for my attention to detail, my instinct is always to look for a quick solution upon any type of obstacle, I have learned to manage a team and how to delegate tasks according to each persons strengths.
This is a very welcoming place. It's really hard not to make friends there. Everyone is very friendly. We almost teach new starters to be, and the spirit is very family like.
The hardest part of the job would be, at this moment, the amount of staff vs the amount of tasks that should be done by the end of the day/the week.
The most enjoyable part would be the environment and the energy between colleagues, managers, and everyone involved.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Short staffed
Hard work and clicky
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Llanelli8 October 2018
The job security wasn't secure, if you left the job then they very rarely took you back.
The staff were clicky and if you weren't travelling in the right circles then it was hard to progress.
The management was hardly on the shop floor so if there were challenges then it was hard to find any of the management team.

One thing I did learn while working there was that it helped with my customer service skills, I worked there for three years and within those three years I learnt how to sell and sell very well.

They did have a very good training programme and induction programme, you were able to do fun tasks within the training to help with various skills which were always fun and you were always paid for the training days.

My enjoyable part of the job were the training days, the tasks were always fun
Pros
Training programme, staff discount
Cons
progression was limited
Good Progession
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  West Bromwich, West Midlands7 October 2018
I worked for H&M for 6 years and progressed from a Sales Advisor up to a Department Manager. H&M offer great progression for people who work hard and get on with their job. However, when you do get to the management position, it can be a very demanding role with a lot of hours/responsibility.
Pros
Great progression opporunitites
Cons
No work/life balance
Pays Well
Sales Advisor (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Lakeside Shopping Centre, Essex7 October 2018
The salary is good, as is the 25% discount and numerous staff offers which can get you more money off via online or instore.

Poorly organised though, as most of the time managers are leaving it a couple of days prior to sort out the rotas, not listening to the individuals availabilities and around busy periods will just give you overtime even if not asked for.

I am always working more hours than my contract (20), used to be on an 8 hour and only do weekends but even then did 14 when they wanted me to and 8 when they cut the overtime. Being on a 20 means they give me contracted hours when quiet and then 39 when busy (or more).

Is a fast paced place to work, which can be fun if you have enough staff in, however they are often short staffed and will either leave you to cover your floor by yourself or take you to a different floor. Often will find numerous rails on the shop floor which need garnment caring and there are piles of dumped clothes in all the firing rooms/on the table/or on rails, and they need to be sorted and emptied, whilst also serving customers and being on till as you’re the only one on the floor. In my store the floor I work on has 2 lots of fitting rooms, so you can imagine if it’s a busy weekday evening and how manic it can get.

Will often be on 10:30 closes, which I do not ask for. Most others will be on early shifts/ mid shifts but if they aren’t too fond of you they’ll stick you on all the late weekday closes.

So many people have left my store whilst I’ve been there (1 year!), including almost a whole set of management and a whole set
  more... of Menswear staff! This totals around 35-40 staff leaving. This doesn’t include the staff that only come for seasonal work, however are given permenant contracts anyway.

Managers are friendly but lazy, and will leave you waiting for them for a while (10-15 mins) even if a customer is waiting.

Team Leaders are worse, often with little respect for other people.

It’s a nice place to work but if you’re working in a big store then they’ll take advantage.
Pros
Long breaks (1 hour and 1 20 min), good pay, fun.
Cons
Management take advantage. Long hours.
they will use you until then dont need you anymore. then fire you.
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham4 October 2018
working at h&m overall is a bad experience. although their were benefits, their were also cons. you had to work overtime without a say so, and your shifts are long.
Pros
ok salary, paid every 2 weeks
Cons
long shifts, alot of overtime
Terrible management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London21 September 2018
Management disappears for hours, never listens to concerns, demanded proof for a family death- and even refused to give time off for funeral. Poorly organised, often understaffed and managers never help when it’s busy. Given too many unsocial hours
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
Everything else
Meh
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Bromwich, West Midlands19 September 2018
H&M make it seem as long as you work hard within the company you will progress. But unless your are sucking up to management you won’t progress within the company.

Whilst i was there mangament ok, the staff are wonderful and the only reason i stayed for as long as I did.
Pros
Staff discount. Staff members
Good progression opportunities, unmotivated and untrained managment
Cash Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London18 September 2018
Overall it's an amazing company to work part-time for, especially during Uni. The contracts are small and normally it's possible to adjust your shifts to your schedule. I was able to progress into Cash office, even though I was only working part-time. Also, loads of overtime available if needed because the shops are always short-staffed.
The biggest problem is the fact that the progression is so easy. Often the management is untrained, have no knowledge in Human Resources and are promoted on basis of who is liked more. You will be constantly called to fill in shifts, there will always be problems with your holidays and they always have a problem with people calling in sick.

The staff is all very young and have little interest in actually working.
Pros
Easy to progress
Cons
Poor Managment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at H&M. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K