H&M Employee Reviews

Found 619 reviews matching the search See all 5,419 reviews
Part time was fun, demoralising as full time job
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire21 January 2019
Started off part time time which was enjoyable and great environment to work in.

Since working full time I've done nothing but regret it. The more time you spend there, the more obvious it becomes how shockingly bad the management is. It's all about favouritism and you will not progress without it.

Lack of communication and general divide between sales staff and management most of the time.
Little - no constructive feedback, just snide remarks.
Completely unrealistic deadlines for staff who are pressured to breaking point, without any praise and frequently not even being acknowledged.

I don't think this applies to the whole of H&M, however this store certainly does reflects badly on the company. No wonder the staff turnover is so high.
Pros
Staff discount, a friendly team
Cons
Management, ever-changing rotas, slow progression, negative atmosphere
Fair but intense job, good atmosphere
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Wimbledon, Greater London20 January 2019
A nice place to work if you can learn and work fast. Nothing too mentally taxing if you are willing to do several different tasks. Managerial staff are fair and respectful and company policies work with you rather than against you.
It was a great experience which will forever help me in future jobs
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bletchley18 January 2019
My day at work went by extremely quickly there was always something to keep me busy and if not me and my fellow colleagues will spend the aquired time to make the shop more inviting and facilitating the access for the costumers.

I learned a great deal of skills which till this day still help me,I was able to learn to communicate clearly with costumers to listen to their dilemma and find a solution.

Hardest part of my job could’ve been possibly the initial part into my assigned job,as being totally new to it I struggled however I was given help and gradually got the hang of it.

I will not go around the honest fact that sincerely the most enjoyable part of my job was my break and the communication with the costumers, hearing different things daily was incredible

Overall I’m extremely grateful to this company for all they’ve contributet,into giving me this immense experience
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
Excessive work
Great Place to work
Cash Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dame street15 January 2019
I really enjoyed my time with H&M. They are a fun company to work for and believe in promoting from within the company. They are a fast pace company, but they do look after their staff.
Terrible company
Visual Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Redditch15 January 2019
Poor pay for the stupidly big expectations they have, you don’t get paid for overtime as a manager yet they expect you to do stupid amounts of overtime. Very demotivating.
Area office don’t care about you unless you’re in a top five store and they preach “we are one team” but that’s a load of rubbish.
I don’t have a life because of this job and I hate this job with a passion because of it. I used to love being a visual but H&M have driven me to hate it.
You rarely ever get recognised or praised for your hard work
Pros
25% discount and 1 hour lunch break
Cons
Hours, pay, management, expectation
Great job
Sells and Consults (Former Employee) –  Sliven13 January 2019
This is the best job I worked on. I worked with great desire. I like to work with people and serve them. When they sell clothes they are my stag. I love fashion and give it to all customers.
Pros
a great team
Cons
Part time
Worse place so far I've only worked in
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Lakeside Shopping Centre, Essex12 January 2019
Visal very rude think their management when their not. Management isn't very well run. Unorganized company.
Short notice for rotas and shift swaps and when you ask to swap there's a moan.
Not allowed drinks at all on the shop floor even though you have to talk to customers and staff all shift.
Smelly security guard that stinks of B.O
Ladies toilets are always filthy
Good benefits is the discount 25% plus the ODD specials for staff. The paid 1 hour lunch if you do the long slave shift 😅
Pros
25% discount. 1 hour paid lunch(if you do the long slave shift) the free parking
Cons
Rudeness from actual other human beings just no need. Management very poor and the pay
the higher you go the worse it gets
manager (Former Employee) –  Oxford Circus, Greater London12 January 2019
honestly i have worked with h&m for 4 years and i have not known a single manager who behind closed doors says they love working there. h&m was a fun place before but unfortunately as the years go by they expect more and more from you. the management in store isn't the problem, most of the times at least. it's the people above, who started by working in store and have forgotten what it is like. they don't really care how difficult it is to get the job done as long as it's done. not enough staff, too many expectations. i could go on all day
Pros
a lot of holidays
Cons
the expectations to put work in front of your life is ridiculous
Really good place to work
Cash Office Supervisor (Former Employee) –  South West9 January 2019
The role I played in H&M was very varied.
I was part of the management team and was given significant responsibility.
The most enjoyable part of the job was training and guiding new staff members.
Pros
Staff discount, good benefits
Cons
Antisocial hours at times
Good job
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harlow9 January 2019
I have worked for H&M for a year and 5 months now, the work atmosphere is amazing, everyone gets on, everyone has a laugh.
I love going to work but I would like to do something that is more challenging.
Drama llamas
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Greenhithe, Kent7 January 2019
H&M in Greenhithe feels very much like being at school due to the amount of teenage drama and gossiping that is there (also from management). Chilled atmosphere on weekdays.
Pros
staff discount, long breaks, decent pay
Cons
hierarchy, immaturity, not allowed to be sick
Hard work with little reward
Sales advisor (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire1 January 2019
I understand that a good job depends on your manager, particularly when you work in retail. My experience was particularly negative, and the workplace was full of the drama you would expect when they seem to exclusively hire teenagers. If you are a teenager and this is your first weekend job, its perfectly fine. The wage is fair enough for retail. Unfortunately your experience does depend on your co-workers and managers.
Some days are easier than others as there is plenty to keep you busy and the hours fly by, but others drag and the customers yell and you struggle to keep yourself looking busy.
Cons
Constantly changing hours
Great sales team
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, Suffolk,31 December 2018
Not the best work life balance
Sales team are all very helpful and ready to assist when ever they can
Training was great and very accommodating
The most enjoyable part of the job was the ability to travel and work in various stores
Not a retailer I could recommend to work for.
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  West Midlands15 December 2018
From my personal experience with H&M i didn’t find them particularly good to work for what so ever. They have a very unique and weird culture to the company.
I found the management as a whole instore and area not very professional or good in any manner. The so called “VM” managers think there gods gift to the world for some odd reason. Department managers as a whole aren’t nothing more than glorifyed supervisors really in my eyes. A department managera job is to make sure deliverys are hanged and tagged correctly, that stock is on the right type of hangers and finally that the store is tidy oh and finally that the tills are correct at the end of each days trade. Managers do have meeting about sales targets but it’s very much boring, there not commercial in any sense and the departments are laid out by VM managers who read of a pamphlet from head office of how the departments and stores should look. Also coming into this company with previous retail experience I found there ways off doing things very backwards. All staff are to do is hang and tag stock in the stockroom for majority of the day, serve on tills, clear the returns from the fitting rooms along with any customers refunds or exchanges and tidy the store apart from that it’s not a very difficult job. They proclaim to be very fast paced but from my previous retail experience there not. I’ve known rival companies to take a lot or money and turn over stock 100 times more and quick than H&M does.
If you wish to progress within the company it’s about who you know not what you know. A lot of management are only where
  more... they are due to being apart of the right clicks or their friends with higher up management eg store manager etc when you become a manager department or store you aren’t paid great, department management wage can start from as little as 16 and half thousands a year and it’s based on what your store turn over and size is. If your 16, 17 looking for a weekend job or something to fit around uni and college apply here but if your after a career go elsewhere.
They are short staffed majority of the time however they can’t spend much money on staffing as the stores don’t take much money even flagships stores don’t, To many store close together which doesn’t help. More a job for kids
Pros
Discount and discount can be used on sale items
Cons
Poor management
great staff and environment
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street, Greater London11 December 2018
The staff are all so welcoming. Being in such a huge store doesn't matter because you can rely on your team to help you fit in with the dynamics if the place. Amazing managers who would guide and encourage you while at work.
Fun but Challenging
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Altrincham, Greater Manchester5 December 2018
Loved working here would definitely go back and work for H&M again.

Everyone was accommodating to your needs.

Staff are so friendly and welcoming.
Pros
Discount on clothes
Messy management
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire29 November 2018
Managers abuse their power and can intimidate sales advisers.
Easy to get a long with all the sales staff.
Prepare for rude customers but a good employee discount.
Lovely place to work in!
Sales Assistant, Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Leamington Spa26 November 2018
Good team, good management, loads to learn if you want to! Real possibilities to advance if you really do your job with passion. Fun place to work in, motivational. Give it a go, you will love it!
Pros
Good team, good management, sweet rewards for staff- as in candy, fruits, juices...
Don’t work here
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol17 November 2018
You may be made to feel welcome and like you’re a part of a family but it’s totally different. There’s no work life balance, management pay is awful so you may aswell stay sales as you get your over time paid for which you’re more than likely to do, where as management don’t but are always expected to work ridiculous long hours and sometimes 6 days a week. Ridiculous expectations from management. Only progress if you’re in with the right people and suck up no matter how hard you work and how much you know. Managers put you forward for things or shifts you have not agreed too especially if you want progression they will make you feel guilty for not accepting overtime and cancelling your own plans. Staff Rotas are meant to be planned 5 weeks in advance so you know your days off and can plan accordingly but these always change up until the day before without you being notified and then you’re made out to be in the wrong if you don’t turn up for a shift you were never in for. Some not all staff and management have awful communication and bullying and backstabbing does go on a lot and it’s never dealt with fairly or properly. It’s always one rule for one and another for someone else. Customers overall can be pretty rude due to sizing which obviously isn’t the staffs fault and anytime a customer calls customer services they will always give them false information about faulty returns and what not which then when you’re following procedure in store with said customer can cause a lot of threats and complaints about yourself. Expected to go meetings every few months which you are told  more... you have to attend unless you have it booked as holiday but you only find out usually the week before when the meeting is so regardless of plans you have to attend or you will get screwed at by management. Country manager also very rude and despite saying to express your own style, if he does not like it you won’t progress in the company ever along with other ridiculous reasons he’s given staff as to why they won’t ever progress. Overall, don’t work here, make friends with someone who unfortunately already does and just use their discount as it’s the only positive.  less
Pros
Discount
believe in peolpe
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  london16 November 2018
believe in people
support as a sale advisor
open mind
cost conscious
good leadership
costment improvment about the feedbacks
team work
best company i work
Pros
free launches
Cons
40 hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at H&M. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K