Gwynedd Council

Gwynedd Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom28 reviews
staff was lazy and manger was a total nightmare spoke to us like garbage and demanded we work for free during school holidays i wouldn't recommend working there to any one overall the job was easy but very hard work
Work with a good group of staff which helped the day get by, the salary could be a bit higher than it is for the work you do depend on what department your in. As for fuel per mile, this could be higher aswell for the journeys you do and dont get half as much back
Got to make good friends and the work was very good kept me active by being on my feet all day and got to be in the outdoors all day.Thats the kind of job I like doing but think it's time for a change and better salary.
Brilliant job very supportive great pay and benefits also opportunity to gain qualifications and promotions would recommend people to join and give it a go
The majority of the staff are hard working, committed carers who are trying to deliver care to service users with challenging needs.
However, there is a culture of bullying by management, asking the impossible and a lack of support, staff being forced to come in not fit for duty. Lack of respect and gratitude for staffs commitment.

More focused on cleaning than caring. High demand, low staff levels compromising safety. Management won't support their staff, they will drop you in it to safe their own skin. Don't adhere to employment law, just make the rules up as they go along. For a large organisation they need to value their workers and not intimidate.
Pros
Moneys good
Cons
Long hours, low morale, bad management
Loved working for Gwynedd Council. Great, friendly and approachable colleagues across the board within organisation. Lovely to work in a naturally Welsh environment. Only downside was that most jobs were/are short fixed term contracts, and salaries are pretty low, which is a huge shame, I would have loved to have been able to stay and develop within the council had I had the chance.
Pros
Lovely people
Cons
Fixed term contracts
The management are over paid and under skilled. They treat the staff who are out actually doing some work like second class citizens.

Any complaints? Forget it. They turn a blind eye to anything they can get away with. It takes too much effort, they would rather make your life a misery with unfair demands, the worst calls and the worst members of staff to work with, until you take your opinions and concerns about their system or working conditions somewhere else.

They have their favourite little click that they rely on and treat reasonably well who have been employed for years. These carers are heavily relied upon and respected because they keep their mouths shut and regularly cover calls because of avoidable staffing shortages. Although some of these carers have sympathy for new comers who do not realise they have no rights, they will only try to warn new comers that there is no point complaining about anything to the 'office'. These carers will only ever talk about things they do not agree with amongst themselves, well out of the way of management. No matter how good you are, If you can not do this, you will have to go. Good care workers are leaving in the droves, this is because it is not your quality of care work that management value.

This company rarely uses the correct equipment and many care plans are out dated. However, if you are using the wrong equipment, it is YOU who gets sued and not the management. They do not care. If you do not like it, get out of the job, is the managements attitude. All they are bothered about is getting calls completed, they
 - more...
Pros
wonderful service users
Cons
terrible managers
Because the section was managed by a useless individual the works environment was pretty poor. That is why nobody of the original team are still there.
Pros
Wage
Cons
This role was very simple and a typical day at work would involve making sure that the public area is spot clean before finishing and ensure I have used the correct substances. Also this role involved trust and responsibility as I had council keys to complete the role.
Hours can vary, you can start 7:30 in the morning and be in and out until 10 at night but only be paid for 6 hours, that is a downfall, I would prefer to work in shifts
too much nepotism, wrong people in wrong jobs. All the work done by the low paid workers,Management on good salary`s not up to the task. The lads you will work with on the tools are great, just a lack of any faith in management and poor job security makes it a sad place to work.
Pros
good workmates
Cons
poor management
Great Company
Great Management

Great People

Hardworking

Learnt lots of Health and Safety

Lots of Driving Experience

Worked a lot with community

Great Place to work
Pros
Rewards
Cons
Long Hours
The management is great and the chance for everyone to progress is amazing. You work as part of a team and everyone works hard together to reach a common goal.
Overall the comapany was great to work for. If I could have stayed with the company I would have, but unfortunatley due to circumstances beyond my control I was unable to continue.
Only left to help former colleague with his firm.work. Working sometimes from home, having my own pickup.most days from yard. Load up and go out working around gwynedd all day. Great memories
Pros
Working outside, good people.
Cons
Call outs
Good to work for. I work for the lesuire center in Dolgellau so its not directly gwynedd council. But the place i work is a great place to work. I would recomend it to.a friend.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
No perminate placement
A good place to work friendly staff and helpful.Also gained my brushcutter cert but have not received certificate yet.
Pros
freindly staff
Cons
not recieved my certifaction
was a good week in the council as it was great laugh the staff was great enjoyed every part of it learned a lot of things on how to fix computers and how to setup iphones.
Mostly CAD work with some admin duties. Co-workers were fun to be around but also hard working. Good chance of advancement
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
Sometimees had to travel long distances to get to a site
My current role as a teacher can be very rewarding at times and every day is different. However, the work load is very heavy and is impossible to find a good work-social life balance. I enjoy working with children with specific learning or behavioural difficulties. I'm looking to get back into Psychology (education or clinical field). I also enjoy counselling and have a certificate in counselling skills and have a growing interest in psychological therapy approaches (cognitive behavioural therapy/mindfulness).
Pros
Early finish
Cons
Heavy workload after working hours and weekends
Flexible working and good rates of pay
A comprehensive training programme.

Management are very supportive and the council is a very reliable and fair employer.
Pros
flexi time
Cons
Poor car park facilities and no canteen or place to eat