Groom Room

Groom Room Employee Reviews

United Kingdom50 reviews
All upper management care about is money. They dont care about you or the dogs in your care. All about pushing targets regardless of the welfare of the animals. No work life balance - expected to work through lunchtimes and before/after your shift for free. Head office managers have never groomed a dog in their life and have zero clue what they are talking about!
I worked for the company for 4 years and it is an absolute nightmare company to work for! Looking at the job descriptions for when you apply they make it sound amazing and perfect, but it is seriously far from it! The only benefit you get from working in the Groom Room is free training. I would only advise you apply for the trainee position to get trained and leave. I worked for the South East and the way staff are treated by management from all stores are a disgrace. They are encouraged to bully the staff into hitting targets and if your store fails to perform to the area managers standard, you are sent horrible emails and are visited from them to only give staff dirty looks and intimidate them. They preach about supporting mental health yet they consider people with mental health problems a massive burden and will not support you at all. For the 4 years I worked there, the MASSIVE number of staff from shop floor and the Groom Room who had left the company was extremely high, yet the company will not take blame and see you as replaceable. You WILL NOT be respected and all you will receive is an enormous amount of stress and no support. They preach “Pets before Profit” yet this is never the case! Expect you to groom a ridiculous amount of dogs per day and you rush so much that you are bound to make mistakes. They expect you to groom until the last second of your shift with no time to clean the salon which would mean working over time to clean the salon which they will not pay you for or will send snotty emails about people working overtime....
Was told by a colleague how a
 - more...
As an animal lover (the reason why I got into grooming in the first place and should be why anyone does!) this place is just the worst of the worst. Profit always comes before pets wellbeing and health. I witnessed cruel behaviour towards dogs, no action is ever taken. Being constantly
rushed to get ‘as many dogs in as possible’. Dogs are people’s babies and need patience, understanding and TIME to get accustomed to grooming. Something you will never get at the groom room.
there are alot of KPI's to hit. which is their main goal and a company.
the hours can be anything from 8am - 8pm at night and work/ home balance isnt the best.

weekends are required to work regularly.
This place broke me and I don't know how to put myself together. If you value your mental and physical health and want to treat pets with the respect they deserve as loving family members, stay away. Here profit does comes before pets, and before employees too. If you love animals you will suffer a lot here. There's a lot of folk getting bullied. Management often ridicule people and keep nothing confidential. You'll be required to start early, finish late and often skip lunch. You end up working for weeks without a day off as many salons are understaffed or not meeting targets. You have to sell a lot and if you can't, you have to cheat. If you're an experienced groomer you'll have to change the way you groom to suit their targets and do more dogs plus reception, sales and training others. . If you are new, you get thrown in the deep end almost right away and have to pick up as you go along and groom fast, even when you don't know what you're doing yet. They arm you with blasters, cheap scissors and old clippers and on you go, with almost no training. Lots of accidents happen this way, poor dogs end up getting cut or sick with stress as they get pushed beyond their limits by inexperienced groomers.
I made friends for life, learnt a career I had wanted for many years, met some fantastic people.
Left to become a manager in another petstore chain, and the training is null and void, where no one knows what they are doing...
Pros
Training. Friendships. Animals
Cons
Pay could be better
What a utter shambles! They only care about Sales and targets!!!! They do not care or look after their staff at all, they don’t care about your work to life balance, make you work 7 hours without a break, no team work, moody atmosphere. Your always walking on egg shells! God forbid you get sick note. get absolutely annihilated for Having time off even with proof! The company drains you, makes you work silly hours, no help/support from management, a bullying environment the list goes on!
Don’t even bother applying to work here unless you want to be miserable. Employees are treated like rubbish. All they care about is money and how many dogs they can squeeze in. You have certain targets to hit daily/weekly/monthly and if you don’t your named and shamed or receive constant emails harassing you. Higher up management are far from supportive in fact they are useless. No work life balance either . There’s no thought for the animals or customer satisfaction, the money is all they care about. Staff turnover throughout the whole company was so high from what I witnessed yet they still haven’t worked out why. The pay is poor for the job your doing also. They try and rush people through their training in order to get more dogs in even if the person isn’t confident yet.
If you want to be stressed, treated badly and have no support from higher management then this is definitely the job for you
Don’t do it!!!!
It’s not worth it.. they don’t pay you what it shows on the job description.

The role is not so amazing as they told us

Been working for this company and honestly I wish I never went there as it was the must horrible time I had on my life and ended on an unfair dismissal. The reason don’t met the companies expectations. When you do all they ask for having 12 weeks review on the 20 week’s working for this company better places to work for sure
Got out whilst I could! It was the worst decision of my life going to work there. They don’t appreciate your hard work when you don’t have a dog they expect you to be down stairs constantly running about for them. People were being bullies and when I told managers nothing was done. Told a manager about my mental health got told to Grow up it was an awful experience never came home happy they also don’t care if you have plans so your life was just work constantly
Was so looking forward to working with this company, wanted to progress as i agreed what it stood for. Was totally misguided, no lunch breaks as was so busy when 1st opened the brand new salon. Customer repeat business wasnt high, but i kept my regulars. Stupid targets and was given warnings from the salon manager as not cleaned up properly but was grooming all day. Finally left and started my own
If you value your health don’t work here!! Will drive you to a breakdown. It’s a production line of dog in dog out. Money making scheme, the company don’t care about the dogs or staff.
I've been at this company for almost ten years & it has changed drastically for the worst.

I have lost count of how many great and extremely talented people have been pushed to their limits and left.

I've seen kind, generous, hard working people pushed to breakdowns.

The company is great at presenting theatrics and pretending to care; but any seasoned colleague will see straight through all the nonsense.

As a groomer, you are merely a tool pressured and pushed to meet targets at the expense of your own health and well being. A shocking amount of people are on medication for mental health or on the sick due to this company.

You will finish work often aching all over, headaches with sore hands. But don't worry, you'll have earned a patronizing email giving you a pat on the back because you've made the area manager look good.

You are expected to "never turn a dog away" and groom until your finishing time, leaving a lot of cleaning and admin work to be completed so you're often staying behind.

You have audits/inspections to make sure all is as it should be. You can be marked as negative if the salon isn't pristine. But if you're constantly grooming, answering the phone, taking deposits, calling online bookings, doing walk in nails clips, juggling a hundred things... how are you supposed to make sure EVERYTHING is done?

You are stretched thin constantly and nothing will ever be good enough.

You have targets for Grooming Services, the Average Price of a Dog and Spa packages which includes "teeth cleaning"; the biggest joke in the salon. You can buy the EXACT
 - more...
Worked here for nearly 4 years now and have finally gotten out. To start with I loved it but lately the place is just going downhill. Always understaffed, and still expected to groom the amount of dogs we would be doing with a full team. Very unrealistic targets, especially whilst having to see to the many walk in customers, walk in nail clips, constant phone calls, emails, managing online booking, taking deposits etc whilst trying to actually groom your dog. Made to groom up until the minute you close, leaving any cleaning and call backs to be done after or before hours. One weekend off a month if you’re lucky. No cover when people are sick, I stupidly worked 14 days in a row for this company due to sickness and when I refused to work any more got looked down on as the salon couldn’t be closed for any reason and they wouldn’t allow it, yet... still wouldn’t help by finding cover? Don’t remember the last time I got my full hour lunch break, some days working 11 hour shifts and barely getting 15 minutes to go and eat. They were always great at paying my overtime but I didn’t want the money, I wanted to be able to do my contracted hours and leave. This place sucked all the life out of me and it’ll really show you what true exhaustion feels like.

I will say that I was lucky everyone within my store and salon did their best to help support everyone, but you just cannot avoid the people higher up who think they know what they’re talking about, they really don’t.
Pros
The people I worked with were great and the dogs, we had some lovely loyal customers that I will miss dearly. It really is a shame.
Cons
Everything else
Worked here for a 1.5 years and that was enough. The training you receive is poor and limited, and you have to go on what the girls show you, in the end I paid to do city and guilds at college to ensure I was up to standard. I didnt even know how to clean a blade properly until college as I was never shown correctly. The store manager was nothing but unhelpful, never dealt with anything; if you did have an issue, he would say wel chat later and then you wouldnt see him again. I loved the dog grooming but working behind a glass wall being watched and constantly judged was in the end too much on top of the unrealistic targets, lack of support and the constant phone ringing, the cleaning, taking appointments and deposits whilst juggling doing the dog. The work life balance was horrendous, the days long and packed and you would always have to do 9-6 which sounds fine, but it takes its toll after a while, they have now changed the hours so the salon opens at 8am on a saturday and 9:30 on a sunday morning.

stars starts to take its toll You just didnt have much a life at the end of it and the constant worry of what others were booking in in your column, whether it was full grooms for only an hour, aggressive dogs that required 2 people but you were on your own, was upsetting as you were expected to just get on with it; as my manager said wasnt this what you signed up for... overall if you do decide to work here do it for the experience and dont stay here long you'll burn out, and theyll syck the fun and life out of grooming. It certainly is not pets before profit at all.
I started as a shop floor assistant but the company has just got worse & worse as the years have gone on. You're not a valued colleague anymore. You're a money making machine. Retail as a business is going down hill as it is but the big people are getting more and more obsessed with you hitting targets & add on's. If you do not hit these, you have a email each day wanting a explanation and a patronizing conference call. You are trained by people that are barely trained themselves. You also only get a 'pets at home' qualification. This isn't a legit qualification employers look for? The money is good but for dog grooming is nothing compared to self employed. Your lucky to get 1 weekend off a month if that. Work throughout Christmas with only x-mas day, boxing day & new years day off. You cannot have more then one colleague off at a time, so you have to fight for holiday. You're not allowed to take any time off during December at all. You start early, work late, work throughout your un-paid lunch break like it's normal. If you do over-time they cant pay you for it because they are on a strict budget. If you want to take the time back you've work for FREE. You've just got to wait for the moment to arise. You're not allowed to block yourself out to take the time back. You don't get any cleaning time at the end of the day. You work 9-6 (depending on the salon sometimes 11-8) dog after dog. Squeezing in as many as you can with as little time but expecting show standard grooms. So a lot of the time you just get to quickly hover at the end of the day meaning you either stay later to - more...
Pros
Make some good friends, gives you experience for cv
Cons
Your just a money making machine, Barely get weekends off, profit before pets, Your likely to work through your lunch break & stay later, terrible work - life balance, I could go on but you get the point.
Worked my way into the groomers through working on the shop floor. Brilliant opportunity but not worth the stress and feeling overworked all the time. I've worked lots of difficult jobs, but this one really deflated me. Love the job, hate the way it's run.
HORRIBLE place to work. Manager of the groom room made me get her breakfast, laughed at me during reviews in front of store manager! Absolute bullies the lot of them. Gave me horrible anxiety/depression which I never suffered with before working there. I Went to store managers and GDM with my problems and concerns and was told “some people just don’t get along”. No help with grooming whatsoever they teach you nothing and then expect you to pass exams. She was outside more having a cigarette break than actually working. Ridiculous. Save yourself the hassle and work somewhere they value the staff. I really could go on.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Everything.
Awful place to work, was an apprentice for a year then got moved stores, which took advantage. Worked about 7-9 days In a row no day off. Some days didn't even have a lunch break, sometimes 8 minutes lunch then got out late. When managers were told just got an 'oh sorry' work life balance awful, work most weekends/bank holidays. You're pushed to groom a dog in 2hours alongside answering the phone, emails and customers coming up. Dogs were stressed as there's not enough time given. Suffered bad migraines/tinnitus.
Pros
Working with dogs
Cons
Hours/working all weekend/over worked
Unrealistic targets, only got one weekend off a month if that and no time off Christmas. Always had friendly colleagues and good management but higher ups had no clue about grooming and what we could physically do. Expect to work out fingers to the bone for a rubbish wage. Super stressful. Zero work to life balance. Could not wait to leave
Cons
Long hours one weekend off a month
I work at Groom room currently as a part time dog groomer. If you think you are going to get trained..you are barking up the wrong tree!
On my first day here I was told to FETCH the puppy ointment! I found it a paw ling!

Didn't get paid for the first month.. felt like I was just chasing me own tail..

In my last one to one.. I was told I am a good boy, and was given a pat on the back for all my hard work.. I found this condescending and expected a bigger treat!

I got sick of the radio songs..all they played was super furry animals, and who let the dogs out...

One day some money went missing.. the police are still chasing up on leads!

Please do yourself a favour and do not work here..unless you enjoy doggy treats and being continuously put in the dog house!
Pros
Lots of time down the park
Cons
Long hours, no training, paw management