Groom Room Employee Reviews

Don’t do it!
Groomer (Former Employee) –  Northern Ireland27 September 2019
If you value your health don’t work here!! Will drive you to a breakdown. It’s a production line of dog in dog out. Money making scheme, the company don’t care about the dogs or staff.
Shambles.
SALON MANAGER (Current Employee) –  England26 September 2019
I've been at this company for almost ten years & it has changed drastically for the worst.

I have lost count of how many great and extremely talented people have been pushed to their limits and left.
I've seen kind, generous, hard working people pushed to breakdowns.
The company is great at presenting theatrics and pretending to care; but any seasoned colleague will see straight through all the nonsense.

As a groomer, you are merely a tool pressured and pushed to meet targets at the expense of your own health and well being. A shocking amount of people are on medication for mental health or on the sick due to this company.

You will finish work often aching all over, headaches with sore hands. But don't worry, you'll have earned a patronizing email giving you a pat on the back because you've made the area manager look good.

You are expected to "never turn a dog away" and groom until your finishing time, leaving a lot of cleaning and admin work to be completed so you're often staying behind.

You have audits/inspections to make sure all is as it should be. You can be marked as negative if the salon isn't pristine. But if you're constantly grooming, answering the phone, taking deposits, calling online bookings, doing walk in nails clips, juggling a hundred things... how are you supposed to make sure EVERYTHING is done?
You are stretched thin constantly and nothing will ever be good enough.

You have targets for Grooming Services, the Average Price of a Dog and Spa packages which includes "teeth cleaning"; the biggest joke in the salon. You can buy the EXACT
  more... SAME teeth cleaning gel that lasts for months on shop floor for £13 OR you can pay a fiver for a squirt of it in your dogs mouth.
It even states on the instructions that it is to be used numerous times in one week to be effective. Extremely misleading and an embarrassment.

The hours are long and you'll feel like you live at work. You'll get one weekend off a month if you're lucku and two days off for Christmas; Christmas Day and Boxing day. Store managers are told to "incentivize" us groomers so we don't take our additional two days off that week and just have Christmas and Boxing day off so we groom more dogs.

One perk of the job is that you can get a bonus.. thats IF payroll manage to pay you correctly which they rarely do. I've lost count how many times colleagues have had to call Payroll to rectify things. It's that bad that they no longer use "Bonus!" to try and motivate people.

If you want to do into the grooming industry this is a great place to start.
Take all you can and leave and don't feel bad about it because you will be exploited to your full potential.

I will be very surprised if in a few years to come that Pets at Home won't collapse.
The angst and frustration isn't just contained to the Groom Rooms but also felt across the store and Vets. I am aware of a lot of Groom Room and store colleagues planning on leaving in the new year; already the company is struggling due to the amount of people on the sick or who have ventured onto better things.

The biggest issue is the culture of greed pushed forward by the most arrogant and ignorant higher up in the company.
Patronising, condescending managers who run you into the ground
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol2 September 2019
Worked here for a 1.5 years and that was enough. The training you receive is poor and limited, and you have to go on what the girls show you, in the end I paid to do city and guilds at college to ensure I was up to standard. I didnt even know how to clean a blade properly until college as I was never shown correctly. The store manager was nothing but unhelpful, never dealt with anything; if you did have an issue, he would say wel chat later and then you wouldnt see him again. I loved the dog grooming but working behind a glass wall being watched and constantly judged was in the end too much on top of the unrealistic targets, lack of support and the constant phone ringing, the cleaning, taking appointments and deposits whilst juggling doing the dog. The work life balance was horrendous, the days long and packed and you would always have to do 9-6 which sounds fine, but it takes its toll after a while, they have now changed the hours so the salon opens at 8am on a saturday and 9:30 on a sunday morning.

stars starts to take its toll You just didnt have much a life at the end of it and the constant worry of what others were booking in in your column, whether it was full grooms for only an hour, aggressive dogs that required 2 people but you were on your own, was upsetting as you were expected to just get on with it; as my manager said wasnt this what you signed up for... overall if you do decide to work here do it for the experience and dont stay here long you'll burn out, and theyll syck the fun and life out of grooming. It certainly is not pets before profit at all.
Profit before Pets
Dog groomer (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom22 August 2019
I started as a shop floor assistant but the company has just got worse & worse as the years have gone on. You're not a valued colleague anymore. You're a money making machine. Retail as a business is going down hill as it is but the big people are getting more and more obsessed with you hitting targets & add on's. If you do not hit these, you have a email each day wanting a explanation and a patronizing conference call. You are trained by people that are barely trained themselves. You also only get a 'pets at home' qualification. This isn't a legit qualification employers look for? The money is good but for dog grooming is nothing compared to self employed. Your lucky to get 1 weekend off a month if that. Work throughout Christmas with only x-mas day, boxing day & new years day off. You cannot have more then one colleague off at a time, so you have to fight for holiday. You're not allowed to take any time off during December at all. You start early, work late, work throughout your un-paid lunch break like it's normal. If you do over-time they cant pay you for it because they are on a strict budget. If you want to take the time back you've work for FREE. You've just got to wait for the moment to arise. You're not allowed to block yourself out to take the time back. You don't get any cleaning time at the end of the day. You work 9-6 (depending on the salon sometimes 11-8) dog after dog. Squeezing in as many as you can with as little time but expecting show standard grooms. So a lot of the time you just get to quickly hover at the end of the day meaning you either stay later to  more... finish or start early the next day to finish cleaning. A lot of the time our equipment would get sterilized and deep clean only when a dog would no -show. The job can be mentally draining if you have a lot of aggressive dogs on your books. The company do not care about aggressive dogs just get on with it attitude and if you need more time for that dog they get annoyed. If you want to get into grooming it's a great place to start, but for the love of God, do not stay here, move yourself on to better things.  less
Pros
Make some good friends, gives you experience for cv
Cons
Your just a money making machine, Barely get weekends off, profit before pets, Your likely to work through your lunch break & stay later, terrible work - life balance, I could go on but you get the point.
Obsessed with making money, don't care about employees
Stylist Assistant (Current Employee) –  Yorkshire5 August 2019
Worked my way into the groomers through working on the shop floor. Brilliant opportunity but not worth the stress and feeling overworked all the time. I've worked lots of difficult jobs, but this one really deflated me. Love the job, hate the way it's run.
Worst place I’ve ever worked.
Assistant Stylist (Former Employee) –  Devon31 July 2019
HORRIBLE place to work. Manager of the groom room made me get her breakfast, laughed at me during reviews in front of store manager! Absolute bullies the lot of them. Gave me horrible anxiety/depression which I never suffered with before working there. I Went to store managers and GDM with my problems and concerns and was told “some people just don’t get along”. No help with grooming whatsoever they teach you nothing and then expect you to pass exams. She was outside more having a cigarette break than actually working. Ridiculous. Save yourself the hassle and work somewhere they value the staff. I really could go on.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Everything.
Awful place to work
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Essex21 July 2019
Awful place to work, was an apprentice for a year then got moved stores, which took advantage. Worked about 7-9 days In a row no day off. Some days didn't even have a lunch break, sometimes 8 minutes lunch then got out late. When managers were told just got an 'oh sorry' work life balance awful, work most weekends/bank holidays. You're pushed to groom a dog in 2hours alongside answering the phone, emails and customers coming up. Dogs were stressed as there's not enough time given. Suffered bad migraines/tinnitus.
Pros
Working with dogs
Cons
Hours/working all weekend/over worked
Nice colleagues but awful higher up management
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, Cumbria17 July 2019
Unrealistic targets, only got one weekend off a month if that and no time off Christmas. Always had friendly colleagues and good management but higher ups had no clue about grooming and what we could physically do. Expect to work out fingers to the bone for a rubbish wage. Super stressful. Zero work to life balance. Could not wait to leave
Cons
Long hours one weekend off a month
You would have to be barking mad to work here!
Dog Grooming Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff15 June 2019
I work at Groom room currently as a part time dog groomer. If you think you are going to get trained..you are barking up the wrong tree!
On my first day here I was told to FETCH the puppy ointment! I found it a paw ling!
Didn't get paid for the first month.. felt like I was just chasing me own tail..
In my last one to one.. I was told I am a good boy, and was given a pat on the back for all my hard work.. I found this condescending and expected a bigger treat!
I got sick of the radio songs..all they played was super furry animals, and who let the dogs out...
One day some money went missing.. the police are still chasing up on leads!
Please do yourself a favour and do not work here..unless you enjoy doggy treats and being continuously put in the dog house!
Pros
Lots of time down the park
Cons
Long hours, no training, paw management
Awful
Assistant Stylist (Former Employee) –  Waterlooville, Hampshire7 June 2019
An awful place to work, i started out working in the shop then went on to train as a groomer, I say “train” pick up any skills I could in the tiny gaps I could find! They pop open salons without fully staffing them thus allowing 0 time for training assistants. I was rushed through my training with very little practice and didn’t complete it in the end because i left. You are treated like a machine not a human, i only worked there 9 months and I loved my team but higher management are rude and aggressive, they talk to you only about money and couldn’t care less about welfare. Not to mention they’ve probably never even bathed a dog in their life. Avoid at all costs
Pros
Met some lovely people
Cons
Long hours, bad pay, no respect, unachievable targets
Avoid at all costs
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands15 May 2019
Worked for the company for 2.5 years, and in two stores/salons. All management I experienced was very poor in both stores. Experienced horrific bullying by multiple members of staff and management and it was ignored multiple times by regional managers. Eventually it was reported to HR, and again ignored.
Grooming training was carried out by the salon manager who luckily was a great groomer and great person but there was little to no structure and often profits were prioritised over training.
On more than one occasion I saw a salon manager from a different store abuse, hurt and scream at vulnerable dogs. This was reported. Nothing was done. Rate of pay is poor for the skillset and the hours, no real benefits. Equipment provided was terrible, run down and damaged. Trying to get someone to fix or replace equipment was near impossible.
Conveyor belt of dogs, not even given time to go to the toilet most days. Bizarre rules and regulations, constantly changing.
Forced to go on horrific 'training' days called 'roadshows' which were a waste of time and money for travel. Promised support with getting time off for medical appointments and refused when the time came.
Constantly hounded, and hurled abuse at for not hitting or reaching unachievable and frankly ludicrous targets.
Contacted on days off about not achieving targets, and on multiple occasions I was contacted at 6am expected to come in at 8.30am to cover sick and work 6/7 days in a row. I worked alone with large dangerous dogs and not offered any help from shop floor staff for lifting etc.

I will never ever recommend
  more... taking your dog here, its highly stressful for both staff and dogs. They do not have your pets best interests at heart, it is all about profit. I'll never shop or use them ever again.  less
Cons
Poor rate of pay, Poor work life balance, bullying in the workplace, poor management.
Fun!
Assistant Groomer (Former Employee) –  Leicester16 April 2019
I loved working there. All day with the dogs was very therapeutic. The manager was a bit stern and made me feel uncomfortable at times. But fellow colleagues made the experience better. Long days and always on feet and bent over. But again you're with dogs
Pros
Discount
Cons
Very long hours
Avoid aviod avoid!!!!!
Assistant Stylist (Former Employee) –  Bolton, Greater Manchester6 April 2019
Aviod this company at all costs!!! Absolutely horrific place to work! Management are horrible theres a click within the store I was in and once one of them dislike you all management have it in for you, I was working over 60 hours a week because all the staff went on sick due to poor management the company dont care about the staff at all I worked 12 hour shifts with no breaks or lunch didnt even have time to go to the toilet and all you get told by management is "tough" this company caused my mental health to deteriorate severely if you value you mental health avoid this company!!!
Not the best place - northampton riverside & nene valley
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Riverside & nene valley20 March 2019
Deffo not pets before profits always profits beforepets!
I worked here for 4 years did my training got my confidence and left, i cannot knock managers or staff as some of them are now my very close friends but they've all left aswell. You are pushed to make as much money as possible & not care about the dogs. Long hours and never get a weekend off.
I deffo say if you can get your training here then grest but dont expect a career that pays well with them as they pay you pennies.
Train then & move on to somewhere else!!
Trainee stylist (Former Employee) –  Macclesfield, Cheshire15 March 2019
Pros-
good for training, well what training you get. ( when they have time & not getting pressurised by higher management)

Cons-
Everything is very rushed, strict time limits on how long it should take it to complete a dog so if you have an aggressive or nervous dog your not allowed any extra time- definitely not promoting there saying (pets before profit)
Encouraged to lie to owners and say there dog has behaved like an angel even if they’ve been extremely nervous or aggressive.
No support from higher management.
Often go without lunches & stay behind your shift.
Nothing really gets throughly cleaned or disinfected due to not having time.

Basically an awful company to work for dog grooming is very hard to get in to so id advise use them for training and move on as quick as possible!
Cons
Long hours, often no break
Profit before pets a conveyor belt of dogs
assistant dog groomer (Former Employee) –  East Grinstead9 March 2019
Was told before taking the job there would be training and qualification. Turns out it was not a recognized qualification but a ' pets at home' qualification which is not recognized anywhere else. Feel lied to. Training was not good, forced you to take assessments even if you didn't feel comfortable in doing so and passed you regardless. Low standards. Hardly learned anything.
Management was bad, unhappy colleagues.
Some groomers were not kind to dogs.
Had to get as many dogs in as possible and rush them through the groom to hit targets and make money. Don't care about dogs welfare or staff.
No work/ life balance
Okay pay but not worth the stress.
Expected to do walk in nail appointments, answer the phone, clean, book appointments, do callbacks and deal with customer enquires WHILST you are grooming the dog.

Good point: working with dogs
Pros
Decent pay, got groom own dogs for free on days off
Cons
Too many to list see above
Currently working at this shambolic system !!!
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Dorset8 January 2019
I have been working for this company for almost 3 years, until I find another job, I am stuck. There is no gratitude from the company, "HIGH" Managers have NEVER groomed a dog in their life and yet we get worked to the bone, you have to pay for your OWN dog to get bathed etc or in YOUR OWN time which I think is horribly unfair and the least they can do for their colleagues who make the company millions !!! Without us groomers, they would be stuffed !!! Our salary is beyond a JOKE, an example of profit they are making from us: a small / medium breed is £42.00 and we only get paid £8.87 per hour not enough for what is groomers go through !!! 4 weeks holiday a year = NOT enough, we are under an IMMENSE amount of pressure to hit targets and to hard sell spas and packages to customers, if not they send numerous emails and calls to put you on the spot and pressure. They require really cheap and BASIC equipment for groomers but yet if you want your own stuff for a good finish and groom to use for their clients (the dogs) you have to pay for your own and they take it out of your wage, a system they like to call "CASH 4 KIT". Get 2 most random days off a week, only 1 weekend off a month. You get days where you are in the salon working on your own with NO help, if a customer come to collect their dog late - over the collection time you have given, it can run into your lunch or maybe not even having a lunch. The latest " LOVELY" (sarcasm) thing want us to do now is to still be doing dogs right up to when it's home time, so the salon is left not clean and calls and contracts may not get  more... finished, yet they want the salons clean and presentable, this also means that if the customer is again late for collection we can still go over when we go home, I have had it done to me twice now where it's been my finishing time and I'm still in the salon with their dog nearly an hour, when I'm supposed to be home. Us groomers need appreciation, help and support but all we get is underpaid, overworked, no help, no support, put under immense amount of pressure and the company is known to be VERY stingy. They want it all for nothing and us groomers are letting them get away with it. Would not recommend at all working here !!! I have developed severe chronic exhaustion, stress and anxiety working for this company, I just wish I can get away from it ASAP.  less
Pros
To get home and relax after
Cons
Everything above and MORE !!!!
Sounds great but the worst place I've ever been
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Devon28 November 2018
Completely agree with every negative comment/review. Make sure you read through them. You are a just a number, no body cares. You're pushed to and beyond the limit with ridiculous targets that people who have never groomed a day in their life make up. Their only goal - to make money money money. I have too many Negative things about my time/experience there to list. Just don't put yourself through it, it's not all what it seems at all.
Pros
....? Honestly can't think of one
Cons
Too long to list, everything you could think of
Terrible place to work!!
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Sittingbourne, Kent15 November 2018
Terrible place to work. The management are useless, lazy and dont care about their staff. Pets before profit is a load of rubbish and they only care about money and targets. Grooming dogs like no tomorrow doing 12 a day, no care for the wellness of the animals. Had to work through lunches and management get away with everything! Best thing ever was leaving the place!
Pros
Only the dogs
Cons
Long hours, dont get lunch breaks, bad management
Gone down hill
Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  South Yorkshire23 October 2018
8 years I worked for this company, in the past 5 it’s gone massively down hill. If you don’t do 6 dogs a day & hit targets the salon is bombarded with emails asking why. The salon I was in was a busy salon, unfortunately went through a period of being quiet (as all dog groomers do) I was unfairly after 7 years being with them, to be put through performance management & sacked at the end if no improvement or asked to step down & take a pay cut. I cried for days at the thought of losing money or my job & then I heard nothing about it.
People that are higher up no absolutely NOTHING about grooming & have never groomed a single dog in there life. The old area manager for some reason absolutely hated me & made my life a misery. When I tried to put in a complaint about him I was told I’d get nowhere & make things worse. I used to work my dinners, stay over etc but you never get a thank you for it. Salon managers are massively underpaid & everyone in the salon only gets one weekend off a month. Dogs are literally in & out like a conveyor belt.
People getting signed off to stylist that aren’t ready yet. But people training them are under pressure to get it done within a time frame. From people that still work there I’m told it’s got worse. If you like hitting targets, underpaid, constant pressure & working under people that no nothing about grooming then this is the place for you!
Pros
Erm?
Cons
Long hours, unsociable hours, not good pay, loads more listed above.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Groom Room. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5