Greggs Pay & Benefits reviews

I'm sorry I left
Team Leader, Supervisor // hornchurch, England (Former Employee) –  England11 May 2018
This has got to be the best company I have worked for.
The support I got from my team, my Manager and from my area manager was unbelievable. this is truly a family business.

Hours were long but well worth it for the bonus you got each year
Pros
50% off, good holidays
Cons
5.00am starts
Greggs
Team member (Current Employee) –  Barnsley, South Yorkshire29 April 2018
Really enjoy working at greggs, its fun and everyone i work with are very nice and friendly, the pay is very good and its a nice environment but hard work
Pros
wages
Cons
hours
Decent Job for some money.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wales23 April 2018
Good Job if you can work at a very fast Pace, A lot to do and remember... not the best training and sometimes made to feel not good enough. Hated the shifts, I applied for a 16 hour job with opportunitys to do over time, I needed set shifts due to personal things... I explained this in the interview, and my manger told me yes, and that she would let me know in advance if anything changed, this was incorrect information, Every day I would go in the shifts would change and Some times they would change daily making me either later or early for my shift, also I was given all the over time even though I had asked to be informed if there was any going so I could choose. Pay is decent and you discount and free tea or coffee on tour breaks. Overall a decent job for some money and if you don't mind working all the time and haven't got any responsibilities.
Pros
Good discount
Cons
No Set Shifts
Meh
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Hinckley14 April 2018
Very long hours even if you just have a 16 hour contract. Management wasn't great. Customers can be very rude and they won't care about hurting your feelings at all so you will need to have a thick skin.
Pros
good pay
Cons
Long Hours, don't even get free lunch
ok
Team Member - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire9 April 2018
great work rate and good hour, flexible with hours but not great for sickpay and holidays, team members are always friendly but management could do with improvements
Nurturing company.
Apprentice - Level 2 (Current Employee) –  North West4 April 2018
I started working for the company around two years ago as a stop gap before I went to uni, eventually I ended up leaving uni due to other reasons and the management were so accommodating in adjusting my hours back to what they originally were before I left.

After a management change, I felt I had hit a ceiling in that particular shop and there was no sense of progression for me. Different managers have different styles of working and I clashed with the new assistant manager. I had been with the company for a year at this point and I was looking for another job, the working environment wasn't great, however I really enjoyed the job itself and the benefits with the company are great, so I was really disheartened about looking, however then I found the apprenticeship programme. It must've been fate because the position was actually closer to home, about 5 minutes drive from where I live, and I haven't looked back since.

Greggs nurture and promote in-grown talent. I know from doing my course that my options are open and I can progress up the ladder, I don't need to set myself a limit because the opportunities are limitless if you are willing to work hard to achieve it. There will always be cliques and negativity from some staff members, but this is just a general hazard of any workplace and I'm not going to lie - it's not just standing around selling sausage rolls all day. When you only have 3 members of staff in including management, you'll have plenty to keep you busy whilst still working the Greggs Way, providing warm and friendly service whilst going above and beyond
  more... for your customers & yes, you may get calls whilst you're off, however do not feel that you have to say yes, yes we want staff who are flexible however we still expect you to have a work-life balance.  less
Pros
50% off store-produced products & sweets, 25% off drinks and products bought in (porridge/fruit pots/etc), Free hot drink on breaks, Pension Scheme, Share Save Scheme, £10 voucher for every staff member when you receive a 100% customer experience, discounts with companies such as Vodafone/Aviva/etc (https://www.greggsemployeebenefits.co.uk), chance to progress up the ladder
Cons
Hours can be long, Do not walk into the job with the impression it's easy because it's not .
Clicky management and staff
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire25 March 2018
Haven't worked here long,management ok very clicky with certain staff.Face fits great otherwise you haven't a hope! Don't pay your contracted hours :(
Pros
Lunches 50% off
Cons
Long hours, poor communication and wages not always paid
fun workplace
Team member (Former Employee) –  Rushden20 March 2018
greggs is a fun place to work and I enjoyed my time there, the company is very supportive and includes great benefits such as the shares you receive from the company.
Awful Experience
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Norfolk17 March 2018
I have spent the last few years working for Greggs and whilst they try and paint themselves as a model company, they really are awful. They will give you your rota and they can often change it at last minute without asking you if it is OK.

They owe me over £3000 in unpaid overtime which is disgusting. They expect you to clock out then come back to work and continue to work. If you want to leave on time, a manager will take their break as you are about to leave.
Pros
Good staff discount.
Cons
Unpaid hours
Good place to work as a starter job
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Southall15 March 2018
The typical day, first make sandwiches, prepare the peistries, and other foods, then serve customers while baking other food simultaneously.
The salary is good, although the managment can be a bit hectic.
Good and bad
Head office (Former Employee) –  Newcastle9 March 2018
Great job if you are happy to settle, salary is average, benefits are ok, colleagues are friendly, great working hours, good starting block as a first job. Biggest downside for me was there was no progression unless you are related to senior management. Decisions are made unfairly and management have no real training. Promotions are given to relatives and friends rather than to the most suitable candidate.
Pros
Benefits, work life balance, work mates
Cons
No progression, unfairness, management
Fast and fun
Moving stock around by hand (Former Employee) –  Birmingham27 February 2018
No manager to tell you constantly what to do, left to get on with it and it isn't very difficult. The money is not bad but time does go very fast and your shifts are finished in no time.
Pros
Fast
Cons
Low paid
Good hours and friendly staff
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kendal, Cumbria7 February 2018
Due to my skin condition I could not continue working here as I was unable to use my treatment as often as needed. Hours were good and salary was decent.
not the best
Senior Sales Team Member (Current Employee) –  Canterbury5 February 2018
not the best management, no flexibility, unfair scheduling, no benefits, rude staff, no breaks, only one manager in the store so cannot have regular breaks,
Pros
Cons
bad pay
Enjoyable and productive job
Team Member - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Redditch, Worcestershire2 February 2018
Overall working at Greggs is a straight forward job baking, cleaning, serving and restocking inventory. It is a good job to have while studying at University or at school as they are flexible with their hours and listen to you.
Pros
50% discount and a lot of company benefits
productive and enjoabke work place
Senior Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Driffield, East Riding of Yorkshire23 January 2018
I enjoy working at Greggs! the staff are friendly and the management are approachable, Greggs are always striving to provide a high standard of customer service!
Pros
good discount and good rate of pay
Cons
hours always changing
Alright place to work
Team Member - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire16 January 2018
Its a really great place to work with more than fair advantage but over a time it is quite boring, but if you get past that its different place to work
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Productive company with many benefits
Class 2 Driver (Former Employee) –  Treforest ED14 January 2018
Good company to work for,as with any food company ,Hygene,Health and safety is high on the list,free CPC Training,health and safety,Hygene,Manual handling courses.
Pros
Share option scheme, PPE provided, free CPC training, 1/2 price in shops
Cons
Hrs can be long.
Pays well, hard graft
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester5 January 2018
Too many people off sick, stretching people too far. Not a minute to stop, constantly on the go. Quite a lot of abuse from customers, the best part of the job is the team
Pros
Pay is good, discount good
Cons
Long, hard days
Not a good job.
Team member (Former Employee) –  Rosyth3 January 2018
Given that your contract is only 16 hours and they can drop your hours from 39 at any given time, I would seriously not recommend Greggs. I have worked here for a year and the amount of pressure the company puts on you is unrealistic.
Pros
50% discount
Cons
the company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Greggs. Our community is ready to answer.