Greggs Pay & Benefits reviews

Hard work, struggle for a social life
Senior Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  King's Lynn, Norfolk17 August 2018
Not a great place to work, management isn’t good, always short staffed. Long hours, working nearly every weekend. Struggle to have a social life. Have to put your holidays in a year in advance and can’t change them
They really care about their employees.
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carlisle12 August 2018
They have a really good selection of support and benefits for their staff to help them deal with any number of issues outside of work. They provide really good pay on bank holidays, to entice you into working them, and your efforts are noticed and rewarded when you do well. Management bend over backwards to enable you to be able to work if you have problems or clashing commitments, such as childcare. I couldn't rate this employer highly enough. I haven't been there long enough to judge job advancement.
Pros
The people I work with
Cons
The short shifts
Meh.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Maryport6 August 2018
I worked at Greggs for a few months, I was still slow and getting used to the way business worked. I was always told to speed up and that I wasn't fast enough by staff. I get it, but I also have anxiety. Whenever I was told to go quicker, I'd get anxious. I'd burn myself on machinery, toasters, I even fell over on shift trying to reach for a pastry. You need to be fast paced, and comfortable in busy, stressful environments.
Pros
50% off Greggs products, Salary
Cons
Stressful work environment
A good starter job
Team Member - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands3 August 2018
This is my first part time job, it had learnt me to be a lot more methodical and organised, as well as boosting my team working and independent skills.
Pros
50% discount
Cons
Odd shift hours
Better than most retail jobs if in a quiet location
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Swindon28 July 2018
Loved my job here, ended up getting to know quite a few of our regulars to the point of becoming friends. Job's fine pays decently compared to other jobs - with good benefits. Greggs is greggs do might have to be at work early hours in the day, on your feet for the day but with a generous amount of breaks. Hopefully you'll work in a shop with nice people otherwise the grind can get intolerable.
Pros
Good breaks, benefits, 50% off food, paid weekly
Cons
People steal sandwiches all the time
productive and fun workplace
Operative production (Former Employee) –  Penrith, Cumbria28 July 2018
Very good working hours,good earnings and high culture.nice atmosphere.Very good managers.The cleanliness and hygiene of this place is an authority.
Pros
paid break
Cons
there are no minuses
Good
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Walsall26 July 2018
Good company to work for. Great benefits. 50% of greggs own food. Great holiday pay for Christmas day and Easter. Always pleasant staff you are on shift with. great with booking days off
Great Team
Team Member (Current Employee) –  North East25 July 2018
Great people to work with. Really friendly and motivate each other to succeed. Long hours sometimes which can be tiresome when completing back to back however overall a reasonable place to work.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Long Hours/Early Starts
Busy
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Winchester10 July 2018
It is not too busy first thing in the morning, but obviously that depends on the store. It used to get very busy at about 10 and then again for the lunchtime rush which would often last several hours. Over the Christmas period there was often a non-stop rush and pressure for you to try and serve the customers as quickly as possible. I would not recommend this job who is trying to do it alongside something else (e.g. University) as they would not allow me to lessen my hours (still within my contracted amount). While there were negatives, there were also positives. The pay is good, you also get holiday pay and decent staff discount (up to 50%).
Very difficult and hard to get hours ever
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London20 June 2018
Always messing me about with hours and making me travel 2 hours away sometimes to a different Greggs because my store don’t have the hours and that can sometimes get in the way of my personal life and stop me from socialising etc. I once didn’t get a single hour in a week and I didn’t get paid a penny even though I’m on a 16 hour contract and when I asked about the contract and my money the manager said “if you didn’t work the hours you don’t get paid the hours” which is ridiculous because what’s the point I’m having a contract if you don’t enforce it..
Pros
Discount on products
Cons
Always messing me about with my hours
Vibrantly busy and ernest environment to work in.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London12 June 2018
A typical day at Greggs was never the same as the next. It was very demanding and challenging in the sense that I needed to learn how to multi-task. This was a real confidence builder as I learnt many new qualities and strengths I had not shown earlier.
The management team were good for the work they were involved in, I felt at ease and and assertive with the management team in a warm and approachable sense.
The culture was positive in that everyone worked hard and were joined up as a team.
Sometimes communication was a barrier to complete tasks to the best possible effect in terms of knowledge of personal skills and ability.
However I felt that I would not have been discouraged to step up and take on a management position, which I felt was enlightening and an achievement, as this is something I would not have considered doing before.
Pros
Free coffee, Staff discount
Cons
Salary did not match work undertaken.
I'm sorry I left
Team Leader, Supervisor // hornchurch, England (Former Employee) –  England11 May 2018
This has got to be the best company I have worked for.
The support I got from my team, my Manager and from my area manager was unbelievable. this is truly a family business.

Hours were long but well worth it for the bonus you got each year
Pros
50% off, good holidays
Cons
5.00am starts
Greggs
Team member (Current Employee) –  Barnsley, South Yorkshire29 April 2018
Really enjoy working at greggs, its fun and everyone i work with are very nice and friendly, the pay is very good and its a nice environment but hard work
Pros
wages
Cons
hours
You make it or you dont.
management (Current Employee) –  West Midlands27 April 2018
Once you have learnt the job its pretty straight forward. The main issue is the training given isn't what I would class as up to standard compared to other places I have worked. It seems a lot of the training happens like "This is the standard and how you should do it, but this is how we do it.. just don't get caught" and that seems to be the case for all levels of management and onwards. so you'll then get used to doing it the 'easy' way and all of a sudden an Auditor will come in, pick you up on everything you do wrong and then you get the tut tut from higher management and they will say, well we showed you how to do it properly and what the standards are.

work/life balance-. well this is the main reason I'm looking to leave, I don't have a healthy work life balance any more, a couple of weeks ago I had to wait 21 days before I got to spend a full day with my partner. on multiple occasions iv worked anything between 6-16 days without a day off (granted they aren't all full days but that's beside the point). could be put down to poor management but then that goes back on to reflecting poor training.

Pay/ Benefits/ Holiday.. cant complain there, its actually quite good.

Work load- I wouldn't say its fair, most staff would agree that the company knows people come in early and stay later without pay do get the job done so they abuse this even more by adding more and more jobs into it without extending your time to do it and pay. E.G we get 30 minutes to set up in the morning, this includes coming in, turning on all machines and waiting for them to reach temp, cooking the food,
  more... temping it and recording it. setting up the displays, temping all equipment, doing quality checks, setting up tills and counting cash, cutting and buttering many bread rolls and baguettes, checking dates in fridges and freezers, checking delivery's are correct and reporting issues, making sure everything was done properly the night before and correcting anything that wasn't etc etc. yeah its expected in management but they seem to keep adding to the job list so you are squeezes for every millisecond of that morning. Also they change the standards all the time so by the time you get used to something you can guarantee in a few weeks/months time it will change and you will have to adapt to that. Oh and one minute a product has 3 days before it needs chucking out, the next it has 4..? plus you have to serve in a particular way which feels robotic like you are on repeat throughout your day when serving. nothing feels natural about how we serve customers any more which is a shame, its like what do you want, here it is, give me your money and move on.

Its a tough job but rewarding if you can handle the pressure and requirements for it. It doesn't feel like they have family values any more and its all about speed, quality and money. If you like a challenge this job will be perfect for you, if you struggle with pressures then I would advise something else.

I have rated it 3* because its not a bad place to work but for me personally I expected better and have worked for other places that I feel look after and train staff properly. maybe I'm just old fashioned and cant keep up with the times?
Pros
Pay, the team
Cons
so-so training, constantly changing standards and how things should be done.
Decent Job for some money.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wales23 April 2018
Good Job if you can work at a very fast Pace, A lot to do and remember... not the best training and sometimes made to feel not good enough. Hated the shifts, I applied for a 16 hour job with opportunitys to do over time, I needed set shifts due to personal things... I explained this in the interview, and my manger told me yes, and that she would let me know in advance if anything changed, this was incorrect information, Every day I would go in the shifts would change and Some times they would change daily making me either later or early for my shift, also I was given all the over time even though I had asked to be informed if there was any going so I could choose. Pay is decent and you discount and free tea or coffee on tour breaks. Overall a decent job for some money and if you don't mind working all the time and haven't got any responsibilities.
Pros
Good discount
Cons
No Set Shifts
Meh
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Hinckley14 April 2018
Very long hours even if you just have a 16 hour contract. Management wasn't great. Customers can be very rude and they won't care about hurting your feelings at all so you will need to have a thick skin.
Pros
good pay
Cons
Long Hours, don't even get free lunch
ok
Team Member - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire9 April 2018
great work rate and good hour, flexible with hours but not great for sickpay and holidays, team members are always friendly but management could do with improvements
Nurturing company.
Apprentice - Level 2 (Current Employee) –  North West4 April 2018
I started working for the company around two years ago as a stop gap before I went to uni, eventually I ended up leaving uni due to other reasons and the management were so accommodating in adjusting my hours back to what they originally were before I left.

After a management change, I felt I had hit a ceiling in that particular shop and there was no sense of progression for me. Different managers have different styles of working and I clashed with the new assistant manager. I had been with the company for a year at this point and I was looking for another job, the working environment wasn't great, however I really enjoyed the job itself and the benefits with the company are great, so I was really disheartened about looking, however then I found the apprenticeship programme. It must've been fate because the position was actually closer to home, about 5 minutes drive from where I live, and I haven't looked back since.

Greggs nurture and promote in-grown talent. I know from doing my course that my options are open and I can progress up the ladder, I don't need to set myself a limit because the opportunities are limitless if you are willing to work hard to achieve it. There will always be cliques and negativity from some staff members, but this is just a general hazard of any workplace and I'm not going to lie - it's not just standing around selling sausage rolls all day. When you only have 3 members of staff in including management, you'll have plenty to keep you busy whilst still working the Greggs Way, providing warm and friendly service whilst going above and beyond
  more... for your customers & yes, you may get calls whilst you're off, however do not feel that you have to say yes, yes we want staff who are flexible however we still expect you to have a work-life balance.  less
Pros
50% off store-produced products & sweets, 25% off drinks and products bought in (porridge/fruit pots/etc), Free hot drink on breaks, Pension Scheme, Share Save Scheme, £10 voucher for every staff member when you receive a 100% customer experience, discounts with companies such as Vodafone/Aviva/etc (https://www.greggsemployeebenefits.co.uk), chance to progress up the ladder
Cons
Hours can be long, Do not walk into the job with the impression it's easy because it's not .
Clicky management and staff
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire25 March 2018
Haven't worked here long,management ok very clicky with certain staff.Face fits great otherwise you haven't a hope! Don't pay your contracted hours :(
Pros
Lunches 50% off
Cons
Long hours, poor communication and wages not always paid
fun workplace
Team member (Former Employee) –  Rushden20 March 2018
greggs is a fun place to work and I enjoyed my time there, the company is very supportive and includes great benefits such as the shares you receive from the company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Greggs. Our community is ready to answer.