Greggs Employee Reviews for Maintenance Person

hard work but fun
Trainee Senior Team Member (Current Employee) –  Martlesham, Suffolk10 September 2018
starting at 5am to get the shop prepared and filled ready for opening, I've learnt that working as a team is a must to get the job done. Management has a very hard job especially when let down. Work place culture has a great balance. The hardest part is the amount of bending which isn't good for the back. The most enjoyable part of the job is the colleagues and customer relationship even in such a fast pace environment.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
people who don't turn up or call in sick put a lot of pressure on others
Great and Friendly Place to Work
Weekend Team Member (Former Employee) –  Darwen9 July 2018
A typical day would be quiet, yet steady.
I learned a lot of skills including to maintain professionalism under pressure, food and workplace hygiene, cleaning, money handling and customer first. The management there is great.
The hardest part of the job is handling difficult customers, keeping calm under pressure and multitasking in a fast-paced environment. Some days you would have to stay behind for a while, if the day was busy, to ensure the shop is ready for tomorrows staff.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to communicate with other team members, especially if there were any problems or times of need.
Pros
50% Discount Card - 1 Free Coffee Per Break
Cons
Occasional Difficult Customer
Every day is like a waking nightmare
Senior team member (Current Employee) –  Halifax10 September 2018
Very fast paced job with little time to complete tasks. If you thrive on pressure with unrealistic targets then this place is for you, if you want to feel valued by your employer and appreciated then don't bother. They resent you having a family to care for or even having a social life.. had to pretty much BEG for a Saturday off once every couple of months. Senior team member being the biggest joke role, 8.52p/h to practically do the managers job, the stress isn't worth it believe me
Pros
discount
Cons
Rubbish hours/ no home life
An average retail job.
Team Member weekend (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands5 September 2018
As with any job, it's the people you work with that make it.
If you get good staff, like I was lucky to get, it's a pleasant business to work with.
And like most businesses, you get some who wish to dominate others and ruin it for everyone.

Customers are hit and miss. Security is nonexistent. Job itself is easy if you're actually trained to do it.

Just an average retail job.
Pros
50% discount
Cons
Consistent abuse from customers and sometimes staff
Good first job
Weekend Team Member (Former Employee) –  Salford26 November 2018
I worked here when I was 16 and found it a goof starting place to gain experience and make some money. The pay was good for my age and it is likely to have got better now since wages have increased.
Not good
Weekend team member (Former Employee) –  Hanley9 May 2018
greggs has bad management
I have good social skills
I learned that I am good at selling
I am quick at learning
good with till work
good with customers
good team player
Pros
Discount
Cons
bad management
Fast paced working
Senior Team Member (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Glasgow4 November 2017
Friendly environment, fast working. Developed my marketing skills while working there. Management was absent for most of the time i was working there. Strict culture. Hardest part of the job was the waste of unsold food at the end of the day. Employees had a discount on products,
Part Timer's Dream
Weekend Team Member (Former Employee) –  Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire21 October 2017
All depends on your management. In my experience over two years as a part time employee while studying it's a simple role and you do what anyone would expect. Basic customer service, cleaning and food handling. Management are key to making it an enjoyable experience.
Pros
Cheaper Food
Cons
Long Hours
day at work
Team Member/Senior sales (Current Employee) –  Irvine, SCT24 July 2015
normal day clock in set up shop unpacking delivery sometimes on bake off putting pastries into oven sometimes on sandwiches making sandwiches up for the customers serving customers making sure they are happy with their order clean as you go making sure shop clean and tidy working with collagues pushing all targets making sure shop is reaching growth encouraging to raise money for charity such as chidren in need and greggs foundation most evenings stale food clean shop set up for next day working different shifts they start at 6.15am go through to 6.30pm enjoyable part of the job serving customers letting them know about all the deals thats on hardest part cleaning on the close shifts
Pros
discount health care shares profit yearly pension
Cons
high level of cleaning
Very productive, good team to work with, really good salary and benefits
Weekend Team Member (Current Employee) –  Aberystwyth26 April 2017
I have worked here for nearly a year and half, its been a fun experience working there. Really good salary and has brilliant benefit. It has been my first job and have enjoyed being part of the team.
Pros
Salary, Free coffee
Cons
Bad management, changed hours
Busy, Productive Fun place
Weekend Team Member (Current Employee) –  Lichfield9 January 2017
Job roles can be expected to be baking off food on time. making sandwich at an early start so they made on time for customers. Setting up shop on time before open, serving customers etc. You must be diligent in order for everything else to be 100% satisfactory, if one thing isn’t done right, workloads can start to pile up. Following Health Safety Regulations. You have to be very fast paced in order to keep ques down, have patience and understanding to be able to react professionally to unexpected changes and so forth. Flexibility is key for busy times of the year such as Christmas and Events held in which ever city/town you work in.
Pros
50% off Greggs products, free hot drinks on breaks, well set breaks
Cons
Long hours but still get a good pay from it
Greggs a tale of 2 places
senior team member (Former Employee) –  Bristol, ENG2 February 2015
I worked in reading and enjoyed it great team and management moved to Bristol worked in city centre and discovered that the store was not professionally run staff member changing around the back not in changing rooms ,changing your hours without telling you and management having their favourites .
They would also make you work 12 hour shift day after day and not appreciate it and get funny with you if you ask for time off and they run the shifts so tight that there isn't enough staff to run the shop properly.
The management don't lead by example and just go home at the end of their shift without doing a proper changeover.
The company also don't provide lunch for breaks even if your working all day.
Senior management are also out of touch with the staff on the shop floor.
As I said it must depend where you are working if it's enjoyable or not but as I said I enjoyed Reading but hated Bristol .
Pros
Good wage and weekly paid
Cons
No free lunch, no appreciation and bad atmosphere
Just not a good experience
Team Member (Weekends) (Current Employee) –  Bristol, ENG2 December 2014
At first my personal experience at Greggs was enjoyable but things started taking a turn for the worse, Unless you are happy 24/7 with other team members then this isn't the job for you, management start getting funny over it and you are labeled as rude. Also it is really important that you don't try and swap shifts or take time off as you will create waves with management. If you are late for the shift they let you know about 20 minutes before you start you will be labeled as unreliable and a last resort.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Bad Management, Unfriendly atmosphere, No overtime pay
Tiring, But good
Weekend Team Member (Current Employee) –  Belper29 September 2016
Working at greggs is good. You need a lot of energy, and your on your feet a lot but the atmosphere is nice. Everybody is friendly and the management know what they are doing and how to help everybody do what they need to do. Training is extensive and sometimes more common sense than anything. You will burn yourself a lot. The hardest part of the job is learning, there is a lot to learn; different products, deals and methods used for each line of sales can get confusing but you soon pick it up.
Pros
50% staff discount, good training
Cons
Pro rata hours. Lots to remember
Not the same company anymore
Senior Team Member (Current Employee) –  Glasgow13 October 2015
I've worked as a Senior Team Member with Greggs for 6 years now in many different shops.

I loved the job when I started as I was part of a great team with fantastic management - turns out this was a one-off, and since I've moved around it's gradually got worse as shop hours have been cut. It's true that it really is a faceless company now.

You work variable hours up and over what you're contracted for (with no say in the matter), and are constantly multi-tasking - I now do work that three staff members would share when I started with the company. You're under high pressure in busy shops ie 2 of you serving, a queue out the door, pasties needing put in the oven and sandwiches needing made up. And good luck asking for days off or holidays because you'll be ruining the manager's day.

Greggs doesn't care about its staff anymore. I'm currently searching for another job due to all the reasons listed above. It's a very hard, physically demanding, stressful job and you won't be well supported.
Pros
discount
Cons
short staff, physically demanding, 12 hour days, management are difficult, little support
Senior staff out of touch with hard workers on the floor
Senior Team Member (Current Employee) –  Carlisle12 October 2016
Currently work at Greggs found out my job was advertised on this website whilst I was still in the position. Very hard work and very little gratitude is shown towards the hard working staff in the shop. Area manager cared about no one other than herself, wouldn't even greet half the staff. Hours are all over the place early morning starts and late evening finishes. Of course big bosses don't do those hours.
Pros
Reasonable pay
Cons
Long hours, no gratitude
fun environment
weekend team member (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG27 November 2014
A typical day at work was preparing the products ready for the oncoming day. I learned how to bake fresh goods. The management wasn't as good as i hoped as he didn't always seem to know what he was doing. The colleagues were fun to be around. The hardest part of this job roles was knowing the cooking times for the products, the most enjoyable part was learning new skills and baking new products.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Shifts
Talk about being stretched to the limit!
Senior Team member (Former Employee) –  Reading Victoria Street and West Street3 November 2016
I would not recommend working for Gregg's bakery. You are on your feet all shift multi-tasking throughout the day. Management is abusive and toward staff and where there should be three people working only two people are employed i.e. two staff members have to do the work load of three people!
Pros
subsidised lunch
Cons
early morning starts, poor abusive management
Fun workplace but unsociable hours
Senior Team Member (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol25 February 2017
The teams are great and it is a fun place to work in, although the hours are not the best. One day you could be finishing at 7.30pm, to be in at 5.30am the next day. There are chances to progress in your career.
Boring place to work
Weekend Team Member (Former Employee) –  Reading12 August 2017
A typical day at work included me working alone all day. I learned that this job was not for me. The hardest part of the job was putting up with my grumpy supervisor honestly. CONSTANT nagging. You will find people that genuinely enjoy working at Greggs and some that realllly don't.
Pros
50% discount of anything made in the store.
Cons
If there are no customers it will get boring.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Greggs. Our community is ready to answer.