Greggs Employee Reviews

Feels like working in a family
Manager (Current Employee) –  South East12 October 2018
Greggs is a very hardworking and fast paced environment, the company and it's employees have very high standards and expectations. Job progression is very easy at Gregg's, hard work is rewarded.
Pros
Staff discount, the people that you work with
Cons
Early mornings, hard work, on your feet most of the day
My Years at Greggs
Team Member - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Biggleswade11 October 2018
I've had good days and bad days working for Greggs. A typical day at Greggs would be. After clocking in wash hands, then see if your work mate needs help serving the customers, if it's just the one customer, check to see if anything needs to go in the ovens or if the cakes and sweet foods needs topping up.
Once all that is done the I either fill up the drinks or crisps or I clean the sides up.

I'm always learning new things when i work at Greggs, I've learnt how to link sell our product, I've learnt how to use the equipment we have from the dishwasher to the turbo chef mini oven and the bigger ovens.

I've had some good and bad mangers whilst working at Greggs. The current manger is really support and kind. I've worked at Greggs for nearly 11 years and i've had 7 mangers and only 1 of those was bad.

The current atmosphere at Greggs is a wonderful one.

The hardest part of working there, is getting the shop ready for the next day before we shut. Especially when we get customers come in.

The most enjoyable thing i enjoy about working here is the staff and the customers.
Pros
Free hot drinks everyday during work days and 50% discount on all greggs foods
Cons
Disgruntled customers, i'm not very good with confrontations or customers fighting each other.
Rubbish hours, rubbish company to work for
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Sheffield10 October 2018
I worked at Greggs for a few months but I got sack for having a chest infection even with a sick note!! The money was rubbish and the hours wasn't good
Pros
staff discount on food
Cons
Poor management, poor hours and money
average
Customer Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicestershire10 October 2018
working a Greggs was fine and ok pay. hours were good for me as a student as I could start early and finish early. the training you receive is good quality
Horrible Place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Havant3 October 2018
I wasn't treated very nicely at all whilst working for greggs. I always felt like I wasn't welcome within the workplace. I would not recommend working for this company to anybody. My brothers girlfriend applied, but I talked her out of it!
Pros
50% off goods
Cons
EVERYTHING else
The job was ok
Manager (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire3 October 2018
It was an ok place to work . The problem was that some area managers were not up to standard so made the job of manager very difficult. I felt you only got promoted if your face fit not by merit.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Not alot of recognition
fun workplace
Team Member (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London28 September 2018
Great workplace and great people. Getting to know people and they are friendly. I learned how to operate back of house and front of the house. Also how to operate their oven
Pros
discount on lunches
Cons
limited lunch have to pay
Harder then expexted
Shop assistant and cashier (Current Employee) –  Runcorn27 September 2018
Working at Greggs is great however it’s very hard. You get dehydrated a lot and it’s very stuffy, you’re constantly on your feet and the heat from ovens is a lot. It’s very tiring especially with 6am shifts. However it’s perks are such as a discount card up to 50% off and free regualr hot drinks when working/on break.
Pros
Hot drinks
Cons
Early hours
Greggs
Team Member (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London27 September 2018
Anybody lower then management gets treated like trash, the shifts can feel long and difficult as you are left to get on alone with no help from the "team".
The pay is good and there are good benefits but these sadly don't make up for how you are treated.
Pros
Discount Card
Cons
Bad Management
Good environment and company
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth17 September 2018
I had great experience whilst working for Greggs, always easy contact with the manager in terms of figuring out salary, days off or personal problems. Never had a bad experience with the workplace.
Horrible place to work.
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Letchworth15 September 2018
Worst place to work. During the interview it was made out to be a fun rewarding job, however once you join the ‘team’ you realise it’s far from the truth. They expect too much from one person and expect you to learn everything within a few days. I didn’t like the way that management spoke to me, I believe it was quite rude. Before I accepted the job I made arrangements with the manager that I would get a lift in with them due to when train times start. After starting I get told that if I want a lift I’ll have to go in even earlier with them and not get paid for however much earlier I was in for. Worst mistake accepting the job and by far the worst place I’ve ever worked.
Pros
Discount Card
Cons
Management, Hours, Everything
Worst experience
Team member (Current Employee) –  Tottenham Court Road12 September 2018
The manager did nit know what he was doing h would leave for 2hrs and come back. The staff was rude and due to being only 17 they will undermine my ability and will order me around. The manager will change the time i start may shift without informing me and complain than i am late. I was then called a lair by the management team, which made me feel belittled and alone.
hard work but fun
Trainee Senior Team Member (Current Employee) –  Martlesham, Suffolk10 September 2018
starting at 5am to get the shop prepared and filled ready for opening, I've learnt that working as a team is a must to get the job done. Management has a very hard job especially when let down. Work place culture has a great balance. The hardest part is the amount of bending which isn't good for the back. The most enjoyable part of the job is the colleagues and customer relationship even in such a fast pace environment.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
people who don't turn up or call in sick put a lot of pressure on others
Fun Place to work
Team Member - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Merry Hill, West Midlands10 September 2018
When I did my first shift, I was scared since I hadnt been on the till or coffee machine, now I am comfortable being on till and coffee machine. the public are quite friendly, they like to laugh and joke, I have struggled a few times but my co-workers have always been on hand to help.
The hardest part of the job is if you are new and you dont know what items are where on the till, you can struggle with that but as long as you explain that you are new, 99% of the customers are fine.
The managers are lovely and are always happy to answer any questions/queries you may have and they will do their best to address it.
I have now learnt that when nobody is in store, its best to clean the area around you so you can at least know that you are ready and you have done your job.
Pros
50% on food and drinks, free breaks and great staff
Cons
Customers can be moody, till goes down
Every day is like a waking nightmare
Senior team member (Current Employee) –  Halifax10 September 2018
Very fast paced job with little time to complete tasks. If you thrive on pressure with unrealistic targets then this place is for you, if you want to feel valued by your employer and appreciated then don't bother. They resent you having a family to care for or even having a social life.. had to pretty much BEG for a Saturday off once every couple of months. Senior team member being the biggest joke role, 8.52p/h to practically do the managers job, the stress isn't worth it believe me
Pros
discount
Cons
Rubbish hours/ no home life
busy work environment
Greggs Team Member (Former Employee) –  Doncaster9 September 2018
Great company to work for, especial if you're wanting a small job for the weekends or just occassional in the week. Great benefits and pay however due to personal reasons i had to leave
good place to work
Team Member - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire9 September 2018
I worked there from the age of 17-20 part time while in college then uni, good wage, nice staff but quite a stressful Job as I worked in a busy shop and there is a lot to do and a lot is expected of you, its not hard, theres quite a bit of stuff to remember but you pick it up quickly. a typical day at work consists of baking the products, putting them out, putting together multipacks, cooking the breakfast range, making drinks, cleaning making sandwiches serving customers etc.
Pros
free hot drinks on you breaks, good wage, 50% off, good holiday benefits
Cons
long hours, busy, very hot in the summer near the ovens
Avoid if you want to see your children grow up
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  West Bromwich9 September 2018
An amazing team but Poor management no respect for anyone below them. staff are expected to put the lives on hold for shift changes at the drop of a hat no appreciation for staff. No company values and ridiculously long hours
Pros
Discount and shares
Cons
Long hours constant shift changes
Average food retail job ran on a shoe string.
manager (Former Employee) –  Wiltshire8 September 2018
Team member job pretty ideal, senior sales/supervisor role is a joke. Little pay for same job as manager. A lot of corrupt management/back stabbing/lack of communication and favouritism. Ridiculous illegal hours (16 hour shifts and no 11 hour gap between shifts), 42 hour contract can mean 42-60 and not getting those hours back. Company has been growing but the team numbers have not been at all; as soon as somebody rings in sick your day is rubbish from then on , let’s be honest - who’s going to answer their phone to come into work at 4:30am? How are you meant to do the job of 2-3 people and get the shop up to ‘standard’?
Training is absolutely herrendous, not enough training hours for part time team members to learn the ropes properly.
Everyone cuts corners (even those golden ones!) and as soon as food safety auditor comes in nothing can be done due to procedures being absolutely over board (especially sandwiches!).
Meetings that could easily be done in a conference call are held, when there’s lack of staff and management (which is 90% of the time) they still want to hold these meetings.
If you have a car expect to be thrown in every store possible.
A lot of personal vendettas from above management , even a ‘hit list’ at one point. Only the certain people who cut corners that they do not like will be disciplined/sacked.
Very behind the times but (extremely) slowly getting there.
Pretty good discount - stupid way of having to use it. You will have to queue behind a line of people nearly out of the door in order to get something on your tiny 15 minute break. The queue
  more... is out of the door due to the whole thing being run on a shoe string with 3 bodies at maximum - 2 when you’re doing your 6-9 hour sandwich production!
It used to be like a real family feel and fun run business but has turned into one that is all about the £money and not about the lives and happiness of people. I was very sad to see that time pass.
You will find yourself going in early/staying late/missing breaks (you probably won’t even get one if someone rings in sick) as management. If you’re working under management make sure you get your breaks, say something; I’ve seen and heard too much unfair treatment from other management.
Sunday hours are stupidly long - 7am-6pm , meant to do 1 in 3 but know of supervisors/senior sales doing every weekend and not even having a choice.
All in all, stick to your contract, don’t feel guilty if they try that trick when you don’t want to do anything outside of your contract and treat everyone fairly in your team you will be okay. Hopefully.
Pros
A whole free hot drink on your break, good discount
Cons
Silly policies and procedures, corrupt management, unfair treatment
Discusting
Production Operative (Former Employee) –  Gosforth, Tyne and Wear7 September 2018
I worked for Greggs for about 12 years they treated staff like school kids say the cameras are for security only but when the manager comes in the next morning asks why people were standing around for 10 mins at the end of a shift it’s because he was watching us on his laptop at home really bad place to work not recommended at all
Pros
Share scheme
Cons
No work life balance management are discusting unions rubbish don’t brother

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Greggs. Our community is ready to answer.