Greggs Employee Reviews

Honestly Terrible
Senior Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands16 April 2018
I've been involved in a robbery with no support from the company. I have had multiple problems and have taken it higher for nothing to be done. I have felt victimised and bullied and nobody in the company takes it seriously. The only positive is profit share
nice team but the management
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  London15 April 2018
nice team but the management is expecting so much from us for not even £8. they never listen to you especially higher management like area manager. no stuff room, no lockers
Pros
free hot drinks
Cons
management rude
Meh
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Hinckley14 April 2018
Very long hours even if you just have a 16 hour contract. Management wasn't great. Customers can be very rude and they won't care about hurting your feelings at all so you will need to have a thick skin.
Pros
good pay
Cons
Long Hours, don't even get free lunch
Loved every bit of my job
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Walsall, West Midlands11 April 2018
I love working for greggs. On a daily basis I would do roles such as serving customers, till work, stacking food and drink fridges. Preparing sandwiches and other food. Making hot drinks aswell as soups. I also done baking. I would often re stock products when they were sold out. I would open and shut the shop and I would do cleaning.
Pros
Discount on food and drinks
Cons
Not enough hours
ok
Team Member - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire9 April 2018
great work rate and good hour, flexible with hours but not great for sickpay and holidays, team members are always friendly but management could do with improvements
Productive and fun work place
Team Member (Former Employee) –  East Kilbride9 April 2018
Every day was different and I was always learning new things. Team work is everything, I worked really closely with my colleagues and it was a lot of fun. The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely serving the customers, always nice to have a chat with them.
Pros
Discount on food and drink
Cons
Short lunch time
Nurturing company.
Apprentice - Level 2 (Current Employee) –  North West4 April 2018
I started working for the company around two years ago as a stop gap before I went to uni, eventually I ended up leaving uni due to other reasons and the management were so accommodating in adjusting my hours back to what they originally were before I left.

After a management change, I felt I had hit a ceiling in that particular shop and there was no sense of progression for me. Different managers have different styles of working and I clashed with the new assistant manager. I had been with the company for a year at this point and I was looking for another job, the working environment wasn't great, however I really enjoyed the job itself and the benefits with the company are great, so I was really disheartened about looking, however then I found the apprenticeship programme. It must've been fate because the position was actually closer to home, about 5 minutes drive from where I live, and I haven't looked back since.

Greggs nurture and promote in-grown talent. I know from doing my course that my options are open and I can progress up the ladder, I don't need to set myself a limit because the opportunities are limitless if you are willing to work hard to achieve it. There will always be cliques and negativity from some staff members, but this is just a general hazard of any workplace and I'm not going to lie - it's not just standing around selling sausage rolls all day. When you only have 3 members of staff in including management, you'll have plenty to keep you busy whilst still working the Greggs Way, providing warm and friendly service whilst going above and beyond
  more... for your customers & yes, you may get calls whilst you're off, however do not feel that you have to say yes, yes we want staff who are flexible however we still expect you to have a work-life balance.  less
Pros
50% off store-produced products & sweets, 25% off drinks and products bought in (porridge/fruit pots/etc), Free hot drink on breaks, Pension Scheme, Share Save Scheme, £10 voucher for every staff member when you receive a 100% customer experience, discounts with companies such as Vodafone/Aviva/etc (https://www.greggsemployeebenefits.co.uk), chance to progress up the ladder
Cons
Hours can be long, Do not walk into the job with the impression it's easy because it's not .
good atmoshpere
Packer (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear4 April 2018
it was a very good job, i didn't have a contract but they always managed to find work for me this is a good for place if you have a family, it is as if sometimes they know whats best for you almost like having a parent in your corner
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Not ready for large scale testing
Test Analyst (Former Employee) –  Longbenton4 April 2018
I found that Greggs were trying to do too much all at once, they were implementing an enterprise wide SAP rollout without experienced staff.
In my opinion they should have used contract resource to implement and brought permanent resource on board to be trained by the contract staff with a view to maintaining their systems.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
No existing testing culture
Worked with Greggs for over 2 years
Team member (Current Employee) –  Biggleswade27 March 2018
A very fun and lively environment. Can be highly stressful as staff are often ill and many shops haven't recruited enough staff for cover. You would often get a phone call on days off seeing if you could work or travel to another shop.

My advice is you need to have very good customer skills, a level of banter shall we say because customers can be very jokey and demanding. You must be able to keep your cool in all of these situations.

However the discount is great you get 50% off yourself. The people that you work with are lovely and the management are easy going nice people.
Pros
50% discount unlimted hot drinks on shift
Cons
Unpredictable hours, called on your days off
Clicky management and staff
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire25 March 2018
Haven't worked here long,management ok very clicky with certain staff.Face fits great otherwise you haven't a hope! Don't pay your contracted hours :(
Pros
Lunches 50% off
Cons
Long hours, poor communication and wages not always paid
Hard work
Assistant Manageress (Former Employee) –  London25 March 2018
I worked here years ago, I started when it was the Bakers Oven. Greggs took over whilst I was there, I would like to think things have changed. The work was very hard and you were on your feet all day. I gained good experience here and it gave me valuable knowledge to move forward. We were always short staffed and the company had no plans to replace staff that had left. Therefore the pressure got too much so both myself and the manager left at the same time.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Not enough staff
Fun Place
Weekend Staff (Former Employee) –  Edgeley and Cheadle Heath23 March 2018
I worked at Greggs for 5 years and although the starts are a bit early I loved the team I worked with, we always had a laugh throughout the day whilst getting work done. Our shop manger was the loveliest woman you could meet and you could always approach her and the assistant manager with any problems you had.
Pros
Discounted food, progression, shares scheme
Greggs is a good company to work for
Team member (Current Employee) –  London22 March 2018
At greggs its fast paced especially at certain times during the day. It is a fun place to work and its really nice working in a team.
You get to meet lots of different people. i learnt a lot about the different coffee's and pastry dishes. Greggs always introduces new items to their menus so you are constantly learning.
Pros
free lunches and a pension
Finance Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear21 March 2018
Friendly atmosphere, good work-life balance. Lots of long-serving staff but also means fewer opportunities to progress upwards, although training and encouragement to do so is provided.
fun workplace
Team member (Former Employee) –  Rushden20 March 2018
greggs is a fun place to work and I enjoyed my time there, the company is very supportive and includes great benefits such as the shares you receive from the company.
wouldn't even give it 1 star!!!
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Bradford20 March 2018
worked in 1 of the Bradford west Yorkshire branches absolutely shocking management will change your shift with less than 24 hours notice but when you say that you cant do a certain shift you get threatened with higher management. a certain member of staff who had been there 15 years+ didn't follow correct procedure which then resulted in a serious injury nothing was done about the injury and nothing was said or done to that member of staff! the accident wasn't even recorded until I called higher management myself also NO FIRST AIDERS!!! Management very 2 faced and talk about staff behind their backs then all nicey nice to their face.. only decent thing about the job is the staff discount.. everything else is absolutely shocking AVOID!!!!
Pros
staff discount
Cons
management, health and safety, rota's. everything
Nice staff horrible management
Baking operative (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh17 March 2018
Management was the worst i have ever witnessed. Unless you were not British then you are laughing .................................. ..............
Pros
N/a
Cons
No overtime unless you kissed a** or not British
Awful Experience
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Norfolk17 March 2018
I have spent the last few years working for Greggs and whilst they try and paint themselves as a model company, they really are awful. They will give you your rota and they can often change it at last minute without asking you if it is OK.

They owe me over £3000 in unpaid overtime which is disgusting. They expect you to clock out then come back to work and continue to work. If you want to leave on time, a manager will take their break as you are about to leave.
Pros
Good staff discount.
Cons
Unpaid hours
Good place to work as a starter job
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Southall15 March 2018
The typical day, first make sandwiches, prepare the peistries, and other foods, then serve customers while baking other food simultaneously.
The salary is good, although the managment can be a bit hectic.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Greggs. Our community is ready to answer.