Greggs Employee Reviews

Rubbish recruitment process
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon22 June 2018
Been to interview twice. Both times went really well and got all the right noises from the interviewer.
But then the sheet they fill in gets sent off to be graded apparently.
I have all the perfect experience for the job and passion but get rejected.
Yet another job that prefers to hire people who have little to no experience as opposed to people who would easily merge and do have experience.
Damned if you have experience and for better jobs damned if you don’t.
Pros
Discount if you get it
Cons
Don’t like to take you on if you have experience
Very difficult and hard to get hours ever
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London20 June 2018
Always messing me about with hours and making me travel 2 hours away sometimes to a different Greggs because my store don’t have the hours and that can sometimes get in the way of my personal life and stop me from socialising etc. I once didn’t get a single hour in a week and I didn’t get paid a penny even though I’m on a 16 hour contract and when I asked about the contract and my money the manager said “if you didn’t work the hours you don’t get paid the hours” which is ridiculous because what’s the point I’m having a contract if you don’t enforce it..
Pros
Discount on products
Cons
Always messing me about with my hours
no family life
Team Member (Former Employee) –  manchester19 June 2018
Considering Greggs say "welcome to the Greggs family" or call themselves "Greggs Family", there is no family. Area managers, Greggs Head Office managers and the CEO have no compassion or humanity. All they want to do is tick boxes.
Staff cannot have a routine or a family life because of the ridiculous opening times and Sunday working.
I would never work for them again.
Cons
very early starts, no family life and no routine
great workplace
Till operator - baker - sandwich maker (Former Employee) –  Llandudno17 June 2018
Great place to work. supportive management team. Opportunities to progress. Reasonable hours. The company has good reputation so often customers would arrive and leave happy.
Productive fun workplace
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Bingley, West Yorkshire9 June 2018
Greggs is a very fun place to work. Staff and other team members are kind and were very supportive and helpful when I began working there. I have learned a lot about the company and generally enjoy working there.
Pros
Good discount and consistent breaks
Positive good workplace
Team Member (Former Employee) –  London8 June 2018
Greggs was as good as retail gets. A typical day of work consists of being mostly on the tills serving customers, other tasks include: stocking food and drinks, during breakfast hours preparing food, cleaning, and baking. The work itself was not very tiring or difficult. I learned how to deal with all kinds of customers and serve efficiently in a very fast paced environment. Management at my store were excellent, very understanding and listened to your needs regarding hours. Was able to work when I wanted which is important as a student. Training was really good, you were never asked to do something you hadn't been trained to do. Hardest part of the job was the early starts,as early as 5:30am and opening and closing up shop with not enough staff. Most enjoyable part of the job was the really good team of friendly people that got along very well and this was reflected in the good customer service.
Pros
flexible hours, discount on food and drink, good management and team
Cons
early starts, understaffed
good place to work
Production Line Operator (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne30 May 2018
Aside from the expected machinery and planning problems of food manufacturing, Greggs is a very good place to work with a family feel among colleagues. Little chances of career progression but skill recognition by supervisors who try and move you 'up the ladder' when they can.
No team culture
Shop Maintenance Engineer (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh30 May 2018
Everybody and all departments seem to work as individuals without ignoring the ultimate goal, to work together to improve customer experience.

Opinions on how to improve working practices are ignored. Information comes down easily but from the bottom, pushing information up does not work.

A blame culture is sneaking in and this may be due to the reliance upon stats and targets etc.
Pros
spouse discount
Cons
upper management
horrible place to work
Senior Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire28 May 2018
managers and area managers have no respect , I worked and a lot of greggs shops and managers are horrible people even if your sister has been given 24hrs to live or die manager said cant leave. another occasion my mum rang up to let me know my sister was in a car crash , manager hung up and didn't pass on message till end of my shift because she felt I would want to leave if I heard it .
Great working environment
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Houghton le Spring, Tyne and Wear24 May 2018
Generally an excellent and supportive workplace. I have learned a lot of skills including providing excellent customer service and improving my interpersonal relations and communication skills. Overall a lovely place to work.
Pros
Discount
excellent
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Durham23 May 2018
I always enjoyed working here its a face paced environment and the staff where always friendly. The training I received was brilliant. I would recommend a job with this company too anyone.
Busy challenging fast paced
Catering Assistant - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Leeds23 May 2018
You learn as you go it's a nice job in a nice shop I enjoyed the time I worked there but it wasn't challenging enough for me you get all kinds of customers it's a small shop so it's easy to look after
Pros
You get discount on food obviously
Cons
Your feet ache at the end of the day
Hardworking but worth the pay
Senior Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire22 May 2018
Good job, excellent pay good management team, excellent training programme, stores open at different times mine was 5:30 start and 5:30 finish, depending on your role depends on your daily duty.
Pros
Free Hot Drink
Productive workplace
Senior Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester Central22 May 2018
Great focus is placed on ensuring customer satisfaction. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with a great synchronized team on the shop floor, and the hardest part would be the long hours.
Pros
50% discount on all Greggs products
Cons
Typical kitchen work but on a big scale
Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alum Rock, Birmingham21 May 2018
This job taught me how a lot of Greggs products are made, it gave me a satisfaction of hygiene alongside health and safety within the business. I my self a regular Greggs customer would say working in the warehouse is quite challenging, however the products come to a high standard which would make me still recommend Greggs to family and friends.
Pros
Fixed lunch breaks, discounted items
Cons
fun work place poor higher boss
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Uxbridge, Greater London20 May 2018
head office management were poor and made general staff feel inferior. they were constantly finding way to put people down.
in general though great atmosphere amongst general staff and friendly place to work.
Pros
great team
Cons
head office sucked
Joke
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  London14 May 2018
I cant describe this place well enough. if you love yourself you wont apply, this place made me feel like i was living in the heart non speaking aliens. no one wanted to communicate. a joke
Pros
home time
Cons
arriving
I'm sorry I left
Team Leader, Supervisor // hornchurch, England (Former Employee) –  England11 May 2018
This has got to be the best company I have worked for.
The support I got from my team, my Manager and from my area manager was unbelievable. this is truly a family business.

Hours were long but well worth it for the bonus you got each year
Pros
50% off, good holidays
Cons
5.00am starts
Amazing place to work
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull10 May 2018
Friendly company, good pay, good work/life balance. superior staff was easy to talk too making an issues less stressful or daunting for myself as an employee.
Not good
Weekend team member (Former Employee) –  Hanley9 May 2018
greggs has bad management
I have good social skills
I learned that I am good at selling
I am quick at learning
good with till work
good with customers
good team player
Pros
Discount
Cons
bad management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Greggs. Our community is ready to answer.