Greggs Employee Reviews

Found 1,183 reviews matching the search See all 1,186 reviews
Absolutely hated it!
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Harrogate, North Yorkshire12 December 2018
Didn’t get any training before starting or even in my first few weeks! The managers made me feel so stupid, i felt sick every time i thought about going!
Pros
Cons
bad management
I enjoy it
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Reading, UK11 December 2018
Greggs is a fine place to work and I enjoy working there, I feel that I have learnt while I have been workng there and work with good people who are fun to be around
Pros
Hours I work part time
Cons
Changing of shifts in relation to the hours I work
Tiring and Not worth it
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire6 December 2018
Unless your an early bird this is not your job morning shifts start at 5:30 and close doesn't shut till 7:30. This is not a very rewarding it is soul destroying being honest, i've worked hear for 2 years and could not see my self staying any longer. Management is either with you or against you. Not the best job if you want to go out and live your life.
unorganised
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  East London, Greater London6 December 2018
I used to work at greggs a few weeks ago fair enough the weekly pay was good, but I wasn’t on a fixed contract. It was 16 hours one week then the next 22 without asking permission. My first shift I was treated as if I knew everything already. I was struggling a lot and they didn’t ask if I was alright. My third shift in I was on my own until 6 when the shop closed, I never knew A THING my first time cleaning and I was getting shouted and and my manager clearly didn’t like me. Asking questions to get to know the work place and I was getting looked down on because “they are better than me”. Overall the workplace was brutal, when I started at 6am one time it was my first early start and yet again I didn’t know what to do. And yet again was i getting shouted at. Everywhere is different with managers and how kind people are but greggs will always be greggs.
Pros
Staff Discount, weekly pay.
Cons
Long hours, early starts.
Worst place to work.
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands6 December 2018
Vile environment. Unprofessional management from top to bottom. All more interestd in gossip then anything else. More mature in a primary school playground.
Houes are long and little to no breaks. Expects the store to come first regardless of your situation.
Pros
Cons
Managment. Hours. Pay. Treatment
It was ok
Senior Team Member (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke, Hampshire, UK4 December 2018
Hard to balance work life and outside life. They were ok at the start but as you stay longer you realise how they manipulate you in to more hours and to cancel plans the managers at the most part only care about themselves. If you are looking at a management job I would gladly tell you to look else where. Me being there for almost 2 years I have lost a lot of weight and health, great job if your looking to lose weight as well as lose your social life.
Pros
ok pay
Cons
terible hours and care to employees
Good Place
Sale Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woking, UK3 December 2018
Greggs at Woking Town Centre is a lovely place to work for. Amazing and helpful staff to train and follow up on you. It is a busy environment, always on your feet but it is very rewarding.
Pros
Discount on meals.
Cons
Burn yourself a lot.
Busy but friendly workplace
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Middlesbrough, UK3 December 2018
Typical shifts range from 4 hours to 8 hours, breaks are paid but a half hour dinner is unpaid for shifts over 6 hours.

Work tasks can vary but generally the same jobs are done each day depending on whether you start early or are on the close of the shop.

Other staff members are always friendly and willing to help each other out in order to get through the day with the minimal amount of stress.

The job can be difficult during the later hours of breakfast and the lunchtime rushes but if there is enough staff on it is manageable.
Pros
50% discount and other benefits on the website
Cons
Early starts (5:30 AM) and limited working hours due to no late shifts.
Great Values.
Team Member - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Birmingham27 November 2018
I worked for Greggs for 2 years and as a student who has worked in previous retail places, working for Greggs was a lovely experience. The values the organisation had for its staff members with constant positive reinforcement was amazing. It was a pleasure to go into work instead of feeling like it was going to be a long dreaded day. Very easy to pick up job roles. It is very fast-paced but excellent to work in.
Pros
Team values, Easy to learn jobs
Good first job
Weekend Team Member (Former Employee) –  Salford26 November 2018
I worked here when I was 16 and found it a goof starting place to gain experience and make some money. The pay was good for my age and it is likely to have got better now since wages have increased.
Good pay bad environment
Team Member - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands21 November 2018
Lots of work for what you get paid. Food industry is a grafting field anyway. Good discounts, management is a bit on the selfish side when it comes to allocating hours. Good holidays.
Pros
Good hours, good holidays
Cons
lots of work, hard work
Fun workplace and friendly staff
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton18 November 2018
My day to day routine here would be to serve customers and be on baking duties as well as ensuring there were a sufficient amount of items on stock. The management was very supportive and professional and the training provided was excellent. Serving customers were the most enjoyable part of the job for me.
It was good, but unorganised
Team Member - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire17 November 2018
I did like my time at Greggs, however the mundane tasks got very boring. I was studying at the time and with the early mornings and nagging to remember every ingredient straight away wasn't for me. I felt like I was thrown into the deep-end without much guidance. I felt like the staff were a bit rude even though I was new and almost condescending. The staff were a bit rowdy (not a morning person) and had many times where one had to leave early. Just not for me. I'm quitting after tomorrow's shift as I'd much rather focus on uni work and my future.

Nevertheless, I learnt a lot, definitely great if you don't have deadlines every other week and really need the extra time on weekends to catch up. Good for first years, teens, or people wanting to progress further. A
Pros
A free coffee
Cons
Mundane tasks, rowdy staff
Transport supervisor and mamanger couldn’t run a bath and lie through their teeth
Class II Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester14 November 2018
Transport supervisor and manager couldn’t run a bath and lie through their teeth. Takes months to get any uniform. Allocated holiday system which if you have kids is useless to you! Boxing Day and New Year’s Eve are working days , as are Sundays now. If you have a family then give the place a swerve.
treated me like Rubbish and walked all over
tram member (Former Employee) –  Team member11 November 2018
When I first started I was treated like a knew everything already and was getting shouted at for not knowing things, when I was asking things they were answering me and getting annoyed. I wasn’t getting tought the way I should. Everywhere is different although every greggs will be the same being busy, early starts, cleaning the whole shop on your own at night. It drained me.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Long hours/early starts/
Easy job with good pay
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Scotland11 November 2018
Typical day can be mundane, but colleagues make it fun. Mostly learn health and hygiene other than general customer service. Management are normally good, but sometimes it's obvious they have pressure from above. It is quite easy to get days off that you want off, as rotas are very flexible. Workplaces are fun and the people really do make your shifts fly in. Hardest part of the job could either be the long queues of people waiting to be served to the highest standard within a 2 minute window, or the quieter times where there's no one to serve and the shift drags in, depending on the type of person you are. Most enjoyable part is the 25-50% staff discount and the rate of pay and bonus you get. That being said, the company will give you as many extra hours as you like, until they don't need you anymore and you get only your contracted hours, though this can work in your favour if you want a couple days off
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Expectations
Accepting company
Part time Greggs Team member (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands9 November 2018
The company is very accepting when it comes to working part time. They allow me to switch between locations due to university which is essential for me to retain my role. The job is great at allowing you to develop confidence when speaking to people due to the face to face customer situations.
Sandwich Maker/ team member (Former Employee) –  Leigh, Lancashire9 November 2018
I loved working at Greggs. I was very lucky to be with a great team for the majority of my time there. It's above average pay, not overly long shifts and I found the workload and daily routine enjoyable
Pros
Discounts on food, decent pay rate
Cons
Early shifts
Could be so much better
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Dorset7 November 2018
Absolutely awful management. Completely clueless with interpersonal skills. Expected staff to do all the work with very few thanks. Issues not dealt with effectively. Communication not promoted within team. Low morale. Nowhere to turn to.
The actual job is fast paced and in some ways really physically challenging and could have been great if leadership had been better and people were listened to. Real shame to have felt the need to leave but seriously couldn't take much more. Also felt the extra unpaid hours carried out by all staff was completely ignored by higher management and no gratitude forthcoming.
Pros
Some really nice colleagues
Cons
Unpaid work. Management lack of support and inconsistency
great
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Northampton5 November 2018
its a lovely place to work, management over most are nice sometimes you maybe required to work in different shops and areas but its a volunteer basis, loved working for the company. never fails to make me and customers smile.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Greggs. Our community is ready to answer.