Greggs Employee Reviews

Management let them down
Part-time Team member (Former Employee) –  Chineham17 August 2018
Working here was very stressful. Managers were supposed to help with daily cleaning tasks and maintaining stock levels but out of the three shops I worked at, only one manager actually did this.

Since I worked Sundays and we only had two staff members in I often felt as though I ran the shop alone as the managers sat in their offices appearing to do very little.
Pros
discount, good pay
Cons
stressful, poor management
Worst job I’ve ever had
Team member (Former Employee) –  Glasgow17 August 2018
Most of the staff were nice but the manager and assistant manager were just bullies, put you under pressure to speed up when your serving and giving you dirty looks when you asked a question, seemed to enjoy making you feel like an idiot. The shifts were all over the place, found it hard to plan things for my days off, had to put up with some extremely rude customers as well, all being said it was one of the worst places I’ve worked in and I’m so glad I managed to find another job and get out, about 7 people have left over the last few months so that just speaks volumes
Pros
Discount
Cons
Staff run ragged, unfriendly and unapproachable management, rude customers
Hard work, struggle for a social life
Senior Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  King's Lynn, Norfolk17 August 2018
Not a great place to work, management isn’t good, always short staffed. Long hours, working nearly every weekend. Struggle to have a social life. Have to put your holidays in a year in advance and can’t change them
Team Member (Current Employee) –  London14 August 2018
A typical day consists of cleaning the store, serving customers, preparing the store for the morning by completing closing tasks. the staff are lovely and direct management are great in my store.
Cons
Uniform material is difficult to wear in summer and not warm enough in winter
good pay, not much fun
Team Member - Part Time (Current Employee) –  England13 August 2018
earliest start time - 06:00 - meaning, you have to get up really early
the day drags, you're going to be cooking and serving all day
closing shifts are good, you only really have to stand around and clean because noone comes to greggs after 4pm
They really care about their employees.
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carlisle12 August 2018
They have a really good selection of support and benefits for their staff to help them deal with any number of issues outside of work. They provide really good pay on bank holidays, to entice you into working them, and your efforts are noticed and rewarded when you do well. Management bend over backwards to enable you to be able to work if you have problems or clashing commitments, such as childcare. I couldn't rate this employer highly enough. I haven't been there long enough to judge job advancement.
Pros
The people I work with
Cons
The short shifts
Well Paid and Flexible
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Three Bridges, West Sussex11 August 2018
Greggs is a great place to work as a young individual as the pay is great for anyone in education and your hours can e very flexible and based around your schedule with very little fuss. The work is fast passed and you are always busy but the work its self is not too challenging which means there is little stress associated with the job. One draw back is that they are often short staffed leading to employees being asked to work more hours or to travel to different shops to cover shifts (although you do not have to agree to doing as such).
Pros
50% food discount, flexible, well paid
Cons
Short staffed
fast paced
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Hartlepool, Durham11 August 2018
start at 5.30 am, making sandwitches, cooking bacon, sausage and pasties and cookies. Setting up shop and keeping all stock available all day. End of day clean shop and restock ready for next morning. I have learnt to work at a fast pace while delivering good customer service. Enjoy the job working along side some good members of staff who have became friends, love serving and chatting to the customers. The hardest part of the job is not having a work lifebalance because the shifts are staggered through the day and shifts are changed at short notice. The work is hard and heavy but that is not a problem i quite enjoy it.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Shifts
Productive and Fun Workplace
Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London7 August 2018
Great experience and opportunity to progress to a management career.
Warm environment, great people and Golden training.

Outstanding quality of products
Pros
staff discount, pension scheme, insurance
Cons
shift patterns
Management was poor, hours where good and brilliant on the job training
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Yate, Gloucestershire6 August 2018
Management was poor, hours where good and brilliant on the job training.

The management at this particular branch was very poor. Felt pushed and criticised in everything. there was no positive feedback it was all negative.
Meh.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Maryport6 August 2018
I worked at Greggs for a few months, I was still slow and getting used to the way business worked. I was always told to speed up and that I wasn't fast enough by staff. I get it, but I also have anxiety. Whenever I was told to go quicker, I'd get anxious. I'd burn myself on machinery, toasters, I even fell over on shift trying to reach for a pastry. You need to be fast paced, and comfortable in busy, stressful environments.
Pros
50% off Greggs products, Salary
Cons
Stressful work environment
A good starter job
Team Member - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands3 August 2018
This is my first part time job, it had learnt me to be a lot more methodical and organised, as well as boosting my team working and independent skills.
Pros
50% discount
Cons
Odd shift hours
Better than most retail jobs if in a quiet location
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Swindon28 July 2018
Loved my job here, ended up getting to know quite a few of our regulars to the point of becoming friends. Job's fine pays decently compared to other jobs - with good benefits. Greggs is greggs do might have to be at work early hours in the day, on your feet for the day but with a generous amount of breaks. Hopefully you'll work in a shop with nice people otherwise the grind can get intolerable.
Pros
Good breaks, benefits, 50% off food, paid weekly
Cons
People steal sandwiches all the time
productive and fun workplace
Operative production (Former Employee) –  Penrith, Cumbria28 July 2018
Very good working hours,good earnings and high culture.nice atmosphere.Very good managers.The cleanliness and hygiene of this place is an authority.
Pros
paid break
Cons
there are no minuses
over worked
Team Member - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Ham, Greater London28 July 2018
I think for the amount of work we have to do that we do not get payed enough. I found my manager was rather lazy and just got team members to complete half of his tasks.I hardly got breaks due to staff shortages but management spent half his shift outside smoking.
Greggs are happy to employ people that can perform the job very well and that leaves more pressure on the other staff as they have twice as much to do and yet we all get payed the same. After 11 years there i am grateful to be leaving.
Pros
annual profit share
Cons
over worked
Good
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Walsall26 July 2018
Good company to work for. Great benefits. 50% of greggs own food. Great holiday pay for Christmas day and Easter. Always pleasant staff you are on shift with. great with booking days off
Great Team
Team Member (Current Employee) –  North East25 July 2018
Great people to work with. Really friendly and motivate each other to succeed. Long hours sometimes which can be tiresome when completing back to back however overall a reasonable place to work.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Long Hours/Early Starts
Weekend Staff
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Walsall23 July 2018
I only worked weekends but sometimes was randomly put on the rota all the time to work weekdays which I couldn't do as I was a student and I had to inform management every week of this.

You're expected to work short staffed all the time, they never arrange cover if someone is off and work the rolls, make food and clean etc. I was also always put on the late/close shift.
Pros
Discounted food
Cons
Hours
Productive and fun work place
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear20 July 2018
A fast paced job that always has new situation to solve, there are lots of different jobs involved on this work place, making sandwiches, baking pasties and cookies plus pizza’s, serving customers and cleaning.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Early mornings
Busy
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Winchester10 July 2018
It is not too busy first thing in the morning, but obviously that depends on the store. It used to get very busy at about 10 and then again for the lunchtime rush which would often last several hours. Over the Christmas period there was often a non-stop rush and pressure for you to try and serve the customers as quickly as possible. I would not recommend this job who is trying to do it alongside something else (e.g. University) as they would not allow me to lessen my hours (still within my contracted amount). While there were negatives, there were also positives. The pay is good, you also get holiday pay and decent staff discount (up to 50%).

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Greggs. Our community is ready to answer.