Greene King Employee Reviews

Loved it
The globe (Former Employee) –  Andover17 September 2018
I worked for my mother in a small country pub and it was bliss.. our own menu planning our own deals on drinks it was just like a family run pub but for a brilliant company 😊
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Worked to much
Greedy King
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Midlands17 September 2018
I worked for Spirit and then once the Greene King take over happened it all went down hill, you are micro managed and worked like a slave, the HR team is incompetent.
Pros
Cons
long hours, no reward, bonuses taken away unfairly when company doesn't hit budgets
Good
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire7 September 2018
Struggling with work life balance late nights with a baby and a school age child.
Lots of staff shortages and poor management makes the job difficult
Very good place to work.
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire6 September 2018
Loved my time there. I only left for childcare issues. If the hours where better I’d go back but I can’t commit to nights. Working as a team with great colleagues was good, we worked hard but made it fun, very busy with the pub being on a very busy bus route, main roads and the royal infirmary over the road.
Pros
Friendly staff and customers.
Cons
No free food.
Happy and Rewarding Workplace
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Masham3 September 2018
A typical day at work within Greene King can be very challenging but also very rewarding, I learnt a lot from this job, eg, teamwork and working with all kinds of ages. The hardest part of the job was the unsociable hours.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Unsocialble hours
Bad company
chef (Former Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire3 September 2018
I have worked in 3 countries in all types of catering, this is far the worse place. You are worked into the ground , your hours cut without any notice just for the managers to get their bonus. There is no room to advance and if you are lucky enough to work where the GM family works in the place forget about being treated fair. Thy run it where it is like their own place and promote family over qualified, experienced chef and staff. The bullying is off the scale, if you like to bully work for greeneking.
amazing experience
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Northampton25 August 2018
whilst working at the hungry horse, I made a new family and couldn't tare myself away from work - when i did turn up. management was amazing, customers were difficult but nothing anyone couldn't handle, amazing place to work.
chef
Chef de Partie (Former Employee) –  Hampshire24 August 2018
worst company ever i have been work during 10 years as a chef,never recommend to special chefs, all food and products are already prep and frozen and you never learn to cook,head chefs are a bunch of teenagers with no experience and some times you feel you work for MacDonald or KFC rather in a kitchen as a chef.even they dont know about basic kitchen equipments how to use,Yellow Board IS FOR cook meat my friend!
Varying work life
Assistant Manager (Full Time) (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham, Gloucestershire24 August 2018
Often work was fun when working as part of a team of other young people. However the work life balance was often terrible as little money was put aside for hiring more (enough) staff.
Opportunities for courses and qualifications were fairly common but opportunities for growth within the company seemed hard to come by.
Individual managers were on the whole hardworking, understanding and friendly. The higher management were less understanding however and did not feel like they were part of the team at all. It can make it very difficult to find the motivation for a tough job when the people you work for don't seem to care.
Pros
Cheap Drinks
Cons
Unsociable hours
Poorly managed
Waitressing at The Duke of Wellington (Former Employee) –  Wellington20 August 2018
Working at the pub proved difficult and whilst we had a great team of waiters and waitresses, the managers had an incredibly fast turn over. In 3 years i had 4 managers.
Fast paced job
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Perth and Kinross14 August 2018
Greeneking is a good company to work for as you can work your way up the employee ladder. The pay could be at a better rate for the work being done. Your made to feel like part of a team
Pros
Discounts
fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Annesley, Nottinghamshire13 August 2018
can be quite difficult when gets busy but if working with the right staff its easy to get through it its a brilliant first time job to gain experience in customer care skills
Pros
discount
Cons
Average Job that was boosted by great workforce
Waiter/Barman (Current Employee) –  Stanley, West Yorkshire8 August 2018
This part-time job requires you to work everywhere from serving drinks to cleaning tables. The most enjoyable part of the job has to be the team, always enjoyable to work with. The worst part was down to the constant focus on cutting hours in order to make up for not hitting ridiculously high targets which lead to a demotivated team. The management work very hard in order to give you the hours while balancing the pressure from above and have always treated me with respect as well as showing their appreciation.
Physically Draining
FOH Team Member (Trainee Team Leader) (Former Employee) –  St Helens7 August 2018
It's honestly not worth it, it's an easy job to get because of the amount of people that leave because they realise they're worth more than being a slave for a money grabbing company. They will work you to death and then complain you're not performing like you used to do.

There are absolutely no benefits for working for Greene King, you used to get employee discount and "team feeding" on shift but they cut that to a minimum and you don't get team feeding unless you work more than 10 hours. The hours are so unsociable and sometimes you'll turn up for your shift to then find out the management have changed your hours for that day without letting you know. Sometimes you would turn up and be sent home because the rota had again changed that day and nobody informed anybody.

It's much more hassle than worth, just don't do it.
Fun and professional
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Hertfordshire31 July 2018
I was a very lively working atmosphere and all the staff are lovely. They always work hard together to get the best out come regardless of obstacles put in there way,
Pros
Discount on food
Chef (Current Employee) –  Portchester24 July 2018
Good environment but unsociable hours. Short breaks when busier. Good deals throughout the week and staff get 50% of food and selected drinks and 33% of when on days of in any pub/restaurant or hotel owned by Greene king.
Pros
50% of food and selected drinks whilst workin
Cons
Unsociable hours
Did not enjoy working there management was awful
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear20 July 2018
The management at the branch where I worked was extremely poor and one of the reasons I left this was greene king the hungry horse in Heaton.
If the management wasn’t so bad then I feel both the workers and customers would get a better experience
Pros
The food
Cons
The management
productive and fun work place
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Eastleigh, Hampshire18 July 2018
I started working as a greene king employe in April 2017 to July 2018 it was my first job as a waitress/bar staff member i have no clue what i had to do but with all the help from the other members of staff and the online trainng that had to be done helped me very much. I used to look forward about going to work every morning beacuse they was always somthing different everyday.I enjoyed talking to the customers and making sure they had everything they needed and asked for, I really enjoyed my time working for the company but i just thought i needed somthing more challenging.
Pros
learing somthing different everyday
Good job for a student
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge16 July 2018
I was living alone for my first time and was studying whilst I had this job. I did like the job as it gave me a social life and money in my pocket, just wished that my managers would have seen it from my point of view. they saw me as replaceable, not as someone working for something.
Pros
got to wear converse
Cons
no communication
It's ok
Bar Staff/Waitress (Current Employee) –  Swindon10 July 2018
its a job. you will work, get paid and go home again. it will suck your soul, give you nothing in return and pay you minimum wage, no matter what hours you put in.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Greene King. Our community is ready to answer.