Greene King Employee Reviews

Good team supportive
Team Leader/Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Worksop20 June 2018
When I started there it was a risk I'd suffered a loss and the team a the team are my colleagues and my friends my previous manager had belief in me and supported me in all aspects made me believe I could achieve and I am achieving in all areas.
Pros
Drinks brought belonging
Cons
Long hours no sovial life
Straight forward work
FOH Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Churchdown18 June 2018
The work itself was simple bar tending and food delivery, with the added aspects of stock keeping and money handling. However there were moments of confusion while I worked there with hand over of management and that I was frequently coming and going due to boarding school commitments. These were usually sorted quickly without repercussion to me however and i was treated more like a university student.
My main problem was frequent late finished (12pm) followed by a morning shift (10pm). These left me feeling incredibly drained as I would only end up getting a couple hours of disturbed sleep.
Pros
Flexible work
Cons
Awkward hours
Fun, Friendly place to work
Hospitality Staff (Former Employee) –  Alderley Edge, Cheshire15 June 2018
Part of the Chef and Brewer Group, the De Trafford Arms is a busy Pub/Restaurant in the middle of Alderley Edge. I learned extensive experienced in both restaurant and bar service. I was responsible for all activities in the Bar on my shift. This included cash management, stocking the bar, making coffee, general cleaning and locking up at shift end. In the restaurant I have had experience taking orders, restocking condiments, organising bookings and table layout, preparing desserts and preparing the restaurant for breakfast service at end of day. Overall I have experience with customer service and making people feel welcome with three 100% mystery guest visits. Living locally I was always able to respond to urgent staffing requirements.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working in a team environment to deliver top quality service to our customers.
It’s a friendly atmosphere to work in including the staff and customers
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Bebington, Merseyside14 June 2018
To work with green kings it was a good atmosphere to work in with staff and customers. The job had benefits of free time and work time as the work place is beneficial to your social and education life.
Management were terrible
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Newton Mearns14 June 2018
The management continually cut hours and sent staff home early. Of the original 45 front of house staff that started I think only 3 are left. The general managers were hardly there and put responsibility onto younger members.
Pros
Discounted meals
Cons
Not enough hours
Kitchen Porter/Chef Assistant (Former Employee) –  Egham12 June 2018
Fast-Paced environment full of people whom want to work.
I enjoyed my time here although the pay was not as god as I would've expected. The food was generally good and I was treated really well.
Good step to become who you want to be.
Head Bartender (Current Employee) –  London12 June 2018
Many opportunities with this company if you seek them out. Fun work place with a good family environment with good work morale. pay is minimal but working up the ladder with the company will increase your pay.
Pros
Friends.
Cons
Weekend work
Great team
Waitress/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Bicester9 June 2018
Like a family always flexible and took time to train all staff to a higher level than required and made time to make sure all staff were up to date with all training requirements with greene king
Hard work pays off
DEPUTY GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Wimborne, Dorset6 June 2018
Good benefits
lots of opportunities to develop your career
qualifications available, provided by the company: NVQs and personal licensing etc

team you work with ends up being like family
Do not work for this company!
Line Chef (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire5 June 2018
They will expect you to work all hours on low pay and then when you want something in return I.e a certain day off, they will just say no . No communication between manager and staff . Have to pay for food ! In a 10 year career I've never had to pay for staff meals in any pub/restaurant.
Pros
Non
Cons
Everything, dont even bother with greene king
Worst 10 months of my career
General Manager (Former Employee) –  uk5 June 2018
In 10 months I had 5 different area managers. Managers accommodation in a bad state of repair and a threat to health and safety and nothing done about it. Pub itself had major issues that were not addressed in a bid to save money - only fixed after a fire caused by the lack of maintenance forced the business to close.
Fire alarms not upto british safety standards.

On induction we were told 'if 50% are here in a year it'll be classed as good job' - shows the level (or lack) of commitment to a good working enviorment
Pros
Cons
too many to list
Alright if you don't do many hours - no social life/work balance.
Waitress and Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Hampshire1 June 2018
I worked at a Greene King pub for 4 years and the only reason I stayed so long was because the staff became good friends. Got on so well and supported one another when it was needed, lucky that my supervisors and management were incredibly understanding of personal problems and would always listen to you. Even mucked in themselves when it got busy.

But there is no instinct to do better or move up in this company. I got a pay rise of 10p in 4 years and that was only because of my age!! I ended up doing 10/12 hour shifts nearly everyday with a 30 min break. I would be doing 7 things at once most of the time. The summer months were horrible, and I'd come home crying because of the sheer stress and lack of organisation. Greene King do not want to spend money on things and hire more staff for bigger pubs/restaurants that need it! If you want to work in a Greene King eatery, be prepared to work your butt off. Long hours without proper breaks unless you smoke.

If you want to earn good money, work full-time 35+ hours a week. I had to do 40 hrs a week (thats without overtime) just to get by. Part time is not worth it unless you want a social life which is non-existant with full time hours!

You get 50% off food and drink whilst on shift which to me is ridiculous. You're telling me you can't give a server a free meal when they've been on their feet for 10 hours? Greene King is all about the money and profit. You'll feel like you're working for a company who doesn't care about you. If you get a good team and management around you that make working the mundane job less tedious
  more... then you'll survive.  less
Pros
Lovely staff depending on branch
Productive team
Waitress/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear27 May 2018
Good atmosphere
okay management
successful in passing mystery guest
good quality of food and drinks
good customer atmosphere
learning good life skills such as communication, eye contact
Good
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harlow, Essex24 May 2018
Cleaninginkitchen,learnedhowtodoapotwash
Hardest workiscleaning thecooker

Manager knows her job
Cleanliness is importan
tSeeing everything clean atend
Pros
meetingpeople
Cons
notenoughhours
fun workplace
The swan abbotts langley (Former Employee) –  Watford22 May 2018
serving customers taking payments either cash or card getting to know your customers and having a laugh food was okay flexible hours worked there for a year
poor company badly paid
Area Chef/trainer chef recruitment consultant (Former Employee) –  Basildon17 May 2018
this company are partly responsible for the decline of interest in hospitality today, too greedy to the point of selling back what they over spent on within two years and full of broken promises
good if you desperate for money
Pros
easy money
Cons
bad lifestyle
Friendly, busy and rota's are a problem
Front of House Staff (Current Employee) –  Nottingham14 May 2018
Has a good and friendly environment and you can easily get along with other staff however they have a problem with rota's and sometimes don't take note of what you can and can't work. The rota's are also often changed without you being informed
Pros
Friendly, enough hours to work
Cons
Rota's are changed without notice or consultation after being posted, not very good at getting back to you about queries
Hard work but good fun.
Bar Manager (Former Employee) –  Stevenage13 May 2018
This is a fun place to work. They have pool teams, staff party's and a lot of customer party's.
You get to go on a lot of outings and you can live in.
Pros
Free lunches & breaks
Awful place
Hotel Team Member (Former Employee) –  Buckingham13 May 2018
The White Hart Buckingham

Manager has no regard for the health & wellbeing of her employees!!

Do not even consider this if you want a life outside of work, her words the business comes before the health of her staff!!
Pros
Greene King Discount
Cons
Long hours, rubbish pay, awful management, bullying
Food
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burton-On-Trent, Staffordshire7 May 2018
The job was good at the beginning and you felt part of a team but as the time goes on you will work more on your own and not in a team, the worst but is being bullied at the job and on one listens, don’t get paid for doing extra hours
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Greene King. Our community is ready to answer.