Greene King Employee Reviews

okay
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Heald Green9 April 2018
I would say that the flying horse is a really good place to work if the managers wasn't so aggressive to you. They swore at you in the kitchen and when they told you to go and do something for example, go and clear tabled they would scream and shout at you because you wasn't in the kitchen taking food out.
The hours they were done by myself was ridiculous, I worked hours like 12pm till 10:30 at night with just an hour break.
It is a good work place but the managers and the hours they gave put it down.
Pros
half price food
Not good
Barman/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Luton8 April 2018
Don't work for these they will use you and dispose quickly they'll tell you about how you can advance and then next say there's no hours when you've been putting in the most . No lunch paid nor break!
Pros
People buy you drinks
Cons
everything else!!!
Awful just the worst
Kitchen (Former Employee) –  South coast6 April 2018
I’ve worked in a couple of Greene king pubs now and they are filthy ridiculous hours no staff, everyone stressed. Awful standards no one cares everything is always broken
Cons
Not everyones cup of tea
Waitress/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London3 April 2018
I worked for Greene King for 4 years whilst at college and university. I had 5 different managers in the space of 1.5 years all because they are worked way too hard!!! HO Don't listen to any problems the fact that managers are forever over spending on wages leaving minimal STAFF AND OVERWORKED GM'S!!!

Area managers are ok only see them once in a blue moon, they come to congratulate the staff for their hard work etc ( bonus right ) !!!

The hardest part of the job is being told we do not have enough to spend on wages but we've got so many offers on its IMPOSSIBLE to cope during busy periods meaning late food, complaints, bad mystery guests oh and then the email from the area managers asking why your site is failing??????????
Pros
50% off food when working and 33% when you're not
Cons
long hours, minimal staff
fun
Front of House Staff (Current Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent2 April 2018
easy job. poor communication with other collgues. poor management, always the wrong amount of staff on site. pay is not worth it. dirty and gritty.sometimes I don't get a break
No work life balance
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol1 April 2018
One of the most horendoous working life balance. You are expected to work 6 days and around 60-70 hours per week. My pub my GM would only work 40 hours per week but expect others to do a stupid amount of hours
Pros
33%Discount
Cons
No life
Great workplace
Cakeateir (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh27 March 2018
Very accommodating around hours. Good company and benefits to work for, excellent training system in place, allowed to design new cakes for selling, allowed to use initiative.
Bar Staff/Waiter
Bar Staff/Waiter (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne26 March 2018
working for Greene King was an amazing experience and built my character dramatically. when i started at the company i was shy and nervous but upon progressing through the year i worked there i felt i was extremely capable of talking and helping out customers who i didnt know and i felt my training with the company let me do this to a very high standard.
productive workplace
Sous Chef/ head chef (Former Employee) –  Peterborough25 March 2018
very busy places to work long hours
pay ok if you in manangment
staff are mostly kids witch helps there budget but not work effic
the job is all done by spec branded
Pros
secure job
Dirty, poor customer service
Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London22 March 2018
No one washes their hands before serving food and making drinks. The hand washing station was always filled to the brim with dirty glassware, cups, and old bar fruit. The worst part is that in order to get to clean plates with fresh food, you needed to push past dirty plates that had been sitting for hours in the dumb waiter. The staff I worked with did not care about customers. Food often came out late and entirely wrong. There were no apologises to the customers and no compensation.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Every man for themselves

Want to know more about Greene King?

Ask a question
Fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Merseyside19 March 2018
Focused on structure. Maintaining good working relations, customer focused, healthy relationship with charities fundraising etc. Always improving themselves with the latest training skills.
Pros
Staff meals and nights out
Cons
experiance will depend on your individual pub
Bar person (Former Employee) –  Scotland18 March 2018
my experience was shaky due to an unstable management structure, going through three mangers in less than a year. with pub work your experience is always going to be down to your relationship with the staff and management. staff were great the management was a mess
Pros
discount
Cons
management
Love it
Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Hertford, Hertfordshire18 March 2018
No words can describe how much I like working here! Staff are amazing and welcoming! Locals too! Not every day is the same. It’s a fun environment. I enjoy my job
Pros
Staff discount
Enjoyable experience
Front of House Staff (Current Employee) –  Rawtenstall, Lancashire15 March 2018
Staff are all very welcoming when you first start and are a good laugh once you've fit in. The job canbebusy then quiet within he space of half an hour and can be like that all day. The wages are standard minimum wage which isn't the best but can't complain for my age.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Busy then quiet
It was very busy but gives you amazing social skills
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Dinnington13 March 2018
Whilst i was there it was very busy, mostly on Sundays for carvery. The clients were very polite (most of the time) the Managers were also very helpful although i didn't receive almost any training, the training i did get was online and was mainly about food health and safety.
Pros
i didn't work very long hours for a first time worker
Cons
when it was busy, it was extremely busy but when it was less rushed there were very little customers in.
Awful
General Manager (Current Employee) –  UK8 March 2018
worst company I have had the unfortunate pleasure in working for. they over work you and push you to the edge, then cancel bonus's or change how you get them so they don't have to pay out. if your face does not fit, then start looking for a job otherwise they will find a way to get rid of you
friendly place
front of house (Former Employee) –  wirral8 March 2018
Good place to work in and meet a lot of new people. I enjoy the staff I work with with makes work more fun if you can work with people you get along with.
Pros
discounted drinks and food
Just awful
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Southeast8 March 2018
Senior management are awful sending condescending unprofessional emails to general managers every time something slips like refilling a fruit machine.. We operate in an environment when GMs are under constant threat of being told of or losing there jobs. Praise and recognition are not things GK do apart from token features at big meetings.

ZERO work life balance. Always on call. Made to join WhatsApp group chats, mobiles are called for nothing and basically on call 24 hours a day.

Money is Ok but what you have to do to earn it out weighs massively. The culture is one of clicky 'friends with boss' climb ladder and others don't. It's terrible and I have never worked for a worse employer than this.

The culture is top down dictation and as soon as I can leave this company I will.
Pros
Live in with no rent.
Cons
Pub managers treated as disposable, work life balance a joke, horrid environment.
Very busy
Chef (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear6 March 2018
Very busy environment in the venue I worked, it helps having good staff and also good bar staff. Nice menu and lots of choice so keeps you very busy with prep etc
Cons
Good atmosphere and loved the team. Just the pay
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Bredhurst, Kent5 March 2018
There is a general positive atmosphere in the company. The team are almost like family, including the arguments but well all got there in the end.

Only left due to another job offer of more pay.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Greene King. Our community is ready to answer.