Greene King Employee Reviews

fun workplace
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Ixworth, Suffolk10 December 2018
lovely workers we all got along really well. I loved working there but I never got paid on my pay days that's why I left. I was very over worked and always had to work extra hours after my shift ended.
Pros
lovely employers
Cons
never paid on pay days
Productive workplace
Bar Staff and Waitress team leader (Current Employee) –  Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire3 December 2018
Love working for this company great atmosphere lovely team to work with great work life balance benefits for staff couldn't be better great progression for your career
Pros
Good work/life balance
Cons
Such a bad company and poor management
Kitchen Manager/Head Chef (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol3 December 2018
You can't give 0 stars so had to give 1! Management are completely incompetent, staff are overworked and underpaid if paid correctly at all and the turnover is appalling!

The state of the kitchen was disgusting and should have been shut down and the company ignored everything they possible could to save money.

Never worked in a place like this or for a company like this in over 20 years of being in the industry.

Avoid!!
Pros
Local
Cons
Long hours, poor management, not enough staff, underpaid, over worked, state of equipment was below standard and too many others to mention
Unfair treatment of absence for sickness
Property Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds24 November 2018
I was absent in hospital for a week and was judged negatively because of this. Additionally, there was no support from the manager when struggling with any part of the job.
Would not advice it
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Telford and Wrekin, Shropshire22 November 2018
Terrible management, lots of bullying of especially of the younger staff, pay is terrible for the amount of work that is expected. Constantly expected to jump through hoops, not adhering to health, safety laws or young workers laws. The staff who dont pull their weight are treated better than those who do work hard.
And theres 2 many clicks with management ie a lot of favouritism.
Pros
Cant think of any
Ganger
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Medway20 November 2018
Bar worker sevrin drinks and food and helping out in the kitchen as a kitchen assistant always willing to trying different types of jobs and a quick leaner
No fun left in the job
General Manager The Four Marys (Current Employee) –  Linlithgow20 November 2018
If you enjoy jumping through ever changing, flaming hoops whilst doused in petrol, then being blamed for getting burnt, this is definitely the company for you.
Pros
50% of on shift food/drink. 33.3% vouchers, bonus scheme very good, and attainable
Cons
Hearing "it is, what it is" from upper management, far too often, Too many ever changing hoops to jump through, IT unable to launch anything successfully, Marketing don't understand the pubs
challenging
Waitress and Bar staff (Former Employee) –  Broughton Astley13 November 2018
Working for Greene King was challenging, in the pub that I worked in we had multiple managerial issues and therefore there was never a good management of the pub for the duration that I worked there for. However, I am sure that this is not the case I all Greene King sites.
Cons
No average shift hours
Fun workplace helped me build confidence
Waitress (Former Employee) –  New Haw, Surrey11 November 2018
Amazing people and great boss overall and good company to work for gives you confidence and helps you build social skills.
Hardest part of the job was dealing with customers with awful people skills and were just basically rude altogether.
Most enjoyable part of the job was the people I got to meet they were funny and had great banter such a good place to work would definitely recommend
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Bad pay
I suppose it depends who you work with,
Waitress/Bar maid (Former Employee) –  Tutbury7 November 2018
The first year and a half I loved working there, for me it's just a part-time job anyway so I never let anything stress me too much but the longer I stayed there and the more people were employed my hours were cut ridiculously and I felt that even though I had worked there a long time there was no loyalty to staff who had been there longer. The staff they started employing were useless as well and it just got to the point where I couldn't be bothered going in to work so I have for a job with more hours and a smaller work team. You still have to pay for your food on break but you get 50% off??
Pros
33% staff discount at any Greene King pub.
Cons
It is a chain pub so it is not really anything with character.
usual day at work
Head Chef (Former Employee) –  Winchester7 November 2018
it starts with the usual review of whats ahead for the day team pep talk and then hit the crindstone and hopefully have a good day and have the guest go home satisfied
Not great
Kitchen Manager/Head Chef (Former Employee) –  Bebington, Merseyside6 November 2018
Not a very good company at all. Unsociable hours and the hours you do work you don't get paid for properly. Greene king thinks more about it's share holders not the staff. Staff are ok but mainly kids on power trips.
Pros
Ok if you know the right people
Cons
Where do i start
work
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Spalding30 October 2018
im not treated fairly, im given less than 10 hours a week on £4.20 an hour and im not earning enough to live off due to having no hours. and personally i think the manager is very un-professional.
good
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  London26 October 2018
working in the kitchen is the first step in careers in catering, you learn a lot about the food arrangement and internal management of a restaurant. Good relationships with colleagues are necessary. The working environment was pleasant
Very very stressful
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire26 October 2018
I got given all the busy shifts.. Understaffed.. Shifts were very stressful..Under paid, after 25 years in hospitality this job put me off for life ..Glad to say Im out!! I will never return to bar work!!
Pros
Non
Cons
Okay for some not for all
Holding General Manager (Current Employee) –  Odiham26 October 2018
Generally working for the company and a waiter/waitress is OK. Although there is a high expectation of work loads during your shift, pay is high in comparison to competitors for hourly paid staff.

Tables turn if you're part of the management team, you will be expected to work a minimum of 48 hours, often meaning you can work up to about 60, although they will try to give you this is annual, but only if they are not understaffed.

Generally good training given off site if you are part of management however it is limited if you are a team member.
Pros
discouted live in if available
Cons
work for the needs of the business not necessarily contracted hours
Poor working conditions
Staff Member (Current Employee) –  ESSEX21 October 2018
Always over worked as the GM doesn't want to employ more people as needed the staff u have are ALL over worked some doing 11-14 hour shifts 4 days straight
No respect or effort from GM
Most staff doin 7 days a week
Most staff working 9-12 days straight
Again no sign of a thank you or respect from GM
if there is it doesn't feel genuine
Alot of regular customers have had enough and bored of coming in due to getting slow service the reason they come bac is friends and cheap beer and food
No real love For the company
No compliance to website closing times for kitchen and bar
Pros
The staff i work with
Poor pay and conditions
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  North East18 October 2018
Worked for Greeneking for 1 year as Front of House Staff. Minimum wage no regular hours.
Rota is given week to week sometimes just the day before the week starts. Shifts vary all of the time some weeks you will get one days work (4 or 5 hours) other weeks you will get 20+ whatever suits ur management no regards for their staff yet expect you just to drop everything and go in at short notice if people don’t turn in. You have to work over 6 hours to get a break even though you are on your feet the whole time and it is a very demanding role you are not even allowed a five minute break.
They do not tell you any of this at the interview you are led to believe you will have 20 hours per week permanently. No surprise there is a high turnover of staff. I would not work for Greeneking again.
Pros
Cons
Poor pay and conditions.
Best place i have every worked
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough17 October 2018
This was one of the best companies i have worked for great management . We all started togther in the anson farm thornaby before it opened and all got to no each other before working togther so it was great the hrs were very long sometimes 60hrs a week but was worth it as always came away fro here smiling no matter how busy we got would go back tomorrow if i could only left here due to unforseen circumstance that they had to drop all ours hrs and it was to much of a loss but always regretted not sticking it out
Pros
Friendly busy happy place to work
Cons
The area the pub was built
Care for nothing but their sales
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Middlesbrough14 October 2018
A typical day at work consists of cutting labour costs so you are ran off your feet after every shift. You will be underpaid and overworked, but who cares because it's cheaper labour? Staff are not cared for at all and are treated like they're robots, but we do get a 33% discount every month which is a positive - but is questionable as you're getting discount to pay your money from this job, back into their company.
Incentives are off bounds for Greene King. Except for the double pay excluseively to Christmas Day, and only Christmas Day. You work 13 days in a row with one day off and receive nothing but a minimum wage pay check at the end of the month. I think the only thing remotely good about the company is that the staff still seem to want to see their pub strive. My team members were and are great, even during the hardest of times.
The hardest part of the job is definitely the customer to staff ratio, due to the company putting pressure on everyone about cutting down on labour.
I have to say the most enjoyable part is the relationships you build with the pub regulars, and that is it.
GreeneKing would be a good company to work for if they actually started to consider the robots they have working for them, and how they're effected by every decision they make. Stop being a greedy company and treat your staff like they should be treat.
Pros
Customer relationships
Cons
Long hours, busy hours, staff demotivated

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Greene King. Our community is ready to answer.