Greene King Employee Reviews

Featured review
Greene King selected this as a representative review
Current job
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Sheffield25 July 2019
Chef! Brilliant learning and development,career progression
Long hours but a supportive management team
Lovely country pub
Brilliant staff incentives
Bad experience
Bar Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester20 August 2019
Offered role as assistant manager, gm went on sick first day I started, places in kitchen for 3 week due no one knowing what to do with me, I’m not a chef, then not trained properly, was with company 8 months had 4 gm and 4 different area managers for one venue in that time. Bad communication, no moral, would never go back.
Under staff. Over worked and under paid
Manager (Former Employee) –  Corby, Northamptonshire19 August 2019
Have you working with bare minimum staff so your too understaffed for breaks. Poor customers have to que for ages because they won’t give you a budget for extra staff during busy periods
Cons
Under staffed. Over worked. Under paid
With the right team it can be a great experience
The White hart (Former Employee) –  Weymouth18 August 2019
I enjoyed my time at the White hart, we had a great team for which we all got along and worked well and hard together. I enjoyed seeing and getting to the locals.
Badly organised.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sale17 August 2019
It's a lot of work for little or no respect. To make some money you need to work all day, 10 hour shifts. Not recommended. Thay all dont take into consideration, if you have children.
productive place to work
bar staff/waitress (Current Employee) –  Great Leighs16 August 2019
working for greene king has so many benifits such as discount brilliant training and a base to make an exciting career , i would highy recomend them as an employer
Good perks with the job
Purchasing Planner (Former Employee) –  Burton-On-Trent, Staffordshire16 August 2019
I really enjoyed wokring for Greene King and was only there on a 12 month contract, which I would have extended had I not had an offer of permanent employment elsewhere.
Don't do it
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk16 August 2019
You wont feel valued working here my advice just don't do it.
The HR team are a complete joke along with some of the senior managers. You may do exactly the same job as the guy next door to you but be paid a lot less, it really is a joke
Generally good employer
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Wokingham15 August 2019
Minimum wage. A lot of wastage in the company.
Unsociable hours obviously & not the greatest motivational incentives for employees.
Decent place to work if you're young & looking to earn money over the summer.
Not worth to work for
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  London South East, Greater London13 August 2019
Greene king is only worth if you want to get your license course paid. I have been hired as AGM from outside the company. They asked me to sign the working regulation to work more the best 48h which is not mandatory, but they just don’t care how far you are or how many hours they give it you.
The GM of every place is far to young and is unable to solve any kind of issue in terms of law, there is a lack of knowledge from them as they are so unprofessional.
I have been travelled more then 1.30 from north west to Fulham Broadway every day for the past week having a shift more then 14 hours.
I won’t recommend this company to anyone as they are just not what they say, smart people doesn't work for Greene king, everyone know what your obligations but I guess as long as you’re foreign and inexperienced then you work well for Greene king
Pros
They pay your license course
Cons
Long hours, working regulation no respected, no free meal, head office as GM. Inexperienced
Very sociable staff
Back of House Team Member (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City13 August 2019
I would say the main reason I work here is for the people. Even though the staff turn over is high there is always fun people on the rosta to have a drink and a chat with.
Not good
Chef (Former Employee) –  Neston12 August 2019
Very dirty kitchen .. filthy infact! Always under paid for hours worked! And expected to work more hours than I spent at home, not good management has he had no clue .. too young for the job and couldn’t resolve issues ..
Don't recomend this company
Cleaning Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wakefield11 August 2019
Management don't listen to staff problems.Expect too much for little pay.Worked very hard for this company for 5 years so disappointed. Very big turn over off staff.
Ok
Chef/Kitchen Assistant/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London9 August 2019
they expect you to all the shifts they give you whatever the time, they don't care if you have a family to get home to or how far you have travelled.

some staff are friendly and some are not.

they work you like a dog for minimum wage
Fair management and very supportive employees
Kitchen Porter/Assistant (Current Employee) –  Warsash, Hampshire9 August 2019
This role has supported in building confidence with the paying customers. It is a role that is focused on team working, though I am relied upon to use my inititive and work independently.
It can be pressured at times; should there be an unexpected rush, without sufficient staff on duty, but we work as a team to get the best outcomes for our customers.
It is a great working environment, and a great team to work with.
Great Managers made it bearable
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire6 August 2019
Without the amazing people I worked with I would have left a lot sooner. The job is not for anyone with a life as it is 15 hour days including every weekend. Culture was always threatening and aggressive, always focusing on business at a macro level despite being a business that replies on people and customer service
Staff are replaceable
Front of House Team Player (Former Employee) –  Horsham6 August 2019
Area manager herself said staff are replaceable, constantly understaffed due to saving labour, even 3 days before Christmas. One week could work 37.5 hours next week 15. No reliable income, no respect for team members and no opportunities to progress
Pros
Half price lunch/dinner
Cons
Lack of hours, constantly understaffed
loved family atmosphere around staff
Chef (Former Employee) –  four mile bucksburn & various aberdeen5 August 2019
i have worked for greenking ,working in various kitchens, i loved the family atmosphere in house, managers have fun but get things done...
as long as you stick in n do your job, its a great place to be.
Do not work with them
Kitchen Manager/Head Chef (Former Employee) –  Wantage, Oxfordshire5 August 2019
Horrendous company to work for. Over worked and under paid. With bad practices.... In the interview everything is promised by area manager. When you get to site they don't want to known
Manager at the crown Claydon is horrific
Waitress/Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Ipswich5 August 2019
He didn’t pay well, treated all staff different! Always deducted pay even if you worked all hours so he didn’t get in trouble with pay rill for having so many staff on! Just not very nice person
Love working in kitchen
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Blackpool4 August 2019
The staff are very clicky an the working hours are very long not suitable if you have a family at home. The management were all related or in relationships with each other no room for promotions unless u were in that circle.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Greene King. Our community is ready to answer.