Greater Manchester Police Employee Reviews

Supportive managers and colleagues
Operational Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Manchester30 October 2018
This role involved dealing with sensitive and difficult subjects which can be quite hard to deal with sometimes. The team I worked with were supportive, knowledgeable and friendly. I learnt a lot in that job.
Stressful can be rewarding
Police Constable (Former Employee) –  Greater Manchester15 October 2018
Working on your own.
You need to a be able to work and think very fast.
The hardest part of the job is the shifts

Can be very rewarding if you work hard and play hard.

Most enjoyable part of the job is helping people and hopefully changing their lives for the better.
Pros
Secure Employment
Cons
Not much time for meal breaks/Shifts
Well managed.
Police Constable (Current Employee) –  Manchester12 September 2018
Greater Manchester Police has provided me with job security and a challenging role from the first day I joined.

I would encourage anyone to consider a role in the Police Force.
Pros
Managing own work load.
Cons
Hours.
Police Officer
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester9 September 2018
Still some cronyism in certain departments. Still a good job and career for someone willing to apply themselves. There can be more ups and downs than your average roller coaster and sometimes dangerous, however there is job security and good pay but you could have to work long hours to obtain it.
Pros
Job security, helping people, comradeship.
Cons
long hours, sometimes dangerous
low morale, no colleagues, reasonable pay
Detective Constable, DRT (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester18 August 2018
You work long hours with very little support from management. Very low morale with no police officers due to the cuts makes it a very difficult job to do, I can't do what i joined to do which is to help people.
Pros
good pay
Cons
long hours, no cops
Great Staff to work with
Operational Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Greater Manchester12 August 2018
High demand of jobs, not enough colleagues to cover all the varied jobs. Great job satisfaction. good support systems. very varied roles good promotion progression.
Pros
Caring
Cons
long shifts
People can't wait to leave
PROJECT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Greater Manchester5 June 2018
The most chaotic organisation I've ever come across.

As a Senior Leader, absolutely no support from above.

The people who could leave did. People with over 10 years service felt trapped and were waiting out for retirement.
Good volunteering opportunity
Special Constable (Former Employee) –  Manchester12 March 2018
I worked within this organisation as a Special Constable. I found my colleagues ready to help and, as a result, I was able to learn a number of new skills which helped me in gaining a full time role.
Secure and interesting place to work
Safety Awareness Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Greater Manchester7 March 2018
I enjoyed working for Greater Manchester Police for 37 years. My two main roles were Computer Management and Safety Awareness Co-ordinator. I learnt many skills through attending Courses by GMP. The salary and Annual leave entitlement were above average. I was unfortunate to be made redundant in the Public Sector cuts in 2011.
Pros
Salary and work/life balance
Cons
To be made redundant
Variety
Operations support officer (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester29 January 2018
Variety of work, lots of different roles to work in. Progression is a difficult process. Work/life balance is easy to maintain as there are shift patterns or flexible contracts available.
Enjoyable working environment
Exhibit Manager - Major Incident Team (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester27 January 2018
I enjoyed working within a fast paced environment, dealing with forensic evidence relating to high scale investigations such as murder and major crime. I enjoyed dealing with a wide range of individuals, from victims to suspects and witnesses as well as colleagues from numerous different departments and organisations. Coming together as a team we contributed to the prosecution of violent individuals which was extremely rewarding.
Great opportunity
Anti-Social Behaviour Officer (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Rochdale, Greater Manchester15 January 2018
Working as a multi-disciplinary team was very rewarding. I provided the link between the Police and the Community Safety Team/Rochdale Boroughwide Housing and the Youth Offending Team and this ensured each day that I was learning more and more about this kind of role. Fantastic management, training and support! Hardest part was the presenting in front of Intervention Groups but that was due to it being my first time doing so. Most enjoyable part was the team work and the difference we could make in the community.
Pros
Team work
Cons
Court cases took a long time to progress
Supportive workplace
Principal Problem Manager (Former Employee) –  Old Trafford, Greater Manchester21 December 2017
The company supported me from when I first started in 1997 as a trainee through to my last position as Problem Manager.

I always thought the Police was safe and secure place to work until cuts were made and family members lost their jobs.

I decided to leave at this time and thrust myself into the great big world!!
dangerous place to work
Police Community Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Cheadle Heath, Greater Manchester30 October 2017
I served 8 years as a pcso. I got no back up off other officers people trying to assault me on a regular basis sometimes with weapons. Made me have a complete mental breakdown.
Extremely demanding career
Constable (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester23 October 2017
Being a Police Officer is an extremely demanding and sometimes rewarding career which is not for everyone. It’s a young persons career nowadays and is changing for the worse not for the better. You can burn out quite easily, this is more a way of life rather than a job for life.
A lot of the daily business is dealing with Mental Health, Missing people and Domestic abuse. There aren’t enough Cops on the streets and it is unsafe due to the lack of numbers.
Cons
No work life balance
Interesting role
Detention Officer (Current Employee) –  Ashton-Under-Lyne23 October 2017
Everyday is different, with different challenges.

Working with the team to achieve goals

Dealing with some difficult situations and awkward detainees
Pros
Good pension, salary
Cons
Long hours, stressful situations, negative atmosphere
Unfortunately due to public sector cuts, the morale of officers is very low.
Detective Constable (Current Employee) –  Bolton9 October 2017
I found the majority of my service very rewarding and the challenges I faced very difficult and at times costly to my health and marital welfare. The job does not recognise the stresses that the job can cause, but overall i have enjoyed the challenges and will miss the comraderie.
Pros
Nil
Cons
Can be very long hours
Freelance work only
Arabic interpreter (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester8 October 2017
I have done few three freelance interpreting jobs for Greater Manchester Police. I was treated well during these jobs. I have not got a follow up job from GMP. All jobs went well. They paid me in time.
Pros
Lunches are not inculded. The allowed me time to pray
Cons
one of the jobs was long hours. Work finished earlier on some days.
Supporting Greater Manchester
Police Constable (Former Employee) –  Manchester3 October 2017
Policing is never easy but the support of colleagues helps. A great group of people to work with even if underfunded to provide what they should be doing
Hr
HR Generalist (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester28 September 2017
Busy workload but nice environment to work in. Team work and supported from management. Worklife balance available and constantly kept bust with new challenges