Greater Manchester Police

Greater Manchester Police Employee Reviews

United Kingdom133 reviews
could be an amazing place to work
GMP could be an amazing place to work if the management structure was re-worked and well-being of the staff was made more important. Most of the people are great and work well as a team. I'm glad that I have worked there as I've got to work on some very interesting cases and they have provided a lot of training and development.
Catering for the Boys & Girls in Blue
Great place to work, I worked in most of GMP catering Departments, I was the Senior Catering Manager at the Training School. I absolutely loved this job, we had Day to day meals and we also did the In house Fraud Dinners and Sargent Promotion Dinners. Life balance was at times very busy, but the team in the catering were the Best ! Everyone who worked there was a Team player !
Fantastic place for Everyone!
If it was a sick animal you'd put it to sleep
A typical day at work would involve rectifying other peoples mistakes in and amongst my own workload. I would also have to pick up slack from other team members who had been promoted well above their level of competence.

Speaking about my own particular Branch. It was rife with cronyism, woefully lacking direction and virtually no form of management whatsoever. Plenty of people who could 'talk the talk' but very little else.

The hardest part of the job was waking every morning and leaving for the office knowing 'the system' was so fundamentally broken it would never change.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the camaraderie amongst the staff, that and leaving to go home every day....

I'd only recommend this 'outfit' to sado-masochists.
Great
Great to work for job security is fantastic plenty of opportunity to specialise in various roles, make good lifelong friends and be part of a team. Work/life balance might be challenging for some people due to shift and weekend work.
Loved working here
Enjoyed my time working at GMP at various locations. Met some good people and very friendly bunch to work with interesting and very enjoyable. Very interesting.
Excellent environment
Working within the driver Training unit was an honour. Work colleagues were approachable and the whole daily experience was enjoyable. Gained valuable driving experience.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Pay too low for staff position.
Detective
A typical day would be dealing with the prisoner arrested overnight preparing a file to take the crown prosecution service for a charging decision. Dealing with on going investigations and enquiries.
not the job it was.
modern policing is not what one would expect. very little time is spent investigating crime, more time is spent supporting people having mental health issues, for which you get very little training.
Pros
Cons
many
Shift Work
After working for 22+ years I retired. Fantastic employer however be prepared to work long hard shifts. Team work is a must to get the job done. For me GMP were very supportive and I would recommend anyone to apply
stressful workplace
Job is not family friendly and best suited for younger individuals with no commitments, very fast paced and stressful, unfortunately there appears a lack of morale within the ranks at this time.
Productive, if demanding, workplace
Working at GMP is a very much 'all or nothing' experience. 10 hour shifts and strict time-off/sickness policy can make it stressful if you like having out-of-work activities, especially if you're on a rotating shift pattern.

Depending on the department and supervisor, working at GMP can either be a dream come true or a tiring experience. It's a bit of a shot in the dark as to which of these you'd get. But the pay is alright, and the offices are nice enough.
Work Experience
design posters for decreasing the use of drugs. we worked individually in our time but getting feedback by Designers by GMP was very useful and taught us important rules.
Hard job
Overall a short staffed organisation with lots of stress dealing with the public .
Not much support from management .

Very dangerous if you are on the streets as no support .
It was ok
I found GMP amazing to work for as an apprentice but very hard to then promote within the organisation in a permanent job. I also found some staff managers were very unprofessional towards staff and did not invest in staffs wellbeing enough.
Productive and fun workplace
Pleasant working environment. Shift patterns allow interaction with new people every day alongside different challenges. Typical day involves cleaning communal areas and offices.
Awful! Bullying Atmosphere.
An Horrendous organisation to work for. I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. Impossible workloads, team morale is almost non existent. The Management are constantly looking to make change with the effect that you never know if you are coming or going. Under valued, Under staffed, Under resourced. The IT system is absolutely awful, It's difficult to see how they could make it any worse. But yet they do! Work Life Balance strongly skewed towards work. It's just absolutely awful!
Best job I've had, made friends for life
Loved working at Bradford Park, the people and the work were great.

Would highly recommend if you are interested in Forensic Science and the different services based there.

Great working environment and enjoyable team working in all departments.
Horrendous culture
GMP unfortunately suffers from a bullying culture that is not addressed.
Tales of corruption are unfortunately true and higher ranks are not challenged or dealt with appropriately.

The rank of PC is fine but I would not recommend this job to anyone looking to advance and get promoted
Stressful
Worst job of my life and not very supportive to ethnic minorities.
I would recommend working in a cultural diverse area as this will be a better with more understanding.
Tough
I have found the work life balance very difficult and the fact unless you go for promotion in rank there’s no opportunities to move forward and better yourself
Challenging
A decent place to work overall, with some fantastic people and some decent bosses. It’s the shifts and unknown finishing times which were the killer and spoilt the overall job!
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Greater Manchester Police. Our community is ready to answer.