Great Western Railway Employee Review

View all Great Western Railway reviews

Every day is different
Train Manager (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff23 November 2018
Every day is different, with the 24/7 shift pattern no two days are ever the same. Each day there will be a different on-board team to work with, a different route to go on and obviously different customers!

My favorite aspect of my job is being able to provide excellent customer service, solve problems and be reactive to manage any situation which may happen.

I really enjoy being able to lead a team in providing excellent customer service and work with a diverse range of people, all ages, cultures and genders.

I am a trainer and assessor which takes up part of my work load, I enjoy to see people progress and become confident within their work. If they are struggling with a particular aspect of their role I can use many techniques and find alternative ways to help them through their training period.

I have contact with my line manger on a regular basis and also need to contact head office most days, this maybe for a rota inquiry or a train service control issue.

The hardest part of my role is the shift pattern and having to deal with disruptive passengers, although when I have managed a situation successfully I feel a sense or achievement and add it to my experiences.
Pros
Free and discounted train travel, good pension.
Cons
long hours, anti social shifts

Other Great Western Railway Employee Reviews

Great pay,
Train manager (Former Employee) –  South West17 October 2019
Great pay. Great colleagues at operations level. Very corporate, seems like they tick all the right boxes, but at the end of the day it's only there to make money. Work colleagues are generally great and welcoming. Little to be desired at levels above some local managers. Feels like you are a number only to the company.
Very nice working place apart from starting and finishing time for me
General Assistant (Current Employee) –  Paddington Station16 October 2019
It's a nice working place, with bubbly and lovely people, Relaxed enviroment and every day is different. It's fun working here because evey information is communicated very well so even in case of disruption, you are equipped with everything you need to know
Pros
Cons
04.40 in morning