Great Western Railway Employee Reviews

Very nice working place apart from starting and finishing time for me
General Assistant (Current Employee) –  Paddington Station16 October 2019
It's a nice working place, with bubbly and lovely people, Relaxed enviroment and every day is different. It's fun working here because evey information is communicated very well so even in case of disruption, you are equipped with everything you need to know
Pros
Cons
04.40 in morning
I was paid every 24 days, so twice in April thus paid 13 times a year
Revenue protection inspector (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire1 October 2019
Great western railway is a great place to work. I had to leave due to personal issues which I'm ready to talk about at any interview. Taking a voluntary redundancy to sort out the issues.
No job like it...
OBS (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire14 July 2019
If you have a developing skill set or struggling to attract a decent wage you will do no wrong working with GWR.

You won't be employed for the job you're applying for but rather what they can see you doing with the right support. Be sure to master EVERY ASPECT of your current role before applying for that promotion.

Good luck
Pros
Plenty of overtime available
Cons
A culture of over accelerated career progression which undermines performance.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bristol Temple Meads Station18 June 2019
During a normal day as a customer service assistant and supervisor, I would direct and clarify any passenger queries and also helping them with luggage.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Cold working conditions during winter season
Awesome place to work Customer ambassador
Customer Ambassador (Current Employee) –  South West Country10 June 2019
Gwr are a fantastic company to work for with lots of staff benefits.
Customers are great and no two days are the same.
I can highly recommend GWR. It's great working for them with plenty of training too
Pros
Amazing salary
Customer Host Swansea
Customer Host (Former Employee) –  Swansea8 March 2019
Poor Management in Swansea very low moral . Staff gossip about each other instead of supporting one another.
Very bias as it’s all family relations work in the station , don’t like outsiders.
Will lie about new staff lots of jealousy and back stabbing in Swansea.
Management have no clue how to perform in there role.
Have there favourites who spy on board the trains and carry back information to them.
Lot of bullying goes on with the management.
Suffered from anxiety in this role due to the fear of the way management would treat me unfairly. Sacked me for no reason . Basically if your not there favourite your out .
I won my case make sure you join the union because you will definitely need them . Worst working experience of my life .
Destroyed my confidence completely for years . Wouldn’t advise anyone to work in Swansea
Pros
Cons
Bad Management
Every day is different
Train Manager (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff23 November 2018
Every day is different, with the 24/7 shift pattern no two days are ever the same. Each day there will be a different on-board team to work with, a different route to go on and obviously different customers!

My favorite aspect of my job is being able to provide excellent customer service, solve problems and be reactive to manage any situation which may happen.

I really enjoy being able to lead a team in providing excellent customer service and work with a diverse range of people, all ages, cultures and genders.

I am a trainer and assessor which takes up part of my work load, I enjoy to see people progress and become confident within their work. If they are struggling with a particular aspect of their role I can use many techniques and find alternative ways to help them through their training period.

I have contact with my line manger on a regular basis and also need to contact head office most days, this maybe for a rota inquiry or a train service control issue.

The hardest part of my role is the shift pattern and having to deal with disruptive passengers, although when I have managed a situation successfully I feel a sense or achievement and add it to my experiences.
Pros
Free and discounted train travel, good pension.
Cons
long hours, anti social shifts
A good company to work for.
Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Bath and North East Somerset19 November 2018
GWR is a great company and fun to be in. Each day is different with its unique challenges. I learned how to interact with people with different personality traits. The management isn't bad, but there is always room for improvement. Workplace culture is very good and friendly. The hardest part of the job is having to deal with angry customers or sometimes people who would not want to cooperate with you because they are distraught for some reasons. The most enjoyable part of the job is of course when pay day finally arrives! I am joking! The most enjoyable part is when you see someone happy with your services.
Pros
Free travel and generous pay.
Cons
Challenging customers, but not something one cannot deal with.
Customer Host
Customer Host (Former Employee) –  Paddington Station12 November 2018
management and training need a complete review, staff who are training is not very knowledgeable. management has no understanding of all the functions of the role but constant micro manage. no structure. moral amongst staff very low.
Pros
salary
Cons
everything else
very friendly place to work
Customer Advisor/Sales (Current Employee) –  Stoke Gifford Bristol9 November 2018
Opening up the office
Dealing with customers who can be very stressed at times and finding a way to make things work for then
Cash handling and booking the cash up at the end of the day
The hardest part of my job is not being able to give the customer exactly what they want but we can usually find an alternative The most enjoyable part of the job is to see a customer go away happy when you have sorted their problem out
Pros
working together as a team
Cons
very early hours
great team
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  London7 November 2018
I learned so much about the different towns in the UK. Also, i learned so much about the railway and trains. different types of tickets used daily for various journeys.
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Swindon1 November 2018
Swindon HQ. Flexible start and finish times. Good culture and systems. Busy working environment and SAP systems allow good internal support from colleagues.
Pros
Free rail travel for you and your family
Cons
Lacking in CPD support and internal progression
Poor Management
Train Manager (Current Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea22 September 2018
There is a low moral at Swansea. The majority of management working there such as the Guard's manager's - customer Host manager's are more interested in gossip and how they want to humiliate and report colleagues if any concerns have been done. At GWR in Swansea, there is not such thing as trying to confide in your colleagues and managers. Most of the senior managers are probably related to other people and as a consequence use this to try and uphold their ability to being a non follower of the GWR rule book.

There is a GWR rule book and the managers rule book. This doesn't get published in theory, but in reality, does fully exist.

With immediate effect:

Employ managers from an external company such as Capita UK or managers from other stations such as Plymouth to perform Swansea recruitment. - This makes the recruitment process fair for everyone.

On board bosses who work at Swansea should be sent to different depot's to work and have manager's from a different area, who are independent and less bias towards the substantial relations here.
Pros
Free Travel
Cons
Too many relations - two different rule books
Work Experience Student (Former Employee) –  Paddington Station9 September 2018
Working at GWR was my first work experience. The workplace made me feel very welcomed. At GWR I learned to organise files and work as an admin. I also learned about the history of the company and it's functions.
Pros
Early finishes, friendly environment
great company
Multi Skilled Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bristol29 May 2018
Great company to work for. Excellent work enviroment, benefits package etc. Daily tasks include maintenace of the south wests fleet of DMU trains. The job is messy but extremely enjoyable with a great team, including management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire10 April 2018
Nice vibe to the company, good work life balance in my sector.

Well organised and professional outfit.

Excellent benefits package including free train travel on GWR and 75% off other train companies.
Pros
Free train travel
Cons
Too many meetings
much enjoyable
Customer Service Adviser (Former Employee) –  Greater London23 January 2018
I had met a lot of nice people and bad people all including my colleagues but I love the place to worked there, we have more than 25days on pay holiday and more than 10days sick pay, you have to booked for your holiday because more my colleague are with family including me.
Pros
optional food and drink
Cons
short break
Great benefits but management very poor
Head Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Paddington5 January 2018
Poor management, very clicky environment. Lots of people disappear behind closed doors and lots of head office secrets.

Great discounts on rail travel.
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire15 December 2017
Great place to work and some exciting developments on the route which are going to transform customers experiences. Lots of interesting opportunities to progress careers, make lasting friendships and be part of the one the biggest train operators in the UK.
Don’t apply if over 55, you are wasting your time
Manager (Former Employee) –  South West23 November 2017
Don’t bother applying for qualified train driver posts if you are over 55 years of age or have Driver management experience from other companies, you won’t even get interviewed. GWR is very ageist and very anti ex BR staff