Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

Working in a hospital environmental is stressful and there is pressure to get things done in a certain amount of time, but it is also very rewarding. The management are lovely but the higher management expect too much and the rules are too strict regarding sickness and work injuries.
Pros
Set hours, talking to patients
Cons
Busy, pressuring and working weekends. Not great sickness policies
A typical day at work for me is to do a tea trolley round, morning and afternoon. This allows all of the other staff to do their main work. I've learnt a lot on the ward/department I'm in and it's brought my colours out from within myself. Hardest part of the job is hearing someone you have worked with has died for me personally.
Pros
Working within a team, caring, ambitious and lovely challenges
Cons
N/a
its fast paced and need to think on your feet. involving patient personal care, assisting to bathroom and helping with nutritional and hydration for patient
never seem to do the job applied for. several e mails and requests , something put in place but back doing same old stuff after 2 weeks. cant blame our line managers, the problem comes much higher up, someone leaves , don't get replaced and everyone else absorbs the duties
Theatres is a challenging environment, fast paced and you if you have a shift were you have a cooperative team and are not involved in politics, it is rewarding. However, most days, team work does not happen, and it can be quiet frustrating, and always the same ones being overstretched. The face fitting culture, the management style (intimidation/retaliation) and the well known NHS pressures are a nice cocktail for low morale and the "I don't care" attitude, with a high turn over of staff. If the face fits, you will have a chance for development and progression, otherwise make sure you are a member of a trade union!
There is no typical day as my day is so varied and completely different every day. Some days can be rather difficult, which is the hardest part of the job. But no 2 days are the same.
Pros
6 weeks annual leave
Cons
Paying car park
Management stuck in its ways and don't dare to recommend change. If your face fits maybe you have a chance. Extremely clicky and you better socially invite management if you want a raise.
Pros
Lunch break
Cons
No change, awefull staff, their way or the highway, high staff turn over due to existing staff
Friendly working atmosphere, with great people. But frustration is the order of the day. It's impossible to bring about change. Always firefighting, and never being able to make a difference.
Pros
Good atmosphere/people
Cons
Terminally stuck in its ways
Very good workplace. Staff very friendly, training very well organised , approachable management. Job prospects very good if you are wanting to stay in the NHS.
Pros
Good pension
Cons
Car parking costs
The Great Western Hospital is a great family feel company, who are there for their employees, when they are needed. The management are approachable, likeable and feel like "one of us".
I currently volunteer at GWH. Whilst I love what I do as a volunteer the things I am allowed to do is limited. Lovely staff always make me feel very welcome and will miss being there when I eventually move into future employment.
Pros
friendly, hardworking staff.
Cons
limited to jobs being a volunteer
Hard work, quick turn over of patients, skills are able to be achieved and gain knowledge by applying for extra courses. good management, there could be extra support from Colleagues. Hardest part of the job feeling like your not being supported and all jobs being handed down to healthcare assistants. Most enjoyable part of the job is building professional trusting relationships with patients, watching them improve and get better and very rewarding.
Pros
meeting a variety of people
Cons
Long hours, short breaks.
- hard work, varied, exciting - the importance of PR/communications to reputation - supportive - amazing - too much too do, too little time - results
Pros
NHS benefits