Great Grottos Ltd.

Great Grottos Ltd. Employee Reviews

United Kingdom61 reviews
The job is fairly fun, if you love working with kids and children. Expect what you imagine an elf role would be like - dealing with children, parents and family (and all the pros and cons associated with that), dealing with stock, little bit of acting and presenting skills. It pays minimum wage, provides good experience with working in customer service and with kids, and is a good seasonal/holiday job for people like students or seasonal workers. You also tend to meet really nice coworkers and have a fairly fun assessment day

I would definitely work there again, as a side hustle, but this is definitely not a long term deal. Also, depending on you're location, you could be out in the cold for a while and on your feet for most of the day
Pros
flexible, temporary, nice company/people, work experience, fun job, presenting.
Cons
Long hours, on feet for a while, very busy, complaint handling.
Suited me perfectly as I worked on a holiday park so the season finished & this started! Lovely making memories for children and adults alike. Reasonably priced so was nice to feel like you weren’t ripping people off. I feel the training was great although a little rushed and for newcomers could be a little daunting. I worked 4 years with the company.
It is what it is, a seasonal job as an elf. It’s great fun and Great Grottos do everything they can to make sure things run smoothly for you with great support at the end of the phone.
• Meeting and greeting children and their families, admitting them into the Grotto and maintaining an orderly queue.
• Ensure each child is photographed with Santa.

• Closing the queue for Santa’s breaks or end of day, as instructed by your Manager.

The staff members made the job enjoyable.
Not a full time job, more of a stop-gap between jobs. Enjoyable team, very much providing an experience, playing characters like an acting job really.
pay was kinda bad but it’s good for youngers to do as a start off job. met loads of new people but days became stressful. shifts were quite bad aswell. supervisor was barely in and quit on the last weeks which threw it off a bit.
The management team were really lovely and helpful. This job is perfect for those still at school who are looking for a weekend job. Shifts are not too long which is nice if you are balancing with school/college work. The team I worked with was so lovely and meant it was a great working environment.
Lovely team at the grotto lack of support from grotto manager to quick to blame staff for problems, Not very happy when I had to go sick.Higher management not approchable
Firstly, I'd like to say, the other staff at the grotto were amazing and I definitely would've left within a couple of weeks if not for them. Most of the higher management team were also great but on an occasion where I was extremely ill and had to call them to inform them I was unable to come into work I was spoken to very rudely and the person on the phone even harshly ended the call mid conversation! All because I couldn't come in to work for one one or two days!

Low pay for such high responsibilities and lots of unnecessary pressure. The technology used (ie: computer/camera/printer) would break at least once a week and was not given a new one to replace it.

Overall, poor experience and definitely wouldn't recommend unless you're desperate.
The team I worked with were amazing, we all got on well and had a laugh during the day! We managed to get our jobs done with a smile. Days weren’t too long or too short, everyone helped each other as a team! Amazing job, never forget
Wages are terrible for what great grottos want from you. As Santa, you have a big role to play. You have to think on your feet. £8.50 per hour is an insult.
Working at the Grotto was a very interesting and new experience for me. however i feel as though the staff werent looked after very well and practically chucked in the deep end however i will never forget it
Pros:

Nice atmosphere

Friendly faces

Fair pay

Not too many hours

Costumes were fun

Cons:

No breaks

Pay was late
I adore working as an Elf at priory meadow Great Grottos, I have done for the last 2 years and my team has been amazing. My manager was so caring of everyone’s needs and listened to the preferences of the workers and made sure everyone was happy and willing to give the best experience throughout the Christmas period. The Santa’s were absolutely fabulous, speaking other languages to children and singing songs with them, some workers even knew sign language so no child was left out for Christmas.
I worked for Great Grottos during Christmas 2018. A month and a half later they still haven't fully paid me (I'm missing £120) and other reviews suggest the same. Such a shame because it's such a fun place to work. The company is managed via the office in Dorking rather than having actual managers in the store, which can have a lot of complications. My payslip is completely messed up and I've spoken to three people about it in the office and still nothing has been done about it. Completely out of order.
Pros
Fun work
Cons
Bad management
This job opened up so many opportunities to me and introduced me to an incredible work environment with people who I have stayed in touch with. Though Great Grotto seemed disorganised at times and pay could often be a bit late or slightly off they resolved issues quickly and was overall an incredible experience.
I was phoned and promised a paid 'trail' which involved a journey to the outskirts of Manchester, donning a horrible sweaty suit and filling in cos santa was sick.did i get any more work? Did i get paid for those 4hrs? They are a con! Beware of them when it comes to payday
Cons
loved working with so many great people. the pay wasn't great. dealing with complaints was hard but i did make a lot of new friends during this experience.
Pros
great people
Cons
bad pay
Great Grottos seem to advertise widely for anyone to work for them, which is why the quality of the Santas is patchy. It is essentially an acting role. If they want professional actors, they should only advertise in appropriate places. The list of 'Common complaints' that forms part of the training as well as some issues I encountered with some of my fellow Santas demonstrates that they don't rely on employing 'proper' professionals. I was shocked to hear about Santas flirting with customers, having poor hygiene, dropping out of character and complaining about 'being bored'. Diddums. Try waiting around on a film set doing nothing for six hours until they need you!

Coupled with the above, they need to pay professional rates too. Frankly £9/hour for an in-character role in full (annoying) costume is pathetic.

The staff I worked with on site were excellent, and the folks at HQ are mostly super-nice, although there does seem to be a manager there who has a bit of a little-Hitler complex.

One of the biggest concerns was with changing arrangements. Yes, actors often have to all pile in to one green room but asking teenagers to change in the same room as middle-aged / old men seems completely wrong, especially when sometimes it's just the two of you in there. It puts both parties at risk. It also certainly douses the jolly with a big splurge of awkward!

Also, changing in a stock room without even a table and chairs or anywhere to hang anything is just very rubbish.

Only working three hours per day is not great. I know another reviewer has complained about long shifts
 - more...
Pros
It's always nearly Christmas!
Cons
Awful, awful pay rate.
The grotto was outside, and it did get extremely cold. We were all expected to wear base layers, but when the wind chill is -6, they don't help that much! The heating was really poor in the grotto and the ticket hut too. Management did eventually send us some coats to wear over the top of our costumes.
Pay is poor for the amount of work you're expected to do, I was often there for much longer than I would be paid for just to make sure things would flow better the following day. Our stock room was a 10 minute walk away, so I often had to use my car to get stock because we weren't provided with anything suitable to transport stock.

Head office were exceptional though, if there was a problem you could always ring them and they'd try to help however they could. They rang several times a day to check everything was running smoothly.
Pros
Fun, good management
Cons
Long hours, grotto is outside, poor pay
dressing up as elf and interacting with public to sell the magic of christmas. people queue long time so had to keep them cheerful. enjoyable job, especially taking photos then selling as gifts for chriistmas.