Govia Thameslink Railway

Govia Thameslink Railway Employee Reviews

United Kingdom47 reviews
Gentleman's club with big egos
Too many senior management got offended when challenged. Very old fashioned and traditional in terms of the senior management team.
No ability to be new and innovative
Stressful
There's too much favoritism going on in the work place, the worst thing about my experience there was another staff member saw another colleague hit into the back of my Mercedes and when confronted he completely denied and the management didn't care either. They never covered the repair cost and I had to pay from my own pockets which was expensive. There's too much politics in the work place
fun and collaborative
A lot of collaborative work with peers and everyone is willing to help. Management are friendly and help when need be. Would recommend this place as a great place to work.
Very Fast paced
Govia Thameslink is a very fast paced company. very demanding at times. I enjoyed interacting with customers and meeting different people all the time.
Not the best company to work for
Too much politics within the company which result in staff not progressing or developing as individuals. It’s all about who you know or if you’re good at pleasing management.
Stuck in the past
No collaboration / Checklist management team / No support / changing priorities / Outdated mentality / Siloed organisation / Invisible management team
Low salary compared to similar roles in other TOC’s
Good company, but low salary compared to similar roles in other TOC’s. Good to start as 1st job but need to struggle hard to move up to desired position
Make it happen!
GTRailway is what you make it. There are lots of opportunities to introduce ideas and new processes. Everyone is friendly and willing to listen. You get the support as long as you stay focused.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Govia Thameslink Railway?
very fun
Was very interesting and would definitely recommend, full of things to do, the staff there are incredible to work with. They were extremely generous and helped me out a-lot.
Would not recommend
I would not recommend working for this company. Bad management team. Management not approachable. Management say one thing to your face and another behind your back. Management not supportive in stressful life/death situations.
Overall good place to work
I had alot of freedom in this role. You are left to your own accord as long as you don't make any mistakes. The hardest thing that I found with the job was the shift work. There is always alot of overtime available. The most enjoyable part of the job was driving the trains and interacting with customers.
I don't want to include this
I have nothing to say. Can't create an account without filling this in. It would be nice if this was optional.
Why is this not optional? and now to fill up the rest of the 150 characters.
Govia Thameslink Railway
A typical days work is to service and maintain the rolling stock to meet their scheduled maintenance.

Repetitive tasks

Very Health and Safety focused
Pros
Free / Reduced travel costs
Cons
Very repetitive
Diffrent
Not every day is the same are the same. All staff that I worked with are friendly, willing to help where they can. everyone chips when when there is disruption
Very fun and enjoyable week with GTR
During my time with Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR) I spent time in many different areas of the business ranging from Engineering to Planning and Safety. I visited the ROC (Rail Operating Centre) in Three Bridges and experienced all the different Route Controllers roles, the Finance Teams and Social Media Team. I visited Selhurst train care depot and saw how the trains are deep cleaned, how the different parts inside and out are repaired and replaced. I had an experience in the train simulator and got a feel for what it is like to drive a train out on the track. I also went out for a cab ride in a Thameslink Railway train and got to see the driver operating the train first hand. On another day I went out with an On Board Supervisor and got to experience how tickets are sold and the passengers are kept safe on the trains. The week was overall very informative and fun and I will definitely use the skills I learnt into my career.
Decent money, Awful hours
Shift pattern was awful and morale was very low. Progression was slow and working life took over life in general. More interested in numbers than employees
Railway Enforcement Officer Thameslink
I used to work as a Railway Enforcement Officer for Thameslink, left about 6 months ago now, shambles of a place, mangement engage in favouritism, cannot make a decision on anything, keep certain staff out of the loop, needs to be looked at by an independant outside body.
No work life balance, dreadful shift pattern, certain staff members get stuck with all the bad shifts were as the chosen officers get all the good shifts.

Keep away !

PROS; free travel.

CONS; Bad working practices.
Positive
Typically - review ticketing system for IT requests, look to delegate where necessary otherwise adopt the IT related issue / task.
Learnt - Hands on experience within an IT based role.

Management - Average.

Workplace Culture - Again average.

Hardest part of the job - Daily bike ride.

Most enjoyable - Employee feedback of a positive genuine nature.
Good company
Good company to work for and is very useful for mums as the company gives flexibility. This is the most convenient job for me never had any problems working for this company.
Thameslink
I enjoyed my time with this company and if it wasn't for the management not giving clear instructions i would still be in this workplace.

I can explain in person.
Pros
helping customers
Cons
management
Unfair management
Management not fair and not fully equipped to promote equality. A lot of inconsistencies in dealing with staff tantamount to victimisation and harassment.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Unfair MANAGEMENT