Gourmet Burger Kitchen Employee Reviews

Overall bad place to work
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Lakeside Shopping Centre, Essex12 February 2019
I worked here for just a short number of months, and didn't really enjoy it.

Let me first get into the positives before the negatives.

First of all, the clock in system was via your fingerprint which was good.

30% Discount on food meant the overpriced food was a little cheaper for the workers.

Free food on your breaks, but as a vegetarian, the veggi options were terrible.

Now to the bad bits, firstly i'd like to mention ,these were for MY branch, maybe it's different for the other branches, i wouldn't know.

First of all, the breaks. Their break system was borderline illegal. As this was a temporary job, i only skimmed my contract which i found to be a massive mistake afterwards as our manager would tell us "it's in the contract" and then when i asked for the contract I was told they didn't have any in the office which was probably a lie.

You could work 6 or 8 hour shifts without a break, the most i've ever worked was 7 and a half hours then 6 and a half hours back to back on a very busy, payday weekend.

I was repeatedly told I was doing a good job but was denied a smoke break or a lunch break. The employees there could eat the returned burgers in the corner, but as a vegetarian that was never the case for me.

I am only 18 but have already worked at 5 different places and was never denied a break as I would only ask for a break when it's due, and let me tell you, it was due.

I also finished two hours later, once up to midnight on my shifts and told i woulnd't be paid for that day if I had left early.

Busses had stopped running during that point
  more... so i had to pay out my own pocket for Uber totalling £30.

If you want to work at GBK, work at GBK, but DO NOT work at GBK Intu Lakeside, it will be a waste of your time. i'd rather pick litter off the streets than work here ever again.
Pros
Free Lunches, 30% off
Cons
No breaks, Bad management
Over Worked Yet Great Team
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire3 February 2019
Over worked yet great team.

Working over 40+ hours a week, sometimes with no breaks due to it being so busy, doubles shifts are easy money but so tiring, so doing 4, 5 in a row is exhausting
Pros
Free Food, 25% Off
Cons
Long Hours, No Breaks
Overall lovely place to work
Waitress/FOH (Former Employee) –  Newport13 January 2019
I enjoyed working here, the hours were good, the pay is really good and the staff were lovely. Always busy so the shift goes quick and tips can be good depending on how busy it is.
Pros
Good wages
Cons
Busy shifts
Enjoyable
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Nottingham20 December 2018
Typical day includes serving customers, handling money, cleaning (a lot), making hot and cold drinks as well as alcoholic drinks and shakes. Management was generally good, very helpful with hardships or sudden changes. Everyone was friendly and helpful and were actually friends.
Pros
Free lunches, Good hours
Cons
Can be very quiet
Prepare to have no social life or hobbies
Waitress/Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Trafford, Greater Manchester5 December 2018
Don't work here!
Management don't care about the staffs mental health.
Long hours (no social life/hobbies)
Not enough training on procedures / polices
Pros
Free food
Cons
Long hours, no social life, no point having hobbies
Ideal for students, or under 18's but not for anyone else.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London26 November 2018
Wouldn't recommend this job for anyone who doesn't have a life long dream of working towards a career in hospitality. You should never hate going to work, a workplace should never jeopardise your mental health. I witnessed three members of staff spiral into depression at different stages of their journey there and all said working here played a major part in this.

i'm just being very honest and I don't even want to seem dramatic.

The pay is poor. There is a lot of favouritism if your polish or from this region... then they spend alot of time speaking in their language around staff who don't and its quite rude.

No chance of career progression, even though they lie to you and tell you there is.

You're expected to work long hours till late and start back first thing in the morning to do another 12 hour shift. Staff are always worn out and tired. Always. It was rare to see staff not sleeping on their breaks.

a fair share of customers are amazing, very understanding, however majority customers can be very rude, belittling, and hate when they want to do what they want and you tell them they cant. Theres systems in place to make sure customer journeys are put into place to give them the best experience, and to make sure they have all the information they need but most don't seem to care. It's very frustrating when customers talk over you when you try to explain how to order and they ignore you when you tell them the table number. When their food goes to the wrong table cause they make up a number then it all breaks loose, and when its extremely busy you don't have
  more... the time to check or waste time on day after day this will frustrate you.

most branches have extremely lazy managers. Supervisors who think they know it all and will boss you about like you're a slave. No sense of authority, everyone does what they want. its a nightmare and i wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy. Theres no authority, no structure.

Deliveroo drivers are the worst. Very impatient.

Theres this pointless delivery system, where the staff are expected to leave the restaurant with about 20 or more bags of food, to walk 40 minutes to deliver this order to a company only to have to walk back and its the most pointless thing i've ever witnessed in my life. it doesn't work for the staff, or the customer only the company. Food ends up being cold, staff end up getting ill from going in rainy or cold weather not being able to hold umbrellas, the restaurant at the time suffers because you loose staff at that time to deliver then you end up with one or two people in the restaurant running around like headless chickens trying to get everything done. its actually a joke.

However, the people you work with keep your spirits up and they're the reason i turned up everyday even though i didn't want to. I've made life long friends in staff and customers and i'm grateful and thankful for that, that was the most enjoyable thing about the place. The music used to play the same 6 songs on repeat day in day out, but seems to have improved slightly.

Good thing is you get paid every other friday, but you'll be lucky if you can cover your rent. Everyone is hired on a zero hour contract, they will promise you the hours you want, but they're forever trying to save money and cut hours.

If you desperate, go for it.. but theres companies out there that will pay for your hard work, acknowledge you when you do well and actually care about your well being, this place doesn't. As a short term thing, yes but long term no.
Pros
Free food, but it gets a bit sickening after a month having it day in and day out.
Cons
No social life. 12-15 hour shifts, loads of responsibilities with very little pay for the role.
Laid back enviroment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes25 October 2018
Not the best company to work for, changed for the worse, can't keep up with the other competitors. Once was a leading brand and now is a struggling brand
Pros
Staff food
Cons
Frosty enviroment
hard work place
Back of House (Former Employee) –  Belsize Park, Greater London17 October 2018
very hard work and very stressfull , long time to improve the skills , i learn how to clean the kitchen and dishes ,and do all the time same work every day
No hours, poorly ran
Front of House (Former Employee) –  Meadowhall11 October 2018
Various occasions left on shift with 3 managers (when a tiny place certainly does not need that) and 2 supervisors or of varying roles due to there be a constant change in status. Rarely even met my contracted hours, despite higher paid team members or shoving so many supervisors on shift at once. Would not recommend.
Pros
N/a
Enjoyable
FOH Staff (Former Employee) –  Guildford, Surrey25 September 2018
The team culture at work was really good, people would normally be willing to lend a hand when needed. This allowed for easy integration into my Job when I started.
Pros
Free Lunch
Stressful
FOH Team Member (Former Employee) –  Staines-upon-Thames, Surrey21 September 2018
I worked in Kingston for 6 months it was lovely, the staff were friendly and I was given suitable hours. However once I transferred to staines, it was one of the worst experiences of my life. The staff there were not friendly or welcoming, if not slightly awkward. I was given 3 hours a week which adds up to around £84 a month- not enough money for me to afford stuff. I realise I was only a part time employee but I think the way that the timetable was done was unacceptable and unfair. The actual job itself was pretty straight forward but I think that it gets stressful depending on whether the area you work in is busy or not. If hospitality is the career you are looking to get into I wouldn’t recommend somewhere like this as there is no formal training in regard to setting up tables or the technique of delivering food.
Pros
Discounted meals, free lunch
Cons
Awful management, bad shift patterns
ugh
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Glasgow6 September 2018
"full time" workers getting 8 hours a week, not willing to let you progress in the company or are willing to promote within the company when you have taken upon yourself learning everything and more within your role
Great for progression
Trainee Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Worcester, Worcestershire3 September 2018
I was offered lots of great advances within the company and managed to learn lots of brilliant skills that have helped me in other work environments. Enjoyed my time working there.
Pros
Large discount on foods, free food when working.
Cons
Very long hours and occasionally poor treatment of staff
average
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Leamington Spa21 August 2018
Management wasn't always the strongest and a typical day can be very repetitive. However, working hours were good on most occasions and training was almost always provided.
Pros
Staff Food
Cons
Empresa dinamica y divertida con continuo trainning y promocion
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Berkshire12 August 2018
Una atmosfera laboral y de compañerismo maravillosa buen salario y beneficios y muy buena valoración y continuo trainning a los empleados . Una compañia que considera al empleado sin importar nacionalidad raza religion o sexualidad con un trato de igualdad impresionante . Ayuda y da oportunidades para la promoción del empleado. Muy satisfecha de haber formado parte de esta compañia
Pros
Propinas /bonnus, comida gratis, descansos, fiestas para el personal y premios cuando llegas a objetivos
The experience may differ depending on restaurant branch and a leading manager.
Supervisor/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  London18 July 2018
Very demanding workplace from the supervisor. You would learn how to work under a constant pressure, how to implement various policies, how to deal with an unlimited amount of complaints. You would have to learn how to cooperate with non-English speaking colleagues. You would learn how to delegate people to various tasks.
Pros
Holiday allowance
Cons
Half of the team didn't speak a word in English, Constantly understaffed 13h working days it's a norm, Lack of respect to your brakes or days off, quite often lack of personal respect and equal treatment from the main manger
Terrible hours
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Staines-upon-Thames, Surrey10 June 2018
Management has terrible communication and wont listen if you ask for more hours on your rota. Late rotas were often and made for stressful Sundays where you wouldn't know if you were working or not.
The job itself is ok, when your starting out you are left on your own with a heavy workload- that's if the store is every busy.

If you work part time you'll just be sent home if its too overstaffed,this I understand but it's inconvenient if you've only been on the shift for twenty minutes.

Poor, poor management and professionalism.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Terrible Management, limited hours
Strange decisions, lack of communication
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bromley4 June 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job is the people you get to work with, who will usually provide a fun work environment. However the work/life balance is hard to maintain with long and late hours. A lack of concern from management about hours, communication and training for progression limit enjoyment and make working there hard
fun good team work
Front of House Waitress / FOH Supervisor (Former Employee) –  hemmel hamstead23 April 2018
i have learnt alot about customer service how to progress with my skills and abilities to work in such a great restaurant. build my confident along the time i was there
A nice company to work with
Waiter and Bartender (Former Employee) –  Bath10 April 2018
My time in GBK was very enjoyable, and i find it a good company to work with, with great ethics and benefits, i left due to personal reason non related with my work duties or atmosphere.
Pros
Benefits and team-work focused ethics
Cons
Hospitality jobs are hard to balance with life.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gourmet Burger Kitchen. Our community is ready to answer.