Gourmet Burger Kitchen Employee Reviews

Terrible hours
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Staines-upon-Thames, Surrey10 June 2018
Management has terrible communication and wont listen if you ask for more hours on your rota. Late rotas were often and made for stressful Sundays where you wouldn't know if you were working or not.
The job itself is ok, when your starting out you are left on your own with a heavy workload- that's if the store is every busy.

If you work part time you'll just be sent home if its too overstaffed,this I understand but it's inconvenient if you've only been on the shift for twenty minutes.

Poor, poor management and professionalism.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Terrible Management, limited hours
Strange decisions, lack of communication
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bromley4 June 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job is the people you get to work with, who will usually provide a fun work environment. However the work/life balance is hard to maintain with long and late hours. A lack of concern from management about hours, communication and training for progression limit enjoyment and make working there hard
fun good team work
Front of House Waitress / FOH Supervisor (Former Employee) –  hemmel hamstead23 April 2018
i have learnt alot about customer service how to progress with my skills and abilities to work in such a great restaurant. build my confident along the time i was there
Great Place to work
F&B Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oxford19 March 2018
I love GBK. It's one of the rare brands which is fun to work for. Its the first company I encountered here in england, which gave me the feeling of not being a stranger from a different country.
GBK is vibrant and energetic.you can work your way up within the company and if I would have a chance to work at a GBK again, I would do it.
I describe the company as: As work hard-play hard
Pros
fun at work, free lunch, understanding management, uniforms
Cons
lomg shifts and
Very bad company
Grill Chef (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 March 2018
People don t have hour s, 0 hour s contract ,very poor managment,grill cheff 7 mouth doing only fries!!!!!?????not possible going level up,everybody only lick a...another person s....
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
0 Hour contract
It’s okay
Trainee Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lakeside22 February 2018
Worked at GBK Lakeside and it was really good at first. Really friendly team, lovely management and a great introduction to retail. On a plus side the pay wasn’t bad and I was always guaranteed hours even though it’s a 0 hour contract.

We then got a new restaurant manager and 95% of the staff quit. It’s now 16/17 y/o staff there now. Did not get my pay rise and new RM cuts corners, doesn’t bother cleaning, sits in the office all day. Would not recommend working at this location with the current management
Pros
Free food based on a points system
Cons
Unsociable hours, late finishes, terrible management
bad management
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Maidstone, Kent11 February 2018
This was honestly one of the worst experiences of my life. I was so excited about this job at first but once the restaurant opened I learned that I was expected to literally do everything and be able to do everything at the speed of light - unreasonable. The supervisors were cliquey and unprofessional which is pathetic. If you weren't in the clique you were talked about by them and completely singled out. I would say I got paid well for my age (£7 at 17) however one of the girls was working literally every single shift and had no time to even sleep and eat (literally, I'm not even exagerrating) and I was given five hours every two weeks resulting in me earning £70 a month at most.
I was also told I wasn't needed for a whole week and when I returned was told I wasn't working enough and questioned for why I hadn't been in EVEN THOUGH I WAS TOLD TO GO HOME
I can imagine that GBK is a good company to work for, just as long as you dont work for GBK Maidstone. They're horrendous and leaving there was the best thing I ever did.
Pros
litterally just the free food
Cons
Everything else
Nice Staff But lazy management and lack of progression opportunities
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Guildford6 February 2018
I worked at GBK for 6 months. for the entirety of these 6 months I was being paid less than what i was supposed to of been paid with a difference of 10%. Management lack luster. Supervisors were good. Was not given ability to progress or try to progress.
A very good company
Senior Grill Chef (Former Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent13 January 2018
i worked at four sites and helped out at three others, a great company to work your way up the ranks, great training but har work and very hard on weekend, i started a kitchen porter and left to become a second chef.
Pros
a very good job
fun but tiring
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London9 January 2018
Good place to work if you get on well with team. Long shifts and late nights. Management not strict enough and holiday times rarely remembered. Not enough pay for the job as its extremely tiring, little/no tips and a lot of rude customers. Also hours aren't guaranteed so could work 37 hours one week and 22 the next. So to summarise, good and can be fun because of the other workers but other than that its not worth it.
Pros
free lunches (based on hours worked)
Cons
long hours, late nights, can be stressful
Poor company ethos and do not care about the teams !!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Multiple sites22 December 2017
I would recommend so many other company’s to work for rather than GBK the work life balance is non existstant the training is poor with no support really. Pay is not great either. Bonus is very poor compared to other brands.
Pros
Cons
Long hours poor pay
Large Burger Making Chain
Second chef (Current Employee) –  Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire24 October 2017
Busy schedules, many AFDs. Slow progression but good training. Culture is creeping towards a corporate machine. Hardest part is the hours. Food points system is good for long shifts.
Fun place
temporary supervisor (Former Employee) –  Soho, Greater London17 October 2017
To many hours and the enviroment can be a bit heavy has the manager always busy .....

Very low pay for the type of work you need to do

good people good fun good food
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Fun workplace but at times challenging
Front of House Waitress (Current Employee) –  West Thurrock20 September 2017
Overall, working at GBK is a pleasant experience as the team are welcoming and helpful. In addition to this, you are able to work in different sections, which allows for a diverse skill range to develop
Pros
free staff food
Cons
Average front of house job
Front of House (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire5 September 2017
Hard to maintain a decent amount of working hours with a low footfall restaurant.
Low progression prospects, but they still treat you nicely.
Lunches are free which is decent, but don't expect to get everything. They're quite strict.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Few hours
Really nice place
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire15 July 2017
A typical day at work starts with daily routine which are mornings preperations like sauces, saladst etc. Then when its getting busy KP needs to go to another kitchen and help with chips and burger construction and of course if u are a KP you need to worry about all the plates. but There is not a lot of them. It was really cool to work there because GBK is like small family where everyone helps each other.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Short Hours
Well paying company which is growing quickly
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Nottingham20 June 2017
I would definitely recommend working for GBK. The wages were above average and in general I liked working there. Plenty of opportunities to move and progress too. Only left because I was made to be miserable by a member of staff and I wanted to work less than 48 hours.
Pros
Free food- works on a points system. Rapidly expanding. Good Area Manager
Easy job, great perks, I was just unlucky
FOH Team Member (Former Employee) –  Cardiff Bay, Cardiff11 June 2017
I was hired along with a few others just before the Cup Final weekend (conviniently)

As jobs go this has been one of the easiest, you walk around collecting plates, glasses etc while delivering drinks and food and checking in on customers.

The hardest part was trying to manage the bar, you're often on your own and have to make multiple milkshakes (which you can expect takes time) while simulatenously making soft drinks, beers and coffees!

With the exception of one of the Managers, itnwas a great team and I enjoyed getting to know them.

Best part was that for the first week of service you'd get free meals on your break!
However when it's over you end up having to go through some sort of convoluted point system that you earn through shifts? (Better just to bring packed lunch or pay for the food.)

I was annoyed though how my job came to an end abruptly.
They cut my hours to a point where I called to ask why, just to pretty much be given told "you're the weakest link, goodbye" by the Assistant Manager.
I mean they told me that they had taken on a few staff and they were letting me go as I stumbled with trying to seat a customer during a busy shift where i'd been working 12 hours straight, but somehow the girl who can't seem to take anything to a customer without dropping it gets to stay?

Keep in mind that I had only worked 6 days and was only just being shown things like how to use the till on my last shift.

To me it just felt like "last in, first out" kind of deal.
Pros
Free food for first week, Easy Work, Management are decent
Cons
Working the "Bar", one particular Manager
Busy, fast paced environment
Grill Chef (Former Employee) –  Guildford, Surrey31 May 2017
Has been a very good experience. People there are nice and have met some people that gave me knowledge for the rest of my life. Also the fast pace has made me stronger.
good place
customer service and waiter service (Former Employee) –  Watford, UK30 May 2017
a good place to work with nice and friendly staff, can be stressful at times depending what your job role is for the day, great benefits and good to their staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gourmet Burger Kitchen. Our community is ready to answer.