Gourmet Burger Kitchen

Gourmet Burger Kitchen Employee Reviews

United Kingdom118 reviews
Other than a few personal problems with management, it was a decent job. Pays decently well, the culture is great, customers can tip well. It can be really face-paced on a really busy day, but there can also be very slow days where there are not many customers walking through the door. The job requires you to learn fast but your colleagues will do their best to help you learn as fast as possible. Ultimately an enjoyable work experience but it can be some demanding times.
Pros
Free lunches, tips
Cons
Hours can sometimes be long, some customers aren't the most grateful
Enjoyed working at GBK greatly! Friendly staff, though a zero hour contract is a downer, the management are more than happy to give you whatever you ask and are huge people pleasers. Felt like a big family and was nice work for average pay.
Pros
Free food, great environment
Cons
Zero hour contracts
I worked there quite long and staffs ware great. I enjoyed my time there. we used to have staff party every four weeks and it was fun. we used to have free food each shift
Pros
free food
Cons
Gbk stores are good to work in great people but when ot come to Coronavirus head office have supported the salary team but bot willing to support the 0 hr contract which unless ur management that is what you get. So if you applying for management avoid as they don’t care if u gave a mortgage or rent or dependents. If your 0 hrs then they give 0 hoots bout you or ur financial situation restaurants r great head office have not realise that 0 hr contract staff is the lifeblood of the business
Excellent fun and hard working culture within this company. You have to work hard within the team, but it provides you with lots of laughs, and is very rewarding. Opportunities to grow within the team are there if you choose to show a passion for the company, and there are great benefits to go along with the job.
The manager at GBK (who I believe is still the manager) did not seem to care about his employees in the slightest. The number of times I told them that the maximum hours I could do was 12, due to the fact I'm at college, and then I get put on four 18, and put on for days which I stated I'm not available for. Holiday requests were rarely responded to which resulted in me and other workers usually having to find cover for our shifts or simply not coming in.
When one of my coworkers was having issues with one of the other workers, the problem was never resolved, nor the other worker punished for their actions.

We often had to work more hours than agreed on due to being told to stay until roughly midnight on many occasions, simply cleaning.

The rota was released on a weekly basis, and multiple times the rota was released on the Monday of the same week, giving employees literally no time to plan their life around work, this resulted in frequent arguments between me and the manager.

At one point, we had a new recruit. After about two weeks this newbie was promoted to supervisor, despite having a severe lack of experience compared to the rest of us, I believe they've left now.

Other than the awful management, the work is / should be fun when it's going correctly, and you get to learn a lot about how to speak to many different kinds of customers and people.
I think Gourmet burger kitchen is a nice place to work as the people within the company are very nice and respectful and made me feel comfortable
They also put no pressure on you and when you don’t know the answer to something they are very happy to help you.

Part of my involved helping customers with what they would like to eat and assisting any dietary needs.
I’ve had great experience in GBK Bristol, salary wasn’t extraordinary but all the rest was great. Advantages such as meals and staff parties, trainings, possibilities to grow within the company were plenty. I recommend
I worked in Wimbledon, as well as in Kingston at times and the staff are the best part of the job. The management team are what is expected of good management. Not highly-strung horrible people like other workplaces. Recommend working at GBK.
GBK has great staff and management, it has taught me how to be highly resourceful, flexible and enthusiastic catering assistant and giving me experience of maintaining high standards of service and production within the kitchen and other food areas.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Gourmet Burger Kitchen?
If the restaurant is busy, shifts go quickly when there's enough staff on. if it's empty it's likely you will be put on an extended unpaid break, which has often lasted 2 hours. the company pay well, the uniform is pretty standard and the menu is straightforward. however I did often feel looked down upon by some members of management which made me feel uncomfortable in my work
Really fun experience, lovely coworkers just overall really enjoyable time, was really busy and stressful but thats what you expect for a well established restaurant in canary wharf
During my time at GBK I have gained skills that helped me improve not only my work but also life/personal problems. It has helped me mature and become the person I am today. Should you wish a career or enhance your skills in management: GBK is the place as their development program is quick and detailed.
A typical day included welcoming in customers, serving food and taking orders at the bar. Dealing with customers was mostly fine, however staff and management were appalling. Obviously that is only my unfortunate experience.
to start with, I have been told that I should not worry about people leaving as they can be easily replaced - that says everything about the company - you won't be looked after. what you get paid for what you have to deal with is basically not enough, considering you get barely any tips (no surprise, the restaurant does not offer any service really). new staff do not receive any training, management only care about hitting targets set by the head office. new managers left on their own without any training, don't be fooled by so called 'induction week' - they will only show you the basics and expect you just to do the job from day one. FOH seem to be complaining about everything, no one is really commited to do their job, which makes it difficult to work as a team.
This job can be stressful at times due to dealing with difficult customers, the hours are normally quite long. The people you work with are easy to get along with, overall its a fun and easy environment to work in.
Pros
free meals
Cons
long hours.
I was really fulfilled, so happy about the team, all good about the system, we used to work in
awesome people, really welcoming and could have a real laugh , everything was good until new management where having any social life was impossible and being over worked is such an understatement , people who worked there years were leaving from bad attitude towards staff and treating staff like nothing. Asking people who had cig breaks had to clock out and holidays where being thrown on your days off without you knowing and only having two people serve the whole restaurant and two people on bar but having four people on the till so orders where piling up constantly and food was getting served before drinks plus free refills and there’s sauces that only the waitress and waiter can get for tables so the servers are doing free refills and serving food while dealing with complaints and retrieving sauces also running up and down two flight of stairs to serve the second floor of customers
Pros
Awesome people and free food
Cons
Everything else
Not the best company to work for. It is just over minimum wage and nobody really cares. The food is good but you should only consider working for GBK as a stopgap whilst you find a better company to work for.
The hygiene of this place was exceptional - everything was cleaned daily, and none of the ingredients was served past its use-by date. The staff meals could be bought for points that we earned each working hour, and filled our stomachs for long hours. On the minus side, the wage was quite low, and working hours so long to only leave time for travel (often long because of crowded location) and sleep.
Started in 2017, was a really fun job and I loved coming to work, but recently I found the job becoming repetative and a bit boring because I had been doing it for so long but I loved the people and everyone cares about each other so much.
Pros
All the people, managment, fun
Cons
Zero hour contract
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gourmet Burger Kitchen. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9