Goldsmiths University Employee Reviews

Low stress
Facilities Assistant & Project Support (Current Employee) –  London19 September 2018
This workplace is not too stressful, however it can be difficult to move forward in your career. This is a particular problem if you are highly ambitious.
Nice Place To Work If You Find A Good Department
Administrative Roles (various) (Former Employee) –  Different Departments11 August 2018
Colleagues and students good to work with. There are possibilities of flexible working and it's useful if you live locally because it makes for easier commuting.

Disappointing support from middle and senior management. Workplace culture is stress and overloading of work in many departments, with understaffing and lack of budgets. High staff turnover means teams are frequently left covering additional roles for long periods until replacements are recruited. Beware higher grade roles are often on unlimited hour contracts (ie you will be expected to work evenings and weekends to complete your workload).

Choose your department with care - the nice ones can be excellent to work in.
Pros
Good if live locally
Cons
Poor treatment of staff by management; lots of problems with stress due to unfeasibly high workloads
Great work environment
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  London21 May 2018
Great work environment, friendly team, well organised. Workplace culture is about respect and trust towards the employees. Enjoyable job as it is very varied.
Friendly workplace
Graduate Researcher & Associate Lecturer (Current Employee) –  London20 March 2018
It's a relaxing working environment, but the location is a bit far from the city. It's also located in quite rough area. Don't recommend that people walk in that area at the late night
Relaxed and friendly
IT Support (Current Employee) –  New Cross, Greater London13 March 2018
Atmosphere is usually quite friendly and relaxed.

Hardest part of the job is when loads of students/teachers come but we are understaffed

I enjoy being able to meet hundreds of students per week
Pros
Pay, flexibility, team
Cons
Late hours, management
The senior management team is taking it backwards
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Twenty31 March 2017
A culture of fear and indifference is permeating from the top downwards and that is resulting in ever more bad ideas being implemented upon a great but increasingly cynical and tiring staff. Huge potential but not being tapped.
Very brief job but enjoyed it
Disability Access Advisor (Former Employee) –  London, UK30 March 2017
Goldsmiths is forward thinking when it comes to disability access and is dedicated to accommodating its disabled students.

Several building-and-estates employees joined me for a walk and talk around the campus as I pointed out trip hazards and awkward spaces and advised on solutions.

I was sought out as a result of my knowledge, interest and enthusiasm This was my first paid job and I felt confident about giving advice and the feedback was positive.

The hardest part of the job was later -- the frustration in not seeing immediate changes.
Pros
working for my enlightened university
Good Location
Night Team Manager (Former Employee) –  London23 February 2017
Good opportunity to advance and gain new skills. Great area to work, good food places, and easy travel into the City. Great atmosphere for a University
Pros
Good opportunities for learning new skills
Cons
Culture is a barrier for imitative
Sttaff are great fun and very helpful.
Student Finance Officer (Former Employee) –  London14 October 2015
Very busy dealing with students, which teaches you a lot of patience.
My co-workers were great. Management seems to know very little about what goes on.
The hardest part of the job was depending on Management to get things done.
The interaction with the different departments was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
easy to get to.
Cons
Some quite stuck up people
Barista / Chef / Supervisor / Hospitality Manager (Current Employee) –  london17 May 2015
Typical day is working along side the kitchen staff to ensure a good service, if many functions on arranging staff

I love working with people
I have learned all aspects of my job
Pros
free lunches
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  London22 August 2014
Great atmosphere. My co workers were all students so the was a sense of camaraderie.