Goldsmiths, University of London Employee Reviews

productive and independent
Research Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  New Cross, Greater London11 October 2018
Gave me skills on how to use E-PRIME and Matlab
Advanced my skills on cognitive psychology.
I data collected the whole sample which allowed to be acknowledged on the published journal.
Pros
experience in the research industry, I had my name classed as the data collector in the published journal
Cons
long hours and it was an unpaid internship
Low stress
Facilities Assistant & Project Support (Current Employee) –  London19 September 2018
This workplace is not too stressful, however it can be difficult to move forward in your career. This is a particular problem if you are highly ambitious.
Fun and engaging
Community Outreach Worker (Former Employee) –  London24 August 2018
I thrived in organising and delivering sessions in Goldsmiths University and outside for school groups. The people we worked with were encouraging and appreciative.
Nice Place To Work If You Find A Good Department
Administrative Roles (various) (Former Employee) –  Different Departments11 August 2018
Colleagues and students good to work with. There are possibilities of flexible working and it's useful if you live locally because it makes for easier commuting.

Disappointing support from middle and senior management. Workplace culture is stress and overloading of work in many departments, with understaffing and lack of budgets. High staff turnover means teams are frequently left covering additional roles for long periods until replacements are recruited. Beware higher grade roles are often on unlimited hour contracts (ie you will be expected to work evenings and weekends to complete your workload).

Choose your department with care - the nice ones can be excellent to work in.
Pros
Good if live locally
Cons
Poor treatment of staff by management; lots of problems with stress due to unfeasibly high workloads
Inspiring
Post-graduate internship (Former Employee) –  New Cross13 June 2018
very inspiring environment. I had the opportunity to get experience in Neuropsychological research field. I improved my skills in research methodology and my knowledge in Neuroscience. The work environment was relaxed and all staff very supportive.
Great work environment
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  London21 May 2018
Great work environment, friendly team, well organised. Workplace culture is about respect and trust towards the employees. Enjoyable job as it is very varied.
Friendly workplace
Graduate Researcher & Associate Lecturer (Current Employee) –  London20 March 2018
It's a relaxing working environment, but the location is a bit far from the city. It's also located in quite rough area. Don't recommend that people walk in that area at the late night
Relaxed and friendly
IT Support (Current Employee) –  New Cross, Greater London13 March 2018
Atmosphere is usually quite friendly and relaxed.

Hardest part of the job is when loads of students/teachers come but we are understaffed

I enjoy being able to meet hundreds of students per week
Pros
Pay, flexibility, team
Cons
Late hours, management
Nice culture
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  London7 January 2018
Goldsmiths has a nice culture promoting inclusion and diversity.
Relaxed workplace, you are surrounded by interesting people.
Good salary and advancement opportunities.
Productive and interesting place to work
Assistant Trainee - Club Pulse (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London22 November 2017
A typical day includes cleaning the machines and helping any customers as well as trying to recruit new customers, the work place has a lot of machines which you are taught how to use and handle. The work place has a good family community culture.
Good Pay and Worked with lots of people
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  New Cross, Greater London1 September 2017
Worked with a variety of people of all different backgrounds and ages and on a variety of different events. Events included: open days, recruitment fairs, summer schools and fresher fairs.
Great
Studio Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Goldsmiths University of London21 July 2017
Goldsmiths is a fantastic employer. The university offers a very fair work ethics and provide of a competitive salary to its employes, also the premises are modern and efficient.
Good environment and exceptional management
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New Cross, Greater London5 July 2017
Very good place to work, great people to be around, practical but hands on jobs to do, very laidback but still active. Treated with great hospitality by all types of staff, would work there again.
Pros
flexibility to work and do set tasks, easy environment
Cons
n/a
I love help other people!
Computing Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  London28 June 2017
A typical day at work is all about students. We assist teachers in many ways but most importantly, being proactive and helping students to accomplish their assignments in a motivating way.

The hardest part is to debug someone else code in minutes, especially when you are not familiar with the entire code and need to understand it in 1 or 2 minutes.

The best part of the job is being in touch with so many creative people.
Pros
Funny at all time
productive and safe
tutor (Former Employee) –  Goldsmiths, University of London14 May 2017
People are very friendly and the atmosphere is very safe and calm. It is very productive and fun. We have given a teaching program in the beginning and if we have any question, we have been given the name, telephone number and the address of the people who can answer our questions and solve the problem.
Useful and interesting
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London13 May 2017
Internship about environmental sustainability. Was very interesting , working within a team I realised I like team work. It's good to do during your studies as it is flexible.
positive working environment, respectful work place and polite staff
Live Sound Enginner and Technician (Current Employee) –  London13 April 2017
A job which has allowed me to gain further experience and confidence in the area of interest I have (live sound and music production).

The most enjoyable part of the job is being part of a hard working team and as a result of this achieving high quality events.
Pros
I am currently a student and it is convenient to work where I study
Cons
N/a
The senior management team is taking it backwards
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Twenty31 March 2017
A culture of fear and indifference is permeating from the top downwards and that is resulting in ever more bad ideas being implemented upon a great but increasingly cynical and tiring staff. Huge potential but not being tapped.
Very brief job but enjoyed it
Disability Access Advisor (Former Employee) –  London, UK30 March 2017
Goldsmiths is forward thinking when it comes to disability access and is dedicated to accommodating its disabled students.

Several building-and-estates employees joined me for a walk and talk around the campus as I pointed out trip hazards and awkward spaces and advised on solutions.

I was sought out as a result of my knowledge, interest and enthusiasm This was my first paid job and I felt confident about giving advice and the feedback was positive.

The hardest part of the job was later -- the frustration in not seeing immediate changes.
Pros
working for my enlightened university
Cons
Conference service management needs improvement
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  London29 March 2017
Goldsmiths itself is an excellent place to work but the conference service department felt a little tight. Working as an RA is quite tough as you have to deal with various problems from health issues to maintenance but in most cases RA's had little support from management. Although, there have been improvements lately which may have dealt with these issues.
Pros
Work/Live on site, good team
Cons
24 hour shifts