Goldsmiths, University of London

Goldsmiths, University of London Employee Reviews

United Kingdom41 reviews
A unique place to work. An academic centre of creative expression.
Goldsmiths University prides itself on fuelling a creative community, which also promotes academic excellence. New ideas and thinking for oneself is encouraged, and research projects span across the arts, cultural studies, and social sciences. Goldsmiths host some amazing lecturers and students who go on to do great things. An interdisciplinary approach has helped students to cross academic boundaries, in order to enhance their comparative understanding of humanities.

Academically, Goldsmiths is of a very high standard, particularly in the areas of media, politics, and sociology. The Philosophy Centre offers advanced seminars to the public, and the main building hosts a cinema and bar open to the public. Goldsmiths have celebrated "diversity and inclusion" for many years, but this achievement has been undermined in recent years, due to some very bad press concerning discrimination. The senior management are incredibly slow to respond to such issues. Indeed, there appears to be a massive disconnect between senior management and the academic staff. However, there is a real opportunity to reconnect with their "original values" when they were Goldsmiths College, before the commercialisation of UK Higher Education.
Pros
Chilled out
Cons
But complacent!
Producation
Work as a student ambassador is fun
Part time job is great

social media job the fun, I can work on material anything I like.

Recommond to anyone, muti language and experience
Varied and interesting.
Very invested stakeholders, many hard workers. There is a lack of stability due to manystaff leaving in the last couple of years. The college has a strong reputaion for creative thiking and social sciences.
Great
I was employed throughout my studies as a student ambassador. Pay was varied dependent on assignment. Good team, excellent workforce. Overall loved everything about Goldsmiths and miss the place
Great atmosphere.
It was a great experience to work at a multicultural and multidisciplinary place sharing ideas with people from different backgrounds. Fantastic atmosphere in general.
Good University
Good University to study at for Film and fun opportunities within the degree to learn and make films. Good learning of industry workflow and collaborating with a team
Excellant place to work
Goldsmiths is a exciting environment to work consisting of 28 buildings with over 200 teaching spaces. Working closely with main builders facilities to deliver state of the art teaching spaces. The staff are friendly, polite and professional and always keen to assist in the challenging environment.Working with 3rd party vendors to deliver the Av was a pleasure, I would recommend Goldsmiths as a good work place
Not great!!
Not a great place to work!! The organisation was going through changes by the time I joined. While I was there many people left due to frustration.
Na
Best company I worked also i learnt so much when I worked for the company and also I gained so much knowledge working there and working as a team I enjoyed
Nice environment
Nice environment to work in, everyone is willing to help and support you.
The salary is not amazing as a research assistant but the good life/work balance makes up for it.
productive and independent
Gave me skills on how to use E-PRIME and Matlab
Advanced my skills on cognitive psychology.

I data collected the whole sample which allowed to be acknowledged on the published journal.
Pros
experience in the research industry, I had my name classed as the data collector in the published journal
Cons
long hours and it was an unpaid internship
Low stress
This workplace is not too stressful, however it can be difficult to move forward in your career. This is a particular problem if you are highly ambitious.
Fun and engaging
I thrived in organising and delivering sessions in Goldsmiths University and outside for school groups. The people we worked with were encouraging and appreciative.
Nice Place To Work If You Find A Good Department
Colleagues and students good to work with. There are possibilities of flexible working and it's useful if you live locally because it makes for easier commuting.

Disappointing support from middle and senior management. Workplace culture is stress and overloading of work in many departments, with understaffing and lack of budgets. High staff turnover means teams are frequently left covering additional roles for long periods until replacements are recruited. Beware higher grade roles are often on unlimited hour contracts (ie you will be expected to work evenings and weekends to complete your workload).

Choose your department with care - the nice ones can be excellent to work in.
Pros
Good if live locally
Cons
Poor treatment of staff by management; lots of problems with stress due to unfeasibly high workloads
Inspiring
very inspiring environment. I had the opportunity to get experience in Neuropsychological research field. I improved my skills in research methodology and my knowledge in Neuroscience. The work environment was relaxed and all staff very supportive.
Great work environment
Great work environment, friendly team, well organised. Workplace culture is about respect and trust towards the employees. Enjoyable job as it is very varied.
good place to develop
Cannot really rate this place because it was a short lived experience. Unfortunately there is no filter on indeed to separate this kind of experience.
Friendly workplace
It's a relaxing working environment, but the location is a bit far from the city. It's also located in quite rough area. Don't recommend that people walk in that area at the late night
Relaxed and friendly
Atmosphere is usually quite friendly and relaxed.

Hardest part of the job is when loads of students/teachers come but we are understaffed

I enjoy being able to meet hundreds of students per week
Pros
Pay, flexibility, team
Cons
Late hours, management
Nice culture
Goldsmiths has a nice culture promoting inclusion and diversity.
Relaxed workplace, you are surrounded by interesting people.

Good salary and advancement opportunities.
Productive and interesting place to work
A typical day includes cleaning the machines and helping any customers as well as trying to recruit new customers, the work place has a lot of machines which you are taught how to use and handle. The work place has a good family community culture.