Go Train Employee Reviews

Incredibly supportive
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Kent2 July 2018
The team across all Go Train locations are very friendly, hard working and willing to help.

Management are really supportive; they helped me to achieve a new qualification which has really enhanced my knowledge of the role. They offer and fund qualifications for many members of staff to help with their development.

Fantastic organisation to work for and they're expanding meaning they must be good at what they do.
Pros
Supportive, provide free qualifications, healthcare benefit
Work placement
Administrator Assist (Former Employee) –  Tottenham4 June 2018
One of the most best experiences I received. I learnt a lot from the staff at Go Train! Great manager and administrator! They taught me a lot about the company and to help me understand what my role is.
Pros
Free coffee and Tea
Don't even bother
Functional Skills Tutor in English & Maths (Former Employee) –  Different locations23 March 2018
To begin with, I thoroughly enjoyed this job and meeting all the new clients that I was able to help and work with.
Sadly though, If the company need a escape goat, then the newest person on the team will be it. They are very unprofessional, the management isn't chosen by skill or work experience and overall, the workplace culture isn't as friendly as it should be. It's all about who knows who is this company and how many friends you can make with the higher members of staff.
It is a very rewarding job and the people you meet will tell you the trials they've been through and you'll get the satisfaction of making their lives better but sadly, the job itself and the staff and the company, let the whole experience down and ruin what should be one of the most rewarding jobs you'll ever do.
Pros
the people you help.
Cons
Long hours, poor management
Don't work here!
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Sittingbourne, Kent24 January 2018
I started doing work experience and was promised all full time job afterwards.

When I started, they tested me like a low class cleaner. Just asking me to empty bins and fill up tea and coffee. I received no training whatsoever.

Management had no clue what they were doing and I was there for about 1-2 hours at a time.
Pros
Some people are nice
Cons
Everything else
fun but productive work place
Teaching Assistant (Work Experience) (Former Employee) –  Chatham, Kent16 January 2018
Carrying out work experience at Go Train was a great opportunity for me, it allowed me to get a very good idea of the work place along and the responsibilities that are required within the working environment. As for the environment at Go Train, other members of staff were very friendly and helped me on my way over the first week on the job. A typical day included helping tutors to teach learners a variety of skills in order to help them back into the work place, most often these would be computing based skills. The most enjoyable part of the work experience was being able to meet a range of new people.
great team, and great job satisfaction, terrible pay
Work Skills Tutor (Current Employee) –  Woolwich Riverside14 January 2018
great team, and great job satisfaction, terrible pay for the amount of work that expected of you. a lot of the work load that is expected of your is not in the original job spec.
Pros
great team, job satisfaction
Cons
terrible pay and hard work is not recognised.
Lack vision and the bigger picture
IT Support Technician and Administrator (Former Employee) –  Maidstone, Kent10 December 2017
Very much a company of what works right now and what can we do to scrape by.
Scared of change and when it does happen they panic and are highly under prepared.

Staff are hugely over worked in most departments and underpaid for the skills they offer their particular roles.

Management is very cliquey and do not offer much going forward in terms of advancement for staff.

Old equipment trying to run up to date programmes.
Pros
Good health package
Cons
poor salaries and poor work equipment
High pressure and never good enough
Training Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Thanet, Kent27 November 2017
Very high pressured environment where staff is not valued.
Working long hours without acknowledgement or any perks.
Most staff doesn't last longer than 6 months.
Not enough staff training.
Pros
helping people
Cons
inadequate training and un-supportive management
Go Train
Entry Level (Former Employee) –  Canterbury23 November 2017
Go train is where people would go to for work experience to learn about customer service when needed to have when working in any other place in any company. it is great to learn it, i would recommended it to anyone.
Pros
breaks
Cons
15 minutes one hours lunch break
No Train
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Maidstone16 November 2017
If you want to progress in your career, then Go Train isn't the company for you.
If you work hard and prove yourself it will not matter.

Management are cliquey and only interested in what's beneficial to themselves.

Not a good employer, will add extra responsibilities to your role and they will become expected.

For the responsibility I had, I was earning 9p over national living wage.
When asked for a pay rise, was laughed off and told I'm well paid for what I do.
Pros
Home time
Cons
Over worked and Underpaid
Voluntary
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sittingbourne, Kent9 May 2017
Helping other students to complete course work,filing & general office duties. This is a voluntary scheme run by the department of pensions to help people get qualifications to help them back to work
Pros
Gain courses
Cons
Long hours on feet all day
pretty standard work
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  South East18 April 2017
jobs lacked management and organisation due to a fast growing and productive company but struggled to keep up with maintenance side such as recruiting and decision making.
Pros
IT course
Cons
lack of organisation
Fun, Active
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  SOUTHEND, UK27 March 2017
This was a good experience it helped me prepare for the upcoming challenges i was to face in the near future relating to customer service i felt this was an opportunity to expand my knowledge greatly in the sector i was aiming to work in.
Pros
Short Hours
Cons
repetitive Paperwork
Fun Workplace with Great Collegues
Traineeship Contract Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Maidstone, Kent30 January 2017
Loved working here, everyone was lovely. There's always something to do and no 2 days are ever the same.
Demanding job roles can create conflict of priorities so can make joint/team working difficult.
Most enjoyable part of the job is seeing people succeed and knowing you were part of that.
Pros
Great people working here
Cons
Not everyone has the same priroity due to targets
brilliant company
Assisting tutor (Former Employee) –  Grays Thurrock, Essex13 January 2017
I done my ECDL and English course with Go-train all the staff are lovely and helpful... Would really recommend any one wanting to a course with them. my work experience was very good and every one was very helpful. wonderful place to learn.
Pros
lots of help
Lots of paperwork but very rewarding
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Romford Town6 December 2016
Spend lots of time outside work hours doing paperwork and marking, but a great rewarding job in a stepping stone company. I was able to gain career advancement and on the job training, but work/life balance completely off.
Poor resources
TUTOR (Current Employee) –  Margate16 November 2016
Training minimum, resources had to be begged for but never were delivered, company itself shows no support or respect for employees due to lack of care in giving resources therefore there is a high turn over of staff often.
Pros
Training others is rewarding
Cons
No support and lack of resources very poor
If you want a job with better working conditions, try Sports Direct
Hapless Employee (Former Employee) –  South East England22 October 2016
The people I work with are lovely but the company is dreadful. They penny-pinch, pay rock bottom salaries, expect blood and there is a real culture of blame. The training office is like a battery hen farm, the PCs we are all expected to use are out of date and broken, as are the chairs. The content is wrong a lot of the time, and when learners complain all we can tell them is that we know it is and there's nothing we can do about it. We are expected to study for a qualification which isn't worth anything outside of Go Train, but we have to do this in our own time as we are running around all day because they don't provide enough staff. This means that effectively we earn less than minimum wage.
Pros
Cons
Worse than Sports Direct, I imagine
friendly and fun
Admin Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Dartford27 April 2016
I liked doing my work experience here, everyone was really supportive and friendly, i learnt alot of new skills and boosted my confidence
Pros
support
Cons
it was only work experience
Go Train
Training Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Maidstone19 February 2016
Great to work in a fast paced team environment, supporting and motivating each other.

Enjoyed working for Go Train, developed good time management, confidence and leadership skills. Completed 2 teaching qualifications during my time which have helped me progress in my career path.

Regular reviews and support from my manager, giving me the freedom to manage my caseload, develop my tutoring skills and learner management.

Enjoyed supporting learners back into employment and developing their personal and educational skills. Very rewarding job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Go Train. Our community is ready to answer.